PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of a Disney Rewards Card????

bnd1218
07-10-2006, 11:48 PM
We have some friends who just went to WDW and paid for their trip with the Disney rewards card. We are going in Dec., and she asked me if we were paying with this card, and I said "no" because I had never heard of it before, and we were planning on just paying for it outright. Anyway, could anyone tell me what the benefits of this card would be? We are not comfortable with credit card debt and would pay it off right after, but if we get discounts or benefits worth having we may go that route. What do you think? Also, has anyone put their entire vacation on the card? Thanks! :wave2:

Glendamax
07-10-2006, 11:55 PM
I just got one last year. Basically 1% of your purchases from your Disney Visa adds up to Disney Dollars. I have put large purchases, and trips on this only if I know I have the money to pay it off so I can get the points. I believe they still give you 0% interest for the first year.

So check it out. I think its worth it.

bnd1218
07-11-2006, 12:20 AM
Thanks! One more question - we will have to pay for our trip in November, so will we be able to "cash out" the disney dollars on our vacation in December? How does that work?

Glendamax
07-11-2006, 12:24 AM
Yes you will. You will have to have at least 20 points, and call them about 2 weeks before you leave to get it in time. But give them a call, better to get the info straight from them - in case I'm wrong about something. I think the site is chase . com / visa - without the spaces. If that's wrong, go to the Disney site.

DeterminedOne
07-11-2006, 04:09 AM
I don't know how much your Disney trip costs, but I'm sure it's in the thousands. For that reason alone you should use a credit card to pay in case something happens, charges can be disputed. This is not a plug for Disney Visa (although, it's the only card we use :) ) but something to consider when shelling out big $$.

tkd lisa
07-11-2006, 05:19 AM
Chase typically runs a promotion where it's 0% interest on Disney trips for something like 6 months. So you can basically use their money for free during that timeframe. Add to that the 1% reward and it makes very good financial sense to charge your trip. Of course, this only makes sense if you don't actually accrue interest (in other words, you have to pay it off before the interest comes due).

In order to have your rewards available on your trip, you have to actually get your reward card. They advertise something like 10 days for getting this card initially. You have to start with at least 20 reward dollars, then you can transfer in increments of 10 (I think). Your dollars are available based on your billing cycle. So in order to have the reward dollars from the actual trip available, you'd have to charge the trip the month before you actually leave, then request the rewards card immediately after the billing cycle. If you get another billing cycle close before you leave, you can transfer those dollars to the card you already have via the web or by calling them. One last option is that you can pick up a rewards card at guest services in DTD (it's near Giardelli's). That could save you from spending a "rush" charge if your billing cycle and trip dates don't allow for the normal shipping of the card.

If you buy this as a package, you have to make payment something like 6 weeks before the date of the trip anyway. So all this should work out. And finally, remember that once you've gotten a rewards card and transferred reward $ to it, there is an experation date on those dollars. I got my card in February of this year, and the dollars expire December of 2007. So if you've got a lot of reward dollars, (more than you'd spend) don't move them all over to the card. The expiration only applies to dollars that are actually on the card.

If you're still confused, you might hop over to the budget board. There are lots of Disney visa reward experts over there.

beeayekay
07-11-2006, 01:15 PM
Just got a Disney Chase VIsa to pay for the Segway and Backstage Magic Tours. When booked with the Disney card, you get a 20% discount. I also received 0% interest for a year and a $40 credit on my bill. Great deal on those tours!

thinkerbell
07-11-2006, 01:41 PM
You also get a discount (can't remember how much) at World of Disney in DD. You don't actually have to use the card to get the discount, just show it to them--but, you can put all that you spend while you are at Disney on the card and then just pay it off when you get home and then you have more disney dollars for the next trip.

And, as beeayekay said you get discounts on the behind the scenes tours. We received 20% off the KTTK tour at MK. That was the biggest discount that they offered. I think AAA card was 15% and the AP got something off too but not as much as the credit card.

Wigit12
07-11-2006, 01:48 PM
There's also a special meet & greet area in Epcot just for Chase Disney Visa holders. You get a free picture (5x7 I think). There was only a 5 minute wait when we did it and they took a lot of pictures for us with our camera. It was great!!
It was Mickey, Minnie, Pluto and Goofy when we were there.

Cinderumbrella
07-11-2006, 02:12 PM
We are thinking about getting one of these since our regular mastercard is just a boring no annual fee does nothing for us kind of card (We are Discover people ;) ). What types of promotions do they offer when you first open the card?

SLDL
07-11-2006, 02:46 PM
Where is the picture in Epcot? Are all the characters there at one time? And I'm assuming they mail the picture to you??

Also, in DTD, do you just show them the card? I had an insert in my bill a few months ago about a discount, but I forgot to save it. I was thinking I'd have to have that.

One more ?...when you get all your points transferred to a card, use that card and accrue more points, then call to get more points transferred on that same card, how long does that take? Is it immediate?? Thanks so much!!

ceecee
07-11-2006, 02:51 PM
Yes, you have one card and the rewards points are transferred to it.
Epcot has characters of their choice...we got Mickey, Goofy and Pluto, you pick up the photo before you leave the park (it is a 5x7).
DD offers a 10% discount at the Disney Store there, we just showed our card, it pays for the tax!

jenr812
07-11-2006, 03:44 PM
The character meet and greet expires 9/30/06 (coincides with the Happiest Celebration end). I am really hoping they'll extend it or make a similar offer though - that promotion began the day we LEFT WDW last year (7/8/05) and will end before we get back (5/24/07).

There are several threads on the budget board with links where you can get $25-$50 in reward dollars just for using the card once. Do a search to find them :) I'm in the middle of cooking dinner and am about to sign off or I'd look for you.

If you want to take advantage of the 6 months no interest option for your trip, you have to charge the whole trip to the card (not at the same time though). So if you've already paid the deposit you can't get the 6 months no interest offer. However it is still worth it to charge it to get the reward dollars. You can make an extra $20-50 disney dollars to spend just by charging the package price and then paying it off right away, depending on the cost of your trip (not including any special incentives for signing up!) Not too shabby. :)

ICF
07-11-2006, 03:55 PM
Do a search to find them :)

There's a concept.....as usually there are 2-3 threads on the 1st page every day asking about this card!!!

bnd1218
07-11-2006, 06:17 PM
There's a concept.....as usually there are 2-3 threads on the 1st page every day asking about this card!!!

That was rude. I and many others are new to this website and appreciate all of the help people give with questions (which to quote "there's a concept", since that is what this website is for - helping each other with questions). Think what you want, but keep your sarcastic comments to yourself.

And to all of the others who have replied - THANK YOU - your information has been very helpful!

tmt martins
07-11-2006, 07:30 PM
That was rude. I and many others are new to this website and appreciate all of the help people give with questions (which to quote "there's a concept", since that is what this website is for - helping each other with questions). Think what you want, but keep your sarcastic comments to yourself.

And to all of the others who have replied - THANK YOU - your information has been very helpful!

Don't worry and the Search hasn't been working lately anyhow .

1st I use my DV for everything that takes it and was paying it off everymonth .But with 3 trips and DVC I'm a bit behind ( it will take me a few more months to get it back to a 0 Balance.

I enjoy seeing the Disney every time I wip it out it puts me in the Disney mood.

I don't really do it for the 1% back ( but the $400 helped with this trip ) .I enjoy all the other perks that go with it. They change offend but most are things I would be doing anyhow.

Get it use it and enjoy

ICF
07-11-2006, 07:50 PM
That was rude.....Think what you want, but keep your sarcastic comments to yourself.

That comment may have been rude, but I'll comment whatever I want...thank you very much.

It also doesn't change the fact that I would guess that at least a couple of threads are posted everyday asking about this card and they are usually the same questions day after day.

Chickysmom
07-11-2006, 07:51 PM
http://www.firstusa.com/cgi-bin/webcgi/webserve.cgi?partner_dir_name=disney_50ddrd_altmed ia&page=cont&mkid=6SWH11

Here's a link to read more about the card and get 50.00 Reward Dollars.....

aquaticmom
07-11-2006, 10:38 PM

Most of us here at DIS are more than happy to answer any question for new Dis members as well as "old" Dis members, without being rude and proud of it. :sad2: Welcome to DIS and please continue to ask your questions as most of your responses will be kind ones. :wave:

Glendamax
07-11-2006, 11:16 PM
Most of us here at DIS are more than happy to answer any question for new Dis members as well as "old" Dis members, without being rude and proud of it. :sad2: Welcome to DIS and please continue to ask your questions as most of your responses will be kind ones. :wave:

Same here! Hope we were able to give you some help! And remember, when you get a chance, go to the source. Policies change so often, and I wouldn't want you to get any "expired" info from us. :wave2:

-G

AJKMOM
08-26-2006, 08:23 PM
The Search feature rarely works here anyway.

mcgypsy
01-26-2007, 05:52 PM
I've looked at the Disney Rewards website and saw that you could do this exclusive meet and greet, but there's no info on how to find out the time and exact location. How did you know where to go and when? Is it everyday or only certain days of the week? Thanks!

Magix
01-26-2007, 06:26 PM
At WDW, it's every day 1:30pm to 4:30pm at Epcot Innoventions West. At DLR, it's at DCA every day, park opening to 11:30am at Ariel's Grotto.

runwad
01-26-2007, 06:29 PM
I've looked at the Disney Rewards website and saw that you could do this exclusive meet and greet, but there's no info on how to find out the time and exact location. How did you know where to go and when? Is it everyday or only certain days of the week? Thanks!

If I remember correctly this promotion has been extended till 9/07, it is in INNOVENTIONS in Epcot from 1 - 4, or is it 1:30 - 4:30:confused3 and I can't remember if it's East or West, oh why do I bother trying to help people :lmao: Oh good Magix was posting same time I was, ya what she said.

Oh and someone asked about the reward card, that I do have an answer for. If after you order your first card, keep it ,you can call or go online and transfer any new reward dollars to that same card instantaniously, no need to wait for a new card in the mail. :banana:

3dog2kidmom
01-26-2007, 06:58 PM
If I remember correctly this promotion has been extended till 9/07, it is in INNOVENTIONS in Epcot from 1 - 4, or is it 1:30 - 4:30:confused3 and I can't remember if it's East or West, oh why do I bother trying to help people :lmao: :

This is still valid!! It's Innovations West. We were just there on 1/13. It was Goofy & Minnie. The free picture was there by the time we walked to the Camera Shop (at the entrance to the park). Oh and the time was 1:30, though I stopped at Guest Services to ask for sure on my way in :)

We love the Disney Visa. Had 547 rewards dollars to use on our trip last week. It covered all but $11 of my onboard charges on our cruise :goodvibes