PDA

View Full Version : How hot does it have to be for you to use your AC?

LuluLovesDisney
07-05-2006, 06:08 PM
Just curious - what is the average temp. at which you say, ok, the AC is going on.

disneysteve
07-05-2006, 06:13 PM
DW has bad allergies, so opening windows is a no-no in our house. As soon as it warms up outside, by late spring, our AC is on. We usually keep the AC on 75 when we are home during the day and 74 at nite when we're sleeping.

jeankeri
07-05-2006, 06:17 PM
I turn it on when the inside temp reaches 80, unless the air is really dry and there is a great breeze.

MELSMICE
07-05-2006, 06:21 PM
As soon as the weather starts getting warm we turn it on & leave it on right through until the cold weather. DH & one DD have allergies.

Plus, I can't see opening & closing windows continually just because it's a little cooler outside. Makes more cleaning for me because all the dust & dirt is coming through the screens. Also, we've gotten used to not hearing all the outside noise while we are sleeping.

Even if they didn't have allergies I'd just leave it on.

DiznNut
07-05-2006, 06:50 PM
72 degrees is my breaking point at work. At home it is 76degrees. Honestly, I think the thermostat at work malfunctions, because I work in an office and at 72 degrees it is unbearable, but at home that same temp is too cold. And I am like the others, I have bad allergies too and I can't have any windows up polluting my house.

disneysteve
07-05-2006, 07:05 PM
I think the thermostat at work malfunctions, because I work in an office and at 72 degrees it is unbearable, but at home that same temp is too cold.
It really depends on the structure, the insulation, the geographic exposure, etc. At my office, we keep the air on 71 or 72. When my partner is in, he lowers it to 68 because his office has a huge picture window that gets mid-day sun. Plus, his office is next to the front door, so everytime it opens a blast of hot air comes in.

At home, like I said, we are on 75 or 74. I would never put it on 71 as we'd be freezing. But we also have replaced all our windows and doors, resided the house and put in a high efficiency central air unit a few years ago.

mickeyfan2
07-05-2006, 07:18 PM
DW has bad allergies, so opening windows is a no-no in our house. As soon as it warms up outside, by late spring, our AC is on. We usually keep the AC on 75 when we are home during the day and 74 at nite when we're sleeping.
I have asthma and allergies so no open windows ever. Our air goes on in late April and stays on until mid October. DH always laughs that we only go a week between heat and air. :rotfl2: We set ours to 70 day or night.

JoiseyMom
07-05-2006, 07:18 PM

Ditto for us! DD is allergic to tree and grass and most other pollens. Spring comes, windows close, ac on. My electric company loves us :).

alliecats
07-05-2006, 07:33 PM
I have asthma and allergies so no open windows ever. Our air goes on in late April and stays on until mid October. DH always laughs that we only go a week between heat and air. :rotfl2: We set ours to 70 day or night.

What Mickeyfan said. This is one area in which I am NOT interested in saving money.

PaulaSue
07-05-2006, 07:34 PM
It is actually on all summer but only goes on when it hits over 75 in the house. DH works outside a lot during the summer so likes it cool here.

punkin
07-05-2006, 07:47 PM
I hate AC. I am sitting here. It is a balmy 83 degrees and my windows are wide open. It got up to 87 today (I think) and my windows were open all day. I will only turn it on when it hits 90 with high humidity or my DH throws a fit (whatever comes first). Even then, I never set it below 78.

daisyduck123
07-05-2006, 07:51 PM
DS8 has allergies so we never open our windows. The a.c. gets turned on in late April & gets turned off again sometime in September.

nbodyhome
07-05-2006, 07:56 PM
For myself, I'd choose around 85 or 86 degrees, I think. But my husband wants the house not to get over 80 (often 82 I'll set it to) for the sake of the computers. :)

mickeyfan2
07-05-2006, 07:58 PM
Something to consider for those how have real wood floors, cabinets and furniture is that real wood does not like to see large swings in humidity. It can cause the wood to expand and contract too quickly and crack the wood. Say you leave your windows open each night and turn the air on during the day. At night the humidity could be 80-90% and in the day with the air ~50%. This is not a good environment for real wood. Also mold can grow when the humidity is >50%. Mold is a major cause of allergies and some molds can be fatal. Our AC has a variable speed blower that is controlled by the humidity in the air. We set it at 50% and the dehumidifer in the basement is set at 40%. No mold here. In the winter humidity is normally low, so not a mold problem time.

TENIA66
07-05-2006, 08:08 PM
I KEEP THE AC ON 75 OF A DAY, 68 A NIGHT.........HUBBY BELIEVES IN SETTING THE AC BY THE CALENDAR "it's not july yet"...............i believe in using the thermostat................he also believes in setting the heat the same way, "it's not even november yet," the crazy butt buffoon...............................

videogal1
07-05-2006, 08:10 PM
Just curious - what is the average temp. at which you say, ok, the AC is going on.

When I was transferred to Central Texas in the early 80's I designed and built a passive solar home. I worked out of town for six years immediately after the house was completed and returned to Texas in 1990. I haven't used the AC or heater since my return...I doubt the system even works any more. While all my neighbors are spending fortunes on AC, I'm able to save for Disney trips...Thank goodness for the pool, though! It's HOT here!
:love:

njcarita
07-05-2006, 08:29 PM
I have mine set for 85

we spend most days hoping in and out of the pool

DawnM
07-05-2006, 08:34 PM
We bought a great house. It has lots of trees around it and was well built for insulation. This has helped us SO MUCH. We don't need A/C unless it gets above 85 and even then our house is about 10 degrees colder than outside air.

Dawn

Evil Queen
07-05-2006, 08:39 PM
Our AC basically runs year around, except maybe November, December and January (sometimes Feb.).

Stein
07-05-2006, 08:41 PM
It would have to be darn hot since we would have to borrow $2,500 to have it installed.

arminnie
07-05-2006, 09:06 PM
As soon as it warms up outside, by late spring, our AC is on. We usually keep the AC on 75 when we are home during the day and 74 at nite when we're sleeping.I'm drooling with envy disneysteve. I live with my 85 year old dad who likes to keep the thermostat at 80-84 degrees. It does keep our bills low in the summer (at least we don't have huge heating bills because of the temperate climate). I sleep with a fan blowing directly on me.

We have central heat and air and the thermostat is usually just set to automatic. I do try to get the temp down to 78 in the winter and can close off my room entirely.

polkadotladybug
07-05-2006, 09:11 PM
Well the humidity is what's awful here in South Carolina (that AND the heat - LOL) - my dh likes to keep it on 78 and gets on me if I change it. The thing is - he's at work all day in an office where they keep it so cold he wears long sleeved shirts in the summer and doesn't even turn his ac on much on the drive home at night, since he feels like he's "thawing out". Now me on the other hand - I'm a SAHM (when I'm not running around all over town! LOL) - when it's 97 degrees out - 78 doesn't feel much better inside. I turn it down and then try to remember to turn it up again before he gets in to see it - LOL - Not like he'd freak out on me - but he would say something about our electric bill being higher.......but blah blah blah - in one ear, out the other - I can't stand to sweat in my own house!

I absolutely can't stand to be hot - I'm sure part of it is that I need to lose some extra weight, and that keeps me warmer. I'd love to be skinny and freezing all the time. LOL!

pearlieq
07-05-2006, 09:59 PM
It goes on when the internal temperature gets above 72. We generally keep it at 70 or so for the entire cooling season.

We make up the money in the winter when we keep the house at 65!

MickeyMonstersMom
07-06-2006, 06:06 AM
I didn't even have A/C until I was given a window unit last year, so I don't use it much. The inside thermostat has to be pegged at 80 and the humidity high before I turn it on (it's set to 75 but I turn it on and off manually as needed) - it's much more about the humidity than the temperature.

DVC Sadie
07-06-2006, 07:21 AM
We try to keep our thermastat set at 72 degrees in the summer. It's been so hot here for so long that I swear we went straight from fall to summer. :teeth:

My husband has bad allergies so opening windows even if it was cool enough is not a viable option. I must be going through menopause because I have to have the AC set to around 68 at night so I can sleep.

Todd&Copper
07-06-2006, 07:37 AM
I hate AC. I am sitting here. It is a balmy 83 degrees and my windows are wide open. It got up to 87 today (I think) and my windows were open all day. I will only turn it on when it hits 90 with high humidity or my DH throws a fit (whatever comes first). Even then, I never set it below 78.

I do the same (down to the husband throwing a fit!), except I set it to 76 at night and 77 during the day.

patsal
07-06-2006, 07:45 AM
85 and humid with no breeze, we live by the lake so very often it cools down nicely at night, but with bedrooms on the second floor once it gets to 85 even with all the windows open it is stifling up there and no one can sleep, I'll gladly pay for AC to get a good night's sleep! I set the winter thermostat at 68 and the summer A/C at 74. I figure if everyone can wear shorts at 68 in the summmer that is good enough for the heat and I'm not turning on the A/C for the kids to put on sweatshirts!

kfeuer
07-06-2006, 07:51 AM
I also have bad allergies, so no open windows for us. 80 is usually when we turn the air on. We keep our thermostat at 78 during the summer. It's comfortable downstairs, but the heat rises and our upstairs is often hot when we go to bed. We have ceiling fans in all the bedrooms so we just deal with it. We can't afford to turn the a/c any lower in a hot Georgia summer.

hsmamato2
07-06-2006, 09:28 AM
Brrrrrr! I'm not going to visit you guys, most of you keep your houses too cold! :rotfl2:
I like feeling warmth,and summer weather.... and we don't have central air, we have 3 window units for our 3 level house, so last weekend it got to 89-90,with massive oppressive humidity,then we turned them on,even then,I set them pretty high, like 74 during the day,and 75 at night,I HATE being cold!
The main reason we turn them on is to reduce the humidity in the air, which makes it feel oppressive- DH is an a/c man for work,and he's big on humidity levels,etc-
If the kids complain about the heat(poor darlings) I offer to squirt them with a hose! :rotfl:

Free4Life11
07-06-2006, 09:37 AM
I live in a small second floor apartment. I never open the windows. I turn on the AC depending on the temperature in my apt. Right now it says 81.5 but I feel fine. I turn it off when I leave the home in the morning and usually don't turn it on until I get home at night and only if it's 85 in my apartment. I usually take a cold shower at night and don't wear a lot of clothes when I'm in the apt., but it helps that I'm single ;)

rparmfamily
07-06-2006, 09:39 AM
I live in Florida, so most of the year I don't really have a choice about the A/C, it's just ON! LOL I turn it on when I start to sweat in the house, probably around 76 degrees I guess.

snowbunny
07-06-2006, 09:57 AM
Don't ever have to worry about when to turn it on because I don't have it. There are about four days each summer here in Maine where I would be tempted if I did have it, maybe less.

spaceacewannabe
07-06-2006, 10:05 AM
No AC here! We used to have window air conditioners, but we decided they were kind of ugly and we probably didn't need them as often as we'd use them if they were in.
We keep our windows open as often as possible---well into the eighties. If it's going to get into the nineties, or humid upper eighties with no breeze, we close up in the morning when the outside temp starts to get above the inside temp. We turn on fans and close the blinds...or we go out and run errands so we're not generating more heat in the house. We had mostly upper 80's and well into the 90's last summer, with a few 100+ days, and we were just fine! And when we got to Disney in August, it didn't feel uncomfortably warm at all! In fact, after a rain storm one day, I was COLD! :rotfl2:

arminnie
07-06-2006, 11:15 AM
he's at work all day in an office where they keep it so cold he wears long sleeved shirts in the summer and doesn't even turn his ac on much on the drive home at night, since he feels like he's "thawing out". I can identify with that. Decades ago when mainframe computers had to be kept in very cold rooms, my cubicle was just across from where they were installing the new mainframes. They put in all of the a/c and I promise it was in the 50s in my office.

I would walk about side in the 102 Texas heat and my teeth would still be chattering from how cold I was. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/28/28_3_4.gif (*******************************************ZSzeb0 01_ZNxdm395YYUS)

BelleBeautyandtheBeast
07-06-2006, 11:36 AM
I have ours set somewhere around 78, 79 or 80. I do not turn it on unless it is over 82 outside. It has only been on a handful of days so far this summer.

HayGan
07-06-2006, 12:23 PM
WOW! I can't believe how low some people like their temps! We don't turn on the AC unless the house goes to 80 degrees or above. Even then, we only turn it down to 78 degrees. We run a fan in the living room and master bedroom to help circulate air (and because DH likes really cold air blowing on him :rolleyes: ) On the days when nobody is home then we set it to 83 degrees and have the AC kick on about 30 minutes before we expect to be home.

I keep the curtains/blinds closed while we are away to keep the house cooler as well.

Our average electric bill in the summer is in the typically $65 - $80 range :cool1:

shades
07-06-2006, 01:15 PM
Now I can understand why so many people have expensive electric bills after reading this post! Ours is set at 80/82 during the daytime and 78 at night. At 68-70 degrees, I'd have to wear sweats around the house because I'd FREEZE;)

tabrizia
07-06-2006, 01:47 PM
We tend to turns on when it hit the mid-80s outside, so around 80 inside. We try to keep it around 78-80 during the day when I'm the only one home, since it doesn't bother me that warm. Hubby tends to turn it down to 76 or so when he gets home because he likes it cooler, I'd love to push it down to 70 or so to sleep, but our electricity bill is already fairly high, so it tends to go up to 78ish again at bedtime. I'd prefer to keep it a bit cooler, but considering energy costs and the fact that our bill will be rising due to the end of a deregulation thing in Maryland (at least it isn't rising the ~75% it was supose to) we are trying to cut down on energy a bit.

kritter
07-06-2006, 01:52 PM
I only turn it on when the thermostat inside says 80...then we will turn it on...otherwise it is the ceiling fans...I really do not like the air on..would rather the fresh air...

bamamom
07-06-2006, 02:31 PM
As soon as it hits 75 in the house ( usually early April late March) the AC goes on and stays on until usually late Oct. We keep the AC on 70 and at night sometimes I bump it up to 73 because it get cold :cold: in the house after the sun goes down. DH would like it to be on 68 all the time. We too only have about a week break between time the AC goes off until the heat comes on. I hate our electric bill each month :guilty:

shirleyb
07-06-2006, 02:36 PM
Gasp! I don't have central air. We do have one window unit and some fans, but luckily where I live it always cools down at night so we can sleep.

Keli
07-06-2006, 10:08 PM
I grew up without a/c (actually my very stubborn parents still don't have it! In KY!) I have a pretty high tolerance for heat/humidty as do my dh and dd so we generally don't turn on the a/c unless it's above 93-95 degrees. So far this summer we've used it two days, lol.

But then I love the light and breezes from outside and it's hard for me to give that up. I hate having to close the windows. That thought alone keeps me from using a/c sometimes.

drcorey
07-06-2006, 11:10 PM
I live in Florida, so most of the year I don't really have a choice about the A/C, it's just ON! LOL I turn it on when I start to sweat in the house, probably around 76 degrees I guess.

76??
don't ever come to las vegas in the summer, it gets up to 131 here. but at night then it's a cool 110.

polkadotladybug
07-06-2006, 11:14 PM
I really think that where you live - and the humidity level - plays a big part in when you turn it on. We are 20 minutes from the Atlantic Ocean and the humidity here in Charleston, SC is pretty darn awful! For the person in Maine who turns on the a/c 4 days out of the year - I can't even imagine that! LOL But I certainly can't complain - we don't get snow here and oftentimes wear shorts when we go to purchase our live Christmas trees.....! So what we pay in extra a/c bills, we save on boots/snow clothes/and paraphernalia related to snow (shovels, blowers, salt, etc). It all evens out in the end - LOL!

arminnie
07-06-2006, 11:29 PM
Our average electric bill in the summer is in the typically $65 - $80 range :cool1:

WOW - most people I know have bills that run $400-500 a month.

My bill in New Orleans (900 sq. feet) runs $50 a month when I am not there and no a/c on.

munchkin bunchkin
07-07-2006, 04:32 AM
I usually don't turn ours on until it's at least 90 but then only if there's humidity otherwise it's ceiling fans ... What can I say I love heat! :sunny:

juligrl
07-07-2006, 09:43 AM
Humid. I can take heat, but you add humidity 90% or greater, than that AC gets flipped on quicker than a blink of an eye. If the forecasters predict a very humid day the next day, we turn ours on low the night before so we aren't fighting to get the house cool all next day.
I'm an open windows person at heart (so is my husband), so we tend to be the last ones in our neighborhood to flip on the AC. It's crazy, most of my neighbors have theirs on at 76! But then again, most of my neighbors couldn't care too much about $ either.

Belle5
07-07-2006, 10:39 AM
We keep the house at 77-78 degrees during the day and sleep with it at 75 degrees at night. Our past four electric bills have been in the $500-$600 range. We just tried unplugging our huge deep freezer to see if that would knock $50 or so off a month. We'll see...Our electric bill is killing us. I think our biggest problem is the large amount of windows we have that get afternoon sun. There are 17 windows that get afternoon sun. Ugh!

Belle5
07-07-2006, 10:43 AM
Now I can understand why so many people have expensive electric bills after reading this post! Ours is set at 80/82 during the daytime and 78 at night. At 68-70 degrees, I'd have to wear sweats around the house because I'd FREEZE;)
Your 80/82 might be the same as my 77/78. I say this because I can go into someone else's house and freeze and they tell me that they are set at 79 degrees. In my house we would suffocate at that temp.

disneysteve
07-07-2006, 11:20 AM
Your 80/82 might be the same as my 77/78. I say this because I can go into someone else's house and freeze and they tell me that they are set at 79 degrees. In my house we would suffocate at that temp.
This is very true. It depends on the power and efficiency of the AC unit, the construction and insulation of the home, how much shade there is, what type of sun exposure, etc.

In our house, our family room stays cooler than our kitchen and dining room, and the whole first floor stays cooler than the 2nd floor. So what we set the AC on partly depends on where we are spending our time. If I'm up in the computer room, I'll put the AC down a degree or two because it gets hotter in that room. If we are in the family room watching a movie, I'll turn it up a couple of degrees.

LuluLovesDisney
07-07-2006, 01:17 PM
This is very true. It depends on the power and efficiency of the AC unit, the construction and insulation of the home, how much shade there is, what type of sun exposure, etc.

In our house, our family room stays cooler than our kitchen and dining room, and the whole first floor stays cooler than the 2nd floor. So what we set the AC on partly depends on where we are spending our time. If I'm up in the computer room, I'll put the AC down a degree or two because it gets hotter in that room. If we are in the family room watching a movie, I'll turn it up a couple of degrees.

Very true, Steve. I can be comfortable in the rest of my house, but in order to enter the dining room area, I have to put on a sweatshirt and slippers. We don't have central air- we have an AC window unit in the dining room. We always leave it on low, though "low" can be set on "4" through "10". Even with it never on med or high, the dining room can get as cold as 65 degrees. We use ceiling fans and this one AC unit and it cools our entire house. I have an AC in my bedroom and I used it three nights last year, since it was cool enough from the other AC.

To tell the truth, I'm actually a little afraid of that air conditioner. :scared1: It's scary how strong it is, esp. considering it's 8 or 9 years old. I am most comfortable from 75 to 85 or even as high as 90 depending on humidity and breeziness.

Kimmumum
07-07-2006, 08:08 PM
Humid. I can take heat, but you add humidity 90% or greater, than that AC gets flipped on quicker than a blink of an eye. If the forecasters predict a very humid day the next day, we turn ours on low the night before so we aren't fighting to get the house cool all next day.
I'm an open windows person at heart (so is my husband), so we tend to be the last ones in our neighborhood to flip on the AC. It's crazy, most of my neighbors have theirs on at 76!

I agree. I don't usually turn mine on unless the humidity is really bad. :thumbsup2

kinntj
07-07-2006, 09:20 PM
I would have to say on average it's 85 degrees. We set the AC at 75 all the time with the ceiling fans helps push the air around a bit.

Open windows only happens in early spring, when I'm cleaning the house and do a good dusting. We live in a new subdivision, so houses are still going up and basements are being dug. Dust flying around outside constantly. YUCK! Better to keep those windows closed.

marcyinPA
07-07-2006, 09:45 PM
We don't have central air (old house, 1910, cast iron radiators, no ductwork) but we have window units. I put the one on in the attic almost every day. It gets very hot up here, and this is where our computer is. The other ones (in two bedrooms and the kitchen) don't go on unless it's humid. It doesn't matter the what the temp is outside. If the humidity is high, I turn on the air. I HATE humidity! We do have ceiling fans and we use those 24/7.

Angela&Kayla
07-07-2006, 09:55 PM
We like our house cold. In Wisconsin, we get really cold winters and really hot and humid summers (generally), so this strategy helps in the winter with our heating bill (we set the house at 63 - brrrr), but in the summer, we keep the house set at 68. So, I guess we never really turn *off* the ac - we just switch from heat to cool when the house feels too warm or cold.

By the way, our house is only 1 year old, so even with the air on cold during the summer, our energy bill stays well under $100 and in the winter stays around $150.

DaisyD
07-07-2006, 10:38 PM
My AC has been on since it reached 72 degrees in my house. We keep it at 68 in the summer and 70 in the winter. Even though it was beautiful here today I still keep the ac on as we get bothered by pollen.

angwill
07-08-2006, 02:33 AM
We only have a window unit which is fine with me since I really don't like AC. It has to be high 80's for several days and then go into the 90's for me to turn on the AC and then I set it around 80. I am always cold unless it is in the 90's. Now my husband is a whole other story and he is hot when it is over 70. I will be cold and he puts on the AC set at 68 and freezes me out so I go outside or wear winter clothes. Then when he falls asleep I shut the AC off. lol I wish I could get him to move south before I turn into an ice burg one of these winters. lol

CEDmom
07-08-2006, 05:21 AM
I hate a/c so ours doesn't go on unless it's really hot and/or humid out or it's raining. I hate the closed in feeling and feeling cold. However, if I'm sweating just standing in the house or our feet keep sticking on the floors it goes on. We have ceiling fans in every room and great cross ventilation so that really helps as well. My DH has allergies and so does DD but they're fine with the windows open.

Right now we've got beautiful weather so the windows are wide open.

PrincessKitty1
07-08-2006, 06:45 AM
We are in Florida and our area is extremely humid and hot from May through Septmeber. The a/c is always on during these months, otherwise everything in the house would mildew! A/C or heat are on most of the other months too, but we have a total of probably about 6 weeks out of the year (added all together) when we don't have heat or a/c on. Even when the temperature is fairly cool, we often will have to run the a/c to dehumidify.

mamalle
07-08-2006, 06:52 AM
about 80 outside with humidity. we live in south fla so its on alot. I like to keep it at 79 but at night dh likes to turn it down..

snowbunny
07-08-2006, 07:11 AM
I'm actually glad we don't have AC anymore....when we lived in Philly and had AC, my DH used to drive me crazy. How is it that in winter, he likes the heat cranked up to 79 or he's "freezing," yet in summer, if that AC wasn't set at about 68, he would say he's "boiling" ???

sameyeyam
07-09-2006, 10:33 PM
We have a heat pump, so it's set to automatically cool when it gets to 74 and heat when it gets down to 70. I don't even think about it, that's just where our thermostat is set and it keeps it in a comfortable 4 degree range.

I know they can't be used in all parts of the country, but here in the Pacific Northwest they are great and take all of the guess work out of heating/ cooling the house.

familydisney
07-09-2006, 10:42 PM
No A/C, but I Keep the hot tub at 102 degrees! We live on the flanks of Pikes Peak in Colorado. The high today was 54 degrees. I had to resist going over and turning on the furnace!

We're a little worried about the heat and humidity in Orlando in October when we go to WDW.