PDA

View Full Version : USC&I YHZ questions and musings...

mbb
07-07-2006, 03:36 PM
Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated...

I'm *thinking* that when YHZ starts pre-clearance for US bound passengers, that AC/United/Continental/Delta may start with more non-stops to the US....??

And that *maybe" - if I were in charge of marketing, I might have a really, really, really, big seat sale to promote that....??

Age-old question coming up;) Should we book stuff, or wait??

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

I wonder what this will do to those schedules...

I doubt that if I booked the YHZ-YYZ/YUL/YOW-MCO sched, that they would let me change the routing if they did end up with more direct flights.

Why not just book Canjet, you ask??

Because 2 years ago, we were tempted to do just that. Cheaper flight, direct, easy, done...

Except we didn't.

And am I ever glad we didn't.
Our travel weekend was that *huge* snowstorm that locked everything down for 3 days, and AC just bumped us onto another flight on Saturday, instead of Sunday.

Ask me how many Canjet pax were at the airport, full refunds in hand - yes- but trying to get space on another flight, to no avail.

Kudos to Canjet for providing fast, easy refunds, but it wouldn't have made our travel plans easier.

Anyway...

What do you think??

:sunny:

coastgirl
07-07-2006, 08:47 PM
Ooo. An easier way out of Halifax...a girl can dream, right? I hope you're right but I don't know enough about it to offer a useful opinion. Do you know when we'll be able to pre-clear here??

SplashMom
07-07-2006, 09:56 PM
Just the pre-clearing is making me excited--a direct flight seems to good to be true! :woohoo: It certainly does make sense though. Maybe decision makers are reading these boards right now...looking for our thoughts...making important decisions about popular routes......if you're listening, reasonably priced direct flights from YHZ to MCO are in demand! :teeth: Probably won't work but anything is worth a try!!

Northstar
07-08-2006, 08:34 AM
I had already resolved that once there's preclearance, I would never, ever fly through YYZ again (are you listening, Air Canada?) Or any other Canadian airport. Who needs the hassle of dealing with your bags again mid-journey, let alone changing terminals? So even if there are no direct flights to MCO, I'll be flying through a US airport so that I can pre-clear in Halifax and not wait for baggage till I get to my final destination.

mbb
07-09-2006, 07:28 AM
Oh, I hope someone from AC is reading this!! :goodvibes

Ooo...if you are - from AC, and reading this - find my luggage!!!!!
January 23, 2005 and who's counting.

:teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

Yeah, I know, dead horse, must stop hitting it :rolleyes:
It's always good for a chuckle though;)

Anyway!

We're going to hold out a little while longer, I think.

I'll let you know if I hear something!!

B&B Mom
07-09-2006, 09:32 AM
Any idea when the pre-clearance will be available?

Northstar
07-10-2006, 12:13 AM
Hi, B&B Mom. I was the last one to ask that question on this forum and the answer then (April) was that best guess of the better-informed was October sometime. Maybe someone has more updates?

mbb
07-13-2006, 12:15 PM
Still October, maybe a little earlier:)

The announcement was made in December 2004, and then, the timeframe was 18months.

So....soon!! :goodvibes

McKiggan
08-03-2006, 08:25 AM
Halifax papers reported today that US customs pre-clearance at YHZ is to start in Oct.

Northstar
08-03-2006, 11:24 PM
Halifax papers reported today that US customs pre-clearance at YHZ is to start in Oct.

Anybody know where it's going to be? In departures, after the first security clearance maybe?

I swear, I was all over the airport site again today (www.hiaa.ca) and no reference to preclearance anywhere.

McKiggan
08-04-2006, 08:41 AM
From the article I referenced above:

"The facility, about 60,000 square feet and nearing completion, is being built on the north side of the airport, near the international and domestic arrivals areas.

Those travelling directly from Halifax to the U.S. will head straight up an escalator on the airport’s north side to the second floor, where the new bright, modern preclearance facility is located."

Northstar
08-05-2006, 06:12 AM
Thanks!

I've just booked for December flying Continental through Newark :banana: .Disney here we come!

Wonder if it will still be a "bright, modern" facility by then. But who cares really, as long as it's done and one hurdle out of the way before we get on the plane.

Tinkershelly
08-10-2006, 03:47 PM
I emailed someone at the HIAA about this very issue and was told that the pre-clearance was to begin Oct.1. I am personally hoping for it to open a few days earlier since we are leaving Sept. 28 for a 10 day holiday to WDW. I have booked with Continental through Newark and I'm a bit nervous with all this enhanced security. With pre-clearance we would be flying domestic, which means we wouldn't have to pass through security in Newark, just the once in Halifax. With the enhanced security they are recommending being at the airport 3 hours before the flight for screening, but our connection is only a little more than 2 hours. And we were planning on eating during the connection time.

I've only travelled to WDW through US connections and haven't had any problems, but direct would be so much more civilized.