PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar with Osh Kosh, WI?

mjbaby
07-08-2006, 05:38 PM
We're going to be there in a couple weeks. Can you recommend some "must see" attractions (outside of AirVenture, which my husband has covered!).

TIA!

mommy*RN
07-08-2006, 06:20 PM
Hmm - the outlet malls in Oshkosh are always a hit. Otherwise you can always travel into Green Bay to gamble. Ummmm - I've been to Oshkosh a million times, but I can't really think of everything there is to DO there! I live in the Milwaukee area. I even tried looking at the City of Oshkosh website and there isn't much listed there. I would guess if you are going for the AirVenture there will be other stuff going on because of the tourism. I usually avoid Oshkosh that particular weekend!

Sorry I wasn't more helpful! The EAA museum is cool!

My SIL is out of town this weekend - but she goes up that way quite frequently to visit her inlaws...I will send this post her way too (she's tatoo goofy on the DIS.)

mjbaby
07-08-2006, 07:02 PM
Hmm - the outlet malls in Oshkosh are always a hit. Otherwise you can always travel into Green Bay to gamble.

Criminy. What on earth has my husband gotten my into? Sounds wretched.

I can understand why locals would stay away during AirVenture. It's been his dream to go for years and years and since we're spending a week near Lake Geneva this year is it. We'll be camping for several days in Osh Kosh prior to the event so will have some time to kill. I guess I'd better pack in some extra needlepoint!

Seriously, though, thanks for your help. I guess I'd better make peace with airplane overload!

snels
07-08-2006, 07:04 PM
We go there every year for the EAA. Is that why you are going? :thumbsup2

mjbaby
07-08-2006, 07:21 PM
We go there every year for the EAA. Is that why you are going? :thumbsup2

Yep. My husband and son are aviation enthusiast-types. They recently took a ride on a Ford Tri-Motor and they each glowed for days.

Me...I'm a little (o.k., a lot) less enthusiastic in airplanes unless they're taking me someplace fabulous. But I figure I've dragged my husband on enough of "my" vacations that I can go to this and at least have a pleasant enough time, you know?

snels
07-08-2006, 07:39 PM
You will be amazed at the size of the EAA. It will take alot of time to check out the airplanes. Make sure you go to the Warbird area. It is truly amazing! There will be at least 10,000 planes there. If you aren't that interested in the planes, you can go to the flea markets. There are alot of places where you can spend money. Last year I bought a new telescoping flag. There are booths set up for just about everything.

If you are there on Monday, July 24, the Beach Boys are performing at 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. :sunny:

The city of Oshkosh has a bus you can take downtown to shop. I think the bus is free.

LoriKay
07-08-2006, 07:48 PM
We've been to Oshkosh for AirVenture 5 or 6 times. In the past there have been buses that go to several locations. The one I'm most familiar with is the one to the outlet mall. We haven't been there for 2 years but the last time we were there the outlet mall had lost some of the better stores and I was disappointed. It was still worth doing and maybe some new places have been added. I will agree that the EAA museum is very well done and worth seeing. I'm not the aviation nut that my husband is but I do enjoy looking at the airplanes. The sheer number of them is almost unbelievable. If you're there the first day or the last day it's fun to watch the planes come in or leave in droves. Have fun!

mjbaby
07-08-2006, 07:50 PM
If you aren't that interested in the planes, you can go to the flea markets. There are alot of places where you can spend money. Last year I bought a new telescoping flag. There are booths set up for just about everything.

I love to look around at flea markets - how are the prices? I imagine that just about everything in Osh Kosh gets a bit more expensive during Air Venture.

I'd forgotten about the Beach Boys - thanks for the reminder. That will be a blast from the past, eh?

Hannathy
07-08-2006, 08:09 PM
Airventure is amazing! It is very large, tremendous amount of walking and hot.
Even if you aren't into planes it is still great. They do have a craft tent set up for people who attend make sure to check the schedule. Once it starts you won't be able to drag your DH and son away so if you want to go somewhere it should be before it opens. There isn't a lot right in Oshkosh but if you have time before and want a day trip Wisconsin Dells is a bit less than 2 hrs and your son may like that, 20 minutes away in Appleton is the Timber rattlers- Seattles minor league team, nice stadium and inexpensive. Green Bay is about 45 minutesss away if your son is a Packers fan, you can tour the stadium.

You will be tired from walking around all day in the sun and there are some evening programs. Without being an aviation nut you can still spend 2 days there easily.

debbi801
07-08-2006, 08:42 PM
From what I remember from the last time I went, there are semi-organized bus trips you can join from the airport, to outlets, sight seeing, etc. Don't know how good they are, cause I always stayed at the air port to watch the air shows, demos, etc.

Have a great time!

moniot
07-08-2006, 09:31 PM
www.oshkoshcvb.org

Check out this website for some local stuff.

Have fun.

OhMari
07-08-2006, 09:35 PM
I live about 20 minutes from Oshkosh, my dentist is in Oshkosh. Someone said to go to Wisconsin Dells, you could, but it is all backroads, no express way.

Do you have a vehicle?

The outlet Mall just opened an Old Navy and Gap, except the prices seem to be about the same as the regular stores. Otherwise go 20 miles north to the mall in Appleton, a lot more stores and prices aren't to bad. There is a new IMAX in Neenah.

I've been to the EAA a couple of times, I love the old War Birds. You can hear them come and then we sit outside and watch them, then tend to come in all together. They literally fly about the height of our water tower. I know there is an airshow every day around 3:30 p.m.

Also if you are a people watcher, a lot of celebrities attend, they are members of the EAA. I remember back in 1997 John Kennedy Jr. attended and the local news caught up with him and he said he just got his pilots license and just joined the EAA. They found out he brought a tent and slept under his plane. I know a lot of astronauts also attend.

10 miles south is Fond du Lac, and they have the Galloway House, which is an mansion with about 15 other buildings you and tour thru.

If you are going out to eat Friar Tucks is right next to EAA-large sandwhich type place and not expensive. If you have a car go to River Brewery Resturant. Many volunteers work at EAA and they have booths there to help you find anything you may be looking for.

The week will go fast for you, my son races moto-cross and I have to go along to the races a couple of times a year-I feel out of my element too, but I go and make the most of it.

Hope the weather is good. I've seen at times some nasty Thunderstorms at that time of the year. I always feel sorry for the people that camp in tents.

mapmakerj
07-09-2006, 08:33 AM
I live in Oshkosh! While there isn't a ton to due here, there are a few things of interest. In addition to all the Airventure activities,(which by the way my DH and I love. He is a pilot and I have been to the fly-in many times in my life )the EAA museum and outlet mall (yes, they have added quite a few new stores this year- Gap, Old Navy, Bath and Body Works, Vanity Fair to name a few), we have a couple antique malls, a nice little museum with a very interesting clock called the Apostle Clock, a Mansion/Art Museum called the Paine Art center across the street from the museum and we have a nice park with a small free zoo on the lake called Menominee Park. Just north in Appleton, they have a good sized shopping mall, lots of nice parks, a historical museum and Houdini Museum (Harry Houdini was born in Appleton) and a couple of decent antique malls. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have about the area, as I have lived here all my life. I forgot to add that we have a couple really nice mini-golf courses if you are interested in some outdoor stuff.

LoriKay
07-09-2006, 12:24 PM
I forgot that there's a great little root beer place where the servers deliver on roller skates. The root beer is wonderful!

2minnies
07-09-2006, 04:38 PM
Just a note: the IMAX theater is in Appleton, not Neenah - http://www.bigpicturetheater.com/

ETA: Here's the info on the root beer stand - don't miss it! http://www.foodspot.com/ardyandeds/index.html

mommy*RN
07-09-2006, 05:55 PM
And Mr. Cinders! I always HAD to eat at Mr. Cinders when I would come to Oshkosh to visit my friend...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! popcorn:: (sorry - there is no smiley stuffing his/her face like I do at Mr. Cinders...)

ButterflyJen
07-09-2006, 07:08 PM
I'm somewhat familiar with Oshkosh, given that I grew up and live there now. :sunny:

I second Mr. Cinders for food. Yum, their burgers are divine. And Ardy & Ed's is the drive-in by the lake with the fantastic root beer. I hate root beer but I love theirs! :drinking1

If you want ice cream at a drive-in, Leon's on the other side of town is pretty darn good!

I work at the outlet mall and it's pretty good. If you're into children's clothes, The Children's Place has great deals. :)

If you're there on a Thursday night, check out Waterfest on the river. They have some good acts that come in. So far this year they've had Starship, BoDeans, and Marshall Tucker (that's just a few that come to mind). I'm not sure who's playing during EAA though.