PDA

View Full Version : Do you like the signatures?

Marie17
07-08-2006, 04:20 PM
I've only been on the DIS boards for a little while but I was wondering how many people actually like all the signatures? Do you find them useful? Do you just turn them off? Do you think they take up too much space? Do you read them? Do you just scroll down and don't care?

I have a simple quote as mine - Be not afraid from Pope John Paul - someone I admire. I once posted in some thread suggesting to the thread starter that he could try and make up a story about wanting to propose to his wife to get (yikes - FREE) admission into the park right before the fireworks went off - he only wanted to be near the international walkway area at Epcot to see them. Was I creamed!!!! Needless to say because I "suggested" this I was considered a hypocrite - because I have a quote from the Pope (even though I am not). After a while, I even went so far as to say I think all these signatures with how many trips (and lots of people have ones that aren't Disney), how much weight, lots of ticker clocks, pictures of resorts, etc. was a sort of ego trip.

Mickey&Donald
07-08-2006, 04:31 PM
Wow, I didn't realize that signatures were so... deep. :snooty:

Personally, I see our signatures listing our trips as ways to connect to each other. I see weight loss tickers as a way to show a great accomplishment (and anyone who's lost weight has the right to brag! It's not easy!). Pictures, whether they be of resorts, characters, family members, pets, whatever, are a way to show affection for those places/people.

Now, if someone had a signature listing their 4,203rd Disney trip, with the words "I've been more times than anyone here! YOU ALL SUCK!", I could see taking offense. ;) Luckily, no one's done that, so I'm not going to worry about it.

babiesX2
07-08-2006, 04:38 PM
I only mind a sig when it violates the rules and regulations that the Disboard has set. The rules are posted on a sticky at the top of each board, but I think alot of people don't know it because I see sigs that are against the rules frequently. The main rules are sig should not be more than 12 lines and no more than 3 non-disboard graphics. There are regulations for the graphics, but I don't remember them right now.

I enjoy reading the sigs that aren't obnoxiously long. I think it gives lots of insight into a poster's personality (along with their avatars). :goodvibes For example, my sig lets you know that I'm married, have a 13 year old DD, and toddler twin daughters. We are planning to visit WDW in about 4 1/2 months for 2 weeks (can you tell what time of year?). Our family mini-van is red. We've taken multiple trips to Disney before, but our last was not too long before getting pregnant with the twins. I like analyzing sigs.

mommy*RN
07-08-2006, 04:38 PM
:cheer2: I LOVE MY FLAIR! :cheer2:
:lmao:
Actually - I look at the Signatures a lot! I even PM'd a DIS'r once who had a ticker showing how much weight she had lost - she did share her "secrets" with me. I love seeing the ages of their children and when they are traveling. In essence - I use the signatures a lot to check what I have in common with other posters. That said I understand some people want to keep it simple and I respect that...hence we are all different! I LOVE it!

Christypl
07-08-2006, 04:39 PM
Mine is watching the parade with my son during his first Disney trip. My dh was deployed at the time and we both needed a little magic.

mommy*RN
07-08-2006, 04:41 PM
I only mind a sig when it violates the rules and regulations that the Disboard has set. The rules are posted on a sticky at the top of each board, but I think alot of people don't know it because I see sigs that are against the rules frequently. The main rules are sig should not be more than 12 lines and no more than 3 non-disboard graphics. There are regulations for the graphics, but I don't remember them right now.

I enjoy reading the sigs that aren't obnoxiously long. I think it gives lots of insight into a poster's personality (along with their avatars). :goodvibes For example, my sig lets you know that I'm married, have a 13 year old DD, and toddler twin daughters. We are planning to visit WDW in about 4 1/2 months for 2 weeks (can you tell what time of year?). Our family mini-van is red. We've taken multiple trips to Disney before, but our last was not too long before getting pregnant with the twins. I like analyzing sigs.

You forgot to mention that your DH does laundry! I am SOOOO JEALOUS! ;)

katerkat
07-08-2006, 04:43 PM
Anyone who doesn't like my sig is silly. ;)

babiesX2
07-08-2006, 04:48 PM
You forgot to mention that your DH does laundry! I am SOOOO JEALOUS! ;)
:lmao: I forgot that one! He's hilarious and very anal retentive about the laundry. I, on the other hand, could live out of a clothes basket. I'm an RN, too! I keep waiting for the smiley with a nurse's hat on! :lmao: I just keep it with the crazy clown because that's really what I look like now.

babiesX2
07-08-2006, 04:49 PM
Anyone who doesn't like my sig is silly. ;)
I agree! :thumbsup2 Pics of cute kids are always a hit!

EEYOREMAMA
07-08-2006, 04:51 PM
Everyone who has posted before me. I love your siggies. They are unique and expressive and celelbrate who you are. I always read them and relate them to the people who are posting. I think siggies awesome :thumbsup2
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j135/eeyoremama/eeyoreanibird.gifWHO SAYS I'M GLOOMY?

twoprincesses
07-08-2006, 04:51 PM
Mine is watching the parade with my son during his first Disney trip. My dh was deployed at the time and we both needed a little magic.

I absolutely love your sig... and your story behind it made me teary-eyed.

DisneyGirl4188
07-08-2006, 04:53 PM
I LOVE signatures! :banana: I have met people here because of mine. They like my dogs, or pictures, whatever.

Some are silly, funny, touching. I think they are great (as are tags, but sadly I don't have one yet).

mommy*RN
07-08-2006, 04:56 PM
:lmao: I forgot that one! He's hilarious and very anal retentive about the laundry. I, on the other hand, could live out of a clothes basket. I'm an RN, too! I keep waiting for the smiley with a nurse's hat on! :lmao: I just keep it with the crazy clown because that's really what I look like now.
They do need to make a RN smiley! I doubt you look :crazy:! Maybe tired??? A teenage daughter and twin toddlers would make me tired! :hug:

mommy*RN
07-08-2006, 04:58 PM
Everyone who has posted before me. I love your siggies. They are unique and expressive and celelbrate who you are. I always read them and relate them to the people who are posting. I think siggies awesome :thumbsup2
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j135/eeyoremama/eeyoreanibird.gifWHO SAYS I'M GLOOMY?
I'm with you! I LOVE the pics too! They say a lot about what is important in everyone's lives...

The best part about sigs is that I've never seen one that has offended me...they represent US and what makes us different!

LONG LIVE THE PERSONALIZED SIGNATURES!!

babiesX2
07-08-2006, 05:06 PM
I'm saying Bye Bye to my old sig cause I found a nurse! I have to post this because it made me laugh!
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f139/babiesX2/deadhorse.gif I crack myself up! I don't understand why the tag fairy hasn't visited me yet. :sad2:

:crazy: Me ~*~ :laundy: DH ~*~ :beach: DD13 ~*~ :hyper2: twin DD's 16 months

Becky2005
07-08-2006, 05:09 PM
I like signatures.

Mine is basic but it has the important things in it for posting things regarding my trip (i.e. I'm a family of 6, have 1 girl, 3 boys, ages -- I figure it kind of makes me have less repetition if I'm asking regarding something age specific trip -- or makes more sense *why* I'm doing something one way vs. another). Every once in a while I tweak it (since we don't have an official trip planned yet, no countdown -- just a couple hypothetical ones!)

I'm not all that computer literate with posting stuff but at least I have the link to my trip report in it...that's actually mostly for MY benefit though, if someone asks a question and I want to refer to something I don't have to do a search to find my report. I can just click on it myself (besides it's fun to go back and re-read it every once in a while). :rotfl:

mommy*RN
07-08-2006, 05:22 PM
I'm saying Bye Bye to my old sig cause I found a nurse! I have to post this because it made me laugh!
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f139/babiesX2/deadhorse.gif I crack myself up! I don't understand why the tag fairy hasn't visited me yet. :sad2:

You are too FUNNY! You have me LMAO :lmao: ! Now I need the nurse...but please - stop beating the dead horse! :rotfl2: :lmao: :rotfl:

babiesX2
07-08-2006, 05:35 PM
You are too FUNNY! You have me LMAO :lmao: ! Now I need the nurse...but please - stop beating the dead horse! :rotfl2: :lmao: :rotfl:
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f139/babiesX2/nurse.gif
Cut and paste this into your sig but close in the spaces after the first IMG tag and the before the /IMG tag.

Or right click and save on your computer then upload to your photo hosting sight. I use photobucket. I got these from allnurses.com . The horse cracked me up! :lmao:

mommy*RN
07-08-2006, 06:08 PM
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f139/babiesX2/nurse.gif
Cut and paste this into your sig but close in the spaces after the first IMG tag and the before the /IMG tag.

Or right click and save on your computer then upload to your photo hosting sight. I use photobucket. I got these from allnurses.com . The horse cracked me up! :lmao:
Thanks! I changed it - and I like how I am floating above DH's pic - makes my superiority complex known to everyone! :rotfl2:

Mickey Fanatic
07-08-2006, 07:15 PM
I love looking at everyones signatures. As others have said it gives you an insight to the other people on the boards.

I am always jealous though when I see a trip coming up, especially since we don't have one planned right now.

jenr812
07-08-2006, 07:37 PM
Thanks! I changed it - and I like how I am floating above DH's pic - makes my superiority complex known to everyone! :rotfl2:
:rotfl2: Too funny!! I can't wait to "borrow" that nurse smilie next summer :goodvibes

I love the siggies too, except as mentioned when they are obnoxiously long (ie violate Disboard rules). It's fun to see a little glimpse of each other's lives!

T. Lynn
07-08-2006, 07:44 PM
I hated them when I had dial up. Took forever to load so I turned them off.

Now with DSL, I actually get to see and use them. Too cool...

Tinkerbell_Tiffany
07-08-2006, 07:47 PM
I like mine any everyone elses siggy!

mommy*RN
07-08-2006, 07:54 PM
I like mine any everyone elses siggy!
I love your pic!! Where did you take it??? Id love to do my kids here...DS LOVES Nemo!

3princesses+aprince
07-08-2006, 08:08 PM
I love the signatures too! I like to see how old everyone else's kids are, and when their next trip is. I also love pics, one day when i figure out how to do it , i'll have my kids pics on.

I also love to see my own sig. when I post with my kids names, ages, and My next trip to Disney :sunny:

Tinkerbell_Tiffany
07-08-2006, 08:14 PM
I love your pic!! Where did you take it??? Id love to do my kids here...DS LOVES Nemo!

we had it done right in fron of the living seas at epcot in february.. :cheer2:

Tinkerbell_Tiffany
07-08-2006, 08:19 PM
I love the signatures too! I like to see how old everyone else's kids are, and when their next trip is. I also love pics, one day when i figure out how to do it , i'll have my kids pics on.

I also love to see my own sig. when I post with my kids names, ages, and My next trip to Disney :sunny:

the easiest way to do it is to go here http://www.imageshack.us/ and click on browse then if you have the picture saved in your computer just find the picture and double click on it then click on host it,
once that is done you use the links it gives you for Hotlink for forums all you have to do is copy it and paste it into where you type here on the forums and just like magic you have your pic! pixiedust:
if you have other questions feel free to ask :)
oh and BTW if you want counters or glitter just click on mine and it will take to straight to it to make one yourself...

twoprincesses
07-08-2006, 08:22 PM

I agree, great pic! Too bad ours had some random French guy and girl who wouldn't move out of the way...

Hedy
07-08-2006, 09:32 PM
I love signatures. The only ones that bug me are the <i>put this in your sig if you've never ingested x substance with a bad statistic</i>. ones.

mantysk8coach
07-08-2006, 09:40 PM
I like signatures too. It gives you a glimpse into someones personality, and I think helps me remember people more. Having distinct signatures make people seem more like people, and not just another user name on a message board of 100,000 members. I haven't been around here that long, but there are definately certian posters that I recognize because of their unique signatures.

I like mine, but it needs to be changed. I just need to take the time do do it one of these days.

ETA - I do think my sig though breaks the 12 lines rule, I need to fix that.

HayGan
07-08-2006, 09:42 PM

ITA! :thumbsup2

I think that the signatures are cool but it drives me nuts when someone's signature takes up my entire screen (and often goes beyond my screen size!!!!) They are supposed to be cute little snippets of your life not your own personal novella :rotfl:

There have only been a few signatures that I have found to be truly offensive or inappropriate over the years (There are actually 3 floating around right now that bug me!) One even caused me to put the person on ignore.

meloneyb21
07-08-2006, 09:42 PM
I love signature's! Without them the posts seem bland. I love everyone's creativity.

tarheelmjfan
07-08-2006, 09:43 PM

I love that pic. How did you get it taken & what sizes were available? I'd love to have one like that of the 3 of us in a large print to hang on the wall.

tarheelmjfan
07-08-2006, 09:51 PM

I'm glad someone explained the horse thing. I thought you were making a political statement, & I'm so glad to be wrong. :rotfl: Don't feel bad about the tag fairy. I've been around here for years, & haven't been tagged. I guess we dont know the right people. ;)

I'm way too overprotective to post a pic of my DS, but you guys have inspired me to at least add my vacation countdowns to my sig. :teeth:

babiesX2
07-08-2006, 10:01 PM
I like signatures too. It gives you a glimpse into someones personality, and I think helps me remember people more. Having distinct signatures make people seem more like people, and not just another user name on a message board of 100,000 members. I haven't been around here that long, but there are definately certian posters that I recognize because of their unique signatures.

I like mine, but it needs to be changed. I just need to take the time do do it one of these days.

ETA - I do think my sig though breaks the 12 lines rule, I need to fix that.

No, it doesn't. :goodvibes

Are those the Nelson twins in your sig???

pearlieq
07-08-2006, 10:01 PM
Signatures and tags are my favorite part of the DIS experience. They add color (literally and figuratively) and help you "get" who a person is.

I like having my trip notes in there, first for my own memories, and secondly, so if I'm talking about DCL or OKW or something, people can actually see that I've been there and know what I'm talking about, not just blowing hot air.

I loved my WISH ticker (soon to return) and my WISH clippie. I worked dang hard for it and it's really part of the WISH culture and community.

Finally, I like putting my little rebuttal in the bottom of my sig. Those silly "98% of teenager..." sigs always kind of bugged me, so I used part of my space to set them straight. That part is mostly for my own amusement, though I occasionally get replies and PMs thanking me for putting it up!

The DIS without sigs would be so sad & bland!!!

babiesX2
07-08-2006, 10:04 PM
I'm glad someone explained the horse thing. I thought you were making a political statement, & I'm so glad to be wrong. :rotfl: Don't feel bad about the tag fairy. I've been around here for years, & haven't been tagged. I guess we dont know the right people. ;)

I'm way too overprotective to post a pic of my DS, but you guys have inspired me to at least add my vacation countdowns to my sig. :teeth:
:lmao: about the horse! I guess we aren't part of the right 'clique' to get noticed by the tag fairy. How about we start our own "No Tag" clique? :wave:

mommy*RN
07-08-2006, 10:10 PM
:rotfl2: Too funny!! I can't wait to "borrow" that nurse smilie next summer :goodvibes
You can use the nurse now...you're a NURSING STUDENT...right??? Use the nurse - come to the dark side - use the nurse - come to the dark side...

tarheelmjfan
07-08-2006, 10:14 PM
I guess we aren't part of the right 'clique' to get noticed by the tag fairy. How about we start our own "No Tag" clique? :wave:

Who needs a tag fairy, when we have 1/2 beaten horses. :lmao:

I tried to add my Universal Orlando & cruise countdowns from another site to my signature, but they didn't work. :confused3 Help!!!!

jultomzach
07-08-2006, 10:17 PM
make up a story about wanting to propose to his wife to get (yikes - FREE) admission into the park right before the fireworks went off

Making up a story? I call it lying.

mantysk8coach
07-08-2006, 10:23 PM
No, it doesn't. :goodvibes

Are those the Nelson twins in your sig???

Yes, those are the Nelson twins! I have been in to them since they were big in the early 90's. They are really good still, not heavy metal at all though. They have played at Epcot Flower & Garden Festival the last few years, but the timing has never been right for me to be there when they are.

And, I've already shortened my sig...it was longer when I first posted that before.

mommy*RN
07-08-2006, 10:24 PM

I tried to add my Universal Orlando & cruise countdowns from another site to my signature, but they didn't work. :confused3 Help!!!!
The Tag Fairy is watching...

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15/15_3_6.gif

Tinkerbell_Tiffany
07-08-2006, 10:33 PM

what site ru using mabe I can help you? :goodvibes

tarheelmjfan
07-08-2006, 10:44 PM
what site ru using mabe I can help you? :goodvibes

My cruise countdowns are from *****************. I couldn't find a Universal specific countdown, so I tried ******************** for UO.

Oh well, that should be carribean mag dot com & magical mountain dot net (no spaces).

Tinkerbell_Tiffany
07-08-2006, 11:00 PM
My cruise countdowns are from *****************. I couldn't find a Universal specific countdown, so I tried ******************** for UO.

Oh well, that should be carribean mag dot com & magical mountain dot net (no spaces).

what is the date ur leaving?

jenr812
07-08-2006, 11:46 PM
You can use the nurse now...you're a NURSING STUDENT...right??? Use the nurse - come to the dark side - use the nurse - come to the dark side...
:rotfl:

Debbie
07-09-2006, 04:25 AM
Gotta go with the flow. I love :love: the signatures. They really do give you insight into these DIS freaks---er fans---, and sometimes, as you scroll quickly by, you can stop at a post that is someone you "know". :teeth:

TnTWalter
07-09-2006, 06:04 AM
It would be nice sometimes to save time.

Trish

calypso*a*go-go
07-09-2006, 11:42 AM
I wouldn't recongize half the posters on here if it wasn't for their siggies! (I go agree though that some of them are a bit large and need to be scaled down.)

azgal81
07-09-2006, 12:03 PM
It would be nice sometimes to save time.

Trish

If you go to your account and click on edit options there's a section regarding images about half way down. There's a show signatures option which you can uncheck if you don't want to look at them.

azgal81
07-09-2006, 12:04 PM
I don't mind the signatures I think they are great. Although some of them I look at and wonder why they put that in their signature but whatever works for them!

jeankeri
07-09-2006, 12:17 PM
I miss my siggy :guilty: . I haven't had the patience (or brainpower) to figure out how to use the new system. And by new, I mean when they changed over a year and a half ago and removed all the old siggys... :rotfl2:

Christypl
07-09-2006, 12:23 PM
I love that pic. How did you get it taken & what sizes were available? I'd love to have one like that of the 3 of us in a large print to hang on the wall.

I made it myself using 3 pics that I took. I used Picasa to layer them. Then I used photo impression to add the boarder and words. It was easy.

EEYOREMAMA
07-09-2006, 03:53 PM
I wouldn't recongize half the posters on here if it wasn't for their siggies! (I go agree though that some of them are a bit large and need to be scaled down.)

Calypso,
I'm a BIG Thomas KinKade fan. Love your siggy :thumbsup2

tarheelmjfan
07-09-2006, 04:22 PM
what is the date ur leaving?

Our Universal Orlando/ Daytona Beach trip is next. That trip starts on the 23rd of this month. :cheer2:

tarheelmjfan
07-09-2006, 04:24 PM
I made it myself using 3 pics that I took. I used Picasa to layer them. Then I used photo impression to add the boarder and words. It was easy.

That is so neat. I'll have to try it sometime. A framed pic like that would make a great Christmas gift for my inlaws. :)

CarolA
07-09-2006, 04:28 PM
I don't like the signatures since I think they are partially responsible for the periodic "server too busy" notificaitons!

Disneyrsh
07-09-2006, 04:33 PM
I love to look at the signatures! I have a funny story about mine; I had a photograph of my husband and myself at our wedding, and somebody came up to him at work and said "hey, you're on the disboards!" And he's like, the WHAT boards? And the co-worker showed him a thread I was posting on.

He was not amused, especially since I think it was one of those 'woman troubles' sort of thread :rotfl: .

So I've changed it and now it's just me looking like a lunatic with Pooh.

Disneyrsh
07-09-2006, 04:35 PM
I don't like the signatures since I think they are partially responsible for the periodic "server too busy" notificaitons!

Nope, it's not. You can check with the webmasters. The people who accidentally put in monster images can screw up the works, though.

mickeyluv'r
07-09-2006, 05:18 PM
Okay, I guess I'm the voice if dissent here. I'm sort of neutral, and I don't think about them much. Some of the bigger ones could do more with less, and take up less room. A tiny picture of Mickey (I DON'T have any particular poster in mind) does more for me than a big one.
A few are clever, and ones with a single line are fine. Sometimes they reveal something interesting about a person (the goldfish cracker dog), but many do not IMHO, and once you've seen it once...you still see it again every time that person posts. I think my favorites are the ones where people list all the times they've been to WDW - it gives you a sense that they know about WDW (or if there's hints that they might be a cast member). I've noted several posters who claim to know all sorts of things, only to discover later that they've either never been to WDW, or they've been once. It strikes me as odd. Though I suppose people lie too.

Personally, I just don't like the idea of having too much info about me posted out there. I googled myself once and found a single post that I made to a blog before the word blog was out there..back when screens were monochrome. It was a little creepy.

jeankeri
07-09-2006, 06:07 PM
I liked mine so much I tried to redo mine. :sunny:

mking624
07-09-2006, 06:28 PM
I love the sigs. I think it really helps us to to kind of "know" a person because they share themselves with you through it. I hardly consider any part of a signature egotistical.

And honestly, it's also an easy way for me to spot members I "know." I'm awful remembering everyone's username...especially Dis being as large as it is. But show me a sig and I can probably tell you a lot about that member. :lmao:

The only thing I would caution is to be careful when choosing your sig...because what you put there can come back to bite you later (hence what you experienced, OP).

sconnell
07-09-2006, 06:53 PM
Aww... I love seeing the siggies. I'm another one who uses them to identify my "friends." (Bad with user names. lol.) My pic is about a month old now. Need to work on a new one. :surfweb:

MsLeFever
07-09-2006, 07:33 PM
I like them! I use them to identify posters because I'm a visual learner and images stick to my brain more than user names. I hope to get a new photo of my kiddos at WDW in a month to replace the old Christmas time one!

calypso*a*go-go
07-09-2006, 08:00 PM
Calypso,
I'm a BIG Thomas KinKade fan. Love your siggy :thumbsup2

Thank you EEYOREMAMA...your's is pretty cool too! :cheer2:

Marie17
07-10-2006, 08:09 AM
I can only image how much bandwidth must be used just to have so many of them. I believe most people know that bandwidth can be expensive. Some are okay if they are simple. But to me the ones that have ticker clocks for every trip outside of their home is a little much :) I think the next trip to WDW will do.

But I do wonder about the bandwidth question because on some boards that does come into play regarding expenses. Does the DISboards ask for a member or sponsorship fee? I haven't seen anything like that and do love that the board is free so who pays for all this?

macfamily
07-10-2006, 09:06 AM
I must admit I was curious about the bandwidth as well; I have *never* come across another board with as much leeway regarding sigs before! I love being able to have my girl's picture up; I should probably try to jazz it up a bit, heh :)

I know that there are some boards that limit the sig to your first post in a thread, and then it doesn't show if you post again in the same thread; I'm surprised that's not done here...

Am_I_There_Yet
07-10-2006, 09:30 AM
I get lots of comments on mine, so I know people look. Heck, I even get PM's on it.

Of course, none of it is related to me. :confused3

bevtoy
07-10-2006, 09:37 AM
I've only been on the DIS boards for a little while but I was wondering how many people actually like all the signatures? Do you find them useful? Do you just turn them off? Do you think they take up too much space? Do you read them? Do you just scroll down and don't care?

I have a simple quote as mine - Be not afraid from Pope John Paul - someone I admire. I once posted in some thread suggesting to the thread starter that he could try and make up a story about wanting to propose to his wife to get (yikes - FREE) admission into the park right before the fireworks went off - he only wanted to be near the international walkway area at Epcot to see them. Was I creamed!!!! Needless to say because I "suggested" this I was considered a hypocrite - because I have a quote from the Pope (even though I am not). After a while, I even went so far as to say I think all these signatures with how many trips (and lots of people have ones that aren't Disney), how much weight, lots of ticker clocks, pictures of resorts, etc. was a sort of ego trip.

I am just posting for an ego trip
.NOT! :rotfl2::stir:
Actually, I do NOT have all my past trips to Disney or anywhere else in my sig because I don't want to brag. The current ticker:hourglass is because we are excited about our upcoming 25th anniversary tripparty:. The romance is still alive!:love:pixiedust:

trulygoofy
07-10-2006, 09:38 AM
EEEWWW!! I thought the dead horse was a pinata when I first looked at it. I thought it was so cute and then read more posts and realized the cute pinata was a dead horse. How funny :rotfl:

I like to see everyones signatures. I never would have know DisneyGirl4188 also has a boxer. Cute pic of the dogs. Our boxer is named Auggie Doggie.

O.K. I think I'm the only one here who does not know what the tag fairy is. I've heard about it before, but never understood what people were talking about. :confused: Can someone fill me in?

Littlemotherhaywood
07-10-2006, 11:49 AM
I love looking at siggies. It think if offers insight into the personalities of others and just seems more personal than the words we see. I love having a siggie because I get to see my two greatest joys everytime I post something. If that has something to do with my ego (because of course I think they're beautiful) then I'm not sorry, lol. I just wish I had a really cool pic from when we visited the world. It would seem we are not the best vacation photographers. I like even better that it's free to post your siggies here. I visit another board that you have to subscribe to to post pics:)

Disneyrsh
07-10-2006, 11:51 AM
I get lots of comments on mine, so I know people look. Heck, I even get PM's on it.

Of course, none of it is related to me. :confused3

Your picture of Chloe in the signature is one of my girls' favorites-they ask me every time I scroll by the photo-Mommy, how did they get their dog to stand so still!?

Very cool.

Am_I_There_Yet
07-10-2006, 11:55 AM
Your picture of Chloe in the signature is one of my girls' favorites-they ask me every time I scroll by the photo-Mommy, how did they get their dog to stand so still!?

Very cool.

Awww, I love hearing that! Thanks from me and from Chloe! :goodvibes

amwhitaker
07-10-2006, 12:22 PM
Gotta love a good siggy! :banana:

Marie17
07-10-2006, 12:56 PM
I must admit I was curious about the bandwidth as well; I have *never* come across another board with as much leeway regarding sigs before! I love being able to have my girl's picture up; I should probably try to jazz it up a bit, heh :)

I know that there are some boards that limit the sig to your first post in a thread, and then it doesn't show if you post again in the same thread; I'm surprised that's not done here...

That's what pretty much made me decide to start this thread. It seems to be a costly expense due to the amount of bandwidth taken up. Lots of sites have a place to see a "public profile" of the person so you have the same information shown that way if you are looking for a person's background. I just don't see the need to have it everytime.

I may be wrong but I just don't notice the sponsors of this whole website. Am I missing something or particular companies?

jeepgirl30
07-10-2006, 12:57 PM
I hate sigs. Well not really hate but they make it hard to surf at work!!! Now at home I have no issues with them.

CheshireVal
07-10-2006, 01:03 PM
I hate big obnoxious sigs or, really, anything that might call attention to what I'm looking at while at work. ;) I keep mine to a small picture and a countdown, and I sometimes feel like I should take even those away!

I really dislike sigs that have unnecessarily HUGE pictures or, worse, a jillion smilies all moving and blinking. It's really distracting.

robinb
07-10-2006, 01:18 PM
I like most signatures unless they are too big and/or long. I like photos of real people and I don't mind sharing a picture of my daughter.

There are a couple of posters I have put on "ignore" because of the their signatures. I don't care to be slapped in the face by their political & religious messages everytime I read one of their posts.

mking624
07-10-2006, 01:37 PM
It seems to be a costly expense due to the amount of bandwidth taken up.
If the image isn't stored on the Dis itself, the only bandwidth it's going to affect is that of the host site of the images. For example, my images are stored on photobucket.com....so any views of my images effect my bandwidth there, not on Dis. A view of a thread or a post on a thread will affect bandwidth here because that's actually being "stored" here. But an image hosted on another site will only affect the bandwidth of that particular site. So expense no longer really becomes an issue since typically the only Dis hoted images in a sig are usually only the smilies...which isn't going to affect much bandwidth if people didn't use them in their sigs.

Lots of sites have a place to see a "public profile" of the person so you have the same information shown that way if you are looking for a person's background. I just don't see the need to have it everytime.
The simple solution as people have pointed out is to simply turn off the sigs. But it's pretty clear that Dis doesn't have a problem with sigs repeating themselves.

tarheelmjfan
07-10-2006, 01:38 PM
That's what pretty much made me decide to start this thread. It seems to be a costly expense due to the amount of bandwidth taken up. Lots of sites have a place to see a "public profile" of the person so you have the same information shown that way if you are looking for a person's background. I just don't see the need to have it everytime.

I may be wrong but I just don't notice the sponsors of this whole website. Am I missing something or particular companies?

Look at the top & bottom of every page, & you'll see plenty of sponsors. Also, Dreams Unlimited is a major sponsor. I'm sure you must have seen a pic of Tour Guide Mike at some point. He's another sponsor. There's also the Swan & Dolphin hotels, & FL Tours transportation.

Personally, the only sigs. that bother me are the ones that force you to scroll to the right to read the post.

mking624
07-10-2006, 01:39 PM
There are a couple of posters I have put on "ignore" because of the their signatures. I don't care to be slapped in the face by their political & religious messages everytime I read one of their posts.
I see where you're coming from...but the same could be said about the tags as well. For example, yours says "every child is a wanted child"...which is your personal message on what you stand for. I'm sure someone can take that as a slap in the face as well (and for the record, I actually love your tag). Anyway, just saying that it's not just limited to sigs...but that anything you put can be potentially offensive to anyone.

Disneyrsh
07-10-2006, 01:40 PM
I like most signatures unless they are too big and/or long. I like photos of real people and I don't mind sharing a picture of my daughter.

I haven't seen one of those, yet. Either I'm not paying attention (I love looking at the pictures) or I'm on the wrong threads...

ilovepooh
07-10-2006, 01:48 PM
I like the signatures. It shows everyone's different personalities!! :sunny:

sameyeyam
07-10-2006, 01:53 PM
I always look at the sigs. I find it especially helpful if they list the kids ages. That way if they are looking for some sort of advice on rides or dining, you can help them a little more.

I like to know what part of the country people are from. For instance if someone from Alaska wants to know what to wear to Disney in August, I would probably give different advice than to someone from Arizona.

It also seems fun to me to see how long until their next Disney trip and how many times they have been.

robinb
07-10-2006, 02:50 PM
I see where you're coming from...but the same could be said about the tags as well. For example, yours says "every child is a wanted child"...which is your personal message on what you stand for. I'm sure someone can take that as a slap in the face as well (and for the record, I actually love your tag). Anyway, just saying that it's not just limited to sigs...but that anything you put can be potentially offensive to anyone.

:confused3 So what's your point? If someone is offended by my tag then they can put me on ignore too. The tag doesn't show when someone is on ignore.

Signatures are very personal. I would never tell the person with the giant animated cross, bible quote and stuff about "he died for you" that they can't say that in their signature. If they want to wear their religion on their sleeve and in their signature or in their tag (and in this poster's case both, LOL!), I'm OK with that. I just don't need to see it every time they post, so they are on ignore.

Marie17
07-10-2006, 03:11 PM
[QUOTE=mking624]If the image isn't stored on the Dis itself, the only bandwidth it's going to affect is that of the host site of the images. For example, my images are stored on photobucket.com....so any views of my images effect my bandwidth there, not on Dis. A view of a thread or a post on a thread will affect bandwidth here because that's actually being "stored" here. But an image hosted on another site will only affect the bandwidth of that particular site. So expense no longer really becomes an issue since typically the only Dis hoted images in a sig are usually only the smilies...which isn't going to affect much bandwidth if people didn't use them in their sigs.

So if I had an image (I don't) it would cost the other website the bandwidth and not the Dis board? I thought it was any amount of bytes being used by a site affected their width no matter where the picture was stored. It has to be uploaded or at least put into some sort of cache to be viewed. Some sites I have been on don't really like avatars because they took up space.

Marie17
07-10-2006, 03:36 PM
And something else, is it 12 lines of text or is 12 lines total?

So when you make up a signature does it have a line countdown? Or does it wrap? I only needed one.

PaulaSue
07-10-2006, 03:52 PM
I look at most of them as long as they aren't too long. I get board easy and can't take more than a few lines, personally.

BethR
07-10-2006, 06:40 PM
I am going to copy the post that is "stuck" at the top of this board which gives very clear details on what is and is not permitted in your DIS signature.

And if am reading it correctly Marie, you cannot have more than 12 LINES. It is discussed under #4 below. :)

Is your DISboard Signature Legal?

In order to keep the DISboards both friendly and efficient, there are guidelines users are to follow when developing their signatures. Many users are unaware of the guidelines and unknowingly create signatures that in many cases exceed the guidelines.

NOW is the time to check your signature and make certain you're legal.

While we send out notices to those users who have signatures that do not meet guidelines, this is time consuming for the moderators and Tech Support volunteers on these boards. In some cases when a user does not correct a signature, it is necessary for us to delete their signature entirely. This can be unfortunate if someone has put a lot of effort into creating their signature.

The MAIN violations we commonly find are listed below:

1. No more than three images are allowed. All of the following each count as an image: (1) A photo, (2) A Clipart, (3) A Countdown, (4) A 'sparkly' signature, (5) Any non DISboard smilie, (6) Eggs. Note also that WISH images each count toward the maximum of three images allowed.

Thus if you have a sparkly signature line, 2 photos, 3 countdowns, 2 eggs, and 1 WISH, your total image count is 9, or triple the allowed number.

Remember, if you add any type of Holiday decorations to your signature, it all counts toward 3-image maximum.
------------------------------------------------------------
2. No single image may exceed 550 pixels in width nor 200 pixels in height. The old standard was that all images combined must fit within a single 400x400 square. This was changed earlier this year to the current requirement. If you have a signature developed to the old requirements, you need to fix it to meet the current requirements.

The most common item we find are users with an image that is greater than the allowed 200 pixel maximum height requirement. Be sure you check ALL your images in your signature to be sure none of them exceeds 200 pixels tall.
3. The TOTAL filespace of all your images combined must not exceed 50KB. (That's 51,200 bytes).

One item we commonly find are uses of animated gifs which can have very large filesizes. If you have an animated gif such as a sparkly signature, or other 'moving' image, be sure you add up all the filesizes for all images. If you have highly detailed photos, it's also easy to exceed the 50KB combined filespace limit.
4. The TOTAL number of lines in your signature may not exceed 12. All of the following count as a line: (1) a line of text, (2) a blank line, (3) an image of any kind on it's own line (such as photo, countdown, smilie, egg, etc), (4) any type of spacer such as a dashed line.

The most common item we find here are users with a long vertical list of their WDW trips. Instead of putting all these on separate lines, one on top of the other, it's suggested you put them on one horizontal line going across the page. Many users do this and differentiate the trips by using different colors, etc.

Note: The above items are not all inclusive. There are other signature requirements. You can see the full Signataure Guidelines with samples by clicking HERE (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=947493) . This also gives you an explanation on why the guidelines are important.

If you don't know if your photo, countdown, etc meets guidelines, you can look at your signature in one of your posts, and right-click directly on the image, and from the drop-down menu, select PROPERTIES. The image's properties will show. There you can get both it's filesize and it's dimensions ( Width x Height). If the height dimension is greater than 200 your image does not meet guidelines.

If you add up the filesizes of all your images, and the total exceeds 51,200 bytes, then you do not meet guidelines.

You can see a typical Properties screen in the example below.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/photopost/data/500/18721PropertiesExample-med.jpg

Thank you for your cooperation. If anyone needs technical help, feel free to visit the Technical Support Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43) .

ThreeMusketeers
07-10-2006, 08:54 PM
I love Signitures, i think it adds to the possiability that there are actually "real people" out there, and we are all not just talking to a computer.

mommy*RN
07-11-2006, 12:29 PM
I'll have to keep my eyes open for it in Oct...THANKS! :thanks:

DVC-Don
07-12-2006, 04:56 PM
I don't have one and turn them off for others.

maddhatir
07-12-2006, 09:04 PM

OMG! babiesX2 that picture has GOT to be THEEEEEE most funniest thing i have ever seen! i wanna steal it......can i?:yay:......please?......:hyper:

i am one "those" animal rights people (but a nice one ;) ).... but i havta say......i am cracking up with you! :lmao:

and i see its titled -deadhorse! :lmao: