PDA

View Full Version : Sigh . . . just spent $50 on a new remote

babiesX2
07-09-2006, 09:44 AM
Yesterday, I was paying DD13 to "babysit" the twins for me while I worked on this week's eBay listings. I heard the twins in the kitchen, and it sounded like they were fighting. They had the remote to our Sony TV, and they were playing tug of war with it. I took it away from them and noticed a red light flashing inside it (I'd never noticed this light before). Some of the buttons had big chunks bitten out of them :sad2: I was confused how they had even gotten the remote in the first place because I thought DD13 had super-glued it to her hand the day school let out for summer. :lmao: Yep, DD13 was asleep on the couch (just napping for a second ;) . Long story made short, the remote doesn't work now.

Last night after we were in bed, I kept hearing noises down in the living room. I got my baseball bat (I was home alone, Dh was working) and crept :tiptoe: down the stairs. I had put the broken remote on the end table and it was turning the TV off an on rapidly! :lmao: I put it in a drawer in the kitchen. Dh looked at it this morning and it is definitely broken. I bought a new one on a Buy It Now listing for about $5 cheaper than the other internet sources.

momm2four
07-09-2006, 10:30 AM
Aren't kids just wonderful? ;)

One of my boys sprayed some kind of cleaner into the front of my TV (those little vent holes), and late that night, around 1:00 am, it came on by itself and the volume turned itself all the way up. Talk about being jolted awake! I had to unplug the TV to get it to stop.

Sorry about the extra expenditure, but I do feel your pain.

Lori P. :)

babiesX2
07-09-2006, 10:53 AM
Whoever said "Kids are big money holes" was right on. How did you finally "fix" the TV?

blanq
07-09-2006, 11:10 AM
As the mother of a boy, I can't tell you how many remotes have been trashed or lost in our household! We have spent a good chunk of change on remotes. We now buy universal remotes at Target, and the last one we purchased a couple of years ago was a bit less than $20. $50 for a remotes seems awfully high to me.

ceecee
07-09-2006, 11:16 AM
:rotfl: Sorry about the remote! Your story cracks me up.......glued to her hand.

arminnie
07-09-2006, 11:32 AM
I came home very late one night and heard my tv on as I opened the front door. Living alone - I knew that it had been off when I left. Freaked me out until I realized that my dog had accidentally jumped on it.

babiesX2
07-09-2006, 12:34 PM
:rotfl: Sorry about the remote! Your story cracks me up.......glued to her hand.
If anyone else tries to touch that remote she goes into Defcon 5 Red Alert Mode!

Dh is an audio visual top of the line electronics NERD. Replacing the original remote with a generic universal remote would be a slap in the face to him. But $50 isn't bad. The remote has so many buttons he (well DD13) could launch the Space Shuttle with it. :lmao:

disneychrista
07-09-2006, 07:00 PM
$50 for a remote?? You could get a universal for $20 at Walmart.

crjack
07-09-2006, 07:59 PM
My children put a magnet up to our tv last year.....I didnt even know if they had repairmen that still made housecalls but I found out the hard way that they do!

lbgraves
07-09-2006, 09:09 PM
UGH! We are still looking for the remote that DD misplaced last week. :(

cristbaby
07-09-2006, 09:15 PM
My dog ate mine and swallowed the pieces! :eek:

Mandy_in_NC
07-10-2006, 04:23 AM
I feel your pain. We paid about $50.00 to replace our surround sound system remote. A universal remote would not work. I don't let my kids touch the remote to the surround sound now.