PDA

View Full Version : NW airlines award miles

DawnM
07-08-2006, 04:20 PM
I recently had a letter in the mail saying that my rewards (17,000 of them) needed to be used or they would be gone!

It may be too late, but has anyone sucessfully gotten miles/awards extended?

Thanks,

Dawn

taximomfor4
07-08-2006, 04:41 PM
Shoot,
I didn't know they can expire...I have some on there from 2001! (Still not enought to do anything with, so I hope they stay there till I am ready to use them!)

arminnie
07-08-2006, 05:01 PM
Most just want any kind of activity in a 3 year period to extend them. One way to do it would be to apply for a NW credit card. I think just the application would count even if you get turned down. (not sure though)

If you do get approved and use the card once you would 1)get about 15,000 bonus miles and 2)keep your other miles active. You can cut it up afterwards.

If you already have a card - just use it for a small purchase.

DawnM
07-08-2006, 07:28 PM
Ah, then I think it is all gone. I didn't know about the cc thing although don't they charge $60 year for the cc? They did last time I checked.

I think mine have actually expired then. sigh.

Dawn

arminnie
07-08-2006, 11:43 PM
Ah, then I think it is all gone. I didn't know about the cc thing although don't they charge $60 year for the cc? They did last time I checked.

I think mine have actually expired then. sigh.

Dawn

If they sent you a letter you should still be okay. Go to the Northwest Home page, sign-in and under the Worldperks tab (upper right) go to WorldPerks University. You read some stuff and answer some really dumb questions and you earn a few points. That should be enough to keep you active.

You also could go to WorldPerks mall and go order something from one of the sites if there is anything you need.

American Airlines and United have been offering a free year (no fee) for new mileage card members. You could always call and ask Northwest if they will do that also.

swilshire
07-09-2006, 06:51 AM
Do a little reading on flyertalk.com . Those folks have all sorts of clever ways of extending miles. Flying a partner airline, staying at a partner hotel or renting a car from a partner. It's endless.

I understand Delta is lowering the three years to two beginning in 2007. That makes it hard to keep my kids' accounts active, since they seldom fly.

Sheila