PDA

View Full Version : Ack! The credit card company lost our payment!

Chicago526
07-07-2006, 10:56 AM
Well, they lost it because of my goof up. But they are being totally unhelpfull in getting this fixed.

DH and I got married last fall and he has just turned over paying all his bills to me, since he can't manage to pay them on time (long story). I pay almost everything via my bank's online bill pay. He has a credit card through a local bank in PA (his home town), so we aren't talking about an account with biggies like Chase, Bank of America, or Citibank.

Anyway, when I set up the account info on my banks website so I could start paying online, I switched the very last two numbers of his account. Even though I double checked, I still missed it. So the payment went out with the wrong account number on it.

We discovered this just yesterday, so DH calls the CC company to explain. Being we were talking to a call center in India (we think) they didn't understand what online bill payment was and DH spent 20 minutes trying to explain it. Eventually we think he understood, and he basicly said that if we paid the wrong account, tough luck, we were out the money! Then he said they'd "look into it" and send us a letter and let us know what, if anything, they were willing to do about it.

I've got a call in to my bank, the one that sent the payment. They said they use a thrid party company to actually process and send out payments on their behalf and that I'll have to talk to them, and that they would call me. That was yesterday afternoon and I haven't heard anything yet. If I don't get a call by lunch, I'll call the bank and see if I can contact them. This is a $500 payment, I really don't want to be out that kind of money. Yes, it was my mistake, but there has got to be a way to reverse it and re-send the money properly.

Has anyone had a problem like this, and how did you resolve it?

ameraumi
07-07-2006, 11:51 AM
I would call the CC company back and if you get the call center again ask to be transfered to the US. Most will do that for you, and if not then ask to speak to someone who you can understand.

msmayor
07-07-2006, 12:00 PM
In reality, its not the credit card company's responsibility at all to be as helpful as you think. They did exactly what they were instructed to do via your on-line bill payment service...applied a payment to the account they were told to. Without proper authorization from the service, they really have no authority whatsoever to 'reverse' that payment only on your word.

Don't rely on phone calls to get this resolved. Get the address and phone number of the third-party company the bank uses and YOU contact them...don't sit and wait for the bank.

Expect that its going to take some time to unravel.

luvthatdisney
07-07-2006, 12:01 PM
You noted that the cc was at a local bank. Can you not just go down there and explain the problem? However, the payment is late regardless of the reason. Since it was your mistake I cannot see the cc waiving a late fee and they may even raise your interest rate due to the late payment. Maybe if you have another $500 lying around that you could use to pay the cc today (go down to that bank) they may be willing to work with you. You could then put the money back when the processing center returns your erroneous payment.

You need to contact the payment processing center to get your money back ASAP as well.

Chicago526
07-07-2006, 12:12 PM
In reality, its not the credit card company's responsibility at all to be as helpful as you think. They did exactly what they were instructed to do via your on-line bill payment service...applied a payment to the account they were told to. Without proper authorization from the service, they really have no authority whatsoever to 'reverse' that payment only on your word.

Don't rely on phone calls to get this resolved. Get the address and phone number of the third-party company the bank uses and YOU contact them...don't sit and wait for the bank.

Expect that its going to take some time to unravel.

I wasn't expecting that they reverse it on our word (it would be scary if they did!) but they gave us no instruction on how to get it fixed, such as what proof or information they would need and where we could send it, things like that. And I'm not looking for instant resolution (although it would be nice! :) ) but they aren't working with us at all. That's my issue with them, they just don't care. Sure it's our mistake, I take full responsibilty for my typo. But a good company will work with their customers and not just say "Oh well, tough luck".

I was waiting for the call from the third party company per my bank's instructions. I've since called my bank and they will get a hold of them for me. My bank has been wonderful, by the way!

Another poster suggest we go down to DH's bank and talke with them. We can't go to DH's bank, they are in PA and we live in IL (sorry, I didn't make that clear!). DH never switched banks when he moved here since he can do everything online. If he needs a check cashed he either has me do it at my bank (here in IL) or he mails it to his mother in PA and has her do it (cashing a check is so rare that it isn't worth him switching, at least that's what he says and it's his account, who am I to argue!). If after today we haven't made any more progress in figuring out what we need to do, I'll have DH call the local branch on Monday and see if they can help.

ETA: And yes, we're making the minimum payment the on their website as we speak. I didn't pay them through their website to begin with because they charge $7 for the privilage (another reason not to like them). Once we get this resolve and get our $500 back, we'll resend it (properly this time!). Oh, as for the late fee, I am going to ask that they waive it, you never know, they could say yes! But if they say no, I won't push it, it was my mistake afterall!

mickeyfan2
07-07-2006, 12:21 PM
I am not sure how you are out the $500. That was somebody else's account. I would make my payment now and hope that they do not add on fees.

ETA: It was not the wrong bank account number but the wrong CC number so you did pay the $500. Now I understand.

kilee
07-07-2006, 12:25 PM
I hope it all works out, I know it can be frustrating. Good luck. :sunny:

msmayor
07-07-2006, 04:50 PM
I wasn't expecting that they reverse it on our word (it would be scary if they did!) but they gave us no instruction on how to get it fixed, such as what proof or information they would need and where we could send it, things like that. And I'm not looking for instant resolution (although it would be nice! :) ) but they aren't working with us at all. That's my issue with them, they just don't care. Sure it's our mistake, I take full responsibilty for my typo. But a good company will work with their customers and not just say "Oh well, tough luck".

In this case though, you used a third-party to make the payment for you and therefore must use the third party to get the correction done. The CC company WILL fix it, once they receive instructions from the original paying agency. The third-party should know what is needed, and the third party should send it in...it can't be the first time something like this has happened.

You've notified the CC company that there was a problem. The won't (and shouldn't) confirm that the payment went to the wrong account (privacy issues), but should make a notation of the issue in your file that you are working to resolve it. In reality, that is all they can do.

As I said, your third-party payment agency should know what needs to be done, and they should be your primary contact at this point to get things resolved.

Chicago526
07-07-2006, 05:07 PM
In this case though, you used a third-party to make the payment for you and therefore must use the third party to get the correction done. The CC company WILL fix it, once they receive instructions from the original paying agency. The third-party should know what is needed, and the third party should send it in...it can't be the first time something like this has happened.

You've notified the CC company that there was a problem. The won't (and shouldn't) confirm that the payment went to the wrong account (privacy issues), but should make a notation of the issue in your file that you are working to resolve it. In reality, that is all they can do.

As I said, your third-party payment agency should know what needs to be done, and they should be your primary contact at this point to get things resolved.

I had no idea about the thrid party until my bank told me, I thought they actually sent the payments out. I use my banks online system, so I had no reason to think that any one else was involved. The third party, it turns out (I've talked to my bank some more today, again they've been super helpful) won't talk to me at all. They will only talk to my bank and the credit card company (DH's bank) about this, and MY bank will keep on top of it and make sure that everything is followed through with.

My frustration was with the way DH's company handled the call. All we wanted to know is "What do we do? What do you need?" and all they said was "We don't know, tough luck". I wasn't expecting instant resolution, I figured they'd say "We need this info from your bank, faxed to this number and/or mailed to this address and once we have it, we'll work on it." or at the very least "You need to contact YOUR bank and they'll handle it because we can't/won't". Their answer was basicly "We don't care if we have your money and it's floating around somewhere, either in a void or in someone elses account, we will do nothing to correct it, you're out the money".

But hey, if they don't want to work with us, fine. I'll let my bank and the third party handle it. But if they had just told us that, instead of brushing us off, I wouldn't be upset. They clearly aren't interested in any type of customer service, and we'll just take our buisness elsewhere. My DH has a card in his name on one of my accounts, he can just use that and my card, the few times I've had to contact them for anything, has always been helpful.