PDA

View Full Version : Chef Mickey's Fun Time Buffet Review

TruBlu
07-06-2006, 08:53 AM
Our day started early at the opening of the MK. The boys loved watching the characters arrive on the train!!! We headed straight to Space Mountain to ride with only a 5 minute wait!!! DS4 and DS7 loved it so much that they rode with Dad 2 more times before we had to drag them away to make our 10:30 reservation at Chef Mickeyís Fun Time Buffet. :goodvibes

We hopped on the monorail for the short ride over to the Contemporary. We were checked in quickly and had about a 10 minute wait for our table. During the wait we had our family picture taken in front of the big plate. The picture turned out great, so we bought the package. Now I have a key chain, a magnet, two wallets, and 2 8x10's when I really only needed one picture, but the package is a great deal - right??? :confused3

We were seated straight back from the check-in counter in a small dining area up a few stairs. There were about 7 tables in our section. We had lots of room to interact with the characters. As we were being seated Chip was making the rounds in our section. The boys were thrilled! :Pinkbounc

DS7 has a Cashew Allergy so the chef came out and gave me a tour of the buffet. As she got to our table Mickey appeared in our section. She was kind enough to wait for me to take lots of pictures of the boys with Mickey before starting our tour. :)

So, armed with the knowledge of what could kill my child (really only one item with cashews - trail mix that isnít available at breakfast anyway), I headed off to the buffet...

DS4 is a bacon fiend, so his plate had 2 Mickey waffles, fruit, and lots of bacon. I really liked that they had small dishes for syrup. My boys like to dip their waffles. DS7 had the cheese omelet, biscuits and gravy, fruit, and a little bacon. Our server was wonderful. I think she refilled my juice glass every 5 minutes! As I returned to our table with food for the boys, Dale arrived. The boys had a great time teasing him about eating nuts. Dad and I took turns at the buffet for ourselves (and refills for the boys). We got some fantastic pictures with Minnie, Mickey, Chip and Dale. They each came to our table 3 times (4 for Mickey).

Now for the food...
The bacon was very good. Crisp and just a little greasy. The biscuits were fluffy and very good (and we are from the South - so we know biscuits! :thumbsup2 ). We tried all the egg offerings - our favorites were the three-cheese omelet, and the Chefís Daily Omelet which was filled with fresh vegetables. The vegetable lasagna was amazing! The Mickey waffles were also very good. We had at least 2 each - yummy. The sausage links were crisp and greasy - another yum! The fresh fruit was great (we only tried the grapes and strawberries, so Iím not sure about the melon).

The only things that we didnít really enjoy were...
The sweet pizza topped with chocolate chips. The boys didnít like this at all. I had to force DS4 to swallow the small bite he tried, and he dripped chocolate all the way down to his shoes when taking the one bite.
The Cheese Blintzes. Our waitress raved about these. Since we had never had them before, we didnít really know what to expect. Yuck. Definitely not my thing. They were flaky pastries filled with a cream cheese mixture that you cover with a runny jelly like substance. I donít know that these were bad, or if we just didnít like them.

All-in-all I would say that this was a very good breakfast buffet with FANTASTIC character interaction. The food was much better than what I expected from a buffet. Even though we were at a late sitting, everything was very fresh. The buffet was extremely clean and looked as if it had just opened. The Mickey waffles always tasted crisp, and fresh. (We had some of the first ones from a batch and the last two on a tray, and they were all very good.) There are a HUGE amount of choices. I canít imagine anyone leaving there hungry! We were so stuffed that we didnít want to eat dinner that night.

As we were leaving we stopped to take some pictures of the boys with Goofy :goofy: . One of the CMís was standing near by and offered to take a family picture for us. It was our best picture of the entire trip!!!!! Goofy posed us! He started with DS4, placed him in the front and had him lean to the right, then DS7 behind him and leaning to the left, then me right, then Dad left, and finally Goofy in the back leaning right. It is one of my all time favorite photos of our family!!!! Christmas cards here we come!!!!!

Our Rating: 7 Thumbs Up!!! (2 each for me and the boys, and 1 for Dad who hates all things breakfast)
:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

momofdbsdc
07-06-2006, 08:55 AM
We love Chef Mickey's!!! Thanks for sharing your review with us! :thumbsup2

bsmcneil
07-06-2006, 10:05 AM
were there mickey mouse pancakes?

TruBlu
07-06-2006, 10:18 AM
were there mickey mouse pancakes?
They had pancakes but they were small round ones - not mickey shaped. The waffles were mickey shaped.

PrincessTrisha
07-06-2006, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the review. I have this planned as a "graduation surprise" for my cousin whom I am bringing to WDW in October. I booked a later seating for breakfast as it is our MNSHHP day and I want to be able to sleep in. My one concern was if there would still be a good, fresh variety of foods left. You really put my mind at ease, thanks! :yay:

Minniespal
07-06-2006, 11:35 AM
Enjoyed reading your review ~ Thanx for sharing.

pperfectmom
07-06-2006, 01:47 PM
Oh.....I can't wait!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

danalee
07-06-2006, 02:43 PM
Glad to hear your review! We did dinner at Chef Mickey last trip, this trip we are trying breakfast :woohoo:
Cant wait!! :yay:

Cruz Family
07-06-2006, 04:11 PM
Great review! :thumbsup2 We are going to try Chef Mickeys for dinner on our next trip, I hope we have as good an experience as your bunch.

I do have a question though.
If you do not mind me asking how much was the photo pkg.? We bought one from HDDR on our last trip and it was way too many pics. Do they sell the pics individually, and/or in smaller pkgs.? I am trying to think of these things ahead of time so I don't make another impulsive purchase. TIA, Melissa

kabbie
07-06-2006, 06:27 PM
How was Chef Mickey's at 10:30? Was it packed? We have ADR's for 9:20 and I am hoping that most people will be at the parks. They had a 11:10 available, but I thought that was too late for us.

ilovepooh
07-06-2006, 08:54 PM
Thanks of the review. What's the earliest reservation they take?

TruBlu
07-07-2006, 08:42 AM
Great review! :thumbsup2 We are going to try Chef Mickeys for dinner on our next trip, I hope we have as good an experience as your bunch.

I do have a question though.
If you do not mind me asking how much was the photo pkg.? We bought one from HDDR on our last trip and it was way too many pics. Do they sell the pics individually, and/or in smaller pkgs.? I am trying to think of these things ahead of time so I don't make another impulsive purchase. TIA, Melissa
I am at work now and don't have my reciept with me, and my memory stopped working for some reason after I had kids!!! :crazy: But I think I remember the packages costing about the same at CM and HDDR.

I did ask at CMs about just buying one picture. The price was so close to the price of the package that we just went with the whole thing.

TruBlu
07-07-2006, 08:44 AM
How was Chef Mickey's at 10:30? Was it packed? We have ADR's for 9:20 and I am hoping that most people will be at the parks. They had a 11:10 available, but I thought that was too late for us.

When we were there all the tables were full, but it did not seem crowded at all. We never even had to wait in line at the buffet.

TruBlu
07-07-2006, 08:45 AM
Thanks of the review. What's the earliest reservation they take?
Hopefully someone else can tell you this. We didn't even ask. We wanted to have a late breakfast so we could skip lunch.

Disney owl
07-08-2006, 11:58 AM
Another good review thanks