PDA

View Full Version : Oh oh an experiment...Saltine Cracker Crumb Candy

Connie of Trenton
07-11-2006, 07:31 PM
This recipe sounded so interesting I had to try it...and we liked it.

35 saltine crackers
1 cup margarine/butter
1 cup brown sugar
12oz. chocolate chips
ground nuts-optional

Cover 11x16 cookie sheet with heavy foil. Spray with Pam. Arrange crackers in single layer on top of foil. Place margarine/butter and brown sugar in 2 quart sauce pan. Bring to a boil and cook 3 minutes stirring often. Spoon over crackers and bake in 375 degree oven for 7 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately top with chocolate chips. Allow to melt and spread the melted chocolate over crackers. Sprinkle nuts on top if desired. Refrigerate. When cooled, break into desired size pieces.

kat3668
07-11-2006, 07:47 PM
I make this every year at Christmas and hand it out to coworkers family etc.. very easy and yummy!
You can also top with heath bar bits or crushed cany canes...

Connie of Trenton
07-12-2006, 09:15 AM
kat3668...so do you put the heath bar bits/candy canes on top of the chocolate chips or do you just eliminate the chocolate chips?

kat3668
07-12-2006, 02:33 PM
kat3668...so do you put the heath bar bits/candy canes on top of the chocolate chips or do you just eliminate the chocolate chips?

I just sprinkle on once the chocolate is spread out :cool1:

Connie of Trenton
07-13-2006, 07:48 AM
kat3668...thanks. Not that this candy wasn't already good but the thought of Heath bars on it is just amazing!

Liliyana
07-13-2006, 07:52 PM
:rotfl: This is a favorite of my family's. My mother made a batch for DBF and I last week, and his exact words were, "you have found my weakness." So simple and sooooo gooood.

tarheelmjfan
07-14-2006, 04:42 PM
What does this candy taste like? I love that it sounds really easy to make. I'm trying to come up with some sweet treats to make for our upcoming trip. I just can't imagine what this combination would taste like together. :teeth:

kat3668
07-14-2006, 05:00 PM
What does this candy taste like? I love that it sounds really easy to make. I'm trying to come up with some sweet treats to make for our upcoming trip. I just can't imagine what this combination would taste like together. :teeth:
It tastes just like a heath bar... it soooooo good!

tarheelmjfan
07-14-2006, 05:48 PM
Do I need to add the Heath Bar bits to make them taste like a Heath Bar? Also, how long will they stay fresh? I'd like to make them a few days ahead of our trip, since I'll have so much to do right before we leave. Sorry, if these are dumb questions. :blush: I've never heard of this candy.

Connie of Trenton
07-14-2006, 09:10 PM
I did not add anything over the chocolate and it was yummy. It does already have a Heath Bar taste. I can only imagine the Heath Bars would be a great addition. It is fairly rich so when you break it into pieces I don't think they need to be that large. I think you could make a few days ahead and refrigerate them. You'll probably need to hide them so the family will keep out! I know the saltine crackers seem like a weird ingredient but its for real.

Liliyana
07-15-2006, 09:45 AM
What does this candy taste like? I love that it sounds really easy to make.

Definitely try it! It tastes like mega-rich toffee, but softer, so easier on the teeth ;) The saltines give it a crunchy base.

tarheelmjfan
07-15-2006, 02:00 PM
I'm going to try this later next week, closer to our trip. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again for all the info. :)

Certifiable WDW Nut
07-19-2006, 04:24 PM
My DSIL does this at Passover with Matzah. Makes for sweet treat that's kosher for Passover.

hlbtimes2
07-20-2006, 01:20 PM
You can also make this recipe with graham crackers, instead of the stalines.

Tink_Fan
07-21-2006, 04:47 PM
I LOVE this recipe!!!

tarheelmjfan
07-22-2006, 10:28 AM
I made this last night to take with us on our trip. Of course, I had to taste it this morning to make sure it turned out okay. :rolleyes1 YUMMY!!! I'll be able to tell more, once I've eaten a few more pieces. ;) After 1 little piece, I think I like it better than a Heath bar. Thanks to the OP, & everyone else who offered tips & advice. :)

FSUDisneyGirl
07-22-2006, 01:51 PM
i foudn this recipe a few months ago on a different website, i love it! my friends didn't believe that it was made out of crackers! :rotfl:
(until i made them look at the bottom, where they could see the cracker!)

this is also really good white both milk chocolate and white chocolate chips, and my roommate usually also sprinkles almonds or pecans on top..yum! :teeth:

tarheelmjfan
07-22-2006, 03:39 PM
I probably should have asked this, before making the candy. :blush: Does this need to stay in the fridge? I was hoping it wouldn't, because we have so much that needs to stay cold. When I took it out to break it apart, it seemed like it was starting to melt. Will it? TIA :)