PDA

View Full Version : Easy Recipes For Vacation Goodies!

tarheelmjfan
07-07-2006, 07:31 PM
Now that we're on the subject of recipes, let's give this a try. :teeth:

My family spends way too much money on food, while on vacation. We rarely eat out at home & more than make up for it on vacation. :blush: We like dining at nice places that unfortunately come with a nice size check at the end. :rolleyes1 I know we're not going to sacrifice nice dinners, so I've come up with a compromise. I've almost convinced my DH & DS that we should eat breakfast & lunch in the room on our upcoming USO/ beach trip. Our food budget can all go toward dinner, so it won't seem so bad. To keep everyone from feeling deprived, I want to make some homemade goodies for the room. Hopefully, this will also keep us out of the bakeries. :rolleyes: When my family thinks about goodies, we're talking about the ooey gooey, fattening kind. You know, fudge, brownies, cookies, etc. ;) No trail mix for us. :p

Please, share your easy recipes for yummy snacks to take on vacation & keep in the room. TIA :)

mommiepoppins
07-07-2006, 07:53 PM
strawberry short cake
2 frozen or fresh containers of strawberrys throw in bowl
add 1 pakage of strawberry jello ( just the powder)
1 container of cool wip thrown in
and 1 angle food cake cut up. Mix all and = yummy!!!!! :yay:

LSUDis
07-07-2006, 09:21 PM
Cream cheese brownies are always good.

--Just mix up some Duncan Hines brownie mix, pour into the pan
Next, in another bowl, mix 8 oz. cream cheese, 2 eggs, 1 box powdered sugar, and 1 tsp. vanilla. Pour on top of brownie mix.
Bake at 350 for 45 mins. or so.

Candy shop pizza

1 roll cookie dough--sugar, choc. chip, etc.
1 bag choc. chips-semi or milk
1/2 c. peanut butter (if you like it)
various candy bars, chopped--Snickers, Heath, Crunch, M&M's, malt balls, whatever you like

Spread the roll of cookie dough on a pizza pan. Bake it per directions.
While it's warm, sprinkle the choc. chips on and drop the peanut butter by spoonfuls. Let it become shiny (5 mins.); then, spread. Top with chopped candy bars. Eat!

bevtoy
07-07-2006, 11:33 PM
Classic Rice Krispy treats never fail to please. We also like them made from Cocoa krispies with a few chocolate chips thrown in.

daksmom11
07-07-2006, 11:56 PM
Classic Rice Krispy treats never fail to please. We also like them made from Cocoa krispies with a few chocolate chips thrown in.

MMMmmm! Got to try the chocolate kind ! :thumbsup2

AlaskaMOM
07-08-2006, 12:52 AM
We love em also w/ fruity pebbles or fruit loops, they store well (as long as humidity is down)
Another goodie is carmel corn; bagged in individual servings or in a big ziplock (or tupperware container) and its great for travel/vacations
YUM!! popcorn::

jstbcuz
07-08-2006, 08:37 AM
How about Cheerio treats?

1 cup sugar
1 cup corn syrup
1 1/2 cups peanut butter
5 cups cheerios

Combine sugar and syryp in saucepan and bring to boil stirring often. Do not cook. Take off heat and add peanut butter. Stir in cheerios. Spray a 9 x 13 pan with non stick spray. Put mixture in pan and pack down firmly. Cool. Cut into squares. ENJOY!!!!

**Sometimes, I add just a touch more syrup and peanut butter for chewier treats. Or you could just do less cereal too.

daemom
07-08-2006, 09:12 AM

We like them with M&M's mixed in or melt some caramel on top! :thumbsup2

tarheelmjfan
07-08-2006, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the great suggestions. :) They all sound yummy.

If we were going to WDW, I'd make the rice krispie treats in the shape of a Mickey icon & put some of the Magic Shell chocolate on them. They'd be just as good & much cheaper than you can get in the parks. :thumbsup2 I can still make them for UO. I'll probably just do boring squares though. ;)

The strawberry shortcake will be a great dessert for home. I may make that this weekend. :sunny: I like to make low fat desserts for home.

Cream cheese brownies are my fav. bakery item. I am so making those. :teeth:

Shelly F - Ohio
07-10-2006, 07:21 PM
Chex mix comes in so many varieties. Just be sure to pack a zip lock bag to put them in once they are opened to keep them fresh.

kritter
07-10-2006, 08:50 PM
ooh I love these ideas and perfect treats for the beach!!!!!

barbmouse
07-11-2006, 05:58 PM
We like to make our own trail mix:

M&Ms
peanuts
raisins
almonds when the kids were little I always included cherrios

Add whatever your family likes!!