PDA

View Full Version : Will you pay 600.00 to 700.00 on a PS3?

mrsmiller
07-07-2006, 08:24 AM
For kids that will be 7 and 9 by christmas?

I ask my boys to give me an idea of what they want Santa to bring them this Christmas(they still believe in Santa) well among other things they want a PlayStation 3 which is not even in the market yet and I read in a magazine that the starting price on this console is 600.00/700.00 plus the games :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :eek: to me thats wayyyyy to much!
They did excellent in school , I normally do not buy toys for them thru out the year only for christmas, usually my budget for christmas is around 1,500
for both boys in toys.
Like I said before they still believe in Santa and They are not concern about prices when I told my littleone his response was "Don't worry mommy Santa has all the money in the world to buy toys!"..... :sad2: I feel like telling them the "truth" but my mother said to let them be "innocent"; still 700.00 just for a console is too much...

Linnette

mjbaby
07-07-2006, 08:28 AM
There is not a force on this earth that would get me to pay any amount of money for a game system.

*However* if this is something that you would like to do for your boys I say go for it. I may not get it, but it's not my life to get, you know? Anyway, maybe Santa can leave them "seed money" and a note explaining that it should cover half the cost and mom can buy the system when they've earned the rest through household helps and odd jobs? After all, Santa's brokerage account has ups and downs just like the rest of ours - and, what with population growth, there's tons more kids in the world today.

You don't have to give up Santa to have the gift make some level of rational sense to your boys. I think you're a sweet mom to think of this.

roliepolieoliefan
07-07-2006, 08:35 AM
Unfortunately yes!

DS (8) has been looking forward to it since the new X-Box came out last year. I know its alot of money and no we're not rich but he's basically a good kid with straight A's in school.

He already knows that thats the only thing Santa will bring him, if he does get it, and he's OK with that.

T. Lynn
07-07-2006, 08:43 AM
For me, I wouldn't. The next year there would be a newer one out anyway and they'd ask for that. Whatever is new and what everyone else had.

I think it's too expensive but JMO. I could barely bring myself to buy a new laptop for $1,000 and my other one was 7 years old and I needed a new one for work purposes.

PS - We also told DD that we help Santa pay for her gifts (so she knows she just can't think the sky is the limit). Santa has too many children to buy for on his own.

Gillian
07-07-2006, 08:43 AM
It wouldn't fit my budget, but seems to fit yours, so why not? It is a lot, but will they use it for a long time and get as much out of it as $600 worth of other gifts?

Maybe it won't really be that much.

Can't help on the Santa thing. It's very sweet though. My 5 year old already "learned" in kindergarten that he's not real (although I won't confirm) but he promises not to tell his little sister.

disneysnowflake
07-07-2006, 08:47 AM
I wouldn't.
My boys are 16 and 12. I know my oldest would love a PS3, but I won't shell out that much.
Then you'd have to buy the memory card, right?
And then have to purchase a game in order to do anything with the system.
And another controller if 2 people want to play.

I think $600 is way too much for a video game system.

If DS wanted it I'd be glad to give him Christmas money. Then he could save up the rest for the overpriced game system.

roliepolieoliefan
07-07-2006, 08:48 AM
For me, I wouldn't. The next year there would be a newer one out anyway and they'd ask for that. Whatever is new and what everyone else had.

I think it's too expensive but JMO. I could barely bring myself to buy a new laptop for $1,000 and my other one was 7 years old and I needed a new one for work purposes.

PS - We also told DD that we help Santa pay for her gifts (so she knows she just can't think the sky is the limit). Santa has too many children to buy for on his own.
Game stations don't come out new every year or no I wouldn't pay $700.00 for one. They aren't like computers. DS has a Playstation 2 for almost 4 years now and I know it was out before we bought it for him.

The games he has for his Playstation 2 can also be played on the Playstation 3 so thats good also.

njcarita
07-07-2006, 08:48 AM
I wouldn't
but thanks for the heads up--
I'll be prepared for my husbands speech and how great it would be to get the "kids" one(meaning Him) and how we could all play together--( promoting family time).

Before I broke down an brought my husband a ps2 for our wedding anniverday gift-- I new more about its features and benefits than Sony did :rotfl:

lost*in*cyberspace
07-07-2006, 08:51 AM
The starting price of a PS3 for the 20GB Version will be $499, not $600-700.

It is scheduled for release in November. I suggest that if you are really serious about getting one, that you visit your local gaming store and sign up on their waiting list. Your biggest problem is going to be finding one of these at the retail price, as they are sure to be scarce when they are first released. You don't want to end up paying $1,000+ for one on eBay.

nuzmom
07-07-2006, 09:03 AM
We would NEVER do it, but that's up to you. We do have a gamecube and game boys (DS10 and DS5), but that's it. No xbox or playstation.

Actually, my DH and I aren't totally "sold" on the whole gaming "thing" anyway. For some kids, it seems to become their whole life. In our house - July and August are "gamecube/gameboy" free months. But, that's a whole different thread.

As far as Santa is concerned, I think it's healthy to realize that it's not "fair" to other kids to ask Santa for such an elaborate gift. I mean, he does have to give to a LOT of children. I like the idea from another poster - maybe santa can give them gift certificates to toys r us or something like that and that they will need to earn the rest.

I think your "gut feeling" that $600/$700 is way too much to spend on a console is totally correct. I'd focus on ways for them to EARN the money for it - (we feel that doing their best in school should be expected).

No flames please - I'm not judging anyone else's decision to buy or not buy - the OP asked if we would spend the money and I'm just stating what MY family would do. You can do whatever is right for your family.

tmt martins
07-07-2006, 09:23 AM
No after the last year of this system is not what i want and I need this game for this .

We are no longer buying systems If DD wants money to go with then she can have that.

Yesterday she Traded her barely used X-Box with a bunch of games and some old games from her PSP she doesn't use for a PS2 and the 2 Kingdom of hearts games.

She plays with Her DS most of the time ( I taking over her PSP as I paid for 1/2 of that HAHAHA) .Her SP is her bathroom backup and her Vidio now never gets used at all.

I'm just as bad with my Phones so I really can't blame her but I don't have to help matters either.

As for X-mas shes going to WDW for her main present this year (her choice also PAP's)
and if School calender in in her favor Her B-day in Oct will be spent in the world again this year as well.

If they are making these systems more and more like just a computer for games then the $500 - 800 is not that bad and Sony is better for backwards play ( PS1 games play in PS2) .

I also don't mind her playing the games as she picks games that require thought ,math and lots of reading for problem solving. Her 2 books she bought for KH are bigger then most of her school text books.

momm2four
07-07-2006, 09:26 AM
No, the most I would pay for a game system would be around $150 or so.

I'm another who tells my boys that Santa collects and distributes the gift after Mom and Dad and Santa have discussed it, b/c we (the parents) have to pay for the gifts.

If you normally spend that much on them anyway, I would say go for it, since I'd rather spend the money on something I know they'd use instead of $1500 worth of other toys that might get forgotten the day after Christmas.

Lori P. :)

gopack
07-07-2006, 09:26 AM
Since the system is well within your toy budget I think you should get it. The PS3 is something they will probably play with for years. You received some great advice about getting on a waiting list ASAP. I think your 9 year old is a great actor! I think it is very sweet that he tells you he still believes in Santa. Good luck in getting the system for your boys!

3princesses+aprince
07-07-2006, 09:52 AM
My ds is almost 10, so he is really into the games, he has a ps2, and we caved and bought him psp for christmas for 250.00, . I know these video games are nuts!! Well it does seem to fit your budget, if you spend 1500. between the two, if it fits go for it. Do you have ps2? If you don't you'll have to get a couple of games for the ps3 too. And then they'll still be some money left to buy them each a few little things.

I wouldn't worry about Santa either I always tell my kids, he does his best, and you can't ALWAYS get what you want. They totally agree, because they are very unselfish kids. Ds(9and half) still believes in him alittle. He's not sure!
Boy i'm glad we did buy the psp or i'm sure my sweet little ds would be asking for a ps3. we have 4 kids to split the budget between, he would not be getting one this year.

mrsmiller
07-07-2006, 09:59 AM
lost*in*cyber*space: Where are they going to have the ps3 for 499.00? Which gaming store can I call or go to?

We get a magazine call PSP and in an article in the july issue they said... " Sony will be launching their PS3 for about 600.00 and another 100 for the extras, one concern they stated is they expect Sony to take a lost in the market and because of the price they do not think people will get out of their way like they did with the 360.A price drop won't happen soon and that they will offer a premium package of 700.00+ for a PS3 and one game Sony expect to sell to the last unit at launch..."

I thought that because of the price this will not be a Hot Item for christmas but now I do not know

Linnette

juligrl
07-07-2006, 10:31 AM
I wouldn't shuck out any amount of money for any video game system. If my girls wanted $300-$600 worth of dance classes or something though, I'd be more likely to pay that. It's just where you put your priorities. I can't justify allowing my girls to sit in front of the tv for extended periods, but if it was for something physical then I'd be more okay with spending the larger amount.

That said though, if you can afford it and your boys wiil use it, then why not get it. When do they plan on launching it? Is there any chance you could get one second hand? Sorry, I don't know much about video game systems.

dturner
07-07-2006, 10:41 AM
I talked to the manager at Gamestop last weekend about the PS3. There are two versions like the XBOX 360, one is $499.00 and the other is $599.00.

I asked about pre-sale and he said pre-sale will start in October, the system is suppose to be out on November 17th.

It's crazy but I'll probably get the PS3 for DS(10) as he's a serious gamer who wants to actually make games/work in the video game industry when he grows up.

I was all set to get the XBOX 360 last year until I found out that the A LOT of the old XBOX games wouldn't play on the new system so we traded in the old XBOX and about 15 games for Gamestop store credit - no more XBOX in our house.

sk!mom
07-07-2006, 10:41 AM
No, I would not. I'm pretty anti video games after enduring the struggle with a teenager who neglected other things to play video games. I also only spend about $1000 to 1500 total on Christmas for everyone on my list so I can't imagine spending that much on toys for only two children.

Having said all of that though, if you normally spend that much and your boys would be happy to recieve that and very little else then I say go ahead. I think that it would be a mistake to buy that in addition to your normal budget- don't want them to become greedy and rotten.

As far as Santa goes, when my children were small we made it clear that Santa only brought things that we approved of and "Santa has lots of gifts to get so he does not approve of greedy children."

Julia M
07-07-2006, 10:45 AM
I wouldn't pay the money for a gaming system that is that expensive. We did get a Nintendo Gamecube a number of years ago, and that's what the kids play. They've never asked for another kind.

I am with another poster that it's not actually the cost, but rather the cost of a gaming system. I wouldn't pay that much for a game system, because I don't want my kids on it too much anyway. I would (and do) pay that much and more for kids activities, such as baton for dd (huge, huge expense), baseball (and this summer, a baseball travel team for ds, age 14), music lessons and so on.

Please note, that's not meant as a slam at all towards the OP; families need to determine what priorities are to them, and what they want to do. I just wouldn't choose to.

Bella the Ball 360
07-07-2006, 10:46 AM

I agree. Do your kids have another PS3? You could tell them that Santa needs to get one for all the kids and since they have one already they need to ask for something else. I hate those type of games. My kids had a Nintendo and I think a Game Cube. I did not encourge them when it came to using them and you could also say that Santa thinks you need some diversity in their lives.

TEK224
07-07-2006, 10:56 AM
I don't have kids, but I like to play video games myself. I have a PS1, but unfortunately it broke. I thought about getting a PS3, but just can't see paying that much money. I like to play, but I'm not on it every day.

I was thinking of just getting a PS2. They're only $200 now and the games I have from the PS1 will work on it.

Shoot, I could spend that $600 for the game system on another trip to WDW instead! :goodvibes

Ticket Man
07-07-2006, 11:04 AM
The $500 system will be like the 360 Core, really not worth it. If you want a substantial hard drive so you don't need expensive and annoying memory cards then they will need the $600 system. Add an extra controller, two games, and taxes and you will be well over $800.

The X Box 360 is a better deal and you may see a price break in that one before the PS3 is released.

tarheelmjfan
07-07-2006, 11:10 AM
If my child still truly believed in Santa, I'd pay $3,000 for one if that was what he asked for & believed Santa would find a way to bring it. How many of us have searched the globe for that one silly, useless toy, because Santa can find it, right? We've been in line at 3am, just for an opportunity to be the lucky one that gets a chance to give the store our money. :rolleyes: That's what "Santa ;) " does. Now that my DS only says he believes for my benefit & I know that, I will discuss his choices with him & explain why maybe a particular item isn't possible or practical. I will still make every effort to get him what he asks Santa for, & cut back elsewhere. Kids are only kids for a very short time. They'll have the rest of their adult lives to do without, so their kids can get the exorbitant gift they asked Santa for. :p BTW, since none of us have perfected the art of parenting, I don't think it's our place to decide how someone's elses child spends their free time. My DS hasn't played video games in years, but I don't think there's anything wrong with doing so. I'm sure many of yesterday's computer geeks, who are today's billionaires, probably spent their fair share of time sitting around doing what many consider nothing. It doesn't seem to have hurt them any. :teeth:

cvs2kids
07-07-2006, 11:22 AM
I think that's ridiculous.

Remember, there's a lot of bells and whistles for the PS3 that won't mean much to youg kids (wireless controllers, bluetoth technology, Dolby sound, etc).

If you need to ask yourself if you should spend it, you shouldn't. ;)

TOTMGMWDW
07-07-2006, 11:30 AM
I too, think it's a little high priced but we do plan on getting one after it has been out for a while. We put our gaming systems on our main TV which means our family can use all the "extra" features that it has...like the recorder, somewhat like Tivo I think so if mine wanted that for Christmas, I'd say might as well, they are only little once.

DawnM
07-07-2006, 01:32 PM
Don't you have to buy games too?

Dawn

Unfortunately yes!

DS (8) has been looking forward to it since the new X-Box came out last year. I know its alot of money and no we're not rich but he's basically a good kid with straight A's in school.

He already knows that thats the only thing Santa will bring him, if he does get it, and he's OK with that.

DawnM
07-07-2006, 01:34 PM
Nope, our PS2 works just fine.

We spent over $500 on a PS2, accessories and games a few years back. We have bought PS2 games for gifts, but the PS2 works just fine!

Dawn

chicagodisneyfan
07-07-2006, 01:40 PM
I wouldn;t do it . . . but my husband will. He is already salivating about it. And since we have separate mad money accounts, he can do whatever he wants with it.

We will probably have limited conversation the first couple weeks it comes out!

lindakmonty
07-07-2006, 01:45 PM
no way!!! I'm so glad ds is only 5!!!

T. Lynn
07-07-2006, 01:54 PM
When my DD was 4, she wanted a hand held game boy and since her cousin had one, then that made it all the better.

I ended up showing her the Leapster, which is more educational and just as fun. After I talked to her about playing games that were more educational, she wanted one of those instead. She takes it everywhere and her teacher was so impressed with all the things she learned. She knew all her alphabet sounds, most uppercase and lower case letters, etc. These were things that wouldn't even have been tought in nursery school till the FOLLOWING year.

Again, to me, I'd rather have something fun but more educational and I also don't go all out for Xmas either. She gets 3 reasonable presents from Santa and 1 or 2 from mommy & daddy. Anything real expensive (haven't been at that stage yet) can be for birthday and we'll chip in and she'll have to save for it as well.

Her birthday is the following month anyway so gifts tend to get way out of hand from my family. Her playroom looks like Toys R Us but she keeps it need and tidy and periodly gives things to her baby sitter for others to enjoy when she's done with them...

disneymomto5
07-07-2006, 02:15 PM
My kids want this for Christmas too, but I doubt they're going to get it. First I don't think I would even be able to get one if I wanted since they'll come out in November, and second I don't spend that much on them for Christmas so there's no way it's happening in our family. However, I've been told it's a wonderful toy, more powerful than a computer so if you can get one and it's in your budget I would say go for it! They're lucky boys!

cnj
07-07-2006, 02:30 PM
My husband and I are getting one when it comes out. If you get one, get the $599 version, it comes with built in ethernet, larger harddrive and extras that just make it worth it. If purchased separately, it would be way more than the extra $100. By the way, PS2s are $130 now. As a family, we love video games. We don't play inappropriate ones with the kids and the children love the beautiful fantasy worlds that we get to explore together. If they want a new video game system that is also supposed to be great and coming out in November, the WII by Nintendo is a lot cheaper and will have Zelda for it, which is appropriate for their age group.

Jen

roliepolieoliefan
07-07-2006, 02:30 PM
Don't you have to buy games too?

Dawn
DS's PS2 games will work on the PS3 also. Thats whats good about Playstation and why we decided to go with that gaming system vs the other 2.

We will buy the system and maybe 1 or 2 games. Then DS will use his own money or grandparents, aunts, uncles so on will buy also.

DS just wanted the Cars PS2 game. He didn't even ask if I would buy it for him. He said, "mom can I use my money to buy the Cars game". He knows he only gets games on special occasions because they are very expensive unless he buys them himself.

mackymaddyconnorsmom
07-07-2006, 02:35 PM
My son wants it also. We are on a waiting list. We are #10.Nintendo is also coming out with a new system. It is called Nintendo WI. It will cost between 100 - 200 dollars. My son is going to buy the Nintendo with his own money

crisi
07-07-2006, 03:03 PM
We are a video game house. We have a Playstation 2 and an XBox 360. A PSP and two Gameboys. Plus three PCs (currently functional) and spend $50 a month in online subscriptions MMORPGs (masively multiplayer online role playing games - Everquest, World of Warcraft - our house is a less popular City of Heroes house). We have also bought half a dozen Gamecubes over the years (but don't own one - we give them to the Children's Hospital at Christmas).

We have this for a few reasons:

This is my husband's hobby. Pretty much his only hobby.

This is pertienent to his job. (By the way, whoever said their kid wanted to do this when they grow up - the gaming industry is very competative, high stress, long hours and very poorly paid....treat his desire like he said he wanted to be an actor. Its a nice goal, have him learn to actually program so he can get a paycheck. My husband is on the other side of the industry in retail - and even there is removed from the actual gaming side because he gets paid more on the real business end. But it did mean we had a 360 at launch).

With that, if you have a PS2 in your house, a PS3 will be a nice upgrade, when it goes down in price in a year and enough games are released to make the platform worthwhile. If you don't already have a game system in your house, make sure you buy a game system that is going to be cost effective over the long run and focus on the games you are comfortable with your kids playing. We don't use our XBox because we don't really like the type of games released for it. Those types of games we find to be more playable on our PCs (such as Oblivion) or are too violent for us. We get more use out of the Playstation 2, but not nearly as much as we get out of the PCs. The Gameboys and the PSP are the go anywhere machines - they get lots of use for the money (though the PSP was expensive - its definately my husband's toy, not my kids toy).

These things really aren't marketed to kids (the Gamecube is), they are marketed towards young adult (and now fully adult) men. Hence the price tags. Hence also a level of sex and violence in the games that may make a parent who doesn't know a little shocked. To me, the money my husband spends on gaming isn't any different than if his hobby were boats, or going to football games, snowmobiles or fishing and hunting. But you have to treat a kid's interest in this hobby the same way you'd treat a kids interest in one of those hobbies.

EnnEss
07-07-2006, 03:35 PM
Coming from someone thats played video games nearly my entire life (23/26 years) I would say don't spend that much for a ps3 for your children. The systems that are currently hitting the market are worth every penny that is being charged, the games they are offer are stunning, but they aren't designed for a 5 - 12 year old any more. These systems target the 18 - 30 year old gamers, which is why they are so much more powerful and so much more expensive.

The problem is, with all the money put into advertising for these children obviously want to have them as they are the newest greatest thing (supposedly). I'm not really sure what the solution is for you, but I'm sure the children will be fine if they don't recieve, I would find a way though to let them know ahead of time. I'm not sure if Xbox 360 is an option at a few hundred dollars less or not (still an insane amount of money). If it's not, wait one year, typically you'll see a 25 percent price decrease in that year.

EnnEss
07-07-2006, 03:37 PM
Oh, on a side note.. Xbox 360s price should drop in September or October, there's been a leaked rumor circulating for some time now.

MAH4546
07-07-2006, 04:57 PM
I wouldn't spend it.

I don't think the high price tag is that unreasonable, but the reason I would not spend it is because you can get an XBox 360 and a Wii for the price of one PS3.

The Wii, not the PS3, will be the "it" gift this Christmas, especially because the new Nintendo console will likely be priced under $250. It is not a superior system graphic-wise, but it offers more kid- and family-friendly games, a "virtual console" download service to purchase classic video games ala carte (for as little as 99 cents, iTune-style), and the most unique and radical controler to ever hit the video game market.

All parents of kids eight and older who play video games should check out the Wii, and place a desposit ASAP. It will be this holiday's hot gift, especially at the bargain price it will be sold at. Not to mention the press is raving about it.

http://wii.nintendo.com/home.html

Parents will also appreciate that Wii offers the most family and kid friendly game library. Games like Wii Sports, Mario Galaxy, Warioware, and Animal Crossing are entirely kid friendly and non-violent. And, dare I say it, Nintendo has recently been making news for it's new educational series of games, "Touch Generation", sold on the DS console.

badgermom
07-07-2006, 05:30 PM
If you spend that much anyway I say go for it. But I can't imagine spending $1500 oon a holiday that someone else gets the credit of giving them the present. Someone once gave me great advice when I started having my kids. They said don't start with extravagant holidays and you can get away with it every year. Just my opinion I think $1500 is way too much for kids that age.

snowbunny
07-07-2006, 06:47 PM
Game stations don't come out new every year or no I wouldn't pay $700.00 for one. They aren't like computers. DS has a Playstation 2 for almost 4 years now and I know it was out before we bought it for him.

The games he has for his Playstation 2 can also be played on the Playstation 3 so thats good also.

I'm in the same boat, we have a PS2 and a lot of games already....DS9 is all over me for a PS3 for Christmas. It will be at least 5-7 years before another model comes out. That is a lot of cash though. I think the cheapest is going to be $499. :(

They'd be happy with the Wii/Xbox, whatever, but I told them flat out no - we're not starting from square one with all new games.

wendyl
07-07-2006, 07:01 PM
the reason I would not spend it is because you can get an XBox 360 and a Wii for the price of one PS3.

The Wii, not the PS3, will be the "it" gift this Christmas, especially because the new Nintendo console will likely be priced under $250. It is not a superior system graphic-wise, but it offers more kid- and family-friendly games, a "virtual console" download service to purchase classic video games ala carte (for as little as 99 cents, iTune-style), and the most unique and radical controler to ever hit the video game market.

All parents of kids eight and older who play video games should check out the Wii, and place a desposit ASAP. It will be this holiday's hot gift, especially at the bargain price it will be sold at. Not to mention the press is raving about it.

http://wii.nintendo.com/home.html

Parents will also appreciate that Wii offers the most family and kid friendly game library. Games like Wii Sports, Mario Galaxy, Warioware, and Animal Crossing are entirely kid friendly and non-violent. And, dare I say it, Nintendo has recently been making news for it's new educational series of games, "Touch Generation", sold on the DS console.

I totally agree--I was about to post the same type message. Kids with the new Nintendo Wii will be using their controller like a virtual tool. When playing a baseball game--they will be standing up swinging that controller like a bat to play the game instead of the soon to be 'old fashioned' sit and stare and click the buttons method.

Just think.....you could get them the new Wii, and $300 worth of games (like tons of Mario games that have never been available to them since they have a PS2) for the same price as a PS3 that wont really do anything more for them than have better graphics (but only on the new PS3 $60 games that you'd then have to start buying---and yes, they are projected to run their PS3 games at that price). The Nintendo Wii will be a totally different kind of gaming system. I would get them that---and then they'd have the best of both worlds--a system that will play all their favorite PS2 games, and this new 'Virtual' style system that will allow them to now, also play all the great Nintendo games.

mking624
07-07-2006, 07:03 PM
We absolutely would not spend that much on a game system...I think the cost is ridiculously high to begin with.

My husband is really into gaming, but he simply waits a couple of years before he purchases a new console. We did that with PS2 and he wound up getting it for only $150. When you can get it for that low after only a couple of years, I think waiting is definitely worth it.

mommiepoppins
07-07-2006, 07:54 PM
uh no.... :crazy: :joker:

SadieDog
07-07-2006, 08:24 PM
Uhhhhh, NO.

tinker&belle
07-07-2006, 09:40 PM
Nope...they will be hard to find anyway, so if you want to get one eventually (when the price goes down,) then tell them Santa does not have enough this Christmas, but he might have one next year.

Gillian
07-07-2006, 10:30 PM
After reading this thread and doing some research, DH & I are going to put ourselves on a waiting list (or 2) for the Wii. We don't have any adult game systems at home. Our kids are a little young still (6 & 3) but it will be fun for us and not that expensive. DS will grow into it soon enough.

We may get a (refurb?) gamecube for DS's birthday in September. They're inexpensive and we can see how he does with it.

nurseypoo5
07-07-2006, 10:37 PM
No but i'll pay 300.00 for the new nintendo unit thats coming out. No need to buy new game systems, they even play your old stuff. Plus i swear my 10 yr old has had is nintendo for 5 yrs and the thing i swear is made out of concrete. Its on nonstop (his bad habit and his bad habit of nonstop play), often for days at a time, while we moved it fell down a huge flight of stares, he drops it off his bunkbed (well only 2 x's) and the think keeps chugging along. Brandnewish (cept for all the pokeman stickers)

The guys from gamestop all said they were looking forward to the new nintendo since they can once again play all there vintage games as well as the new graphics that will be coming out, and more geared toward adults/teens (until then, my son has 39 nintendo cd games for gamecube that are rated all audience cept for kingkong, i relented, its teen.)

Nolcrest
07-07-2006, 10:44 PM
I would NEVER spend that much on a gift for children so young. It'll only get worse as they get older, however it does sound like you already know what you'd like to do.

Video games and children are a pet peeve of mine - but that's a whole other soapbox to be on. :happytv:

crisi
07-08-2006, 09:24 AM
After reading this thread and doing some research, DH & I are going to put ourselves on a waiting list (or 2) for the Wii. We don't have any adult game systems at home. Our kids are a little young still (6 & 3) but it will be fun for us and not that expensive. DS will grow into it soon enough.

We may get a (refurb?) gamecube for DS's birthday in September. They're inexpensive and we can see how he does with it.

Another option is to let them start playing PC based games. Some games even crossover. I prefer PC gaming, and my PC is a lot of versitile than any game console in the house.

wendyl
07-09-2006, 04:35 PM
Video games and children are a pet peeve of mine - but that's a whole other soapbox to be on. :happytv:

As a teacher, I LOVE what many of these Video Games offer kids. Those against video games are clearly unaware of how much Problem Solving and Creativity is required for so many of them--especially games like Paper Mario and Disney's Kingdom Hearts where the solution to get you to the next level is not easy to find without really stretching your Brain power. Or games like Sim Safari where you have to learn what kind of vegetation and/or prey animals thrive on to create a safari that keeps a good mix of animals there without one species taking over, or too many others dying out, and balancing caring for the animals with business decisions. Problem Solving is a dying art--and I'm a fan of ANYTHING thing gets kids to use their brain to figure things out. When two boys can actually ENJOY sitting down and working together to try and find solutions to a problem, and using their creativity and teamwork to try and find their way out of a 'stage' of a game--how on earth can ANYONE have a pet peeve about that. And I wont even get into how much sweat we've seen pouring off the kids (or myself for that matter) as they play Mario' Dance Dance Revolution on the dance pad.

If you think it's great for kids to sit down and play chess, battleship, sorry, or other boardgames with one another, or to do Sudoku or other logic puzzles, then you should have NO complaints against Video Games that produce the same effect. I think most people against video games assume they are a substitute for other things, like playing outside, instead of understanding they aren't a substitute for anything--but an addition to the many things kids enjoy.

ducklite
07-09-2006, 04:39 PM
In re the OP. No. There are plenty of perfectly suitable gaming consoles out there. That's just an outrageous amount of money unless it vacuums and does laundry too.

Anne

wendyl
07-09-2006, 04:40 PM
That's just an outrageous amount of money unless it vacuums and does laundry too.

Anne

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

mking624
07-09-2006, 04:44 PM
Keep an eye out for sales. Many times you can get a brand new Gamecube for only a little bit more than a refurbished one. That's how we got ours...and it even came with an extra controller and a free game.

disneysteve
07-09-2006, 06:50 PM
I ask my boys to give me an idea of what they want Santa to bring them this Christmas(they still believe in Santa) well among other things they want a PlayStation 3 which is not even in the market yet and I read in a magazine that the starting price on this console is 600.00/700.00 plus the games

I normally do not buy toys for them thru out the year only for christmas, usually my budget for christmas is around 1,500
for both boys in toys.
I haven't read the other responses, but I don't think they would affect my opinion. There is no way I would spend that kind of money for a gift for my daughter. Heck, I wouldn't spend that much for a gift for myself and my wife.

We don't spend anywhere near $1,500 for Chanukah, probably more like $200-$300, so I'm not really coming at this from the same budget as you are. If you normally spend $1,500 for the two of them, then this item would fit in that budget since they would be sharing the PS3. $700 for the unit, another hundred or two for games and you're still left with $500-600 from your $1,500 budget. Looking at it that way, I guess it isn't unreasonable for you.

mrsmiller
07-09-2006, 08:12 PM
I do a christmas club every year and thus the amount that I have to buy my two boys their gifts. Part of the things they get for christmas beside toys are clothes, books, learning games for the computer. I try to get each and every toy or item they write in their santa letter,so if I get them the system I will have to cut on maybe books or something else and I do not want to do that. I am debating still on what to do. I will hate for them to be disapointed when they wake up on Christmast day. :sad2:

BTW : I myself believed in Santa until I was 12yrs.

Linnette

mking624
07-09-2006, 08:22 PM
Umm...wow. That's all I can say. :sad2:

FayeW
07-09-2006, 11:34 PM
"Want" does not = "need"!

Honestly, it seems like some of you guys are afraid to tell your kids "NO"!

I have 2 children; an 11 yr old daughter, and a 9 yr old son. I can tell you that even when they both believed in Santa, there were many, many years that particular requests were denied. They always knew well in advance if Daddy & I did not approve, and that Santa would not bring toys we didn't agree with. We set a limit of $1000 for ALL of our Christmas spending, and believe me, there were always too many gifts under the tree! Now that they are getting older, the sheer volume of gifts has lessened, since the things they are now interested in are so expensive.

Also, last year, I broke with the tradition of the "big" gift coming from Santa. I decided that since we were paying for it, we should get the glory!

OP, you could tell your children that they can't put the PS3 of Santa's list, but that you and your husband will give them 1/2 of the money required as your gift to them, and they can each put in the remaining 25%. We did that when ours wanted an airhockey table (that we knew they would lose interest in). We paid for 1/2 for they had to put in the rest from birthday money.

patsal
07-10-2006, 08:43 AM
It's a gaming system, there is no way I will pay that kind of money for something like that. Way too expensive to give or get as a Christmas gift, or for any gift and honestly a frivolous way to spend money IMHO. Again I'd chime in with want versus need on that one as well. Though, it sounds like you spend a significant amount of money on the holiday and it wouldn't be a budget breaker for you. If they want it and you don't care about the cost then get it for them, I'm sure you wont be the only one buying it for their children. We spend about $300 per child now, when they were younger it was easier to get less, but now with clothing as expensive as it is, and things like musical instraments costing so very much it isn't easy to manage without going over budget.

harleyquinn
07-10-2006, 02:28 PM
As a teacher, I LOVE what many of these Video Games offer kids. Those against video games are clearly unaware of how much Problem Solving and Creativity is required for so many of them--especially games like Paper Mario and Disney's Kingdom Hearts where the solution to get you to the next level is not easy to find without really stretching your Brain power. Or games like Sim Safari where you have to learn what kind of vegetation and/or prey animals thrive on to create a safari that keeps a good mix of animals there without one species taking over, or too many others dying out, and balancing caring for the animals with business decisions. Problem Solving is a dying art--and I'm a fan of ANYTHING thing gets kids to use their brain to figure things out. When two boys can actually ENJOY sitting down and working together to try and find solutions to a problem, and using their creativity and teamwork to try and find their way out of a 'stage' of a game--how on earth can ANYONE have a pet peeve about that. And I wont even get into how much sweat we've seen pouring off the kids (or myself for that matter) as they play Mario' Dance Dance Revolution on the dance pad.

If you think it's great for kids to sit down and play chess, battleship, sorry, or other boardgames with one another, or to do Sudoku or other logic puzzles, then you should have NO complaints against Video Games that produce the same effect. I think most people against video games assume they are a substitute for other things, like playing outside, instead of understanding they aren't a substitute for anything--but an addition to the many things kids enjoy.

AWESOME POST!!! I totally agree with you. As a children's librarian I let the kids count the reading they do while playing video games for my summer reading program. They just have to tell me what they are playing and what's going on (chances are I've played it, so I'll know if they lie).

Anyway to the OP, buy a Wii!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nintendo is actually going to blow Sony out of the water this time. Plus they are WAY more games that are actually appropraite for children of that age on the Wii.

Gillian
07-10-2006, 03:42 PM
Another option is to let them start playing PC based games. Some games even crossover. I prefer PC gaming, and my PC is a lot of versitile than any game console in the house.This is true, and we do have some pc games, but only one decent computer, and it's MINE! DS's computer is good for some of his games but not for the newer stuff.

Our computer is on my work desk and I don't really want to make it available to DS & his friends. I always have a bunch of papers around, too. DH's laptop is from work.