PDA

View Full Version : Car insurance advice?

dizneefamily5
07-08-2006, 04:38 PM
I'm just curious to know what a good rate is for car insurance. We have Geico - we pay $112 per month. We have been lowering all possible expenses - satellite, phone, cell phones etc. and wondering if we are getting a good rate or not. I am 32, dh is 38, never been at fault in an accident and haven't had a claim since 1997. Any advice? Can we do better? Did I give you enough info? Oh, we have $250 deductibles, 2003 Chevy Venture and 1998 Honda CRV.

disneynutt1225
07-08-2006, 04:45 PM
Perhaps if you raised your deductible to $500 instead of $250. That should save you at least a few pennies. Also, if you take a safe driving course (even if you've got a perfect record) it should also reduce your insurance. I think by up to 10%. Do your cars have antitheft devices? Are they passive or active? That also saves a percentage. If you stick with a company for several years, they will also decide to give you a discount. Overall, your payment isn't really that bad for two drivers, two cars.

I'm paying $179 a month for two drivers, one car, in NY. Mainly it's high because I'm living with my parents right now and my father's record isn't stellar to say the least. Hopefully once we get married, the insurance will go down a bit.

tinaluis
07-08-2006, 05:08 PM
We pay $112 a month for a 2005 Honda Civic (full coverage) and 1995 Pontiac Transport (liability only). I agree that you should bump your deductibles up to $500. Also, try progressive.com for a quote (and the rates of competitors). I recently got a quote from esurance.com which was MUCH lower than my current rate, but I've gotten mixed reviews on the company. One DISer strongly warned me away from them because of a bad experience, but two others said they were great. Our current insurance, Liberty Mutual, runs out in September so we'll have to decide before then.

kfeuer
07-08-2006, 05:09 PM
I work in an insurance agency, but there's way too many variables to know if you have a good rate or not. I'd suggest calling around and getting some quotes.

Raising your deductibles to $500 will help, just make sure you've got enough in your emergency fund to cover it. Not all insurance companies offer discounts for driving courses, you'd need to check on that before you think about doing it. Most companies give a discount if you have your home and auto with the same company, so definitely check with whomever has your home/renters insurance.

SarahKate
07-08-2006, 05:12 PM
We have state farm and pay about $105 a month for two vehicles. One is a Honda Odyssey and the other is a Scion TC (made by Toyota). I think our deductible is $100 and we have liability on it as well. We get a multi car discount, as well as safe driver. The times we've had to use it, we've had GREAT experiences. Last time was 2 years ago, when our van was broken into and the right passenger window was shattered. Didn't have to pay the deductible and didn't even have to get it appraised. They gave me a list of "preapproved" service places and I basically picked one. Didn't have to pay one penny up front, it was all 100% covered. I have absolutely no complaints about State Farm!!! oh and we also have our homeowner's insurance through them so that might give us a little discount as well.

Check out the thread about cell phone carriers too. We are cosidering switching to a prepaid phone, as we don't use our Cingular plan enough to justify the cost.

of the seas
07-08-2006, 07:17 PM
I pay about $84 a month for a 2005 dodge magnum from Nationwide insurance. I went to lowermybills.com and it helped me find a great price!

sorul82?
07-08-2006, 07:38 PM
I am a licensed agent in NC. Like another poster said, there are so many factors that determine rates and every state is different. One thing you didn't mention, which affects the rate is the distance to work or school. Most people answer "oh, 10 miles or so." Well, if it's 9 miles, that's one rate, 10 puts you at a higher rate(this may or may not be so for your state). As also stated, raise your deductible, and do you have your state's minimum limits? Make sure you are getting discounts for anti-lock brakes, dual airbags, multi-car discount, etc. You may want to get a quote from whoever has your homeowners as many companies are big on multi-policy discounts. Whew, what else? Are both vehicles paid off?

disneychrista
07-08-2006, 07:47 PM
Deffiently agree on rasing the deductable but also that you should "shop around."

I just did quick quotes on both progressive and gieco and my AAA policy still comes out over $150 cheaper (over 12 months) then either of those. So that is my advice, call up your local AAA office and get a quote. You will have to join/be a memeber to get coverage, though.

Carrie Ellis
07-08-2006, 08:07 PM
I just called Geico yesterday to ask about our rates. We were paying $159/month for a Cougar RV, 04 KIA van and a 03 3500 Dodge Ram Diesel. We have no accidents or tickets. I thought it was just too high still. I requested a credit check for us that will NOT raise your rates, just lower it if it meets their requirements. Also, she sent it to the underwriter for a quick look while I was on the phone and he/she bumped another $58/6 months off. Also, Geico will give 10% off your rate if you take a defensive driving course. You can take one online and you can find an approved one on www.nsc.org.

Always call and ask for them to take a look. Ask about everything. We are federal employees and found out that they give a discount if you are a GS-13. I did that call about 6 months ago and never would have knew if I had not called.

So, call!

DawnM
07-09-2006, 06:37 AM
I was surprized to find that our rates in NC were not that far less than our rates in Los Angeles!

We have State Farm and pay $125 per month for 3 cars, 2 Saturns and a Sequoia. In LA we paid $150 per month. In LA I got the teacher discount but I can't imagine it would have been THAT much less because of that.

We have excellent driving records, are in our late 30's and have $500 deductable.

Dawn

Debbie Jean
07-09-2006, 11:01 AM
Well, I can only look on in envy since I live in NJ, the state with highest auto insurance in the country :furious: Both my daughter (19) and I have clean driving records, mine for over 35 years. With a $500 deductable I pay over $2500 a year for 2 cars, both 2003 Ford Focuses. :crazy:

Most of the people I know with teens pay much more than I, so I guess I should be grateful :rolleyes1