PDA

View Full Version : How much do you spend at Disney??

schmoopypoo
07-11-2006, 11:53 AM
Hi all :wave: Me and DBF are going to Disney in November for 6 days. I was just curious as to what sort of figures I should be looking at for spending money. The hotel/airfare/park tickets are already paid for. So we would just need money for food and souvies. And we are only eating at 2 sit down places...the rest would just be counter service. I also have a 4 year old daughter who is NOT coming :guilty: so I'm sure I will go crazy buying things for her (I know, I just can't help it).

So just wanted to know what people typically spend at Disney for a week. Thanks guys :)

bevtoy
07-11-2006, 12:04 PM
subscribing

bettyann29
07-11-2006, 01:13 PM
I really depends.. because everyones spending habits are different... Me and Df are going to WDW for 3 days in September.. The only money we will need is for food, souvenirs and extras.. I plan on bringing $150 for souvenirs (he probably wont bring any as he doesnt buy them).. I plan on bringing breakfast items to eat in the hotel in the morning so we wont need to purchase breakfast while there.. I have Rainforest Cafe giftcards for our lunch there.. we are doing Liberty Tree Tavern for dinner one night and that will be about $60 plus tip.. other than that its all counter service and I plan on $25 each meal for 2 of us.. so we will need 4 meals besides ones listed so I have a total of $160 plus tip that will be set aside for meals.. then we are bringing $30 for extras like a dole whip and ice cream..

You just have to tell yourself how much you will be spending on souvenirs and stuff.. Last year when me and DD8 went we spent waaaaaaaay too much money..

eliza61
07-11-2006, 01:25 PM
Since we go to Disney every ohter year and my sons are all teenagers we don't really spend a lot on souvenirs. Our largest expense continues to be meals. We are the sit down TS type of family (we pretty much get sick of counter service meals after day 2) so I budget $60 per person per day. The one thing that saves us is that we're DVC'ers so I don't have room cost to figure in.
If you think you may go hog wild with gifts for your daughter (I certainly did when my kids were little) try setting a limit just for presents.

Have a great trip.

disneysteve
07-11-2006, 01:28 PM
For the 3 of us, we average $60/day for food, so $40 if there were only 2 of us.

I think last trip we spent about $500-$600 on gifts and souvenirs, but that included a necklace for DW that was $300, so not counting that about $300.

So for 6 days for 2 people, I'd be expecting about $600.

Dopey Sharon
07-11-2006, 01:30 PM
I usually bring $100 a day for the two of us. We usually eat at counter service places, with a couple sit-down dinners here and there.

We don't really buy many souvenirs, since we go at least once a year. I may buy a t-shirt if I see one I like.

We always come home with money left over.

Have fun! :)

schmoopypoo
07-11-2006, 01:38 PM
I already have $500 saved up and I keep adding, but I just hear how some people spend $1000+ but that could be for a fmaily of 3 or 4. thanks for your responses. Now I feel a little better knowing that I have that much saved already.

disneysteve
07-11-2006, 01:45 PM
I already have $500 saved up and I keep adding, but I just hear how some people spend $1000+ but that could be for a fmaily of 3 or 4. thanks for your responses. Now I feel a little better knowing that I have that much saved already.
Some people post here that they spend what I consider outrageous amounts. Some budget $150/day for food for a couple. We spend $60/day for 3. But of course some people spend $300/nite for a hotel and we spend under $300 for a week. There is no reason you have to spend that kind of money. Disney doesn't have to be an expensive vacation, but it certainly can be if you make it one.

ncbyrne
07-11-2006, 01:50 PM
When DH and I travel alone, we plan $100 per day for food - 3 meals plus waters and treats, usually ice cream. We also make at least one substantial house gift purchase - some of the things are: a china floor cat, a cut glass floral bouquet - a wooden kissing statue - etc. I like to buy a piece of jewelry and then we usually purchase a few impulse buys, like the Mickey jigsaw puzzle or new beach towels or the USA flag polo that DH just had to have. Our nonfood purchases usually total in the area of $500 for a 10 day trip.

MHopkins2
07-11-2006, 02:00 PM
Some people post here that they spend what I consider outrageous amounts. Some budget $150/day for food for a couple. We spend $60/day for 3. But of course some people spend $300/nite for a hotel and we spend under $300 for a week. There is no reason you have to spend that kind of money. Disney doesn't have to be an expensive vacation, but it certainly can be if you make it one.
:wave: Outrageous spender, checking in. :) My food budget for my upcoming SOLO trip is ~$100/day.

disneysteve
07-11-2006, 02:39 PM
:wave: Outrageous spender, checking in. :) My food budget for my upcoming SOLO trip is ~$100/day.
I didn't mean "outrageous" in a bad way. No offense intended :sunny: .

inthemood
07-11-2006, 04:01 PM
We are a family of 4 and average about $150.00 !!

MHopkins2
07-11-2006, 04:04 PM
I didn't mean "outrageous" in a bad way. No offense intended :sunny: . Now, Steve, I've known you for a long time - don't try to :sunny: your way out. ;) I fully understand that my budget is in-a-bad-way-outrageous, and am okay with that! It helps that (until I win the lottery) I really don't care about my hotel room, and therefore have no problems staying at Pop Century vs. a mod or deluxe. That decision more than pays for my outrageous eating habits.

Anyway, to the OP... In addition to my food & beverage issues, I am also a serious shopper. There are a couple good ways to keep your spending under control for gifts for your DD:
1) Set a per day or per park amount. This works better for me than one big number, since I would inevitably spend it all on the first day. :teeth:
2) Allow yourself one big whack at World of Disney, preferably on the last day of your trip. They sell SO MUCH STUFF, if you've never been, you can't imagine the size and scope. It's shoppers' heaven, especially if you're shopping for a 4 year old girl.

mommiepoppins
07-11-2006, 04:13 PM
I am saying for us 7 we are doing 50 per day. we also have dd for suvies which we do not need much. I would suggest you do ch outlet for your dd. a good suvie for your dd 8$ for a pink hat with mouse ears that have her name on it

SadieDog
07-11-2006, 09:11 PM
Some people post here that they spend what I consider outrageous amounts. Some budget $150/day for food for a couple. We spend $60/day for 3... There is no reason you have to spend that kind of money. Disney doesn't have to be an expensive vacation, but it certainly can be if you make it one.

I consider $150 a day for a couple much more than I would spend too.
My 2005 Birnbaum's book suggests $50 a day per adult for food. For us that is a high estimate. We did not spend that much a day.

jessica52877
07-11-2006, 09:57 PM
I find for our family of 3 disney to be one of the cheapest places that we can vacation! We stay at either the all stars or a moderate resort and my son is 3 1/2 so most trips were without buying him tickets.

We eat one table service per day and I would plan on spending about $100 a day on food. I think that is more then plenty. But we eat well when we eat, although I drink water. I don't eat alot snacks around the park as everything is so expensive. We also eat our table service at lunch and honestly some nights have more of a snack back at the hotel. We eat breakfast in the room, cereal, pop tarts, etc. Not much of breakfast people.

As for souveniers we hardly spend a dime. I sometimes will buy my son something small (less then $15) but he doesn't ask so I don't tend to buy. I do buy him stuff all the time and put it away for trips (from the disney store) thinking I'll give it to him. Sometimes I remember, but he still isn't big into the I want stage so I Don't push it. At most I would say all trip $50 on souveniers and that is probably more then we spend. Most of it is so overpriced so it has to be something I really want, we can get similar stuff so much cheaper at the disney store, catalog, etc. I am a big sale shopper so disney doesn't fit in well.

branv
07-11-2006, 10:14 PM
We spent more then we planned :blush: Well, to be honest, we just snacked alot more then we planned (dang dole whips ;) )...all that walking sure works up the appetite.

Our last trip was for only 2 days in the park and 3 nights at Pop before a cruise- just me and DH.

Dinner:
Boma plus 2 drinks at the bar
Le Cellier
Baked Potato cart in MK

Lunch:
Restaurantasaurus
Plaza Restaurant

Breakfast:
McDonalds every morning

Snacking:
everything possible
Ghirardelli sundae

Souvenirs:
small stuffed eeyore
pin for my sister
candy for friend

Total $350.

But previously we've tended to eat much cheaper. With only two days we wanted to splurge.

iNTeNSeBLue98
07-12-2006, 07:31 AM
Just there in June for 7 nights/8 days, DH, DD15 and me. We stayed at Pop and I planned about $100 a day for food, drinks and snacks, and $150 each for spending money for the week, or $1000 total. I averaged about $75 a day for food, eating one table service meal or buffet everyday but the first and last and one other buffet that we canceled. DD and I shared meals at 50's Primetime Cafe, Rainforest Cafe and Teppanyaki. DH purchased a refillable mug at Pop and used it at least twice per day to get his money's worth. I packed a bunch of snacks and Capri Sun in a suitcase and always had something in my backpack to munch on while waiting in line or between meals as needed.

All food, drinks, snacks - less than $600 which surprised me
All Souvenirs - about $250 for a tshirt, watch, Mickey ears, small photo album, trading pins, fashion jewelry, etc. DH was happy to come home with nothing more than his mug and photos

DizGeek
07-12-2006, 07:45 AM
Youre talking just spening money for souviners/food right? We are a family of 4 with 2 kids. They are both small kids and eat like squirrels but spend like drunken sailors. We usually figure about $200 per day out of pocket.

yearbook50
07-12-2006, 07:49 AM
I'm the same way. I like good food too.

I may go broke doing it but thats ok :D

annsteere
07-12-2006, 08:16 AM
I plan $50 per person per day.

We eat breakfast in the room to save time and money and we carry in our own coffee beans so we can enjoy first quality coffee in the morning.

$50 means we can enjoy a nice dinner out, snacks during the day, and money left over at the end of the trip.

I'd much rather plan for $50 and only spend $35 than get to the end of the week and either be worried about over-spending or running up a bill on my credit card that I'd didn't have cash to cover when it came due.

(Secretly, I plan to come in under budget. I'd be slightly frustrated if we spent the whole amount. But, at least I'd have it in my vacation fund and ready to spend if we needed it. The leftover money is seed money for the next trip)

missingtwoLGMs
07-12-2006, 08:29 AM
Last year was my first trip since high school and my daughter first trip ever. We went crazy buying us,my parents, sister, and her two boys stuff. I ended up spending $200 a day. Hopefully you have better self control than I had. :smickey: :ccat:

schmoopypoo
07-12-2006, 09:48 AM
Wow! Thank you to everyone who has posted. This is helping me out a lot. This will be my first trip to Disney in 9 years and DBF last went a few years ago. So we knew expenses would go up a bit from our last trips. But this has helped a lot so thanks again, I really appreciate it :) And I realize that everyone has different spending habits and since I have not been there for so long, I will most likely go souvie crazy LOL

keishashadow
07-12-2006, 10:28 AM
We must like to eat:banana: but, our food budget is much higher than what's been posted.

We save money w/DP @ $40/ppday because, we stretch it to cover an "extra day".

Don't underestimate the cost of water/drinks in the parks & CS food costs. A turkey leg, bag of chips & soda costs nearly $13. Otherwise a CS can easily reach $10.

As for TS for 3, we usually come close to $100 for buffets & at least $170+ for dinner.

I usually budget $200 day for food, souveniers, waterparks, min. golf, misc. & come home w/a few hundred dollars left over. good luck.

CherylA
07-12-2006, 10:38 AM
I figure you'll need about $500 for food and maybe $200 for souveniers. If you plan on trying to be frugal you could get by on $350 for food and $100 for souveniers.

Zoemakes5
07-12-2006, 10:46 AM
If we go to Disney the way I want to but without being overly extragent, it's about $100 per day per person for food and souvies together. That would typically be one sit down, one counter, breakfast either in the room or on the go, snacks. The kids cost less per meal, but tend to "make up for it" with the souvie spending.
We're a family of five, so we typically do it for a lot less than that.

disneysteve
07-12-2006, 10:52 AM
I just wanted to add that we eat breakfast in our room and we eat some meals offsite, so that helps keep our costs down. We also share meals frequently and drink tap water. If you insist on bottled water, be prepared to spend a lot more.

Oreo Cookie
07-12-2006, 11:00 AM
I would check out the menus on Allearsnet.com and see the general cost of food, this way you will be able to approximate the amount of money you'll need for dining for the week. As far as souviners go, I would decide on a limit I'm comfortable spending, and then stick to it. If you are visiting all the parks, maybe allocate a certain amount for each park for sovies.

Have a wonderful time!

mommiepoppins
07-12-2006, 11:00 AM
wow reading others plans makes me nervous :confused3 . we are a family of 7 and I am :banana: bringing breakfast,drinks, and snacks, :banana: so i am hopeing to not even spend 50 per day.... i also have 300 dd that will be used for the familys souvies and mine... i hope not even to spend the 50 per day :rolleyes1

Zoemakes5
07-12-2006, 11:03 AM
wow reading others plans makes me nervous :confused3 . we are a family of 7 and I am :banana: bringing breakfast,drinks, and snacks, :banana: so i am hopeing to not even spend 50 per day.... i also have 300 dd that will be used for the familys souvies and mine... i hope not even to spend the 50 per day :rolleyes1

Is that $50 per person per day? Otherwise $50 per day for your whole family is a total of a little over $7 per person per day for two meals. I'm not certain that would even cover one meal per person per day.

ericles
07-12-2006, 11:05 AM

I guess I'm another one!!! Aside from the tickets (we get park hoppers) hotel (depends on what we can swing at the time. Moderates or a DVC rental. we do always stay onsite) and getting there (depends again - if we drive, it's a drive from Maryland, so 14 hours. or we look for good deals outta BWI on Southwest) here is what we budget:

First off we are a family of four. My husband and I. Plus our two meat-eaters - sons ages 8 & 10! We usually budget $350 a day :crazy: for meals, and any other purchases. WE've gonna several times now so the amount of T-shirts and other odds and ends we get per trip goes down a lot. Our eldest son will choose from and eat all of an adult entree. We usually plan on one or two counter service and one sit down meal. However, as the trip goes on - we get more and more tired of the counter service, too. That and the fact that our vacation mentality is such that we go when we can afford to but not before -and to us that means not watching every little dollar when it comes to eating....

That being said, we had a studio at OKW during our last trip with a kitchenette. That was great! Yeah the use of the kitchenette saved us a bunch of $$$ but the convenience was worth 10 times that. And often the boys, and us, get tiredof the same old counter service stuff and it was great to be able to have some fresh fruit and a bowl of rice crispies in the morning!

This past trip - I came home with $$$$ - :bitelip: and I dont' think that we will go again and stay where we can't get a kitchenett in our room, such as the studios at the DVC resorts. Assuming it is available, I think we might try the dining plan on our next trip. Looks like it would make fiscal good-sense for us.

Signed me - the mom who once spent $160 for lunch for a family of 4 at Coral Reef...and we enjoyed every bite!

Kay1
07-12-2006, 11:57 AM
The four of us spent $150/ day on average last Christmas. We stayed at CSR and kept drinks, milk, cheese, etc. in their fridge, and had breakfast in the room every morning and snacks every afternoon. We ate mainly CS and drove offsite for a dinner at Kobe. Some of the money went for a few $5 beers or we could have done better.

kimis
07-28-2006, 11:12 AM
Hi! Make sure you do the Disney Dining. You will so healthy and good! I do buy "goodies" for my grandkids but i have a secret. The Disney stores have great sales right after Christmas and after each season. I buy stuff then. Also you can find Disney stuff with the Disney tags on them on sale at Walmart and Walgreens. Check the dollar stores too. Enjoy!

Tinkerjane
07-28-2006, 11:46 AM
$2000.00 - $3000.00 for food and "stuff." But that is for 10 days. I buy way too much stuff. One of the many reasons we drive is so we can load up the van with more "stuff." But be sure to go to the Disney outlet stores before you buy anything in the park. Especially if you are buying souvies for people back home (which I no longer do.)

hangaboli
07-28-2006, 12:09 PM
What about if you get the Dining Plan? DH, myself and 3 DD's (7, 7 & 5) ... since we are shipping water down and bring breakfast foods and some snacks, along with the CS for lunch and then we have TS for 4 nights of dinner (6 nights, 7 days). So we will have to buy dinner for 2 of those nights. What kind of budget do you think we should do for that?

susan1
07-28-2006, 01:18 PM
I didn't mean "outrageous" in a bad way. No offense intended :sunny: .
pauper spender checking in we allow $70 dollars a day for everything including souvies. have to say that the hotel includes breakfast. don't feel we are mising out. (two adults). our only luxury isa premier annual pass which allows us to spend lots of non expensive days at the water parks :thumbsup2

kkaisu
07-28-2006, 04:10 PM
My DD14 and I will be there for 5 nights - leaving Sunday. We have 7 free meals each - 1 performance breakfast, 1 lauau with Dance Studio, 1 pizza party with Dance studio and 4 CS tickets each. We are bringing $550 dollars for other meals and spending money. I am hoping with the heat we will share food and eat less - that means more spending money ;-) So about $90 a day with 7 free meals.

Anthony1971
07-28-2006, 04:25 PM
The nice part about Disney is the choices. They have reasonable to outrageous. I would suggest checking out http://www.allearsnet.com/ as all the menus are posted then you can figure out a budget that fits.
I have gone there and spent 200 on food and souveniers for 2 for 9 days... now that we have some extra $ we have spent 1,200 on 7 days -- that is not a norm... but I would say 500-600 is :bounce:
Spend what you feel comfortable with Mickey is always happy to take your money I mean accomodate you
MGM = Mickeys got yor Money.

popstar7867
08-02-2006, 01:23 PM
Your best bet would be to visit allearsnet and decide what restaurants if any you plan on eating at. They give all the prices on the website as well as menus! That way you can plan out your costs based on how many nice meals and dinners you plan on doing. You can also estimate counter service meals! I just went with my DBF for 8 days and seven nights. We had about $300 in Disney Rewards from our Credit Cards that we used towards out meals and then spent about $100 each on souvenirs :) We saved by bringing food for breakfast (rice cakes and raisons for me and protein shakes and oatmeal for my DBF) and also brought our own water to the parks and refilled at water fountains! We ate at three buffets while at WDW and did the rest counter service! My DBF eats a lot so the Disney Reward Dollars came in handy for spending money! Have a great trip :)