PDA

View Full Version : Gas going up AGAIN!!!

bamamom
07-06-2006, 03:37 PM
News say gas is going up again.....20 cents per gallon by this weekend. Just in time for our trip to the beach :beach: . Last year gas prices hit the highest right when we started to leave for WDW :moped: So I guess someone told them it was vacation time again for us so they could raise the prices again :rotfl2:

WatchinCaptKangaroo
07-06-2006, 03:57 PM
Really glad I filled up today. Then again I buy my gas at Costco and they don't go up and down with the rest of the stations.

mommiepoppins
07-06-2006, 04:14 PM
that really *!@ :furious:

Harvest02
07-06-2006, 05:06 PM
:furious: I just filled up today and it is $3.10 a gallon here! You mean to tell me it is going up even more? Guess we won't be driving too far! I am a stay at home mom so luckily I don't have to go to an outside job every day. I think the gas prices are ridiculous!!!!!

HayGan
07-06-2006, 05:14 PM
I wouldn't be surprised as alot of people are on vacation this week so prices will be going up just in time for them to head home.

sammielynn
07-06-2006, 05:24 PM
I saw when the markets closed today that the price of a barrel of oil went down??? I really can't stand much more.

CajunDixie
07-06-2006, 05:48 PM
I got gas for $2.93 then drove down the street and it was $3.08=3.09 at all the other stations. This is a huge traveling week around here with so many people vacationing because it's the week of the 4th.

jennifer293
07-06-2006, 09:58 PM
It is $2.72 a gallon here.....We leave in a little over a week so I am sure it will hit 3.00 by the time we go..THAT SUCKS!!! :guilty:

nightowlky
07-06-2006, 10:36 PM
Oil has hit $75/bbl. That's where it was after Katrina hit.

Most of the price of a barrel of oil is speculation (don't buy the hype that demand is pushing the costs up). Unrest in the Middle East and Nigeria and the threat of more hurricanes in the Gulf are all the traders need to jack the prices up more.

A lot of talk is pointing to $90/bbl oil by year's end.

yay.

kilee
07-06-2006, 10:44 PM
Thankfully I live about 5 miles from a reservation where they sell gas w/ no tax. Just a few days ago I filled up for $2.57 a gallon- noticed late today it was $2.79 gallon. It always goes up Thurs-Sun on the reservation though. Best sales are on Tuesday & Wednesday they usually drop the price $0.20-0.50 a gallon to fight each other for business.

Our trip is 3 weeks away and I'm sure I'm going to be having sticker shock when it comes to gas prices.

mking624
07-06-2006, 11:29 PM
Ours over here was $3.08 for regular when we drove by it tonight.

gianna2006
07-07-2006, 12:25 AM
I just filled up today for $3.11 (after looking around a bit) but most of the rest of the stations were running $3.25 or so. I've heard talk of the price hitting close to $4.00 by summer's end here in New York...many times I find this is just talk, but scary talk all the same. One more stong Gulf hurricane is all it would take.

munchkin bunchkin
07-07-2006, 05:34 AM
$3.25 hereand increasing by the day! :furious:

Harvest02
07-07-2006, 08:11 AM
Was watching Ron Insana on Market Watch this morning and he was talking to some analysts who said gas could get up to $90-100 a barrel!!! That would mean gas prices in the $5-6 a gallon range! I think that would really have an impact on everyone!!!! As of right now it costs me $63.00 to fill up my mini van! Insane!!!

Marie17
07-07-2006, 09:03 AM
$2.81 here - haven't check in a couple days. I will when I am out running errands today though.

lnh'smom
07-07-2006, 10:25 AM
:furious: I just filled up today and it is $3.10 a gallon here! You mean to tell me it is going up even more? Guess we won't be driving too far! I am a stay at home mom so luckily I don't have to go to an outside job every day. I think the gas prices are ridiculous!!!!!

Hoosier here too (NE part) and our gas was $2.99 on July 4 and then $3.09 July 5th. I am at SAHM too but my husband still drives across town for his job. I feel like we keep having to raise our gas budget each month. This is totally getting out of hand!!! :furious: :furious: :furious:

juligrl
07-07-2006, 10:36 AM
We hedged our bets and bought into a fund that is heavily invested in energy. f gas prices go up the fund does well so we're happy. If gas prices go down we pay less at the pump so we're happier. Either way we win!

Chicago526
07-07-2006, 11:14 AM
I've stopped looking at the price. I can't do anything about it and I need to buy gas to get to work. So I figure why worry about something I can't control!

summerrluvv
07-07-2006, 11:28 AM
It's 3.29 a gallon here and rising.

kilee
07-07-2006, 12:33 PM
I think a lot of people have to watch the prices because it affects our budgets. I know our weekly gas budget is now $100 a week for our 2 vehicles. That is if we can keep the running to a minimum. This past weekend when we had cook-outs everyday to go to-- it ran us almost $175 just for gas. You hate to not spend time w/ family because the gas costs are stopping you---it is getting out of control.

lindakmonty
07-07-2006, 12:48 PM
It is very annoying! I drive 1,000 miles a week to get to work and back... usually $100-$120 a week in gas :furious: it is ridiculous. I can't do anything about it, but I really wish they'd find a better solution. An alternate source. We were tired of paying outrageous gas bills to heat our house, so we put in a corn burner and now pay $95 a month in the winter to heat our 3k sq/ft. house to 76 deg. all winter... If I could use something other than gas, I'd change that too!!!

lnh'smom
07-07-2006, 01:03 PM
It is very annoying! I drive 1,000 miles a week to get to work and back... usually $100-$120 a week in gas :furious: it is ridiculous. I can't do anything about it, but I really wish they'd find a better solution. An alternate source. We were tired of paying outrageous gas bills to heat our house, so we put in a corn burner and now pay $95 a month in the winter to heat our 3k sq/ft. house to 76 deg. all winter... If I could use something other than gas, I'd change that too!!!

Not to be stupid, but what is a corn burner? :confused3

jstbcuz
07-07-2006, 02:46 PM
Its like a wood stove but instead of burning wood you burn corn. They also have pellot stoves.

NewJersey
07-07-2006, 02:51 PM
It's gone about about 10-15 cents here the past week. I hope it comes down following the 4th of july demand. North jersey is back up over $3, Central NJ is just under $3, and south jersey is around 2.80.

nightowlky
07-07-2006, 03:23 PM
Farewell to $60 oil; Brace yourself for $80
http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?dist=newsfinder&siteid=mktw&guid=%7B19065F21%2D1BF5%2D4C0B%2DACB8%2DADCEE6970B 3B%7D&symbol=

But what gets me is this one:

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/Story.aspx?guid=%7B7E8D58BC%2D1209%2D49B9%2DB7D0%2 DC226286488D2%7D&siteid=
"expectations that consumers are not hurting with gasoline prices at a national average near $2.93 a gallon"

Uhh...

Just because demand may be staying at the same levels as people continue to buy gas, it's because it's a NECESSITY for practically everyone in America in order to get to work, school, doctor, grocery, etc.

What this article's "expectations" completely miss is what are consumers cutting back on in order to continue putting gas in their vehicles.

Anne34
07-07-2006, 05:48 PM
I just paid $3.19 a gallon in the Chicago suburbs. I drive a suburban and it was $93.00 to fill the tank. I have been trying to condense my trips, but with kids on swim team, playing tennis and soccer practice starting again, I don't know how I can do it.

mrsbornkuntry
07-07-2006, 08:32 PM
I paid 2.87 here in WA today, the price has actually been steadily decreasing over the past two weeks, but since I heard it was supposed to go up I went ahead and filled up my mini-van today. I'm a SAHM so we bought DH a little 1989 Honda to drive to and from work so hopefully that will save us considerably, we'll save the van for family drives.

TheRatPack
07-07-2006, 08:33 PM
We have narrowed the extra curricular activities down quite a bit since Gas went up last year. My daughter doesn't take private lessons for cheer/tumbling anymore and we only go out once a week for my sons drum lesson and run errands that day as well. With me only working part time, I'm really trying to weigh the cost of gas and oil for the van against what I'm making. If it goes up too much more, I'll have to give up my part time job and start clipping coupons to make up for what little I'm making.

Angela&Kayla
07-07-2006, 10:58 PM
Oh No! We just filled up the car...$3.25 a gallon (and that is for regular). Please don't tell me it's going to go up more!!! :sad2:

Mickey&Donald
07-08-2006, 12:34 AM
Oh man, I need to fill up tomorrow! I hope the prices don't go up before I get to the station in the morning.. :(

alicenwonder99
07-08-2006, 06:51 AM
It's over $3.30 around here. This is just getting insane! :furious:

sammielynn
07-08-2006, 09:23 AM
All this makes me feel good, it is around $2.73 here. But it is so wrond to feel good about $2.73 a gallon. I had a chance at a new job at the college where I work but I would have to drive to one of our other campuses around 30 miles away and decided to pass because the gas cost would eat up the raise. :furious:

tinaluis
07-08-2006, 09:50 AM
It's $3.29 here in Chicago and it's killing us! We have a 4 cyl. car, but it's still near $40 to fill up.

KirstenB
07-08-2006, 10:33 AM
We're definitely getting pinched. DH does our bills/budget. I'm a SAHM with an 8 yr old and a 10 mth old. I don't pay a lot of attention usually to expenses, because I'm not good with details, and in general we're very frugal, so there doesn't seem to be a lot of room for change.

DH has been mentioning we need to tighten the belt. We've been trying to consolidate trips much more (town is 25 miles away). I swear, I think gas prices are affecting prices at our grocery store. Everything seems to be inching upward. We have a Civic and a Camry, so gas isn't as bad as it could be.

Yesterday's paper had the retail spending levels for last month. You know, they show about 10 different national stores like Target, JCPenney, etc. I was surprised that gas hadn't affected retail spending more. Guess most Americans still have plenty of discretionary income.

punkin
07-08-2006, 11:12 AM
It's $3.29 here in Chicago and it's killing us! We have a 4 cyl. car, but it's still near $40 to fill up.

I filled up yesterday at a cheap cash only gas station. I only had $20 in cash and that did not fill the tank of my 4 cyl. even half way.

babiesX2
07-08-2006, 12:18 PM
I haven't read this whole thread, but we are feeling the pinch at our house. We have a Dodge Grand Caravan and a '93 Toyota Corolla. We use the Toyota for our work car and the van for family outings. We are trying to make the best of it by using a BP Chase Visa that gives rewards for every $35 spent on BP gas. Yes, we have our Disney Visa and use the heck out of it (Dh needs a new one because his is cracked! :lmao: ), but 1% in rewards just doesn't always cut it. I've been very tempted to put the twin's car seats in the Toyota and make DD13 squeeze in anyway she can! :lmao: We have to buy gas so we are just trying to make the best of it by easing the pinch anyway we can.

UKVermonter
07-10-2006, 02:18 AM
Living here in England the gas prices are even higher. I pay .94 pence a litre and after you change it over to the dollar it's about $8.32 a gallon. So when we go to WDW the end of July it will be cheap to buy gas even if it's over $3 a gallon.

kydisneyfans
07-10-2006, 05:38 AM
We just arrived back home from a weeklong trip to Boston and NYC-we never paid more than 2.92 a gallon for gas, but it took a little planning. This was before our 5% cash back on the credit card.

On 7-1 $2.67 in Grayson KY (Speedway)
2.71 in Carlisle PA (Flying J)
on 7-2 2.92 in New Jersey just outside of NYC (NJ rte 4 Hess)
7-4 2.87 in Boston MA (Exxon at Montvale and 95)
7-6 2.87 in Boston
7-6 2.85 in PA (near I80 and I81)
7-6 2.71 in Youngstown OH (Speedway)
7-8 2.84 in Canton OH (Speedway)
7-9 2.82 in Georgetown KY (Speedway)

www.kentuckygasprices.com is the source-just substitute your state or city for current prices.

ducklite
07-10-2006, 06:43 AM
Funny how when we bought a Prius a year ago (which turned to 25K miles on it's one year birthday) everybody said we were crazy, we'd never recoup the extra cost.

Well, between the tax credit and the gas savings in the FIRST YEAR we're already over halfway to the break even point. We expect the break even point will happen in about 18 months, and we'll still be a good two more years away from looking to trade it in.

And it's got the same capacity and cargo space as most mid size SUV's and minivans, and more than the smaller ones--and gets 50 mpg. :cheer2:

I'm not really at all concerned about gas prices. :rolleyes1

DH who does most of the driving uses the Prius. I go back and forth to work, and run errands, most of which are right on my work route. I usually have to fill the tank every 10-14 days. My SKY only gets about 26 mpg, the L gets 36, so if I need to go anyplace outside my normal routine I take "Betsy." :thumbsup2

Anne

Boncho
07-10-2006, 08:15 AM
The other day when I filled up my car, gas here cost $1.19 a liter which is about,what, $5.36 a gallon.

mjbaby
07-10-2006, 08:29 AM
Living here in England the gas prices are even higher. I pay .94 pence a litre and after you change it over to the dollar it's about $8.32 a gallon. So when we go to WDW the end of July it will be cheap to buy gas even if it's over $3 a gallon.

Thanks for the perspective! I try to remember that even at $3+ per gallon, gas here is cheap from a global perspective.

Today the kids and I are having a "home day" - we try to do this at least once (sometimes twice) a week where we don't go anywhere and make our own fun right here at home. In the winter we don't even get out of our pajamas - it's quite cozy! Anyway, I was making a list of all the errands I need to run this wek before we leave for vacation and realized that 90% of them could wait until tomorrow when I have an appointment in a town about 10 miles from me - no need to rush out today to do them in my own town at all.

It's a nice feeling to have this "duh" moment and even nicer to know that at least one pressure on my day - thinking I needed to get the kids dressed and out the door - is gone. Saving gas in the bargain is the icing on the cake.

Golf4food
07-10-2006, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the perspective! I try to remember that even at $3+ per gallon, gas here is cheap from a global perspective.

The problem is that America builds out, not up, and so our cities are sprawling and our housing communities are mostly in the suburbs, meaning that Americans have to drive more than most people in Europe, for instance. Also, America is horribly lacking in public transportation. Very few cities in America have adequate public transit or housing nearby to places of employment.

In my city, I have to drive 16 miles one way to get to my job, my wife drives about 12 miles one way. If I were to want to take a bus, I would have to drive to a nearby mall a few miles away, take multiple connections, and still wind up many blocks from my job and have to walk down a busy street to get there, with no shelter from the 90+ degree temps, thunderstorms, etc. and it would take me forever to do so because the bus system is so slow and terrible. Subways are not an option because 1) the city is so freaking spread out, and, more importantly, 2) we'd all drown since it is Florida and the water level is just under the surface in most places.

So while it might not be such a pain to people in NY City or Chicago were mass transit is common and well developed, for the rest of the country the higher gas prices are killer.

Either America must start building housing and job sites closer together or start making better use of public transit, which of course would require the city governments to actually care enough to try to fix the terrible public transit systems, but that would require spending money that they don't have because the mayor and other city officials make six figure salaries...

mjbaby
07-10-2006, 10:40 AM
The problem is that America builds out, not up, and so our cities are sprawling and our housing communities are mostly in the suburbs, meaning that Americans have to drive more than most people in Europe, for instance. Also, America is horribly lacking in public transportation. Very few cities in America have adequate public transit or housing nearby to places of employment.

<snip>

Either America must start building housing and job sites closer together or start making better use of public transit, which of course would require the city governments to actually care enough to try to fix the terrible public transit systems, but that would require spending money that they don't have because the mayor and other city officials make six figure salaries...

Please don't misunderstand, I get the problem, it's root causes and any problems associated with solutions (although I'm not at all sure that city officials' salaries are among them). But knowing all of this doesn't devalue the sense of perspective one gains from learning that despite our recent price increases, U.S. gas prices are really quite low when viewed from a broad perspective.

As for sprawl...well, voters in this country vote time and time again against measures that would limit development, provide affordable housing in major commercial areas, develop mass transit and also consistently and in great numbers move farther and farther away from their workplaces in an effort to get "more house for the money". They may well be getting more house, but at tremendous costs in terms of gas and environment. Personal anecdote: a good friend of mine built a house in what was just recently the "exurbs" so that she could have a house twice as big as she could buying in established towns. To get her four children to and from their activities and herself to work (in the original town) she also bought a Tahoe. Now, she in bemoaning the cost of heating the big house and driving to and from the town where she works and lived in the first place. AND, her once little sub-division (on the site of a former farm) is now in the thick of development mania, with a Sams, Barnes and Noble, Target, Megamarkets and an Old Navy WITHIN SIGHT of her backyard. She's furious and takes every chance to talk about how "they" are ruining things. All I can say is, "Dude, you're part of the problem. You and all your neighbors."

The point is, everyone's got a reason why they are special and shouldn't be subject to market forces. But you know what they say, right? If everyone is special, that means no one is. Every dollar one spends is a vote for the kind of world we want to live in.

OhMari
07-10-2006, 10:40 AM

In my city, I have to drive 16 miles one way to get to my job, my wife drives about 12 miles one way. If I were to want to take a bus, I would have to drive to a nearby mall a few miles away, take multiple connections, and still wind up many blocks from my job and have to walk down a busy street to get there, with no shelter from the 90+ degree temps, thunderstorms, etc. and it would take me forever to do so because the bus system is so slow and terrible. Subways are not an option because 1) the city is so freaking spread out, and, more importantly, 2) we'd all drown since it is Florida and the water level is just under the surface in most places.

So while it might not be such a pain to people in NY City or Chicago were mass transit is common and well developed, for the rest of the country the higher gas prices are killer.

Well said.

I have a train system, that runs trains at least every 20 minutes thru my town. Not one of those trains carry passengers. Funny thing though, I saw over 40 trucks being hauled towards the north-I've never seen that before, usually I just see lumber and hazardous waste.

I agree, the U.S. farming communities and anything not related to Chicago and NY really need public transportation-there is really nothing else to use, except our vehicles.

ducklite
07-10-2006, 12:25 PM
but that would require spending money that they don't have because the mayor and other city officials make six figure salaries...

I see no problem with a city executive making a competitive wage with what an executive of a corporation would make--in most cases much less.

To recruit talent you must pay talent. IMHO one of the reasons we can't get "the best wo/man for the job" in Washington is because we pay our executives a pittance. It's actually quite embarassing how little many politicians make for the amount of responsibility they have.

(And I'll agree that there are more than a few politicians who don't deserve what they earn, but for every one of them there are three hard working people out there caring about their constituents and working their butts off for them, for far less than what their counterpart in the private sector makes in his 9-5)

Anne

PS--This is not meant as a political post, nor does it represent any political opinion or party affiliation. It is an overall generalized statement designed to point out exactly why the best and the brightest generally shun public life.

wdwfamilyinIL
07-10-2006, 01:56 PM
It has been running 3.09 here (central IL). I have also noticed increases in prices at the grocery store. Everything goes up, but paychecks stay the same....

Samandmom
07-10-2006, 06:21 PM
I live in CT and we were in NJ/PA this past weekend. On Friday night we were in Mount Holly, NJ as we were driving by gas station we watched them lowering the price to $2.89 a gallon. The place was PACKED!!! People were lined up in the street also. A little ways up there was another gas station and they were charging $3.10 a gallon and NO one there!