PDA

View Full Version : Most economical/easy way to get snacks/drinks to your hotel at WDW?

traces7
07-10-2006, 08:32 PM
It's just going to be me and my 7 year old DD. I just need a few snacks, breakfast items, juice boxes and water. I was going to try and carry it in my luggage, but that seems like a pain. Than I saw on these forums gardengrocer, etc, those seem like they may be kind of expensive. I'm not sure what I should do. How much does it cost to ship a package to your hotel? Has anyone done that? What seems most economical and worthwhile for just us two? Thanks for your help! :)

disneydancer1969
07-10-2006, 08:39 PM
well when go to disney we have 4 kids a 3,4,6,8 so we need a bit of food. what we do is we always stay at the polynesian and we take the monorail to magic kingdom then the bus to coronado springs and stop by their little grocerie shop. or if we do it before we check in we put our junk or luggage in the trunk of our rental car and drive to coronado springs. hope that helps we got back from so i am very tired we are going water country usa tommorow so i have to go to bed soon. have fun though

jmurphy625
07-10-2006, 08:59 PM
Where are you staying? I think for the two of you could probably just grab a few things at the store...I think the hotels that have villa's have a bigger selection of "grocery items" since the villas have kitchens...At the beach club we bought a box of frozen waffles, milk, & bread at the store. We had a coffee maker & toaster in our room so we were all set for breakfast.

I actually had packed an extra suitcase full of waterbottles, snacks, peanutbutter, cereal & more..It also held a couple of other bulky things like my sons life jacket. It was really easy since we used ME and checked our luggage all the way to the hotel...the same on the way back. (Actually on the way home it was filled with dirty laundry)

traces7
07-11-2006, 06:01 AM
We're staying at ASMO. Do you know what they have in their store and how expensive it is? I was thinking it probably would be easiest just to put some snacks and juice boxes and maybe a couple waters in our suitcases. And then just buy the rest of our water and anything else we want there. (I'm a little nervous about drinking the water there).

LegoMom3
07-11-2006, 06:11 AM
I am going to ship one box down about a week before we leave. We also want some small breakfast and snack items, but I don't want to pack it in a suitcase With the size box I'm planning to use, I don't expect to pay more than around $10 to ship it.

As for the water, the biggest problem is pure and simply taste, since it's all municipal supply and quite treated.... :crazy2: Some folks bring the Brita sport bottle with a built-in filter. Apparently they are getting hard to find in stores but they're on eBay. Then you can fill up anywhere in the parks and it should taste pretty decent!

karliebug
07-11-2006, 06:57 AM
In the past we have taken a large cooler and packed it with snacks,water,etc. and checked it through with our luggage. The past 2 trips I have used garden grocer, who charges a flat $10 fee. I bring a collapsible cooler in my luggage and use the hotel ice to keep milk,juice,yogurt cool. It works great and the cooler takes up very little space in my luggage. garden grocer charges what most of the groceries in the area do and it is worth the ten bucks for the convienece. you don't even have to be there when it is delivered. they will leave it with luggage service and you can get it later.

DisFan331
07-11-2006, 07:07 AM
On our last trip I shipped down a box of anything disposable that we would need. It was for a family of 5, so the box was heavy. I think it was about $18 to ship UPS. When we arrived the box was waiting for us. I shipped water, juice boxes, snack foods, and diapers and formula.

Ariel8676
07-11-2006, 08:25 AM
As far as shipping water down, i have read many times on here to go to Staples.com and register for the Staples rewards program(free) then you can order cases of water through them and delivery is free. I am going to try this when we go down in August..just a thought for you.

3PRINCESSMOM
07-11-2006, 09:52 AM
and then look into getting a case of water sent from Staples, as the previous poster mentioned.

You won't snack in your room as much as you may think; I would guess, not enough to justify the approx. $10 expense of either delivery charge or shipping fee.

I have read quite a few posts regarding the water delivery from Staples. With only a few exceptions, people seem to have had good experience with the resort accepting the delivery prior to check-in and having the water brought to the room upon check-in. Here is a thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1145385&highlight=Staples

UnderTheMistletoe
07-11-2006, 11:03 AM
I know you said you didn't want to put it in your luggage, but how much of an inconvenience would it be to put it in your luggage?

Last trip, we did MME for the first time. We usually only travel with duffel bags. But, this time becuase of our plans the night we got there, it was important to me that we have our luggage and not have to wait for the MME delivery. We were also taking a day trip to my Mom's to get a lot of my stuff out of her house and back up to Maryland. Well, we figured it's a heck of a lot cheaper to load up a suitcase and potentially pay the fee through SWA than pay to have everything shipped. We packed all our snacks and whatnot into the case we were packing up at my Mom's and checked it through. It was am empty bag except for the food. But, becuase of the MME, we never had to handle it after check-in. Even if it's a small, light-weight bag that you fold up and put in your regular luggage on the way home, why not check it through? I wouldn't do anything with liquids as that gets heavy and could be a mess.

The Hess stations on property have regular non-Disney prices. We usually stock up there for drinks and whatnot.

traces7
07-12-2006, 06:07 AM
Thanks for all the good info! I think we'll just try putting some snacks in our suitcases, maybe even a separate suitcase that we can put souveniers in on the way back. I may put a couple water bottles and juiceboxes in too and just put them in ziplock bags. Thanks again everyone! :)

mommiepoppins
07-12-2006, 07:05 AM
we put in our suit case and had no problem

DizGeek
07-12-2006, 07:17 AM
AS Movies has a store but remember, its Disney...you'll be paying top dollar. I assume you wont have a car. I'd probably pack an extra suitcase. This works well because with all the Mickey items we buy, its helpful for the way home.

Have fun.

AMaloy314
07-12-2006, 07:44 AM
Being just two of you, it will probably be easiest to pack a bag with your luggage. If you pack a small suitcase with the food, at the end of your trip you will be sure to have enough space to carry back all your souvenirs!

You didn't mention how you were getting to the resort from the airport. If you rent a car or hire a limo/cab, you can always fax an order to Albertson's grocery store on Orange Blossom. Their prices were much better than Goodings or the Disney groceries (obviously).They will have your order ready to go, so all you have to do is go inside the store and pay for it. It took my husband less than 5 minutes from the time he walked inside until he was back in the car. I believe that almost all the limo companies will make a courtesy stop here, but if you decide to do this, make sure with the company. Their fax number is 407-857-0132. The store phone number is 407-857-5666 if you need to call for details. We couldn't have been more pleased with them and will be using them again in Feb.

Zoemakes5
07-12-2006, 08:26 AM
Little different situation, but we went to DL and a week in CA in November. One entire full size suitcase was devoted to nothing but groceries. We were staying in a hotel near DL and then a condo. I just knew sometimes it's hard to get what you want and it's usually a lot more expensive.
I brought full size cereal, pop tarts, bagels, snacks, fruit/apple sauce cups (that's one of my pet peeves, how hard it is to get fruit at Disney 5-10 days without fruit or veggies in most cases is just not okay!), and even meal stuff (because of our condo trip) like spaghetti oh's w/meatballs, soup, taco seasoning and soft shells (got the hard ones there), cans of chicken for chicken salad, condiments....well you get the idea. We ate most of the stuff we brought with us and the extra space was useful at the end of the trip for souvies and dirty clothes and stuff.
What I was cautioned against (and have had trouble with this in the past) is not to pack anything pressurized that's being checked in, nor any glass. So that would cover pop, spray cheese, glass containers of salsa or condiments. Water, particularly the bottles, should be just fine. Juice boxes the same (though I'd go ahead and put them in plastic bags, just in case.
Another thing that I've found very useful, is I bring a soft-sided small cooler with us on the plane as a carry on. Partly because I don't want to deal with two hours of being dependent upon the airport food as the only source of drinks and snacks (nothing more fun for me than getting the kids all hyped up on soda pop before a 2-3 hour plane trip!) and because my kids rarely like the airline food. I typically put in two or three go-milks (perfect size for a small cooler--if you don't have it in your area, basically pint sized or a bit larger), string cheese, gogurts, sandwich meat, and whatever else sounds good at the time. It's amazing what those little coolers will hold when you don't have a bunch of larger drinks in them. We have a wheeled luggage carrier, but have seen some great soft-sided coolers with wheels now all over the place.
Also, each of my kids has their own backpack they take on the plane with them. They all have wheels on them. In addition to what they want to take, I have them put one water bottle in one side pouch, one other beverage in the other side pouch (time of day will determine what they have in the side) and then a few snacks and gum in the front pouches. There have been trips where I've put more snacks in the backpacks and others where I've put soda bottles in their bags. Since every paid seat you can carry on two bags, we often max out on that number. With our $14 luggage carrier, the only hassle is really putting it through the scanners at the security check. We live accross the country from most of my family, and I have three kids and am pretty anal about stuff, so I have plane trips down to a science! :rolleyes1
Good luck and have fun.

Oh, edited to add, as if I didn't put enough here, I'd recommend not using duffle bags for your food, it gets all smushed. Use something with a bit more structure.

Wigit12
07-12-2006, 08:33 AM
We used WeGo shop last September. It worked perfectly for us and saved us a ton of money.

Placed our order online through their website. www.wegoshop.com
She even used coupons and split the savings with us. She was extremely nice and came right on time so we didn't have to waste anytime.

Getting ready to order again for this year!!

briarberry
07-12-2006, 08:45 AM
You are in the exact same position I was on our first trip to Disney. It was just me and my DD7. I was worried about snacks and water too because we didn't have a rental car either. We stayed at Pop and got the refillable mugs. My daughter hates carbonated drinks but she drank lemonade and some kind of fruity drink they had (she was on vacation so I didn't worry about the sugar content). We also had a Brita Sports bottle because I was worried about the drinking water. We filled it from our room each morning with some ice and then at water fountains or taps in the parks. I think I bought a couple bottles of water at the parks at night when we were there for fireworks. I was on a budget but I didn't spend nearly as much on food as I thought I would. The portions are huge so my DD and I ended up sharing half the time. I threw a box of granola bars and some other prepackage snacks in our suitcases and that was all we needed. The food court at Pop had lots of other snack items which were not overpriced. I am sure your resort will have the same.
Don't worry about it! I found I stressed over the little things too much. Go and have fun, you will be surprised how little time you spend in your room! :)

traces7
07-12-2006, 09:17 PM
So you can get other drinks besides soda in the refillable mugs? My DD doesn't really drink soda, but she does drink lemondade and fruit drinks. Would ASMO have them you think?
I wish that I could find some of those Britta bottles. I might try the Culligan brand.
I am deinitely stressing too much over the little things already and our trip is still over 3 months away!

SLDL
07-12-2006, 09:50 PM
briarberry & others, do you remember if the small gift shop at the Pop sells milk by the gallon?? I know there are convenient store-type coolers in some of the resorts, but I can't remember if they have them at Pop? That is really the only thing we need to keep cold & can't transport via airplane. Thanks!