PDA

View Full Version : Need afordable dining suggestions for Disney World

Ccems
07-06-2006, 11:29 AM
We are going to Disney World in October. This is our first trip. Do you have any affordable dining suggestions while there? I have no idea how much to expect to spend on dining. Thanks for all the suggestions!!!

offwegotoneverland
07-06-2006, 12:14 PM
How many people will be going?

What kind of meals are you thinking about (sit down or counter service) will you be there all day or just lunch times?

Will you be staying on or off site?

swbmom
07-06-2006, 12:18 PM
We went last December under a package that included dining, and found that it was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much food!

So my suggestion, and what we plan to do this year, is split counter service meals between our two kids - they could NEVER eat a whole meal on their own! Then too, you take small snacks in with you, and eat breakfast - even if it's just pop-tarts or something from the Main Street bakery on the way out the night before! - in your room..........we found that we were so busy that we didn't even want to spend much time eating a large meal, mainly needed water/drinks/snacks through the day rather than regular, heavy meals.

So I think you can cut down on your food expenditure.

DawnM
07-06-2006, 12:24 PM
Well, first of all, where are you staying? Will you have a fridge and a microwave and a coffee maker in the room? If so,

do b-fast in your room
order double burger meals at cs places and get a .79 extra bun
split regular portioned meals
order the kids plates at cs (some of the food courts have decent kids' meals)
take granola bars and snacks into the park with you
eat lunch late so you can eat dinner off-site at a cheaper place
(or get a pizza in your room)

Dawn

paladin
07-06-2006, 12:29 PM
You might want to look through some of the menus so you can see what the prices are like.

WDW menus (http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menus.htm)

luvmykids
07-06-2006, 12:30 PM
If you are not a big eater you can purchase yourself a childrens meal from any counter service resturant. I usually buy my husband a regular meal and my children and I get kids meals. No one ever questioned how many children I had because I order from the counter and carry back to the table to eat. Portions are always big enough for me. I also bring granola bars from home for breakfast and my husband goes to the food court and brings back bagels for himself and the kids. If you have a car it is much cheaper to go to the supermarket and stock up on water bottles and juice pouches to bring in to the parks under a carriage if you have one or rent one if your children are small.

Harvest02
07-06-2006, 01:18 PM
We stayed at ASMo in June and we found the food court at the resort to be very reasonable. We usually ate a light breakfast in our room(I brought a couple of boxes of cereal in my suitcase so just had to buy a small container of milk). We came back to our room in the PM, so before we went back to the parks, we ate most of the time in the food court. There is lots of selection for everyone! We really enjoyed it! Good luck!!! :sunny:

Ccems
07-07-2006, 08:06 AM
We will be staying at the Sheraton Safari. It will be me, husband, son (4), daughter (2), sister, and brother-in-law. Thanks for all the help so far!!

brymolmom
07-07-2006, 09:10 AM
I think that means you'll have a kitchen, right?

If so - then plan for most of your meals in your own kitchen. Go to Publix and buy breakfast stuff (cereals, muffins, juice) and lunch stuff (bread, sandwich meat, fruit, drinks). Bring a soft sided cooler with you and eat breakfast in your room and bring your lunch with you to the park. You can rent a locker and leave it in there. Between drinks, snacks and lunch you can probably save at least $30 - $50 a day this way.

Then on the way back to your room - grab a pizza and eat it there. Or buy some frozen meals at Publix and throw that in when you get back.

mommy*RN
07-07-2006, 10:24 AM
A good buffet choice is the Trails End Restaurant at the Fort Wilderness Campground. We went there on a fluke last trip because the menu sounded good and it was really great! It is a pretty inexpensive option for a buffet ($16.99 an adult for dinner in '04). They had pizza, carved meats, peel and eat shrimp, fried chicken, salad bar, desserts, etc. The beverages were included in the price. I'm not sure how much kids meals are there because my DS was only 18 mo, and therefore free...but they can't be too much (I'm guessing when I say maybe $10.99). The restaurant was a bit of a pain to get to so allot yourself enough time. We drove our own car there but then we had to park in their outlot and take the resorts internal transportation...but if you have the time and want to eat a filling meal on Disney grounds this may be a good option for you.

Good luck - for breakfast we always bring or buy food to eat in our room...cold cereals, etc. I also am a big fan of the resort counter service because you can usually get what YOU want with all the choices...

Best of luck!

pooh2001
07-07-2006, 10:36 AM
Sort of a repeat .....

Breakfast in the room - always (refillable mugs - take a walk and get your coffee for free)

Lunch - sit down - do a late brunch at 10:30 am on an early entry day
or do a 1:00 pm lunch on a 9 am opening day.
Most expensive meal - try a buffet and fill up. Eat your veggies and fruit at lunch. Keep it healthy.

Dinner - resort food court. See if there is pizza your family can share.
Order one french fry to share. If your family drinks soda, coffee, tea .... get the refillable mugs and use them for every dinner.

During the day - bring your own water bottles. Moderate & Deluxe resorts have refigerators - free to use.
Bring some granola bars to keep in the backpack for hunger pangs between meals.
Our kids never needed a snack. They just kept on going on the rides and did not need more than a water squirt between. :goodvibes