PDA

View Full Version : Have I Vented About This Before??? Re: Customer Service and "Authorized Contacts"

BethR
07-10-2006, 05:18 PM
:mad: Twice today I have been told that I cannot be spoken to about an account since it was not in my name. Grrrrrr.

DD Ann asked me if I could help her out by setting up phone service for her apartment in Durham. So I called Verizon, waited on hold for 20 minutes, only to be told that unless *I* want the account in my name, that she had to call herself. :sad2: So frustrating. She works for the next 3 days and then goes on vacation with her BF's family. She asked me to do this to save her some time.

Then just a few minutes ago, I went to see our electric bill at MyCheckFree. For the second month in a row I had problems signing on, they froze the sign on, said that there was a problem with our e-mail address, so I called them. "I'm sorry, Mrs. R, Mr. R's name is on the account. Is he there?" Well NO! He just went swimming. "I'm sorry, I cannot talk to you since your name is on the account." Grrrrr.

We have had this account for over 25 years. I have always been the contact person. Now they have to talk to HIM! Guess who is getting her name on the account???

And don't even get me started on VerizonWireless!!! They will NOT add a second name to the account and they will NOT talk to me about activating new phones, starting new service, anything. But guess what! I can do everything on line!!! They think they're so smart! But *I'm* smarter!!! :teeth:

disneynutt1225
07-10-2006, 05:38 PM
See, usually when I run into that problem I "pose" as DFi. I have all his information, DOB, SS#, everything. In fact, I think I know his info better than he knows it. What are they going to say? I'm sorry ma'am, but you're not Mr. X? He's aware that I do it, and since I'm the one that takes care of the bills and everything, he's completely fine with me doing it. Ethical? Probably not, but it gets the job done.

Flame suit on.... :firefight

KelNottAt
07-10-2006, 06:05 PM
See, usually when I run into that problem I "pose" as DFi. I have all his information, DOB, SS#, everything. In fact, I think I know his info better than he knows it. What are they going to say? I'm sorry ma'am, but you're not Mr. X? He's aware that I do it, and since I'm the one that takes care of the bills and everything, he's completely fine with me doing it. Ethical? Probably not, but it gets the job done.

Flame suit on.... :firefight

Same here. Except DH and I have each other's power of attorney. So, I don't feel totally dishonest. Just a little.

buzzlady
07-10-2006, 06:05 PM
I would just call back and say that you are your DD. What do they know. :teeth:

clh2
07-10-2006, 06:13 PM
My DSIL had this happen to her when her phone call was directed to a off-shore customer care center when she was trying to cancel AOL. Jane couldn't close the account, because it was in Jim's name. She just called back in 2 minutes, and said she was Jim. I guess this is ONE advantage to the non-US based call centers.

BethR
07-10-2006, 06:32 PM
I would just call back and say that you are your DD. What do they know. :teeth:

I did. But I was afraid to admit it to you all. 'Cause I DON'T have my flame suit on. :blush:

And actually, I do do everything myself. Doing things on-line makes life SOOOOO much easier! It is when you have to talk to a real person that problems enter in.
:rolleyes:

staceyfe
07-10-2006, 06:37 PM
I totally understand your dilemma. I probably would be upset too. However, in this day and age of identity theft I'm more on the side of the company. Just Friday I went to my bank to close a CD. It's a bank where I don't frequent (I have a separate bank for the checking account) so the people don't really know me well. I didn't have the original CD with me. They had me sign a lost CD statement, a notary came over to notorize the form, and then handed me a four-figure check, all without even asking for my driver's license! I'm about to send the bank an email about that. Any schmo could walk in and close out an account. No, they never asked me to verify any other info either, such as SSN or address. Can you believe that?

I also have a pet peeve with cashiers who never ask to see a driver's license when I purchase with a credit card. Why? Are they just lazy, or don't care?

BethR
07-10-2006, 06:47 PM
That IS scary, Stacey!!! :scared1:

And using the Credit Card thing? I would be happy if they ever asked to see my Credit Card, let alone a Driver's License!

quietgirll
07-10-2006, 06:55 PM
Well, as someone who has been a cashier I can tell you why it isn't ALWAYS done. There have been numerous times when I have been yelled at because I asked for ID, or caused additional work on their part. Explaining to them that is more for their protection than anything else usually doesn't work either- if they want to grumble, they're gonna grumble. Also, in today's world of "convenience" most times there are machines that they are running the credit card through themselves...so the cashier may not even handle the card itself at all. I'm not saying it is right, but just offering an explanantion as to why it isn't always done. I recently had someone yell at me for 10 minuted because of a FEDERAL LAW that required me to ask for their ID. Mind you, I'll keep doing it, but it does make me dread it all the more when I'm worried someone is going to complain/yell about it!! :confused3

disneynutt1225
07-10-2006, 07:05 PM
I also have a pet peeve with cashiers who never ask to see a driver's license when I purchase with a credit card. Why? Are they just lazy, or don't care?

If your card is signed and it wasn't declined by the system, there's no need for them to check your driver's license. They SHOULD be verifying that the signature on your card matches the signature on your slip, but that's it.

va32h
07-10-2006, 09:27 PM

I can't tell you how many credit cards I see without a signature on the back. And when I ask for ID, the customer rolls their eyes and huffs and puffs, or complains "well it's in the car".

I don't understand why anyone would deliberately not sign the back of their card. If you want the sales person to ask for id, write ASK FOR ID in the signature blank, but leaving it unsigned makes it easy for someone to steal it, and sign your name in their handwriting.

donnajon
07-10-2006, 09:37 PM
I write Ask for ID and am surprised at how few do. I always thank them for checking. Our post office wont accept ask for id!!!! Your card has to be signed!
I called a CC in my DH's name one and had all of the password info. The guy said, "You're Dale?" I said "Yes!" He said, "Jr?" and I said "Yes!" and then proceeded to talk about my problem. And got an answer. There would be no way anyone would know the weird password to the account unless they were supposed to.

mking624
07-10-2006, 09:42 PM
I can't tell you how many credit cards I see without a signature on the back. And when I ask for ID, the customer rolls their eyes and huffs and puffs, or complains "well it's in the car".

I don't understand why anyone would deliberately not sign the back of their card. If you want the sales person to ask for id, write ASK FOR ID in the signature blank, but leaving it unsigned makes it easy for someone to steal it, and sign your name in their handwriting.
I come across this same problem. Where I work, it's actually VERY rare to see a signed credit card...and not very common to see people write "see ID" or the like when they don't have their signature on it. Then I get the dumb reasonings..."I leave it blank because I had one stolen from me before and they used it." HUH?! What kind of logic is that?? It is MUCH harder to forge someone's signature than it is to find a blank area and sign that person's name with your own handwriting. Anytime someone tries to use their reasonings with me about why they leave it completely blank, I tell them that. More often than not, they actually wind up either signing it or writing "See ID" right then and there. I remember going into a grocery store one time and seeing a credit card on the floor...completely blank. No signature, no "ask for ID" or anything. Had I not been honest, I could have signed myself and went to town. This is why it bugs the heck out of me when people don't put anything in the signature area and then they think it's somehow protecting them. Little do they know they're actually putting themselves at an even higher risk.

But I agree...I get customers who complain about having to show ID when I ask for it. I can't help but be amazed at people who get angry about it when they themselves wrote "See ID" on the card. I had that happen with a customer one time and she was like "it's back at work! I don't want to drive all the way back!" (Which made me wonder why she drove without her license...) But I'm personally pretty strict about it. If your card doesn't have a signature that I can compare it to and you don't have a license, you need to have another form of payment or you're not purchasing the items.

Anyway, sorry to go off topic.

Becky2005
07-10-2006, 10:03 PM
I do all the financial stuff and have pretended to be DH on occassion.

As for the credit cards (actually I believe if I read the VISA information correctly, the SEE ID doesn't make the card legal, it has to be signed. You can refuse to accept it unless it has a signature -- technically I think you are supposed to. I have an at-home business and accept credit cards, I read through ALL the VISA rules and a lot of common practices people do aren't even supposed to be done, but I can't remember them all now, I just know it specifically addresses the "See ID" & signatures.)

ANYWAY -- My local corner store doesn't even ask for signatures anymore for a charge. I pop in the card in the machine and the transaction finishes with no signature at all. If it's under a certain amount apparently they don't require it....bugs me to death since no matter how much you charged in the past, you always had to sign. So, basically the cashier never sees my card at all, I don't sign for anything and for all they know I'm using John Doe's card.

jenr812
07-10-2006, 10:50 PM
We have this problem too and it ticks me off. I am not on our mortgage but I am on the deed (SAHM til next year so no need to be on the loan). I pay the bills, sign the dang checks (well til we started paying online), and he has told them NUMEROUS times even in WRITING that they are to deal with me, and they still won't!!! :sad2:

With my car note, it is MY car, I pay the bill, same as above with him telling them to deal with me, but nope! It is so frustrating. I can't wait til we pay it off in December (or sooner!). :woohoo:

Same thing with our CCs. I am authorized user on any cards in his name and vice versa but since I am not the main account holder, they can't talk to me.

Now I fully understand about ID theft - DH has been a victim and it has just now fallen off his credit report (it happened in 1997 and it was damn near impossible to get it fixed properly - wanted us to jump through hoops, etc - so we just waited for it to drop off. :furious: Cost us thousands in higher interest, lost opportunities, higher insurance premiums, but we are just glad it is off (for now - til one of those stupid places tries to re-age the account!!)

Anyway, it is definitely frustrating, esp since DH works crazy hours and it's impossible for him to contact these places if we needed to and when he does contact them, he simply verifies he is who he is and hands the phone to me :rolleyes:

Sorry for venting!! :blush: I guess you hit a nerve tonight LOL

mking624
07-10-2006, 10:55 PM
As for the credit cards (actually I believe if I read the VISA information correctly, the SEE ID doesn't make the card legal, it has to be signed. You can refuse to accept it unless it has a signature -- technically I think you are supposed to. I have an at-home business and accept credit cards, I read through ALL the VISA rules and a lot of common practices people do aren't even supposed to be done, but I can't remember them all now, I just know it specifically addresses the "See ID" & signatures.)
I have turned down people who have it don't have a signature when the card actually says "not authorized unless signed." But I think more and more credit card companies are becoming wiser and have dropped that little phrase from the card. I have a credit card (Visa) that used to say that...and it no longer does. In fact none of the information (which is sent to me every year) says anything about it anymore, though it used to in the past. So I think it lately depends on the company.

graygables
07-10-2006, 11:49 PM
Even *WITH* a POA it's a PITBeeehind. My DH has anxiety issues and cannot talk on the phone to strangers. It's not fun for either of us. I have faxed, mailed, and hand-carried copies of my POA to our mortgage bank and others and *still* they won't talk to me. I finally just tell them, hey, I'm the one who handles it, you aren't going to talk to him, so get over it. Sometimes that works, sometimes not. I really thought the POA would help, but it's basically junk.

lovesmurfs
07-11-2006, 07:25 AM
I totally understand your dilemma. I probably would be upset too. However, in this day and age of identity theft I'm more on the side of the company. Just Friday I went to my bank to close a CD. It's a bank where I don't frequent (I have a separate bank for the checking account) so the people don't really know me well. I didn't have the original CD with me. They had me sign a lost CD statement, a notary came over to notorize the form, and then handed me a four-figure check, all without even asking for my driver's license! I'm about to send the bank an email about that. Any schmo could walk in and close out an account. No, they never asked me to verify any other info either, such as SSN or address. Can you believe that?

The same thing just happened to me last week. I walked into my bank, which I never do because I use the ATM. I handed my ATM card (no signature on the back) and told them I wanted a money order for $730. The teller looked up my account number, gave the number to me, had me fill out a withdrawal slip. I never even had to put in my PIN to get the money, or show ID. I was flabbergasted as I left -- I'm legit, but what if someone had stolen my ATM card (it's my "fun" savings account for vacation).

sankra
07-11-2006, 08:41 AM
Everytime I go to my branch of the bank which is in the building I work, I get asked for my card and to put in the pin for every check I want to cash, even $1 rebate checks. I guess it's just their policy. Sometimes it's irritating when I'm on a break from work and in a hurry and want to cash a little check, but I guess it's for my protection. Back to the beginning of this thread, I had to call my insurance company because my husband and I had not received a copy of our life insurance policies that we signed up for. I requested that they send out a certificate outlining the insurance terms for me and my husband and was told HE had to call. I told them I am his wife, I have all his personal information and she basically told me TOO BAD. If he wants it, he has to call. Now, I think that's ridiculous. We signed up for the insurance together. Think about it now with HIPAA too. Unless you specifically sign that it's okay for your spouse to receive medical information about you, it won't happen. Sometimes I think we're taking two steps back instead of forward. :upsidedow

yearbook50
07-11-2006, 08:50 AM
I understand this greatly. My Fiance hates calling about his accounts. I know all his personal information, better than he does for the most part. We aren't Power of Attorneys yet, we will go through that process after we are actually married. Its weird how some will allow me to check on his accounts and some won't. Then again, I usually dont have to call that often unless something went wrong with the online stuff.

Lisa_Belle
07-11-2006, 08:53 AM
:mad: Twice today I have been told that I cannot be spoken to about an account since it was not in my name. Grrrrrr.

DD Ann asked me if I could help her out by setting up phone service for her apartment in Durham. So I called Verizon, waited on hold for 20 minutes, only to be told that unless *I* want the account in my name, that she had to call herself. :sad2: So frustrating. She works for the next 3 days and then goes on vacation with her BF's family. She asked me to do this to save her some time.

Then just a few minutes ago, I went to see our electric bill at MyCheckFree. For the second month in a row I had problems signing on, they froze the sign on, said that there was a problem with our e-mail address, so I called them. "I'm sorry, Mrs. R, Mr. R's name is on the account. Is he there?" Well NO! He just went swimming. "I'm sorry, I cannot talk to you since your name is on the account." Grrrrr.

We have had this account for over 25 years. I have always been the contact person. Now they have to talk to HIM! Guess who is getting her name on the account???

And don't even get me started on VerizonWireless!!! They will NOT add a second name to the account and they will NOT talk to me about activating new phones, starting new service, anything. But guess what! I can do everything on line!!! They think they're so smart! But *I'm* smarter!!! :teeth:

Hmmm - my phone service is in my deceased father's name (cuts down on prank calls). I'd like to see them try to get any information out of him! :rotfl2:

Alicnwondrln
07-11-2006, 09:14 AM
i had the same thing happen the other day i called someone about fixing it and called back posing as dh they were like please have mr russo call later and wouldnt help me
i wasnt happy
dh is never home and works crazy hours, he wasnt happy when i called him at work and told him to call them

staceyfe
07-11-2006, 09:53 AM
If your card is signed and it wasn't declined by the system, there's no need for them to check your driver's license. They SHOULD be verifying that the signature on your card matches the signature on your slip, but that's it.

Checking the sig on the card is what I really meant...I just had the Driver's License on the brain.

I feel bad for all the cashiers out there who are bawled out by customers because they are asked to see their card or show ID. But every once in a while, when I'm feeling brave, I will ask the cashier if they want to see my card. Nine times out of ten it's a "no, that's fine". I'm about to the point where I'm going to start ranting for not asking for proof of sig. Maybe identity theft would be a little reduced if this were put into common practice. Usually, I only see it commonly done at tourist locations (outlet malls, etc).

Disneydreaming6
07-11-2006, 10:10 AM
I deal with this daily,I am the person that has to tell the wife I cannot release the info with out talking to the husband first. Can I understand the wifes frustartion.....Yes, since I too am the one that handles all bills etc. But, I will never understand how when told I cannot release the info it gives the person the right to swear, yell calling me all kinds of colorful names. It is for the security of the account. How do I know your not an ex wife, or ex gf who still has his info. (I still know my exh ss# etc) . So when that ex gains access to the account, transferrs funds, closes the acct, changes address's, are you going to be to blame? Are you going to be understanding? I don't think so. I will be blamed and loose my job. Same thing goes with electric, phones, bills etc. That ex can order or shut off service, run up hugh bills and leave them for you to have to pay. All because someone gave out info without verifing the account with the acct holder. I understand this might be an extreme case, but it does happen. All the time. Or even if the info was stolen, they gain access to the accts. change the info but by the time you realize it when you don't recieve your statement, it's too late, they have already opened accts at other banks. got new cc's. etc. And this all happened because someone gave out info to someone other then the acct holder. So next time you call the bank and I won't give you your husbands info, Please don't scream at me, I'm just saving your money.....lol

Now about my cc, my signature keeps wearing off. I am glad the cashier always asks for my id with it. I at least know my acct is safe another day..lol. I also hate when I don't have to sign for my purchase, doesn't matter how much it is for. That in mho is just not right.

mking624
07-11-2006, 10:27 AM
Now about my cc, my signature keeps wearing off. I am glad the cashier always asks for my id with it. I at least know my acct is safe another day..lol. I also hate when I don't have to sign for my purchase, doesn't matter how much it is for. That in mho is just not right.
I agree, I hate it when I don't have to sign or it's one of those things where you swipe the card yourself...they never check the card. Everywhere you turn, there's info on identity theft and yet more and more places are becoming easy targets to use a stolen credit card. Boggles my mind.

As far as the signature wearing off, trying using a permanent marker. Sharpie makes an extra fine point so it won't be big and thick. It won't wear off like pen ink will.

vanyel
07-11-2006, 10:36 AM
Another problem: during my first marriage, all the utilities were in my exdh's name, even though I had set them up and thought my name was on them. When I took over the house, I couldn't get the utilities changed to my name because he was on them and because I hadn't established a relationship to the utility company. They told me it was policy 20 yrs ago to have only the husband's name on the account. What a crock!

Good thing dh & I got along as he was willing to help get them straightened out. The other negative part of this was I had to pay a large deposit when I moved, as I never had electricity or gas in my name.

Since then, I've learned to check out everything so I never get stuck again.

corie161
07-11-2006, 10:47 AM
I deal with this daily,I am the person that has to tell the wife I cannot release the info with out talking to the husband first. Can I understand the wifes frustartion.....Yes, since I too am the one that handles all bills etc. But, I will never understand how when told I cannot release the info it gives the person the right to swear, yell calling me all kinds of colorful names. It is for the security of the account. How do I know your not an ex wife, or ex gf who still has his info. (I still know my exh ss# etc) . So when that ex gains access to the account, transferrs funds, closes the acct, changes address's, are you going to be to blame? Are you going to be understanding? I don't think so. I will be blamed and loose my job. Same thing goes with electric, phones, bills etc. That ex can order or shut off service, run up hugh bills and leave them for you to have to pay. All because someone gave out info without verifing the account with the acct holder. I understand this might be an extreme case, but it does happen. All the time. Or even if the info was stolen, they gain access to the accts. change the info but by the time you realize it when you don't recieve your statement, it's too late, they have already opened accts at other banks. got new cc's. etc. And this all happened because someone gave out info to someone other then the acct holder. So next time you call the bank and I won't give you your husbands info, Please don't scream at me, I'm just saving your money.....lol

While I can understand the reasoning behind wanting to speak with the person on the account, to me it would make more sense to not allow them to make changes, etc on the account.

If I'm calling just to inquire whether or not a payment was recieved, or do change a due date on the billing or something minor it shouldn't be a problem, even asking what a balance is, or payment amount due, after all, what's saying "no maam, the payment hasn't been recieved" going to do to protect his identity. I'm the one who signs the darn checks and they have no problem cashing them.

If on the other hand I'm calling to cancel an account, change address, or something that could have a bad end result, then they should speak with the person on the line.

Jen_in_NH
07-11-2006, 10:58 AM
I'm going through this with Sears Credit Card people right now. DH has his own card from years ago, and then we have a joint account. He has never called to close his first (I wish I knew why...) I accidentally paid on his account, which has no balance, instead of our account. The person in customer service will not let me change how the payment was done without him there. I have all the information, even the card number, but not god enough. I'm going to have my dad call when he stops by today and say he's DH.

I used to do it with my grandmother all the time - I would just say I was her and had all the info they wanted. She gets a bit confused trying to do all this stuff, so it's just easier for everyone if I do it for her.

Jen

bevtoy
07-11-2006, 11:00 AM
Same here. Except DH and I have each other's power of attorney. So, I don't feel totally dishonest. Just a little.
I have POA also, and I sign his name to checks etc......... he travels and can't do it himself.

welovedisneyx4
07-11-2006, 11:21 AM
I had forgoten to stop and pay DH's car payment at the bank the other month, so I called to do it over the phone so it wouldn't be late. I knew the $ amount, but couldn't remember the exact cents. Do you know they wouldn't even tell me the cents b/c my name isn't on the loan??!! It is on the checking account I was taking the $ out of. I was so mad about that. :furious: I finally told them fine, hung up and went and looked at the previous months statement and then called back and asked for the supervisor I had spoken to and gave her the info she was so dead sent against giving me and reminded her that I could go on line and getting any info about this account that I wanted!!!!

For those of you that call pretending to be your spouse, do you change your voice to sound more like a man or woman?

Chicago526
07-11-2006, 12:17 PM
While I can understand the reasoning behind wanting to speak with the person on the account, to me it would make more sense to not allow them to make changes, etc on the account.

If I'm calling just to inquire whether or not a payment was recieved, or do change a due date on the billing or something minor it shouldn't be a problem, even asking what a balance is, or payment amount due, after all, what's saying "no maam, the payment hasn't been recieved" going to do to protect his identity. I'm the one who signs the darn checks and they have no problem cashing them.

If on the other hand I'm calling to cancel an account, change address, or something that could have a bad end result, then they should speak with the person on the line.

I think this is an excellant idea! :thumbsup2

sankra
07-11-2006, 12:27 PM

I agree with you to a point. But when I'm calling to request something TO BE MAILED TO OUR HOME ADDRESS and not asking over the phone any other information about it, that both of us signed up for on the same day (in this case a certificate outlining the terms of our life insurance), at the same place, we have the same address, phone number, etc. that shouldn't be an issue. The company doesn't hesitate to take the money out of our checking every month. The papers in question do not have SSN information on them. I could see the extra security with bank accounts, credit cards and the like but requesting a piece of paper saying when the insurance is paid up and the amount is a little irritating. We both finally had to call to get our little letters and one piece of paper. Also, when I had some tests done at my doctor's office last year and they called my house and my husband happened to be home, they wouldn't tell him anything about my test results (even though I believe I signed off on it). He had to call me and I had to call them. I think sometimes it just gets frustrating. I give you credit for doing that type of work. Good luck! :3dglasses

TONNIE
07-11-2006, 09:57 PM
I just wanted to say I work as an employee at Verizon and the reason that accounts are verified are not just because of the id theft but it is now company policy and required on every contact. We dont like doing it either but people will call and inquire on accounts that dont belong to them. They cancel accounts, add features ect. Verizon wireless is more strict for their own reasons. Customers who have had their ids stolen and fraudulent accounts in their names have no problem giving the info.If anything csts are more upset at having to go through the voice menus then having to give account information.

We can still discuss accounts that are not in the billing name but the caller must have a copy of the most recent bill and be willing to give the information off of it. Verizon wireless will only talk to the subscriber.

robinb
07-11-2006, 10:07 PM

I actually have a pet peeve about cashiers who ask for my drivers licence when I use a credit card! Look at my darn signature first and then ask if it doesn't match! It just goes to show you that you can't please everyone all the time :).

Checking the sig on the card is what I really meant...I just had the Driver's License on the brain.

Opps! Never mind, LOL!

Actually ... my local grocery store has me PO'd. They put in 4 "self service" lanes where you swipe your own groceries and weigh your own veggies. They have a rule that your purchase is locked and you must wait for an employee to come over and check your credit card and ID if your bill is over $25. When was the last time you spent only $25 at a grocery store? I told them that I would be taking up the time of their regular cashiers (who never check my ID) next time instead of saving them money by using the self service system.

mking624
07-11-2006, 10:37 PM
I actually have a pet peeve about cashiers who ask for my drivers licence when I use a credit card! Look at my darn signature first and then ask if it doesn't match! It just goes to show you that you can't please everyone all the time :).
Speaking as someone who works in retail, it boggles my mind on why people get upset when we ask for ID...signature or not. We do it for YOUR protection. I bet if someone stole your credit card and started running charges you'd be a little more appreciative of people checking IDs regardless if you've signed your card. ;) It doesn't take any longer to pull out your ID than it did your credit card...and it keeps you better protected. I think two seconds out of my life to pull out an ID is worth it. :goodvibes

People wanted identity protection but then aren't happy with the things that keep them protected...I don't get it. :confused3

disneynutt1225
07-12-2006, 06:27 AM
For those of you that call pretending to be your spouse, do you change your voice to sound more like a man or woman?

I'm a woman and I never change my voice to sound like a man when discussing my DFi's accounts. I don't see the need to. If I have all the information, down to the letter, they can't very well tell me that I'm not Mr. X. Some of them seem a little apprehensive about giving me information, but the fact of the matter is I answered the security question, knew all the pertinent info, and they can't do anything about it.

robinb
07-12-2006, 07:43 AM
Speaking as someone who works in retail, it boggles my mind on why people get upset when we ask for ID...signature or not. We do it for YOUR protection.

It boggles my mind that you think that checking an ID is for the protection of the customer. It is for the protection of the store so they don't have charge backs due to an invalid credit card. It is for the protection of the credit card companies so they don't need to refund the customer for the illegal charges. IMO the vast majority of face-to-face credit card fraud could be stopped by checking signatures on the back of the card. If that doesn't match then ask for an ID.

Ragnrok23
07-12-2006, 08:54 AM
It boggles my mind that you think that checking an ID is for the protection of the customer. It is for the protection of the store so they don't have charge backs due to an invalid credit card. It is for the protection of the credit card companies so they don't need to refund the customer for the illegal charges. IMO the vast majority of face-to-face credit card fraud could be stopped by checking signatures on the back of the card. If that doesn't match then ask for an ID.

I work part time in retail and always ask for ID whenever I see them taking out a CC. It's not that difficult to erase the old signature and replace it with your own if you steal a CC. Also the Debit cards with CC features do not have the same protecting as a normal CC, also since it is tied directly to your checking account, think about all the checks and payments that you could have insufficiant funds for if someone was to go on a spending spree

graygables
07-12-2006, 09:07 AM
I'm a woman and I never change my voice to sound like a man when discussing my DFi's accounts. I don't see the need to. If I have all the information, down to the letter, they can't very well tell me that I'm not Mr. X. Some of them seem a little apprehensive about giving me information, but the fact of the matter is I answered the security question, knew all the pertinent info, and they can't do anything about it.

A few years ago, I called a CC company claiming to be my DH (and I have a deep voice anyway) and they didn't believe me and refused to answer my questions. Funny thing is, when I forced DH to all to add me as an "authorized contact", they didn't believe him, either. It wound up involving letter writing and wasn't pretty.

As far as CCs go, I just hand my license with the card. I'd much rather be overly cautious about my card security, speaking as someone who has had their debit card used and suffered the consequences of a gazillion $33 insufficient funds charges. BTW, I recently read somewhere that you should NOT sign your card, but write "verify photo ID" or something on the back and hand the license with the card.

robinb
07-12-2006, 09:12 AM
I work part time in retail and always ask for ID whenever I see them taking out a CC. It's not that difficult to erase the old signature and replace it with your own if you steal a CC.
I think it's more difficult than you think. The signature strip makes it hard to erase by solvents, etc. On many cards the word "VOID" appears with an erasure attempt. In addition, the panels have a design on them so you just can't use white-out over them.
Also the Debit cards with CC features do not have the same protecting as a normal CC, also since it is tied directly to your checking account, think about all the checks and payments that you could have insufficiant funds for if someone was to go on a spending spree
Yes they do. My mother had her debit card taken and used. They drained $2000 out of her account in 3 hours. All of her money was replaced, she was not liable for any charges against her nor was she liable for the insufficiant funds fees since she informed the bank of the theft within the hour.

macfamily
07-12-2006, 09:43 AM
I have a debit card that has *most* of the signature strip completely gone from the back. It looks extremely suspicious, but I'm too cheap to pay for a new card before the expiration date. :) I am always thankful when a cashier asks me for photo ID, which happens VERY rarely, unfortunately. This tells me that at least the cashier has an interest in making sure the right person is using the card.

I would say it's a pretty good bet that when a cashier asks you for a second ID, she's not thinking of company profits and Credit card company fees and what not. I know that when I was a cashier for 15 years I would ask for an ID for an unsigned card because it was the right thing to do. Some people cranked about it, but I don't care, I required it anyway.

I'm not going to let someone buy a bunch of stuff and ASSUME that the money for it's coming out of their own pocket just because the card came out of their wallet/purse.

robinb
07-12-2006, 09:52 AM
I would say it's a pretty good bet that when a cashier asks you for a second ID, she's not thinking of company profits and Credit card company fees and what not. I know that when I was a cashier for 15 years I would ask for an ID for an unsigned card because it was the right thing to do. Some people cranked about it, but I don't care, I required it anyway.

I'm not talking about a card that is unsigned. Or one that has the signature part rubbed off. In those cases and the case where the signature does not match the back of the card I have no problem showing an ID. This actually happens a lot to me because I don't sign my real signature on those digital signature pads. I "sign" a line with a flourish which in no way looks like my signature. I know I can ask to sign on a piece of paper, but that's an even bigger PITA.

The places that I have a problem with are the businesses whose policy it is to check IDs for each and every credit card purchase. Those businesses are indeed looking out for themselves and not for the customer.

NeverlandClub23
07-12-2006, 09:59 AM
I do all the financial stuff and have pretended to be DH on occassion.

You're exactly right. A card MUST be signed for it to be legal but so many people think not signing it or writing "see ID" is legal. It's not.

Businesses and companies are not asking for the main account holder to make it inconvenient or make a problem for you, although it may seem that way. They are doing it to protect themselves and the main account holder. So many times I have seen where a husband/wife is the main account holder and the spouse is not authorized to sign or discuss anything with their account but everything is great in their marriage and the husband/wife lets their spouse do anything with their account. Then a few years go by and the marriage falls apart and sometimes the spouse tries to get everything they can out of the account while trying to make it look like they never had access. Or I've also witnessed cell phone accounts where the spouse wants to "play dirty" and orders $1,000 worth of phones and accessories that the husband/wife has to pay for (then the husband/wife tries to come after the company for ever letting their spouse access their information in the first place after giving their spouse-during the "good times"-all of their information). This is just one of the scenarios. I've seen this with husband/wife, parent/child, and even grandparent/child relationships that have gone bad. It is a hassle but there's a reason they don't let anyone but the main account holder discuss anything with the account regardless of what the account is for, even though everyone always thinks these situations will never happen to them. It happens enough to where the companies are trying to protect themselves and the main account holders.

mking624
07-12-2006, 10:21 AM
You're exactly right. A card MUST be signed for it to be legal but so many people think not signing it or writing "see ID" is legal. It's not.
This again depends on what company is in charge of that card. My card no longer requires a signature...they've dropped the "not authorized unless signed" from the back of the card and it's no longer in any of their terms & conditions (I actually called them yesterday also to confirmabout the signature and they said they HIGHLY advise to sign it, but it's no longer a requirement to use the card...a "See ID" is acceptable according to them). Not that I agree with companies that no longer requirement...I think it's absolutely stupid that they do that. But it just goes to show you that not every card requires it anymore.

The places that I have a problem with are the businesses whose policy it is to check IDs for each and every credit card purchase. Those businesses are indeed looking out for themselves and not for the customer.
Wouldn't you rather be asked for your card then for the one time they don't ask and it's someone other than you who is using it? How much longer would it really take out of your day to pull out your ID? How much stress is that really going to add to your life? It's probably more stressful to complain about it than it is to just pull it out and show it. Who CARES if the businesses are in it for themselves...yes they need to protect themselves too. But YOU are also benefitting by having your identity protected. Honestly the only people I see complaining about minimal things like this are those who've either never worked in retail (since they really don't know how easy it is to use someone's credit card...signe dor unsigned) or think that identity theft can never happen to them. I really hope it never happens to you...but at the same time, if it did, I guarantee you'd be a lot more appreciative of people asking for your identification...signature or not. Hmm, makes me want to check for ID all the time now just for fun. :rotfl: One simlpe solution...get a wallet where there's a window in it that fits your ID...keep your wallet out when you pull out your credit card that way if and when you're asked, everything is already out and ready without you having to do anything extra. None of the reasoning behind this will probably change your mind...but really, when you're benefitting from extra protection, it's just not worth getting upset over.

robinb
07-12-2006, 10:50 AM
I really hope it never happens to you...but at the same time, if it did, I guarantee you'd be a lot more appreciative of people asking for your identification...signature or not.

Thanks so much for your good thoughts. Not.

robsmom
07-12-2006, 11:19 AM
I did. But I was afraid to admit it to you all. 'Cause I DON'T have my flame suit on. :blush:

And actually, I do do everything myself. Doing things on-line makes life SOOOOO much easier! It is when you have to talk to a real person that problems enter in.
:rolleyes:

My father is an attorney. For years and years my mother has been signing his signature to things. I asked him if it would be illegal if she got caught and he said that it is not forgery if he approves and agrees with it. They usually joke that he can't sign certain things becuase if they check "his" signature it will not match! I don't think this is unethical. You are not attempting to do anything harmful. I do get, however, why the businesses have to protect themselves more now.

HM
07-12-2006, 12:43 PM
QUOTE: I also have a pet peeve with cashiers who never ask to see a driver's license when I purchase with a credit card. Why? Are they just lazy, or don't care?

I ALWAYS THANK the cashier that asks for my ID. I know it's for my own good, and I know they get people who are unkind about it....so I go out of my way to be thankful to them. It's right there by my CC anyway, so it's not a big deal in my opinion.

mickeyluv'r
07-12-2006, 01:07 PM
sorry.

mickeyluv'r
07-12-2006, 01:11 PM
OT - I'm reminded of a funny story...once on a long drive, I was quite close to empty when finally I stopped for gas. I discover that I don't have my wallet, any money or cc's. Ugh!

I asked the attendant if there's any way I could have DH give him a cc number over the phone. He says,"no." Luckily, I've a friend who lives an hour away. The exit where I got off was nondescript with just a number. I call my friend collect, and ask the attendant for directions. (pre-cell phones) The attendant tells me, I'm lost in Yonkers, NY!

I wait, and wait. The gas stations is closing. My friend comes, uses his cc for the gas, but has only $10 to give me. I appreciate the help, figure it will be enough to cover the tolls. (I deserved to go hungry for my stupidity.) After a very long day, I still have a very long drive ahead of me.

As he's leaving, the attendant says, "Hey, why didn't you just have your friend give me his credit card number over the phone?" I could have killed the man.

sandy6879
07-12-2006, 01:17 PM
Having worked in a bank for a LONG time, I know that the new laws are there to try to protect people's information. That being said, my DFi refuses to talk to anyone on the phone - whether it be to set up bills or his health insurance, no one. We have signed proxies for all of it and they do have it on file for me to be the authorized contact. I can completely understand not giving anyone someone else's financial information, as well as their personal information. However, when it is a question on a bill, why can't they just explain the thing? No changes being made, just questioning the situation and they still won't provide an answer because it is "privacy." Yeah right. Too many people don't understand the reasons this came into effect. I had a bank tell me that they couldn't provide me a mailing address due to privacy concerns..... :confused3

maxiesmom
07-12-2006, 02:01 PM
One of the reasons only the person on the account can make changes is so that someone does not close/change an account out of bad will. If a realtionship breaks up it is not unheard of for one person to close an account just to tick of the other person. Rules like this are meant to protect people. I'm sure that if someone closed an account in your name you would be yelling "Why did you allow Jim/Bob/Sally to close an account that is not in their name?

mamalle
07-12-2006, 02:16 PM
it is a big pet peeve of mine too. Im the one paying all the bills and have had issues in the past with dh's car accounts. He bought both of them in his name and when they have credited the wrong account with a payment- who has to handle it? me. :rolleyes: they give me so much grief. I always have to have him here by my side or else they wont help me at all. when his car was stolen a few weeks back- the same conversation was had again.. drives me crazy. as far as signing checks- I have signed many of his checks so I can deposit them or else they still would be sitting here on the kitchen counter! thank god for direct deposit.

graygables
07-12-2006, 03:11 PM
Thanks so much for your good thoughts. Not.

Well, *THAT* was snarky. As I said before, it takes an extra second to pull out my license with my card and hand it to the clerk. Pull it out when I write a check. NOT that big a deal and certainly not worth getting your panties in a twist about. :sad2: Having been a victim of a jerk of an ex with identity theft, and having had to deal with the MONTHS of getting things set to right w/ my debit card/checking account, I agree with mking624, I hope it doesn't happen to you and it WILL change how one feels about ID safety. Park the snark, for Pete's sake.

BethR
07-12-2006, 03:40 PM
Okay guys. Well, it never ceases to amaze me that even the most innocuous comment can lead to a debate on these boards.

"Boy! The sky is really gray today!"

"Gray? Kind of looks like an off white to me."

"Don't you know how to spell? It's spelled GREY!!!"

"Be glad that you have good eyes that you can SEE the sky!"

"Just like you! Never a good thing to say about anything!"

"Don't you realize that we really need rain around here? We've been PRAYING for gray skies!!! Be happy that you HAVE gray skies!"

Can't we all be nice to each other so that I don't have to close my own thread???

robinb
07-12-2006, 04:26 PM
I agree with mking624, I hope it doesn't happen to you and it WILL change how one feels about ID safety. Park the snark, for Pete's sake.

And I thought that mking624's "I hope it never happens to you (but I secretly do) and when it does boy will you be sorry!" post was pretty snarky too. I traded a snark for a snark. Now, in the spirt of the saying "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" and so Beth doesn't have to close her own thead I bid you adieu.

macfamily
07-12-2006, 04:26 PM
Boy! The sky is really gray today!"

"Gray? Kind of looks like an off white to me."

"Don't you know how to spell? It's spelled GREY!!!"

"Be glad that you have good eyes that you can SEE the sky!"

"Just like you! Never a good thing to say about anything!"

"Don't you realize that we really need rain around here? We've been PRAYING for gray skies!!! Be happy that you HAVE gray skies!"

:rotfl: :rotfl: :lmao: :lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: