PDA

View Full Version : Taking SOn out of school For disney

GoofyTraci
07-01-2006, 10:51 PM
OK,OK So am I the only one who is going to take her son out of school for a week to go to disney in Sept. He will only be in 1st grade. And its at the beginning of the year. Is this bad? I have heard of others doing it but just wanted some suggestions. I'm a single mom and this is the only time I can take off from work and Since this is our first Vacation We would like to go when it's not so hot or so crouded. Please give me and opinion but be nice.

Traci

Susieab
07-01-2006, 10:59 PM
We haven't done that yet but plan to. Our kids will be in Kindergarten and 1st grade fro the 2006-2007 school year. We have reservations and plane tickets already and will miss a week of school just prior to Christmas. I haven't mentioned it to the school yet but our kids are good and don't miss much school usually so they will just have to deal with it. :cool1: Really I think as long as you make up homework, schoolwork, etc. it is not a big deal.

Good luck and have fun.

mom23boys
07-01-2006, 11:00 PM
No you are not the only one to take you DS out and you will get many different opinions here. But we took our kids in Oct a few years back. My oldest now in Middle School had a hard time getting back to his school work. We will not longer take him out of school, we will go in late August from now on.

If your DS is only in 1st grade I do not see a problem. I would just notify your school even maybe now to see if it is an excused absence or not. Some school districts have strict policies for vacations. Ours does not.

dmthoma76
07-01-2006, 11:04 PM
I thought this was my post for a moment! I am taking my son out of school the last week of September and I am REALLY nervous about it. What do you tell the school?

He is only seven in the first grade and is an excellent student I do not think it
would hurt to miss one week but oh the back lash I am facing from some of those teachers?

So what are you going to tell them? I have already put a good amount of money on a deposit and plane tickets so I have to tell them!

I keep going over it in my mind and stressing about it.

~Donna

ASMovies Sept.25 til Sept.30

Mickeygotmymoney
07-01-2006, 11:12 PM
First off this opinion is a little one sided as it comes from a former teacher.

I do completely understand the financial implications of travel and the incredible experiences that Disney provides. However, please be aware that the first few months of first grade are critical for kids to get adjusted to the school routine and process.

With those things in mind, please be up front with your child's teacher. Let them know and see if they are willing to put together work, or some books to read. Secondly, take advantage of the things you are doing at Disney. It is a great place for experiential learning. Perhaps help your child to write a journal of if he is not ready for that have him draw pictures and dictate sentances to you. This is a great keep sake and it shows the teacher your committment to his learning.

See how he does returning to school after the trip. Remember it may be hard for him to get back into the school routine. (this is normal for kids of this age). Try your best to communicate with the teacher before and after.

Hope this helps.

JESW
07-01-2006, 11:14 PM
You will get MANY different opinions on this subject so be prepared! But only YOU know what is best for your child.

I have 2 kids, dd7 & ds11. We took the oldest out of school for a week (with two half-days) up until 4th grade, but we really should have stopped at 3rd grade. Kids start middle school here in 4th grade and the transition back to school after a week off was VERY hard. DS was able to take some work with him, but he missed a lot of valuable classroom time. Some kids can make that up easily but it was tough for ds. We now go april vacation and the end of august. Those times also make it less stressful for ME as I don't always have to be on him to do his work...

On the otherhand, my dd will be going into 2nd grade and if I have the opportunity to take her in november I just might. VERY different child and in a lower grade so the time off wouldn't be as bad.

I say take your children when they are young and enjoy your time together. Far too soon they grow up...

Jill

BlindTyldak
07-01-2006, 11:21 PM
We are taking my DD6 out of school for a week in early November; work policy is I cannot be off work on any weeks that the majority of everyone else is. She will be in first grade as well, and we already told her that even though she's on vacation, she's going to have some homework and she'll have to do it. We're going to tell her teacher on the first day of school about the trip and try to split the extra workload as much in our laps as possible so she won't have to scramble a packet, and we've also arranged for a friend's daughter who is in early childhood ed in college to do some after school tutoring both before and after the trip. My daughter does just fine in school, but a vacation is enough to throw anyone out of the loop.

yearbook50
07-01-2006, 11:25 PM
My parents took me out of school for Disney for trips in May until I entered 5th grade. I never felt loss in school. I did all my extra work during the 2 hour ride down there and the ride back. I was a nerdy child though so I loved doing school work. We let the teacher know I was going to be out of town for that week.

Luv'sTink
07-01-2006, 11:37 PM
We are and have taken DS out of school for vacations. He will miss a week in November, we will tell the school the truth about where we are going. :)

Goobergal99
07-01-2006, 11:59 PM
We are taking DD out (last week of September-First week of October) :cool1: She is also a 1st grader

4chitlins
07-02-2006, 07:50 AM
I took my kids out last year the oldest is 11 now.I told the teachers that we were going. The first thing they said was don't feel bad,everybody does it. All their teachers gave us work to take with us which we did and returned when they went back.None of them had trouble settling back in. One of my twins missed no other days the whole year and the other 2 missed a few more but they all did well on their report cards so we didn't feel too bad.We are going again at the end of Sept. for 9 days but with holidays they are only going to miss 4 days of school.

duchess_tisha
07-02-2006, 08:33 AM
We have taken our DS (now 10 1/2) and our DD (now 9) out of shcool the last 2 years for the 2 days prior to Thanksgiving break. We have always let the teachers :teacher: know well in advance what our plans are so that if she can send work with them she will. Honestly, we have yet to bring work with us. Although that may have to do with the timing, they are not doing much those 2 days anyway.

This year we are taking them out for the Friday before and the Tuesday after Labor Day. Not sure if this will make a differance, but we are going for it! The way we see it, they are only going to want to hang with mom and dad for so many more years :sad2: , so we are taking advantage.

Have fun, and good luck!

torinsmom
07-02-2006, 08:35 AM
It is better to do it when they are younger vs. older. I am a teacher and 5-6 of my kindergarteners went to Disney during the school year last year. :) So did I, but we went during Spring Break, so my son only missed one additional day. The other thing I would worry about is something we have been told by admin. There is something about funding for schools, where the schools get funded based on average number of kids there for the first 45(?) days. So, if 20 kids are out for a week for Disney during that time, it could affect funding for your child's school, at least in NC. Once the first 45 days are over, that does not come into play.

I am taking my son out for one day before our long Labor Day weekend. He will be in 7th grade and I didn't want to pull him out for longer. We will be arriving at Disney on a Thursday and leaving on a Monday. I figure 4 days at Disney is better than none! :teeth:

Marsha

Kimmielee
07-02-2006, 12:03 PM
I took my son out of Kindergarten for a week right after Spring Break this year and will take him out for a week in 2nd Grade in October/November of 2007.

Our school district considers this an excused absence. We worked with his teacher in advance and kept a travel journal for him to discuss with his class when he returned.

It was an amazing trip and he gained far more during this week than he would have in the classroom.

With that said, he was doing very, very well (end of Kindergarten they want them to be at a level 4 with reading, he was a level 12) but if he had been struggling, I would have had a harder time pulling him out.

You know what is right for your child. Work closely with the teacher, use some of the threads on here that have links to the websites to put the journals together and ENJOY!!! :banana:

nurseypoo5
07-02-2006, 12:31 PM
I try to feel bad about what i'm doing, but i'm to excited to feel really bad.

Were lucky in Keller TX, we start school the beginning of the second week in august, but get 1 week plus the friday before off from school in October. That being said, free dining is over by then...soooooo...We are taking our 4th grader out of school Mon, Tues, WEds and half a day Thursday (they only go half a day on that thursday, but ofcourse will be counted as whole day)...were spending his real vacation at the beach...so basically 9 days at disney and 7 at siesta key.

We just financially couldnt let free dining slip thru our fingers for 3 1/2 days of missed school. If my son can keep his mouth shut (ugh) we'll just quietly no show to school...I'm not above fibbing..i can hear me know...OMG I THOUGHT VACATION STARTED LAST WEEK! (ok so i'll have to say a few extra hail marys lol)

My sis is a teacher and has been for 30 yrs. She was teacher of the year for the entire state of TX once. However, she feels its a great idea to rip him out of school (esp a week thats cut short and all kids arent concentrating cuz of the impending vacation) she says that since he's never been, its a once in a life time oppurtunity to be with the family (his sis is 22, probably the last "kid" vacation she'll do with us). All in all in the whole scheme of things...20 yrs from now he will remmeber this vacation but wont remember he missed 3 lousy days of school.

We'll just have to be really diligent he doesnt miss any more that year.

Hugs to all! and dont worry (however, if you can get your kid to keep it a secret, some schools can get truant officers involved if they know your just planning to skip out...i know in plano once they threatened a mom with a huge fine and ticketing if she took her kid out for a disney trip...i think it was for the whole week...but my son HAS TO KEEP HIS LIP ZIPPED :)

EeyoreFan1
07-02-2006, 12:39 PM
I dont think its wrong, I've done it, missed like 11 or 12 days of school because of Disney.. :teeth:

GoofyTraci
07-02-2006, 03:00 PM
well I feel so much better now that I have posted and read your opinions. I work in surgery and also can only take certain months for vacation and free dinning u can't beat that. ANyway hope every one has a blast we will be there at POP Sept 18-24..Can't wait very first trip to disney. Thanks for everyone being so nice and not making me feel bad for posting this question.

Have fun............

Traci :cool1: :cheer2:

Bbgrizzle
07-02-2006, 04:16 PM
http://www.billybear4kids.com/clipart/welcome-change25/WelcomeSparkle.gif

to the boards!

I am a parent and a teacher, and I say go for it! Just be responsible about makeup work, and be sure to bring your teacher home a souvenir!!

eliza61
07-02-2006, 05:36 PM
OK,OK So am I the only one who is going to take her son out of school for a week to go to disney in Sept. He will only be in 1st grade. And its at the beginning of the year. Is this bad? I have heard of others doing it but just wanted some suggestions. I'm a single mom and this is the only time I can take off from work and Since this is our first Vacation We would like to go when it's not so hot or so crouded. Please give me and opinion but be nice.

Traci

Another teacher weighing in. I generally don't like to take kids out of school for vacations. To me it just sends a bad message, but as a mom I totally understand, especially if this is really the only option you have to get off. I teach 7th grade math and my policy is notto excuse kids for Disney vacations. I'm up front with any parents who tell me this. I am not giving make up work and if there is an exam at this time the child will not be allowed to take it at a later time. That's just my policy. I took my kids out of school for 2 days once when they were in 2nd grade but I felt so guilty that I was having some poor teacher go out of her way that I never did it again. Just my 2cents.

byoung
07-02-2006, 06:35 PM
You are the parent, it's your decision.

Goobergal99
07-02-2006, 08:08 PM
Another teacher weighing in. I generally don't like to take kids out of school for vacations. To me it just sends a bad message, but as a mom I totally understand, especially if this is really the only option you have to get off. I teach 7th grade math and my policy is notto excuse kids for Disney vacations. I'm up front with any parents who tell me this. I am not giving make up work and if there is an exam at this time the child will not be allowed to take it at a later time. That's just my policy. I took my kids out of school for 2 days once when they were in 2nd grade but I felt so guilty that I was having some poor teacher go out of her way that I never did it again. Just my 2cents.

Not judging, well maybe I am a lil or alot... But 7th grade, no makeup tests? That's a lil harsh don't ya think? It's not college it's grammar school. I am glad at my DD's school the teacher is required to have make up tests for all students regardless of there reason for absence (one of the pros about paying tuition is that I can dictate where my money is going :teeth: ). I am sorry but I am a nurse and it is incredibly difficult for me to get off in the summer because alot of the old babes take their trips then and aside from that my hubby is a bricklayer and all his money is made in the summer so it is becoming increasingly difficult for us to get away at that time.

I think it is seriously selfish for that to be the expectation of a professional who only works 9 months of the year (no holidays,weekends or summers none the less) I mean really family vacations are important and they are not always taken at the most convenient time.

mmeads4
07-02-2006, 08:22 PM
I too am a nurse, I work holidays, weekends and never get much time off. :sad2: And my husband too works mainly in the summer. We are going to WDW 1st week in December. My daughter 4 will be starting preschool, but we will take her out for the week. I pay tuition too. Family time is way more important than school time, :teacher: I think that's what most kids are lacking now days. I did read a post a while back, where the teacher had the student write a report that had to be presented to the class upon returning from WDW, what a great idea, :thumbsup2 and as for make up tests- why not? Harsh in my opinion. pirate: School is hard enough as it is and family time isn't what it was 30 years ago. :confused3 I plan our vacations so it is convienent for me and my husband, bills, time of year and as the kids get older I'll have to plan around sport teams as well. So LET THEM BE KIDS AND ENJOY BEING A KID. ;) :wizard: :woohoo:
:hourglass

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;54;80/st/20061203/e/First+trip+to+Walt+Disney/k/197e/event.png
(http://www.TickerFactory.com/)

lovesmurfs
07-02-2006, 08:24 PM
I'm taking the kids out of school for 4 days before Christmas break. Air tickets paid, no going back...we'll just deal with the consequences....I intended to write a note to send the first week of school for both. DS is in 7th grade, DD in 2nd.

nurseypoo5
07-02-2006, 09:16 PM
i like the idea of you guys telling the school up front that they are missing school..but i'm not sure what would happen if i did the same thing.

I'm telling you that one school district near me called the courts on a mom who planned to take her child out of school for a week. It was jail and vacation, or go to school.

I havent heard of this since, and it was years ago, but i remember it vividly. I will say that my son made straight A's last year and had no unexcused absences. This 3 1/2 day absence probably wont be a big deal (were in a new school district, just our second year and a brand newly built school with new teachers) but it does make me nervous.

How do you go about telling teachers that your going to Disney for a trip rather than school. I just sounds bad. Its not like were taking them to London (tho we could sorta..at epcot LOL)

Seriously, has anyone ever been given a really hard time?

Goobergal99
07-03-2006, 02:27 AM
i like the idea of you guys telling the school up front that they are missing school..but i'm not sure what would happen if i did the same thing.

I'm telling you that one school district near me called the courts on a mom who planned to take her child out of school for a week. It was jail and vacation, or go to school.

I havent heard of this since, and it was years ago, but i remember it vividly. I will say that my son made straight A's last year and had no unexcused absences. This 3 1/2 day absence probably wont be a big deal (were in a new school district, just our second year and a brand newly built school with new teachers) but it does make me nervous.

How do you go about telling teachers that your going to Disney for a trip rather than school. I just sounds bad. Its not like were taking them to London (tho we could sorta..at epcot LOL)

Don't worry hunny, My DD has the flu really bad (I know not quite a Disney vacation) but seriously she was out for two weeks and her school didn't even ask me to present a Dr's note. So I honestly, wouldn't worry too much about it. In our case DD will only be missing about 4 days of school because Monday and Tuesday of our trip her school is closed for an inservice or something along those lines :goodvibes

torinsmom
07-03-2006, 09:30 AM
Not judging, well maybe I am a lil or alot... But 7th grade, no makeup tests? That's a lil harsh don't ya think? It's not college it's grammar school. I am glad at my DD's school the teacher is required to have make up tests for all students regardless of there reason for absence (one of the pros about paying tuition is that I can dictate where my money is going :teeth: ). I am sorry but I am a nurse and it is incredibly difficult for me to get off in the summer because alot of the old babes take their trips then and aside from that my hubby is a bricklayer and all his money is made in the summer so it is becoming increasingly difficult for us to get away at that time.

I think it is seriously selfish for that to be the expectation of a professional who only works 9 months of the year (no holidays,weekends or summers none the less) I mean really family vacations are important and they are not always taken at the most convenient time.

Whoa! I think that was out of line. I am a teacher and we do not work only when we are at school. We have to make up lesson plans for each and every day, grade papers, and correspond with parents. Our summer vacations are not paid, and I can tell you from experience that we work during summers getting things ready for the next school year, and doing phone or home visits to new students. Besides we are PAID for 9 months(or 10 in most school systems, anyone still have a 12 week break?) and anyone who wants to try to do my job for a week would agree we are UNDERPAID!

Seventh grade IS a big deal, and it is important that kids and parents take it seriously. If a teacher gives make-up tests for every child who goes on vacation, and then half the class misses one week during the school year, the teacher could be stuck having to give make-up tests each week. Is it fair for a teacher to have to work an hour extra so that your child can go on vacation? And if they do, won't your child expect that courtesy in high school and college, where it is not gonna happen?

At any age, I would discuss the matter with the teacher in advance. Be procative and let her know what you will be doing to make up for lost time. For younger children, the Epcot Passport would be a good show and tell, along with pictures of each country. For older children, a journal would be nice, with things they learned that they didn't know before about Disney. If you let the teacher know well in advance, maybe she could change the plan slightly and make the test earlier. Teachers are human and believe it or not, we can be very understanding if treated with some consideration. And if you don't like what you hear, go to admin and plead your case.

Also, most schools have Spring Break, long Memorial Day weekend, Fall Break, long Labor Day weekend,Thanksgiving Break, and Christmas Break. If you go during one of these times, your child's time out of school will be reduced. I am going on Labor Day weekend and my son(7th grade) will miss only 1 day of school for the trip.

Marsha

Kimmielee
07-03-2006, 11:09 AM
Also, most schools have Spring Break, long Memorial Day weekend, Fall Break, long Labor Day weekend,Thanksgiving Break, and Christmas Break. If you go during one of these times, your child's time out of school will be reduced. I am going on Labor Day weekend and my son(7th grade) will miss only 1 day of school for the trip.

Marsha

Marsha, I truly have high respect for what you do and you make some very valid points. Discussing in advance is great advice. The only issue that I have is the prices, especially for the Disney Cruise, are out of this world during any time that the kids are out of school.

We attempted to do a Spring Break cruise last year and I ended up going the week after Easter and our Spring Break to save over $2000 on the cost of the cruise.

This year, we are going over Halloween and our 7 night cruise is $400 more than our 4 night cruise was the week after Easter. So, from an financial side... vacations during normal school breaks is not financially reasonable for me.

Keep up the quest at being a great teacher. :teacher: You are highly underpaid for the value that you bring to our children.

UKVermonter
07-03-2006, 11:34 AM
Back in 1998 when we went to Disney on the end of November for 4 days the school that my son who was in 2nd grade to make it more of a learning experience for him by having him do different tasks like getting sand and a stone from every park, making a diary of everything he did and learned about each ride, Epcot was his main topic of his trip and he got things from different countries and did a class presentation with pictures and things he collected. He probably learned more about things than he would of sitting in the classroom. He even got a "A" for his report and all the kids in his class were excited to get something from Disney, he collected a stone for every child in his class.

sdrsdd
07-03-2006, 11:48 AM
I am a teacher (kindergarten). I would not mind if you took your son out..( I would just check with your child's teacher to see if he will have make-up work etc...also check with the office to inform them as well.

momandseandodisney
07-03-2006, 12:01 PM
I dont think its wrong, I've done it, missed like 11 or 12 days of school because of Disney.. :teeth:

Same here! My son misses about 7 days in sept/oct for disney, then another 5 or so for a week in mexico (or elsewhere sunny) in Feb!

torinsmom
07-03-2006, 12:45 PM
Marsha, I truly have high respect for what you do and you make some very valid points. Discussing in advance is great advice. The only issue that I have is the prices, especially for the Disney Cruise, are out of this world during any time that the kids are out of school.

We attempted to do a Spring Break cruise last year and I ended up going the week after Easter and our Spring Break to save over $2000 on the cost of the cruise.

This year, we are going over Halloween and our 7 night cruise is $400 more than our 4 night cruise was the week after Easter. So, from an financial side... vacations during normal school breaks is not financially reasonable for me.

Keep up the quest at being a great teacher. :teacher: You are highly underpaid for the value that you bring to our children.

Thanks! Actually, the reward I get for teaching is priceless! :)

I do understand financial constraints(teacher + single mom = constant financial shortfalls) I was planning a trip during fall break in October, but when I ran the numbers, I would save more than $800 for a 4 night trip if I went during free dining instead. We have the Friday before Labor Day off, so we are going then to keep from missing more than one day(him and me) Our school is a Montessori charter school, so we are a little more lenient on family trips. Some of our kids are from INdia and other countries and will be out for a MONTH at a time.

Marsha

hrh_disney_queen
07-03-2006, 02:32 PM
We have taken our boys out of school for a couple (haven't tried a whole week-DH won't go to WDW for that long) of days and have gotten mixed reactions from teachers. With No Child Left Behind being so strict now, public schools are pressed to try to keep kids in good attendance. I have had one teacher (1st grade) "tsk, tsk" me, and another (K5) share her love of WDW with me, stating that she would be missing school herself and taking her kids out for a week. It depends on the attendance requirements in your district. We are allowed 5 unexcused absences here in GA.. WDW does not qualify as an excused absences, no matter how much one tries to stress the "educational" qualities..(I mean really, who goes to WDW for an education, anyway??)

I am sure that you have taken into account your child's capabilities to catch up by missing a week of 1st grade. My kids both do well in school, so I don't fear them missing a couple of days..They are healthy, so they missed a total of 4 days each last school year-2 of them were for WDW..No one knows your kids like you do.

My feeling is....it is MY child, I will do what I see fit. At these ages (6 & 8), a couple of days off aren't going to affect that much. If the teacher can help out with homework upfront, great. If not, oh well, it would be the same if he missed because of illness. I would probably not take them out for a week in the jr high/high school years, because I am sure they would miss too much.

Do what you feel is proper for YOUR CHILD.. I never lied to the school and said they were out sick, or anything, because I felt that I was right doing what I did. If they wanted to send DSS out, I would argue with them about the many truant kids that are out running around during school hours just doing nothing or getting into trouble...This just ain't the same...but they get lumped together anyway.

I will now relinquish my soapbox to a new opinion. :blush:

jmlaw
07-03-2006, 02:40 PM
If that is the time that works for you to be able to go, I think you should go for it. It's never ideal to take your child out of school, but better to do it in first grade than in 10th grade. We are going at the end of August, but my son is starting high school this fall, 8 or 9 years ago, I would have taken him out if I had to. Just keep his teacher informed and make sure he understands that he has to make up his work to stay caught up in school.

IMO, the benefits of a wonderful trip with his family far outweigh the negatives at this point in his life!

lyzziesmom
07-03-2006, 02:46 PM
I took my DD out of first grade for a week in September last year, and I will do it again this year. She is so far & away above her grade level, that her first grade teacher didn't even want her to do any makeup work while we were gone.

rmom50
07-03-2006, 02:57 PM
There is nothing better you could do for your kids than spend time with them and provide them travel opportunities. :thumbsup2 Go for it - have a great time. :cool1: You'll never regret it. My dad was a teacher and used to take us out to travel. I learned and retained much more from those trips than in school (college graduate BTW). :wave:

hrh_disney_queen
07-03-2006, 03:01 PM
There is nothing better you could do for your kids than spend time with them and provide them travel opportunities. :thumbsup2 Go for it - have a great time. :cool1: You'll never regret it. My dad was a teacher and used to take us out to travel. I learned and retained much more from those trips than in school (college graduate BTW). :wave:

ITA with this post....couldn't have said it better myself. It will be soon enough that your kids don't want to have anything to do with you, enjoy this time together...

You will be so glad you chose this time of year, as you walk right on to many of the rides instead of standing in line for 2 hours...

GeologyRocks
07-03-2006, 03:04 PM
I fought with this myself - I was supposed to take my kid brothers on a trip where they would miss school. Both have great grades, and know that they have to have very very good grades to get to miss school. Neither made the (fairly high) standard set in order to miss school, so I had to reschedule and snip - during free dining, no less! Their grades are still very good, and not to be punished - but they can't have the VERY big extra of missing school. We worked a way where they get disney time twice, but without missing school.

Bushman
07-03-2006, 03:13 PM
My 4th grade teacher/wife only asks 1 thing from kids who will be gone for any time to go to Disneyworld; Do a trip report w/ 3 things you learned.

I asked her if the kids got mad, and she has never had a kid who couldn't wait to tell the whole class things about the trip when they get back. She says usually, the day they get back, it's the first thing they want to do.

She and I agree; life is too short and you will work extremely hard during your lifetime. Take advantage of every opportunity for fun, becuase when you're gone, you can't take any of this with you. :cool1:

Gizmo1951
07-03-2006, 03:22 PM
My 2 Grand daughters are now 6 and 11
The last 3 years we have taken them out of school for 5-7 days for each Disney Trip in October or Nov
We always asked the teachers for any work ahead of time and had them complete what they could before we left and finish up when we returned.
The school/teachers never have had a problem and look at it as a learning experience. We also had a few teachers who wanted to come along.
The girls had no problem catching up in class after returning to school.
:cheer2:

PRINCESSMOMX3
07-03-2006, 03:49 PM
We will take our first grader out the first week of Sept. She will miss 4 days of school b/c of the Labor Day Holiday. We are lucky enough to have her teacher in our church and she says no problem. However my daughter is extremely advanced.......reading on a fifth grade level already. It makes more since for us to go during Sept and we will continue until we meet a teacher who has a problem with it.........and will probably still go anyway.

JayS
07-03-2006, 04:00 PM
IMO, the benefits of a wonderful trip with his family far outweigh the negatives at this point in his life!

I'll Second that.

forr2grls
07-03-2006, 04:15 PM
Hey all! My turn!:)lol...We have a disney trip planned Dec 7-14. We will be driving down so we are looking at 11 days our kids will be out. There are many factors why we have chosen this time to take our vaca. Number 1 is our daughters' (Ashlie) health issues(seizures). does not do well in high (anything over 70) temps. So this will be perfect. Number 2,saving $$$. #3,its our christmas present!! I have already spoken to Ashlie's spec ed teacher,she told me there are 2 things-have fun and keep a journal! Yippee!! i love this woman! When school starts i am going to talk to my other daughters teacher. Hopefully that will go well,if not,then it's off to the principals' office!:scared1:

Paula

chigirl
07-03-2006, 04:31 PM
We went 9/05 and are going 10/06 not to save money, but because why spend thousands on a trip only to go to a congested park? When we went in 9/05, we walked on all the attractions, no wait, no crowds. A WDW trip is like one month's salary for my husband or almost a month for me, so this is a bite out of our budget, we want to make sure we get a lot of bang for our buck.

My kids are going into 3rd and going into 8th...both are awesome students and my daughter gets straight A's in honor classes. They don't give my son letter grades until this year, so they catch up pretty quickly. The teachers were all "ok" with it, maybe because my kids are not troublemakers and score high on standardized tests, too. Or maybe they were mad and held their tounges????

We spend hours together as a family at museums, zoos, etc and we have friends who are teachers, musicians, scientists, actors, authors and artists and my husband is an artist, so they get exposed to quite a bit of learning every day.

Go and have fun...I used to spend 2 weeks every November and every March from 2cnd grade to 6th visiting my parents and I still received all A's, didn't kill me!

BamaFan121s
07-03-2006, 04:53 PM
My DD will begin Kindergarden this fall and we have every intention of taking her out of school the week of T'giving--they are already out Wed-Fri that week.
My parents took me out of school when I was a junior and my sis out T'giving week 3 different years. (Of course, she was in a parade "representing" the school so it was excused...whatever. Anyway, we both graduated with honors and college credit from high school, so it apparently did have any lasting effect on us.
I think this is just a decision each parent has to decide for themselveds based on their individual situations.

i'dratherbe@wdw
07-03-2006, 05:26 PM
My school system has a very strict attendance policy, but they do give 5 parent days that can be used for any reason. I will use one parent day at the end of September so we can take advantage of free dining. We have fall break the first week of October. My DD is a very good student. We do seek educational opportunities when we travel. She is growing up so fast I just want to create some wonderful memories for both of us.
Every parent has to consider child's age and personality, and of course school policy then do what is right for your child. :goodvibes

LuvOrlando
07-03-2006, 07:49 PM
This has hit a nerve with me. I take my kids to WDW almost every year and I refuse to feel bad for enjoying my family (lots of people try to get me to feel bad but why, I can't figure). I am 100% certain that when my children think back on their childhoods they won't remember old Ms. so & so and the spelling test they missed but they WILL remember when Goofy tripped Daddy at Chef Mickey's and the food went everywhere and my kids WILL remember that their parents made spending time with them their #1 priority :grouphug:

My 2 cents is go ahead and enjoy yourself at WDW.

HappyLawyer
07-03-2006, 10:30 PM
but this is what i do not understand, why do people care what other people think on this subject, you will get mixed responses, people say be nice when they know there are people out there waiting for something to fuss about, do what is best for your family and don't give a care what others have to say on the subject, we go every other december and i take my dtr out of school, i could care less what others think. I used to be one of those that did not, but there are certain factors, the beginning of dec is value season, shorter lines and my dtr does not get frustrated waiting in those long lines, we get to enjoy, i met a family at the airport once they were leaving as we were comming down, they told me how they take their kids out and the reasons why i thought about it, and i have done it ever since, it works for us, do what works for you

have fun on your trip

ItGirl753
07-04-2006, 12:35 AM
I am a first grade teacher in the inner city. Kudos to you for working hard and being able to take a great trip and spend time with your child! This year I had students who missed 50-60 days, illegally. I know darn well they were sitting at home watching tv. In my district the "maximum" number of absences is 28, but with the budget cuts we have lost most of the staff who deal with truancy.

I do not feel it is overly detrimental for a child to miss a week of school in the first grade, even in the beginning of the school year...especially if he/she is a decent student. I respect parents who spend time with their children and work on skills with their children! I have had plenty of parents tell me their kids will miss school for x, y, or z. Unless they have a large number of absences already, there is really nothing I can say about a trip. I guess other districts are stricter and some teachers appear to get very upset about this issue, but that is my opinion.

Have a great time and build PRICELESS memories with your child!

macfamily
07-04-2006, 07:40 AM
I work in a preschool for children with neurological disorders; kids who need more than anything to have some structure in their lives. Unfortunately ALL THE TIME I am seeing kids absent from school and we know for a fact (because the parents call) that the parents were just not feeling like taking the time out of their day to bring their kid to school, and would rather do whatever while the kid's at home in front of the TV.

Nothing annoys me more than having someone who is NOT a relative of my child tell me how I should spend my time with my child and when I'm allowed to do it. My little girl is entering the 5th grade this year and her 11th Birthday present is a trip to Disney. I can NOT wait to see the look on her face in Novermber when she finds out. It's not even entered my mind to be concerned over whether her teacher will have a problem with my daughter being out for a few days in December, because this is OUR family and OUR vacation, and the ONLY time we're able to do it.

Bleh, I told myself I wouldn't get crabby about this type of thing :) I'll shaddap now!

HappyLawyer
07-04-2006, 01:12 PM
As a former teacher, middle school ED/BD i had kids miss school because they wanted to stay sleep, i looked at things this way, first with everything going on in the world today, we need to enjoy every minute we can, think about the number of kids that go to disney or even on a vacation, now imagine all the ones that don't and never will. I have a sister who is rich, my neice lives a good life, i overheard her talking my my dtr telling her she is so jealous of her because we go to disney, point is even people with the means to go are not always abel to due to work etc.... thankfully my sister and her kids we be going with us for the first time.

torinsmom
07-04-2006, 01:44 PM
As a former teacher, middle school ED/BD i had kids miss school because they wanted to stay sleep, i looked at things this way, first with everything going on in the world today, we need to enjoy every minute we can, think about the number of kids that go to disney or even on a vacation, now imagine all the ones that don't and never will. I have a sister who is rich, my neice lives a good life, i overheard her talking my my dtr telling her she is so jealous of her because we go to disney, point is even people with the means to go are not always abel to due to work etc.... thankfully my sister and her kids we be going with us for the first time.

This is SO true! My sister just built a new 5000 sq ft. house on 10 acres with a real basketball court and now they are installing a pool. She can pretty much buy whatever she wants and does. Sad thing is that they don't have the time to go to Disney and both of them say that a trip to Disney doesn't "appeal" to them. So, what about their kids, 10 and 7? I feel bad for them, and they are sad that we are going back again. My sister and BIL will not let them go without them, but don't want to go. I just feel like we should enjoy our kids while they are young, because before we know it, they will be grown. So, although I have a limited income, I will gladly take my son to Disney, even if it means no eating out for a few months. Its worth it to me!

Marsha

cvs2kids
07-04-2006, 02:04 PM
I have a 12 yr old and an eight yr old who have finished grades 6 & 1 respectively.

We took them out for 9 school days last year. Doing it again this year :banana: (I :love: free dining).

My son is making the transition to middle school. I feel terrible. But.. my SIL, who works at the school, asked one of his (future) teachers about it, and they said to go and have a blast. He said the first 6 weeks are review from last year anyway.

So away we go!!

Pocohantasfan
07-04-2006, 02:43 PM
Okay, I have to put in my 2 cents worth too. My DD8 will be in 3rd grade and I've already discussed with her teacher that we will be going on vacation in October. She said she was fully aware of DD's grades as she pays attention to the upcoming students as well as the ones she has in her class. DD is an all A student and she will not penalize DD for being out. There are a few hoops that I have to go through, like write a letter of authorization to the principal, but at the end of the day, we'll be going anyway. Then luckily, we found out that fall break is during the week we'll be gone, so she will only lose 2 days of work. If DD was having problems in school, etc., then I would think twice but I don't have a single worry about it. Her teacher is even going to work with her to get some of her work done before she leaves and can work on some when she gets back or we can take it with us.

nurseypoo5
07-04-2006, 04:48 PM
Okay, I have to put in my 2 cents worth too. My DD8 will be in 3rd grade and I've already discussed with her teacher that we will be going on vacation in October. She said she was fully aware of DD's grades as she pays attention to the upcoming students as well as the ones she has in her class. DD is an all A student and she will not penalize DD for being out. There are a few hoops that I have to go through, like write a letter of authorization to the principal, but at the end of the day, we'll be going anyway. Then luckily, we found out that fall break is during the week we'll be gone, so she will only lose 2 days of work. If DD was having problems in school, etc., then I would think twice but I don't have a single worry about it. Her teacher is even going to work with her to get some of her work done before she leaves and can work on some when she gets back or we can take it with us.

See this is where the fear for me sets in, i can see the school board making an example out of my child for missing 3 1/2 days. Part of me wants to lie and act dumb and pretend i thought fall break started the week we left instead of the next week (were going to be gone 2 weeks, 6.5 school days are off anyway, he will miss 3.5 days). I was just going act dumb, but now i guess not, i'll buck up and just nonchalantly tell the teacher...btw, Tyler will miss 3 days of school in Sept so i want to let you know in plenty of time, i'll have him write a report on his trip day by day, like a diary :).

Try not to give her to much of an option for argument, but still be nice as pie :)

THanks ya'll :)

Liz

hrh_disney_queen
07-04-2006, 07:18 PM
See this is where the fear for me sets in, i can see the school board making an example out of my child for missing 3 1/2 days. Part of me wants to lie and act dumb and pretend i thought fall break started the week we left instead of the next week (were going to be gone 2 weeks, 6.5 school days are off anyway, he will miss 3.5 days). I was just going act dumb, but now i guess not, i'll buck up and just nonchalantly tell the teacher...btw, Tyler will miss 3 days of school in Sept so i want to let you know in plenty of time, i'll have him write a report on his trip day by day, like a diary :).

Try not to give her to much of an option for argument, but still be nice as pie :)

Liz

Have a great time and don't look back!! I wonder how much of teacher resistance that is encountered at times is not them personally, but that little Board of Ed. voice in the back of their heads pounding in the attendance policy...I always just inform the teacher that DS will be missing these days....if there is anything we can do as far as homework or whatever, that would be great. No apologies, no lying, no asking permission, "do you mind?"....It's my kid...I know the attendance policies, and we are willing to accept them...If I thought it would be detrimental to DS's, I wouldn't do it..missing 2-3 days is just the same as a sick absence. I wish they would concentrate on those parents that just don't feel like getting out of bed to get their kids ready for school. and this doesn't just happen in the underpriviledged areas. My neighbor across the street (no money cares in the world...) didn't feel like getting up one day(neither mom nor dad) to take their son to private school...so he just stayed home and played outside..I don't get it...

Please don't let anyone make you feel bad for making a logical choice for going this time of year...I wonder how many distractors out there are just feeling "sour grapes" because they can't/wont do the same...

Have fun making memories with your family!!

MPLsDad
07-04-2006, 07:35 PM
I'm a teacher - I've taught Pre-K through 5th grade. My opinion may mean something or nothing to you, but I've got to let you know how I feel. School is not the only place for children to learn. If this is the only time or the best time for you to take your child(ren) to Disney, then go, go, go! I think it's safe to say that no one concept has ever been exclusively taught in the 7 days that your kid will miss school for this experience. Make it a point to record special experiences with your kid that will translate into life lessons for tomorrow. Enjoy your vacation. Enjoy the wonder of your child experiencing the magic. Don't let unimportant things ruin your vacation either - who cares if there are no towel animals - so what if the bus is running late - if it rains and you're all getting wet, then dance in the rain!!! If we live to be 80, then we have about 29,200 days on this planet - spending 7 of them in Disney certainly can't hurt!

LuvOrlando
07-04-2006, 10:35 PM
When we went to WDW, Seaworld & Universal this past Feb both of my children's teachers, grades 1 & 2, requested journals. At first I didn't think much about this, I thought it would be one more thing to do when we came home. :sad2:

I figured I could let the kids use our photos to help them remember what they did each day so when we got back I had 3 sets of pictures developed (kept one) and gave one to each child. While I was at Walmart I picked up 2 clear white 1 inch binders and 4 sets of clear 3 ring paper protectors to hold their photos as day markers. When we sat down to work I made both DD & DS a pile of photos for each day in Orlando. While they were writing their journals they could flip through the pictures and select 1 photo per event they described. When they finished it was 1 page per day + 1 page of photos per day. Since our trip was 10 days the journals took 3 days to finish.

When my children were done I realized that finally I had a way to preserve WDW through my children's eyes. Both of my children got A's on their reports but I got 2 treasures I'll keep forever. :woohoo:

nurseypoo5
07-04-2006, 11:14 PM
When we went to WDW, Seaworld & Universal this past Feb both of my children's teachers, grades 1 & 2, requested journals. At first I didn't think much about this, I thought it would be one more thing to do when we came home. :sad2:

I figured I could let the kids use our photos to help them remember what they did each day so when we got back I had 3 sets of pictures developed (kept one) and gave one to each child. While I was at Walmart I picked up 2 clear white 1 inch binders and 4 sets of clear 3 ring paper protectors to hold their photos as day markers. When we sat down to work I made both DD & DS a pile of photos for each day in Orlando. While they were writing their journals they could flip through the pictures and select 1 photo per event they described. When they finished it was 1 page per day + 1 page of photos per day. Since our trip was 10 days the journals took 3 days to finish.

When my children were done I realized that finally I had a way to preserve WDW through my children's eyes. Both of my children got A's on their reports but I got 2 treasures I'll keep forever. :woohoo:

As a Scrapbooker I LOVE THIS IDEA!!!!! :artist:

Goobergal99
07-05-2006, 11:10 AM
Seventh grade IS a big deal, and it is important that kids and parents take it seriously. If a teacher gives make-up tests for every child who goes on vacation, and then half the class misses one week during the school year, the teacher could be stuck having to give make-up tests each week. Is it fair for a teacher to have to work an hour extra so that your child can go on vacation? And if they do, won't your child expect that courtesy in high school and college, where it is not gonna happen?

of school for the trip.

Marsha

I am not sure what HS or college you went to, however we had make up tests in HS and if we knew in advance we wouldn't be there for a test in college, we were offered the opportunity to go to the professors class that was held on a seperate day or at another time.

As far as taking vacations during busy spring break times, that might be convenient for you, but I am a nurse, make excellent money, and my DH isn't doing to bad either and we couldn't afford to go to Disney and actually enjoy it at that time of the year so i can imagine the dillema for some of the other women/men on here.

I knew I would be flamed when I posted but I am sorry I think the comment that I quoted was selfish to boot. No one is going to dictate to me when I choose to take my child on vacation and If I was told by some 7th grade teacher with a power trip that she was refusing to allow my child a makeup test, I would be looking at other educational opportunities for my child.

Just my 2 cents :thumbsup2

sbpuckett
07-05-2006, 01:08 PM
I'm not going to read every response here b/c most everyone will say the same thing. Basically I am in the same boat. My oldest is in 1st grade this year, younger in pre-k 2 days per week. He will miss 5 days of school as we are leaving the first Friday in october and coming back the following weekend. One day gone is a holiday here. Anyway, I honestly hadn't given a second thought to it, partly b/c he is so young and so much further ahead than most kids in his grade at school. Second b/c my parents took us out of school for a week each and every october until I started Junior High. A couple of things I learned from them though: Tell the school well in advance and REQUEST work ahead of time. I am telling his teacher that if she gets me his work by such and such time, he will turn it in the last day before we leave. That way, you won't have to worry about homework while you're gone and she won't have to worry about grading all that makeup work - she can grade it with everyone elses.

Now, as a former teacher, I think it also depends on the kid. As I said, my son tests 2 grades ahead and picks up new things in record time. Also, I know for a fact that the majority of the kids going into the first grade will slow the class down. I'm not the least bit worried but if your childs class is more advanced and he doesn't pick up on stuff easily, then you might consider that.

Finally, we are coming back a day early so that everyone has time to wind down and get back into the routine - not to mention some much needed rest.

Have fun and enjoy - they're only young once :wizard:

lindakmonty
07-05-2006, 01:13 PM
ds is going into Kindergarten and I was trying to plan a cruise last year. I called the school to see about going this year and they said at that age they didn't care how much he missed! is that crazy or what??? I don't mind a week but I'm sure later it will depend on his grades and the school... have fun they grow up so fast!!

N&B'smom
07-05-2006, 01:25 PM
We took our son out in kindergarten for a week and he was perfectly fine. It was the 3rd week of September so I felt he wasn't missing much. We're taking him out again this year the end of Sept to beginning of Oct, he'll be in 2nd grade. I feel at this age it won't be a big deal and they will be mostly doing a review of what was learned in 1st grade. He's an excellent student so I'm not worried in the least. I plan to let his teacher know as soon as I find out who his teacher is for next year! :sunny:

As he gets older I don't know, we may switch to a time when he will miss less days due to having a couple days off school. We'll have to see. But while they are young you should just go for it!!

Shelby

Pocohantasfan
07-05-2006, 01:36 PM

Liz

I am sure that the 2 1/2 days (we're taking her out at 1 p.m. the Friday before b/c we're driving) that she'll be missing will unexecused. I don't really care one way or the other. As long as she is not penalized for it and can make up work then I am okay with it. DD goes to a small private school and her teacher for next year is a pastor's wife. She told me that she once took her children out of school for 10 days b/c they went to the Holy Land, as a family. She has never regretted it one bit. B/c of our jobs, there are only certain times of the year that we can get together and enjoy each other as a family. Who knows how many more days we have with our children and spouses and what would be the difference if my child is sick for 2 or 3 days? DD is in school every other day that the doors are open.

torinsmom
07-05-2006, 01:51 PM
I am not sure what HS or college you went to, however we had make up tests in HS and if we knew in advance we wouldn't be there for a test in college, we were offered the opportunity to go to the professors class that was held on a seperate day or at another time.

As far as taking vacations during busy spring break times, that might be convenient for you, but I am a nurse, make excellent money, and my DH isn't doing to bad either and we couldn't afford to go to Disney and actually enjoy it at that time of the year so i can imagine the dillema for some of the other women/men on here.

I knew I would be flamed when I posted but I am sorry I think the comment that I quoted was selfish to boot. No one is going to dictate to me when I choose to take my child on vacation and If I was told by some 7th grade teacher with a power trip that she was refusing to allow my child a makeup test, I would be looking at other educational opportunities for my child.

Just my 2 cents :thumbsup2

I surely wasn't flaming you for your opinion about taking kids out to go to Disney, but saying someone else's view was selfish was uncalled for, IMO. I don't think she said that parents who take their kids out of school to go to Disney were selfish, did she? I just don't think putting a label on someone's character was necessary. You disagree, just say so and let it go without saying someone is selfish

I went to UNC-Chapel Hill and I am sure there were make-up exams for someone who was sick or out for a family emergency. However, I am pretty sure if a college student told their professor he needed to miss an exam to go to Disney, he would be laughed out of the professor's office. :teeth:

In college(and high school) I think the syllabus is usually very clear about when major tests are to be given. I would just work around the tests at that point, since you know at the beginning of the semester.

As I said, I am a teacher, and I am definitely not against taking a child out for a few days to go on a family vacation, wherever it may be. My son is going into seventh grade and we are going to Disney Labor Day Weekend. He will be out of school the Thursday before and we have holidays Friday and Monday. Even in 7th grade, our school has a syllabus, so we will be completing whatever is due on that Thursday(and probably Tuesday since we will be getting back late on Monday) BEFORE we leave.

Marsha

frndofpooh
07-05-2006, 02:28 PM
We usually go to WDW in September, taking our DS out of school to do so. School has always been relatively easy for him, so catching up was never really an issue. We have always told the school the truth and the teachers have been supportive.
Last year he began third grade and we went to WDW in September and it was more of an problem. Third grade presents a lot more organizational challenges and independence is strongly stressed. We suspect he may have had an easier time readjusting to school if we had taken him out when he was more acclimated to school and had the routines down. So, this year we are going in December. That being said, I think it's probably fine to take your son out if he's generally comfortable with school and you tell the teacher the truth about where you are going. Have a great time! :wave:

Goobergal99
07-05-2006, 09:34 PM
I surely wasn't flaming you for your opinion about taking kids out to go to Disney, but saying someone else's view was selfish was uncalled for, IMO. I don't think she said that parents who take their kids out of school to go to Disney were selfish, did she? I just don't think putting a label on someone's character was necessary. You disagree, just say so and let it go without saying someone is selfish

I went to UNC-Chapel Hill and I am sure there were make-up exams for someone who was sick or out for a family emergency. However, I am pretty sure if a college student told their professor he needed to miss an exam to go to Disney, he would be laughed out of the professor's office. :teeth:

In college(and high school) I think the syllabus is usually very clear about when major tests are to be given. I would just work around the tests at that point, since you know at the beginning of the semester.

As I said, I am a teacher, and I am definitely not against taking a child out for a few days to go on a family vacation, wherever it may be. My son is going into seventh grade and we are going to Disney Labor Day Weekend. He will be out of school the Thursday before and we have holidays Friday and Monday. Even in 7th grade, our school has a syllabus, so we will be completing whatever is due on that Thursday(and probably Tuesday since we will be getting back late on Monday) BEFORE we leave.

Marsha

No hard feelings honestly :sunny: , I just think her post was very harsh and I responded although I understand your defense. I just think it is a lil ecentric to not offer a makeup test to a 7th grader and I think someone after me agreed as well

ilovepooh
07-06-2006, 10:53 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. It's the only time you can go, then go when you can.

I would let the school know beforehand.

It will be hard to transition to school mode after being off and then having just come home from WDW.

I would go!! Life is too short!!

LBelle
07-07-2006, 02:35 AM
We have NO problem letting our kids miss a bit of school in order to take our family holidays!! Granted, the older they get, the more impact, but as long as they are doing well with their courses, we see no problem with it - especially for WDW, where crowd level (always at its worst :crowded: DURING any school break) is a HUGE factor on the enjoyment of the trip!

4chitlins
07-07-2006, 06:21 AM
We have NO problem letting our kids miss a bit of school in order to take our family holidays!! Granted, the older they get, the more impact, but as long as they are doing well with their courses, we see no problem with it - especially for WDW, where crowd level (always at its worst :crowded: DURING any school break) is a HUGE factor on the enjoyment of the trip!
I will take mine out for a few days too. We would really like to go when it is not a big crowd time of the year so they have a better time.btw? is LBelle your name? My mother's maiden name was LaBelle and I always loved it.

Rachljo22
07-07-2006, 08:49 AM

I'm so sorry you are going through this nursey! My DD(8)'s teacher was very encouraging when I told her we were going to WDW for a week. We planned it so that she would be gone 3 days one weej and two the next, so I think that helped! ((((((Nursey)))))))

thedears
07-07-2006, 09:42 AM
It's kind of difficult when you also work for a school system but I have already told my boss that I WILL have the flu the week of Dec. 10 - 15 :p LOL..by the way, she has given me her blessing to go and enjoy. On a serious side now I learned a GREAT lesson four years ago as I watched my dad take his last breath.....LIFE IS TOO SHORT !!!!!!!!!!!!! I say go and enjoy !!!!!!!!!! I plan on taking my DD (upcoming 9th grader and flag corp member which means every Friday night football games until October) and DD (upcoming 4th grader) out the week before exams. I figure by that time they should know what they'll need for exams. What better way to study for exams other than a 10 hour drive (one way). We'll return for two days before they have to take the actual exam so I think they'll be fine.

torinsmom
07-07-2006, 10:16 AM
It's kind of difficult when you also work for a school system but I have already told my boss that I WILL have the flu the week of Dec. 10 - 15 :p LOL..by the way, she has given me her blessing to go and enjoy. On a serious side now I learned a GREAT lesson four years ago as I watched my dad take his last breath.....LIFE IS TOO SHORT !!!!!!!!!!!!! I say go and enjoy !!!!!!!!!! I plan on taking my DD (upcoming 9th grader and flag corp member which means every Friday night football games until October) and DD (upcoming 4th grader) out the week before exams. I figure by that time they should know what they'll need for exams. What better way to study for exams other than a 10 hour drive (one way). We'll return for two days before they have to take the actual exam so I think they'll be fine.

You are the lucky one! I'm a teacher too and our admin has to give special approval to any leave request over 2 days! Some people just get around it by being "sick" but then I know my son would come back talking about our trip! LOL So for now, a long Labor Day weekend trip is what we have to do.

Marsha

babynurse1
07-07-2006, 10:30 AM
We took our two oldest out of elementary school a few years ago, and the prinicipal found us at a school function to discuss our "decision". We stuck to our guns, and told him that missing a week of school was not going to seriously impact their long term education. He finally said "I guess it's not the worst thing that ever happened". Guess what! Our two younger kids are in the school this year and we will be taking them out in October. :wave2: See ya! :teacher: The teachers were much more understanding, and even gave us their work beforehand. I guess the school gets paid for each student that attends each day or something. My philsophy is life is short, live it! :flower:

torinsmom
07-07-2006, 11:45 AM
I guess the school gets paid for each student that attends each day or something. My philsophy is life is short, live it! :flower:

How I have been told it works is that the school is paid for the average number of children that attend school during the first 45 days of the school year. This number sets funding for the ENTIRE year. So, if there was an average attendance of 200 those first 45 days, but we actually had 225 kids attending our school that year, we would only get the funds for the 200.

And if a child withdraws and transfers to another school after that 45 days, THAT school gets no funds for that child. One of our directors used to say for us to be extra nice to the parents those first 45 days, but after that, if they were making our lives extra hard, we could "get real" with them. LOL

I don't think the funding matters so much to public schools, but our school is a charter school, and every little bit of money counts. We have to pay for our facilities, utilities, etc. whereas public schools do not.

Marsha

uhtimex
07-07-2006, 12:32 PM
We (DGF and I) will be taking our 5 DD's to WDW in January. They will miss the 1st 2 days of second semester.....no big deal. One of DGF girls will be starting JR High in August so we opted to go after she has settled in. No free meal plan for us.

LegoMom3
07-07-2006, 12:37 PM
Just tossing my .02 into the pot of those who pull 'em! I simply won't go during the crowds of summer or holiday weeks. This Sept. when we go my oldest will be in 4th grade, and middle son in 1st. I probably wouldn't do this every year, but we don't get to go to Disney every year and this is our "big" trip we've been planning.

Go and have a wonderful time! :goodvibes

sameyeyam
07-07-2006, 06:20 PM
Go and have fun. Who cares if they miss a few days of school. I pulled my kids out of school for a few extra days last year prior to Spring Break.

We invited my mother to go to Disney with us and had a wonderful 9 days with her. She was in excellent health, age 59 and died from a burst brain aneurysm 1 month after the Disney vacation.

It made me realize how grateful I was about pulling the kids out from school for that extra few days, it was the last time they saw her. I agonized over the decision to pull them out of school. I used to make school a top priority, now it comes second, after family.

I know that education is important, but trust me, there is nothing more important than spending time with your family, whether it's at Disney or elsewhere.

Unless your child is having a difficult time in school, a few missed assignments mean absolutely nothing in the entire scheme of life!

So go, pull the kids out of school, don't feel the least bit guilty about it. Have an awesome vacation and savor each moment of the time you get to spend together in such a special place. :love:

declansdad
07-07-2006, 08:11 PM
First off this opinion is a little one sided as it comes from a former teacher.

I do completely understand the financial implications of travel and the incredible experiences that Disney provides. However, please be aware that the first few months of first grade are critical for kids to get adjusted to the school routine and process.

With those things in mind, please be up front with your child's teacher. Let them know and see if they are willing to put together work, or some books to read. Secondly, take advantage of the things you are doing at Disney. It is a great place for experiential learning. Perhaps help your child to write a journal of if he is not ready for that have him draw pictures and dictate sentances to you. This is a great keep sake and it shows the teacher your committment to his learning.

See how he does returning to school after the trip. Remember it may be hard for him to get back into the school routine. (this is normal for kids of this age). Try your best to communicate with the teacher before and after.

Hope this helps.

This is one of the smartest and level-headed posts that I have ever read on this topic.

:thumbsup2

declansdad
07-07-2006, 08:13 PM
I try to feel bad about what i'm doing, but i'm to excited to feel really bad.

Were lucky in Keller TX, we start school the beginning of the second week in august, but get 1 week plus the friday before off from school in October. That being said, free dining is over by then...soooooo...We are taking our 4th grader out of school Mon, Tues, WEds and half a day Thursday (they only go half a day on that thursday, but ofcourse will be counted as whole day)...were spending his real vacation at the beach...so basically 9 days at disney and 7 at siesta key.

We just financially couldnt let free dining slip thru our fingers for 3 1/2 days of missed school. If my son can keep his mouth shut (ugh) we'll just quietly no show to school...I'm not above fibbing..i can hear me know...OMG I THOUGHT VACATION STARTED LAST WEEK! (ok so i'll have to say a few extra hail marys lol)

My sis is a teacher and has been for 30 yrs. She was teacher of the year for the entire state of TX once. However, she feels its a great idea to rip him out of school (esp a week thats cut short and all kids arent concentrating cuz of the impending vacation) she says that since he's never been, its a once in a life time oppurtunity to be with the family (his sis is 22, probably the last "kid" vacation she'll do with us). All in all in the whole scheme of things...20 yrs from now he will remmeber this vacation but wont remember he missed 3 lousy days of school.

We'll just have to be really diligent he doesnt miss any more that year.

Hugs to all! and dont worry (however, if you can get your kid to keep it a secret, some schools can get truant officers involved if they know your just planning to skip out...i know in plano once they threatened a mom with a huge fine and ticketing if she took her kid out for a disney trip...i think it was for the whole week...but my son HAS TO KEEP HIS LIP ZIPPED :)

Man if you are going to do this, just tell the truth. Not only does it set a bad example for your child but it put lots of pressure on him to not let it slip to his friends at school.

EeyoreFan1
07-07-2006, 08:40 PM
We haven't done that yet but plan to. Our kids will be in Kindergarten and 1st grade fro the 2006-2007 school year. We have reservations and plane tickets already and will miss a week of school just prior to Christmas. I haven't mentioned it to the school yet but our kids are good and don't miss much school usually so they will just have to deal with it. :cool1: Really I think as long as you make up homework, schoolwork, etc. it is not a big deal.

Good luck and have fun.

::yes:: I agree.

LBelle
07-08-2006, 12:32 AM
to 4chitlins:

No, LBelle is just the name I came up with for Intercot/DIS boards, etc. I love Beauty & the Beast, but, of course, Belle was already taken, plus my real name starts with an 'L' (lisa), so, tah dah...LBelle it is

4chitlins
07-08-2006, 07:01 AM
to 4chitlins:

No, LBelle is just the name I came up with for Intercot/DIS boards, etc. I love Beauty & the Beast, but, of course, Belle was already taken, plus my real name starts with an 'L' (lisa), so, tah dah...LBelle it is
Thanks for letting me know. My sister is into all the geneology stuff so anytime I hear about someone with the last name of my family I check it out for her. Anyways don't worry about the school thing. I took all of mine out in Feb and we are going again in Oct. and most teachers are really cool about it. One of my twins gets really good grades and it didn't affect them so he was happy

akraeger
07-08-2006, 10:11 AM
We will be taking our son ( will be in 1st grade ) out during this time. Last year we were going to go during the same time frame and the teacher said it was fine and that everyone does it.

This year, his teacher will be sending his homework home with him the week before Thanksgiving; since he will be out of school from Nov 20- Dec 5. (Thanksgiving week they all have off ) :woohoo:

Texa
07-08-2006, 11:50 AM
I was a huge advocate for taking kids of out school. We went last year the week after Thanksgiving. I scheduled a meeting with the teacher about 6 weeks ahead of time in case she wanted to make a packet of work to take with us. I warned DS he would have to try real hard not to get sick the rest of the year. :goodvibes I got a letter from the teacher that it was okay and there was no major assignments or even new matireal at that time - she did this voluntarily because she new I was worried, gave the school a note before we left that we would be going (the long one from the other website). My DS was in the 3rd grade and was on the A honor roll the entire year. I also gave the school previous records of his attendance (never missed a day in kindergarten and 1st, maybe 1 or two in 2nd with Drs notes) to show this isn't something we do lightly. Went to disney and had a fabulous time. About a week and a half after I returned I got a letter from the county saying the district had informed them of my sons absence and if I did again, or if he was had 2 more unexcused absences I would be fined or possible sent to jail for being irresponsible with a minor/truant.

I went to the school and asked why since my DS grades didn't miss a beat. They responded it doesn't matter how well your child is doing, long absences mess up their state funding.

I am not against taking your child out for family time (Disney or not) AT ALL. In fact if your child is doing well I would be a huge advocate for it because this is your family LIFE, which is much more than reading, writing, etc. But I would strongly suggest that in addition to contact your child's teacher you contact the school, even just the front office attendance clerk, to find out what the exact penalties would be for your child and also yourself. The teachers have so much to keep track of they are not always aware of these things.

Pocohantasfan
07-08-2006, 01:36 PM
Here's my final post on this subject. I say, tell the teacher as soon as you can and then remind her/him when it gets a little closer. We're going in October which happens to be the week of fall break so there are 3 free days. We're coming back on Friday evening to give DD a couple of days to get wound back down and ready to go back. Incidentally, it'll probably be harder on myself and DH to go back to work :lmao: Plus there's always residual laundry to do. I am a little worried that the principal, who also goes to church with us might frown on us for taking her out 2 1/2 days but it's just a family vacation. He has said to me that he would not take his children out during the school year, but he is the principal for crying out loud. He has taken mission trips during the school year and his children went with him once last year (they are in jr. and sr. high). I may mention it to him on a personal level at church and ask what I need to do on the school level. Regardless, we're going, we're having a magical week, even if it kills us ( :rotfl2: ) and DD will have work to make up before and probably after the vacation. DH and I will also have to work our butts off before leaving and when we get back. Go for it.

bord1niowa
07-08-2006, 02:57 PM
Following is a letter to be sent to a school requesting an excused absence for a child to go to Walt Disney World. Now if you read this and still have doubts, then read it again.

DATE:

TO: [school official]

RE: [students name and vacation dates]

Please be advised that [student] will be out of school during the week of [date]. We ask that his absences be excused.

The reason for [student]'s absence is that our family will be out of the state during this week. While we are gone, we will be visiting Walt Disney World. We believe that [student] will be learning many things during this trip and that his education will continue in his absence from school.

Some things [student] will learn about:

* Different cultures of the world, including architecture, language, diet, and dress, by visiting the different countries in the Epcot World Showcase (Japan, China, Germany, Mexico, Norway, Canada, France, etc.) [student] will have the chance to explore the exhibits for each country and speak with natives from each country who work as cast members.

* American history by viewing the Hall of Presidents presentation in the Magic Kingdom and the American Adventure show in Epcot.

* Nature and conservation at Animal Kingdom.

* Science by exploring the Mission:Space ride in Epcot where he will have a chance to see and feel what it would be like to travel by rocket to Mars and by experiencing the Universe of Energy exhibit which teaches about fossil fuels, energy, and conservation.

* Economics by managing his own spending money and making budget decisions on how to spend his money.

[student] will also be learning about map reading by navigating in and to the different theme parks, as well as the resorts and water parks via the Disney bus system, sociological aspects of crowds including patterns and behavior, physics of the different rides, breakthroughs in technology at the Innoventions computer lab in Epcot, art and animation and the history of film, and mathematics.

We believe this will be a wonderful and educational experience for [student] and hope you agree not to charge him with unexcused absences as a result. If it is possible for [student] to take any assignments with him to be turned in when we return or to turn in before we leave any work that will be due while he is gone, please let us know as soon as possible.

Thank you for your attention to this. If you have any questions or need any further information, please feel free to contact me.

[Parent's Signture]

Now that is one great letter, thanks to another thread on here.

PRINCESSMOMX3
07-08-2006, 03:38 PM
In Sept 2003 my husband and I took my 14 year old niece out of school. She missed a whole week of eighth grade. We had a wonderful time. We got to spend the next to the last week of my nieces life at WDW. She died the week after we got home with 2 friends on a four wheeler 3 days after her 15th birthday. We had the best time and have the best memories to last the rest of our lives.....not to mention the pictures. Life is too short to fret over the small stuff.

Hope73
07-08-2006, 06:05 PM
I am taking my kids out of school for one week in sept 25-30. This is the fourth year we have done so. I know the school doesn't love you to do that but it just workd best for us. One week won't kill a school career. We just do some homework every day.

daisyduck123
07-09-2006, 01:51 AM
1st grade teacher here.....

I haven't read all the replies to your 1st post but here's what I think...

Please go & have a fantastic time!!! I pulled my DS8 & DD11 our for 5 school days in January & then again for 7 school days in May so that we could go to Disney twice. I know it was a little excessive but we had 2 WONDERFUL vacations!! It was worth it...we didn't experience any crowds & the weather was great.

Have a great time!! The teacher will understand.

abcboys
07-09-2006, 05:58 PM
I haven't read all the replies (up to the 3rd page). All I am reading about is taking your kids out when they do great at school. 1st graders reading at 5th grade level etc, etc. Does anyone take a child out that struggles in school. My 7 year old will be in 2nd grade this year and really struggled in first grade (the teacher wanted him to be held back but he is already one of the older students, will be 8 in Oct) Anyway he NEVER missed ONE DAY of 1st grade. In about 2 years when he would be in 3rd grade I would love to take a disney vacation (1st one for the kids) during the school year. I hate crowds and heat and would love to go during an off time. I was just wondering who takes their non-genius kid out of school for a vacation?

goofydad621
07-09-2006, 06:29 PM
and I have no problems about doing it either. I was raised being taken out of school every year for 1-3 weeks for the familoy vacation in the winter. It was the only time my parents could take vacation do to the family business. And I learned more fromthise trips then I ever would have in the time I missed in school.

GO enjoy and show your child the wonders of life.

LuvOrlando
07-09-2006, 06:52 PM
That's a hard call and one that only you, the parent, can make. I always tell my kids, who are into a whole lot of extra sports & stuff, that if their grades ever slip I'll pull them out of all the extras they like including vacations. However, in my situation I know what my kids can do and that slipping grades (at this point at least) would be due to being lazy, not actually struggling with the material.

If, on the other hand either of my kids began to actually struggle with their work (I think you can tell the difference) I might rethink my approach. Not everyone is good at academics and I don't think I would punish either of my kids for being who they are. Not everyone is meant to be a scholar and that is just the way it is.

I was always an honors student and I take education very seriously. I volunteer tutor quite a few kids who have genuine trouble with school work. My observation is that their self-esteem really suffers because of their frustration. Even worse is the fact that their relationships with their parents suffer too because parents absorb the frustration as well. It can be a lose-lose situation.

I don't think missing a little school is going to harm your child any more than I think that an extra week would solve all your problems. Any student who is away from school (including over the summer) needs to keep his/her skills sharp so what about making the learning fun? Here is some of what I do. How about having your child read through one of the guides with you and writing out a 'things to do list' before you go (reading comprehension skills and vocabulary) tell him that if he misses something you won't be able to do it to encourage his motivation? Have your son help you plot how to drive around with a map (spatial relations & math skills). Have him look over your budget with you to determine how much to spend each day on meals (subtraction). My favorite is taking along an Uno game to teach math skills while waiting for meals to be served. Finally, you can encourage him to write about his experiences in a journal with you each night, or you could even do this on the coloring book like place settings you get in WDW by having him color one side and write about the day on the blank side.

I'm sure that all the educators here are going to blast me for my point of view but the fact remains that not everyone is meant to be a scholar. Ultimately its up to you how your child is going to feel about himself when school is over and he's made his way out into this world.

torinsmom
07-09-2006, 07:19 PM
Actually, I think most of the teachers here, myself included, would say that it's up to the parent to make that choice. I'm taking my son out for a day to go in lats August, and if I could take more time off, we would be going for longer. I just think its important to give the teacher and school advance notice, so that they can inform you of their policies. As I said before, go in with a plan, and let them know what educational value the trip would have. Maybe use the letter posted a few posts back?

Marsha

brack
07-09-2006, 08:04 PM
My DS is now 33yo but would we would take him out to go on family vacations because we think this was as important to his development. He has done very well without having spent everyday in school.

donac
07-09-2006, 08:27 PM
As a teacher, I am jealous of being able to go other than the summer. If I took more than a long weekend I would be docked pay. I would like to my husband for a long weekend one Oct but we have never been able to coordinate it.

As a high school teacher I will tell you that only really good studenrts are able to handle taking time off. From my experience if I give some students work to do they probably won't do it because they don't understand what I have asked them to do. I also teach math which at the high school level is hard to understand without being in the classroom listening to the teacher and interacting with the students. Sometimes they can get away with it if is just before a long break but the they run the risk of missing a test which some kids never remember to take and the teacher is always after them to make it. It is not an easy thing for some classes and some grades.

JPN4265
07-10-2006, 06:16 AM
Taking your kid out of school to go on vacation? :lmao: :lmao:

mom2taylorandemily
07-10-2006, 07:57 AM
I live in Williamsburg, VA and we have a policy written into the absenteeism policy (albeit not many people know about, unless they ask, it is not advertised) that our students may miss 5 excused days per year for vacations, deaths, or necessity to travel for other incidents and such. It is not advertised because they don't want people to take advantage of it. We live in a very military populated area and it is not always convenient for kids to take vacations only in the summer, some of these kids have parents in Iraq, so they take vacations when mom or dad come home. This policy is there so parents can take their vacation without feeling bad. The only thing that is required is that you tell the teacher as soon as you know you are going. Some teachers only ask for a journal, and that they read while gone, but most will say, not to worry about it, and they will let the students make up the work when they get back. We are going in Dec. and I have the luxury of working in their school, so I will ask for their work in the beginning in Nov. that way, I can be working on it before we go and can be on target when we come back.

beachgrl001
07-10-2006, 09:04 AM
my ds missed the first week of school in sept. '02 He was starting 2nd grade, it didn't affect him at all. It turned out that All of the students had to do a report on what they did for their summer vacation so he had a great time doing that report!! I do agree with the posts that say its a personal decision, do whats right for you and your kids. I also belive that life is too short, time with family is more important to me than school. This is just my opinion, My son has always been an honor roll student, but i don't think I would feel differently if he wasn't.
Have a great trip :sunny:

nurseypoo5
07-10-2006, 09:08 AM
Honestly who is waiting for that one dis'er to drop the FLAME BOMB??? :rotfl:

Sneezie
07-10-2006, 09:30 AM
I haven't read all the replies (up to the 3rd page). All I am reading about is taking your kids out when they do great at school. 1st graders reading at 5th grade level etc, etc. Does anyone take a child out that struggles in school. My 7 year old will be in 2nd grade this year and really struggled in first grade (the teacher wanted him to be held back but he is already one of the older students, will be 8 in Oct) Anyway he NEVER missed ONE DAY of 1st grade. In about 2 years when he would be in 3rd grade I would love to take a disney vacation (1st one for the kids) during the school year. I hate crowds and heat and would love to go during an off time. I was just wondering who takes their non-genius kid out of school for a vacation?

My daughter has to work very hard to make average grades in school (she'll be going to 8th grade this year). We take her out of school for Disney trips almost every year, when we don't have a Disney trip planned, she gets perfect attendance. I don't think a week gone is going to make a big difference in the grades that he is getting now. He may actually be stimulated to do better in school when faced with all of the wonderful things he can learn at The World. With my daughter, we always notice an increase in her reading and better grades before a Disney trip. She doesn't want to miss out by bringing home an "F".

santonucci
07-10-2006, 09:43 AM
I was watching the news the other night, and they profiled this kid who had just graduated HS without having ever missed a day of school. Man, I felt sorry for him...

School is highly overrated by people as a measure of how successful someone will be. I graduated in the top 5% of my HS class, and the bottom quarter of my college class (engineering). I believe that learning is something that is available everywhere, and my wife and I constantly remove our kids from school if travel opportunites beckon.

My son has been to Disney during the school year several times. He tested in the top 1% of students in the country. We're going in January (and three weeks from now!)

The question is not "Should I..." but "How do I do this without impacting the work schedule?"

1.) Tell your school to prepare all of the work they will miss. After a day of running around, spend an hour. (yes, you can condense 7 hours of school into 1 hour of homework...)

2.) Make the trip "educational". Unless your kid is a stump, there are opportunities everywhere around Disney to "learn something". I have found that if you let the kids pick what is interesting to them, they want to learn.

3.) There are different things that school teaches you, but it's miserable at preparing kids for life. Whenever we travel, we encourage the kids to be outgoing, ask questions, and interact with people (since we're right there...). Social skills, adaptability to new environments, and learning "the rules" when they aren't written on the blackboard all trump times tables and outdated history lessons.

Here are a few examples of things we've done with our kids at Disney that I consider "educational":

1.) In EPCOT, there is an African Mask Carver named Andrew. We sat with him and watched him carve for a bit. Then my son told him how much he liked snakes, so Andrew carved him a snake. He let my daughter paint it. The whole time we were there, people came and went. We spent an hour. He told us about his village, toolmaking, the animals they carve...

2.) After dinner at the Floridian one night, we stopped and listened to the piano player in the lobby. My daughter danced. Yes, this is educational, since dance is something that people do long after they forget geometry. I'd like to see more arts available in the schools- and please bring back Shop!

3.) Replace Phys Ed with a day of walking around Disney and swimming- America has way too many fat kids and parents...

4.) Spend time with your kids- education is a parents responsibility, and the school is only a part of it. Best things my kids have ever learned came from me, not their schools...

Sorry for the ramble, but kids need to be kids first. As adults, we know what happens later!

Steve

EWR to MCO on 8/4!

LuvOrlando
07-10-2006, 10:44 AM
:thumbsup2 Go Steve :thumbsup2

jackson3000
07-10-2006, 01:10 PM
Well kids are entitled to holiday breaks. If he doen'st usually miss school, I can't see it doing much harm, and it's a great time to go, when you're a kid :banana:

jackson3000
07-10-2006, 01:17 PM
Besides, he needs to check out the Pirates of the Carribbean ride b4 the third movie comes out and they change it again :)

Mommyto2Princesses
07-10-2006, 02:24 PM
We also have a dd that will begin first grade in August. I know that school funding here in MS is based on the number of students that are actually at school. Therefore, I wouldn't let her just miss school for "no reason", but hey we're talking about Disney! :banana: We went 3 years ago for dd's 4th b-day and she had a blast - heck, we all did and I was 8 mo. pregnant - another dd - hence my screen name! princess: Anyway, I say go for it - we are!

We'll be in Disney October 6-13 - and can hardly stand the wait. :hourglass

MemoryMakers2669
07-10-2006, 03:28 PM
I have no issues with taking kids out of school for vacations. At some point if it is an issue for either of them, then we would stop doing it of course, but right now, my oldest is just going into the 1st grade, and we will be taking her out again this year for a week.

Denise Thies
07-10-2006, 03:34 PM
I am taking my son out of kindergarten for a week sept. 18th. I know he's just beginning but its his birthday and its kindergarten even though its much more advance then before I am nervous also about telling his teachers. I think I will tell them my father bought the tickets for my sons birthday and forgot he was going to school. A little white lie.

mom2taylorandemily
07-10-2006, 05:25 PM
I already have a response on page 7 of this thread, but I took the time to go back and re-read all the responses because I got an e-mail about a response to yours. I want to let you know that I am taking my girls out of school in December to go to Disney, but for DD6 it will not be an easy feat. She struggles in school, she was in reading recovery last year in first grade. She suffers from a Seizure Disorder and her medication causes her to struggle to stay focused and pay attention in her class room. She is easily distractable and unfortunately she suffers for it. We can't try new meds, because her seizures are currently being controlled, so we have to deal with her lack of focus. This also creates learning difficulties. If she can't stay focused she misses information in the classroom and her dad and I have to go over her work everyday to make sure she stays current in the classroom. So, we will have to work very hard to keep her on track while we are gone or work very hard to catch her up when we come back. So, I will be taking one out who falls into the accellerated level and one who learns a little differently. But she is still my precious gift from God. And we love her, genius or not.

littleelvis
07-10-2006, 06:00 PM
When I was in middle school back in the 80 my mom and dad took me out of school to go to Disney and I think it's one of my best memories as a kid! I have a ld (learning disability) but having the time of my life with my mom and dad and sister was very worth it! We took our ds out of kindergarten last Feb and we are taking him out of 1st grade feb 07. I think time with family so important, just make sure they don't miss a lot of other times during the year.

UtahMama
07-10-2006, 07:35 PM
Ohhhh..poking a hornet's nest is FUN!
We booked it 9 months ago for Sept. when my kids were previously OFF TRACK (on the year-round-school schedule) BUT now our school has switched to traditional schedule and the principal said "keep your reservations where they are! The'll learn more at say Epcot or AK then at school anyway...just bring me an Everest postcard"....COOL or what? They'll catch up on their homework just fine, I wont even PRETEND to tell you we'll bring it to work on on the plane!
To the origional question: Never ask if "this is bad?" because you do the best you can and that's GOOD!

deekaypee
07-10-2006, 09:55 PM
I'll weigh in with my two cents worth.

First, I think only you and your family can make this decision, in consultation with your son's teacher and school district policy....

Having said that, I do have a few suggestions/opinions concerning the educational opportunities of a trip to Disney.

First, I think how you handle his absence is an educational opportunity as important as any other. Being up-front with the school and the teacher is a lesson in ethics. Making up work in advance, being active in alternate lesson-plan-preparation, arranging for DS to provide his peers with a post-trip report (biography on Walt Disney, environmental lessons learned at AK, multiculturalism at Epcot, even business lessons in WDW's operation) are all ways to emphasize learning opportunities in non-scholastic settings.

Second, and this is related to the first, DS should probably try to complete much of his schoolwork before leaving as part of his vacation preparation. Adults have to do this when leaving work, and I truly believe it's a good model for children and adolescents to emulate. Doing so can also help manage family time while on vacation.

Third, parents should actively participate in the educational opportunities. It seems like a given, but parents participating in experiential learning sets an important standard. (Unfortunately, I've heard way too many adults say derogatory things about Epcot's educational experiences, let derogatory comments about museum, etc. Boring is a work I hear a lot.) In terms of active participation, perhaps the whole family could do homework on Disney prior to going--I can recommend some books if anyone is interested. It need not be Disney history, of course, but other texts. You could read and discuss American frontier history, read Tom Sawyer, study the Declaration of Independence, biographies of Abraham Lincoln, etc. If your son is interested in cars, he could study a history of the automotive industry. Fascinated by animation? There's a whole avenue of study. The possibilities are endless. In other words, you can extend the educational aspect of WDW to time outisde the parks and make it a family experience.

Fourth, don't be afraid to critique (in the best sense of the word, not just criticize) Disney and its educational aspects. It's a great place to raise questions about the complicated ethical issues of zoos and animal preserves. What about its representations of history and or nationalism? What about issues of money and how Disney exposes its cost or cloaks them? Now, I realize that only you can decide what discussions are appropriate for your son, in terms of your family's values, where he cognitively, etc. But Disney offers a strong opportunity to examine many academic subjects--like conservation, patriotism, economics--in action.

Fifth, and again related to the first point, I believe parents should emphasize that a vacation can be fun, it can be educational, it can offer opportunities for family bonding, but a vacation does not excuse someone from their day-to-day responsibilities. You need to return to your job, and school is your son's job. I realize this sounds repetitive, but I think it bears repeating.

A little background that informs my response: I am an educator at the college level and have been teaching for a number of years. Quite a number of students now tell me they're going on vacation (esp. spring semester) and will miss not only the official holiday break, but the week before or after. In addition, the number of students who believe they should not be accountable for work assigned while they're on vacation has increased significantly. I've actually had students tell me that it's not their fault that they have to take a certain flight out of town, because of budget or their ride or hotel reservations, and will miss the last few classes before break. These same students seem surprised when I inform them of the course policies established during day one--which generally means submitting all assigned papers in advance or by the due date (not afterwards), no make-up quizzes or in-class work, and no excused absences (just a set amount to use as they see fit; if they go over, they receive a grade reduction). I worry that these young adults have yet to learn a strong work ethic will carry these expectations over into the work force.

LuvOrlando
07-10-2006, 10:12 PM
Utahmama, I bet your principal was sprinkled with pixie dust as a child :wizard: ...maybe he/she even has a laminated lime green Mickey from HD attached to their brief case?

You are sooooooooooooooooooooooo lucky.

PS:
Socractes may have said "An unexamined life is not worth living" but I say " A life without joy is not worth living".

Vive la difference

GotFids
07-11-2006, 06:21 PM
This is the reason I can't decide on a date to go! We want to go to WDW in 2007, but my son will be a jr in HS. I have a 10 y/o dd that is home schooled
so there is no issue there. Going in the summer is not a real option for us as both of my kids get heat stroke/sun sick very easily. I know that we can't take my son out of high school for vacation. High School is just much more involved and missing even a week puts them behind. So I don't know why I keep putting off a date, when I know that summer is the only time we can do it! It's so frustrating.

Julie

Willowtrees
07-11-2006, 07:10 PM
I am taking my 2 sons - one in third grade and one in K from 11/25 until 12/6 so they will miss atleast a week and a half of school and I am fine with that. I in general think public school is over rated anyway. I will leave it at that :goodvibes

declansdad
07-11-2006, 10:13 PM
I am taking my 2 sons - one in third grade and one in K from 11/25 until 12/6 so they will miss atleast a week and a half of school and I am fine with that. I in general think public school is over rated anyway. I will leave it at that :goodvibes

ok I'll bite. Why is public school over rated?

daisy duck
07-11-2006, 10:46 PM
I'm taking my DD out the 2nd week of school and she will miss 5 days she is going to be 16. :thumbsup2

schlepsnort
07-11-2006, 11:01 PM
He's going to be in preschool and will miss two days and we plan on pulling him the next year when he's in kindergarten as well for another trip. But even this year I plan on having him make a travel journal, he's going to take his own pictures with a disposable camera and we will make a little book for him to take to school to discuss during sharing time. We will be seeing the AK so he can learn some new animals (he loves doing this). Plus we are going to get him Disney dollars and kind of talk basic ideas about how much, etc.
I think it is fine to take the kids out as long as your honest about it with the school/teachers and try to avoid taking them out for too long. One week is doable to make up work, but anything longer I think it is just too hard to catch up on the work, especially in a higher grade.

Have fun! They grow up just way too fast!!

Carol
ASMo 9/30/06 - 10/02/06 Free dining and FIRST Family Vacation EVER!! :banana:

Mommy to 3 Ds - 4, 2, and 4 mo!

LuvOrlando
07-12-2006, 12:11 AM
GotFids:

If your limited by when your DS is on a break then how about the week of Presidents day, or Spring Break. This way there are fewer absences AND teachers tend to loosen the rope a bit when their breaks are coming too so the loss won't be so severe? I know its crowded during those times of year but I think it's still better to be waiting on line when its cool out than to be waiting ALL DAY in the scorching sun like we did last year. Of course, some families dig the heat but we're not one of them... and neither are you guys from the looks of it.

hockeymomoftwo
07-12-2006, 12:18 AM
I will be taking my son out of early part of second grade. He has been reading alot and working on his math stuff all summer so I'm hoping that it won't be hard for him to catch up. I plan on discussing the trip with his teacher when we get back and work on a way to get some of the homework done in advance without him finding out. I am also going to have him do some projects and discuss with his teacher if she would like a presentation or something (epcot or kennedy space center). I think when they get older it becomes really hard for them to catch up no matter what time of year they go.

GotFids
07-12-2006, 01:02 AM
LuvOrlando:

That idea isn't too shabby! You are right that it does seem to be easier to catch up since teachers have a shorter week, I know he never seems to have testing or anything like that during 4 day weeks. I wouldn't feel quite as bad that way. Like you, we don't mind the lines as long as we aren't feeling sick from heat. Heat is overrated :sunny:

Thanks for the great advice!
Julie

JPN4265
07-12-2006, 06:09 AM
[QUOTE=deekaypee]I'll weigh in with my two cents worth.

Having said that, I do have a few suggestions/opinions concerning the educational opportunities of a trip to Disney.

First, I think how you handle his absence is an educational opportunity as important as any other. Being up-front with the school and the teacher is a lesson in ethics. Making up work in advance, being active in alternate lesson-plan-preparation, arranging for DS to provide his peers with a post-trip report (biography on Walt Disney, environmental lessons learned at AK, multiculturalism at Epcot, even business lessons in WDW's operation) are all ways to emphasize learning opportunities in non-scholastic settings.

:lmao: :lmao: Let's see taking the kid out of school to go on vacation, educational opportunity? Right. :happytv:

madcat
07-12-2006, 12:39 PM
my son goes to a year round school- his first day back was today as a matter of fact. we will be going the last week of september, they will be out for their first break then and wont have to go back until oct 9th. that is one advantage of that type of school system :thumbsup2 maybe you can tell the teacher as far ahead of time as possible and she can let you know what he will be missing. maybe you could take some of his work with you

ssleblanc
07-12-2006, 04:07 PM
I am taking my two sons out of school for our trip in September. I had no choice in the timing. This started as a business trip for me - I have to be there for a conference at Coronado Srings, we've been promising the kids a Disney trip since before the hurricane last year. My company pays my hotel at Coronado for 3 nights, airfare, food for 4 days, travel expenses (hotel parking, luggage/skycap tips/etc) because it is a business trip. How could I NOT take advantage of this opportunity? I added 2 more nights hotel, will have to pay the kids food, my food for the extra 2 days, park tickets, and the extra 2 nights hotel, and the kids airfare. Still MUCH MUCH cheaper than I had planned for the spring or summer of 2007.

This will be the third year my kids are at their school (oldest in 2nd grade, been there since K, youngest in 1st grade and went there for Pre-k, and K). The Pre-K through 1st teachers all know me very well, as does the principal and office personnel. I'm on the board of the PTA and very involved with the school. They know us as very dedicated parents, and made a big deal of the fact that my youngest had perfect attendance through Pre-K and K (didn't miss a single day - how he did that without getting sick even one day is still beyond me - but it happened). Our school is much smaller than it was before the hurricane, and they have been VERY accomodating.

I am confident that they will understand, and they also know that we will do everything we can to make this an educational trip. My kids are both science NUTS (my husband is a science professor) and can't WAIT for all of the Epcot stuff. Knowing them the way I do, I really thing Energy, The Land, and the Living Seas in Epcot will be their favorite experiences at WDW (the things so many other people find boring).

I am confident that it won't be a problem with anyone at the school - and I plan to inform them on the first day of school (or before at a school PTA meeting) so that there is plenty of notice.

(I sure hope I'm not disappointed in this - I don't want my bubble burst by a nasty look from a teacher, but I really don't expect that since we know the teachers so well already).

deekaypee
07-12-2006, 06:38 PM
I'll weigh in with my two cents worth.

:lmao: :lmao: Let's see taking the kid out of school to go on vacation, educational opportunity? Right. :happytv:

Well, yeah. I actually believe that vacations can be educational, like most of life's experiences. Although I admit that your phrasing certainly mines the statement for all its humor, :thumbsup2 especially since many people think of education as taking place only in school settings and an educational vacation as an oxymoron.

mlacreta
07-12-2006, 06:55 PM
Hi there. I think this may be an older post but I saw it and thought I would just share with you the we are also going to disney in september and will be taking our twins out of second grade for the first 2 weeks of school. You hear a lot of people say this is bad but really what we found last year with our school(maybe others are different) is that the first few weeks of school is spent reviewing and getting the kids into a routine so we don't think our boys will miss much of anything new. One is typical and the other is developmentally delayed and i think it took a few weeks before any of his school therepys even started. You can just ask the teacher ahead of time if anything new will be introduced so you can cover that but at our school they really don't expect the kids to master new lessons the first day so I don't think you should worry at all. Enjoy the time you have with your kids. Forget about having to make disney educational! Just have fun....you'll be glad you did!! I know we will!!

hrh_disney_queen
07-12-2006, 07:18 PM
I was watching the news the other night, and they profiled this kid who had just graduated HS without having ever missed a day of school. Man, I felt sorry for him...

School is highly overrated by people as a measure of how successful someone will be. I graduated in the top 5% of my HS class, and the bottom quarter of my college class (engineering). I believe that learning is something that is available everywhere, and my wife and I constantly remove our kids from school if travel opportunites beckon.

My son has been to Disney during the school year several times. He tested in the top 1% of students in the country. We're going in January (and three weeks from now!)

The question is not "Should I..." but "How do I do this without impacting the work schedule?"

1.) Tell your school to prepare all of the work they will miss. After a day of running around, spend an hour. (yes, you can condense 7 hours of school into 1 hour of homework...)

2.) Make the trip "educational". Unless your kid is a stump, there are opportunities everywhere around Disney to "learn something". I have found that if you let the kids pick what is interesting to them, they want to learn.

3.) There are different things that school teaches you, but it's miserable at preparing kids for life. Whenever we travel, we encourage the kids to be outgoing, ask questions, and interact with people (since we're right there...). Social skills, adaptability to new environments, and learning "the rules" when they aren't written on the blackboard all trump times tables and outdated history lessons.

Here are a few examples of things we've done with our kids at Disney that I consider "educational":

1.) In EPCOT, there is an African Mask Carver named Andrew. We sat with him and watched him carve for a bit. Then my son told him how much he liked snakes, so Andrew carved him a snake. He let my daughter paint it. The whole time we were there, people came and went. We spent an hour. He told us about his village, toolmaking, the animals they carve...

2.) After dinner at the Floridian one night, we stopped and listened to the piano player in the lobby. My daughter danced. Yes, this is educational, since dance is something that people do long after they forget geometry. I'd like to see more arts available in the schools- and please bring back Shop!

3.) Replace Phys Ed with a day of walking around Disney and swimming- America has way too many fat kids and parents...

4.) Spend time with your kids- education is a parents responsibility, and the school is only a part of it. Best things my kids have ever learned came from me, not their schools...

Sorry for the ramble, but kids need to be kids first. As adults, we know what happens later!

Steve

EWR to MCO on 8/4!

If there were a standing ovation smiley, I'd be clickin' on it right now!! :confused3 The thing that you said that caught my attention was about the kid going through school with perfect attendence. Every time I hear about a kid doing this, I always wonder why the big deal-he's really healthy and lucky not to miss any...I never saw that as a great accomplishment.

Your entire post is :thumbsup2 right on..

daisyduck123
07-12-2006, 08:00 PM
The thing that you said that caught my attention was about the kid going through school with perfect attendence. Every time I hear about a kid doing this, I always wonder why the big deal-he's really healthy and lucky not to miss any...I never saw that as a great accomplishment.

Let me tell you (I'm a teacher), just because a kid gets perfect attendance, doesn't mean he's been perfectly healthy. Ohhhhh!!! The stories I could tell about sick kids coming to school!!!

IMO...it will be a great day if school ever do away with Perfect Attendance.

hrh_disney_queen
07-12-2006, 08:44 PM
Let me tell you (I'm a teacher), just because a kid gets perfect attendance, doesn't mean he's been perfectly healthy. Ohhhhh!!! The stories I could tell about sick kids coming to school!!!

::yes:: I DO believe you!! I can only imagine these perfect attendance kids coming to school with .....well...I would rather not describe all the bugs they get...just to satisfy some parent's rather bizarre idea that perfect attendance is important...sounds more like an obsessive/compulsive disorder.

I mean is it really possible to go 13 years without being sick enough to stay home???

Your post made me laugh...one of the things I put in my Teacher's Care Package that I make at the beginning of the year is a can of LYSOL..and extra hand sanitizer! :rotfl:

hmmchowell
07-12-2006, 10:27 PM
I'm taking my DD7 on a "YaYA" (just us girls!!) trip this October for a week. She will miss three days of school and will be a second grader. She's a great student and it will be at the end of the nine weeks when review has probably just been happening anyway. She won't miss that much and will be able to make it up or get it early before we go. Don't feel guilty. Home school kids only go to school 3 hrs a day usually in elementary school. A lot of public school these days is just busy work anyway. I say go on the trip and have a great time!!

Pocohantasfan
07-13-2006, 06:29 AM

My child only had perfect attendance one time, which was the last 9 weeks. The reason was b/c she caught pink eye from a child that brought it to school. The stomach flu b/c several kids at school had it and she got lice once too, along with several others b/c it was winter time and everyone hangs their coats on the same set of hooks. :furious: I know we can't help or know everything, but I think I would know not to send my child if he or she had an oozing, watery eye that he or she couldn't keep her hands off of or if my child got up throwing up. IMHO :sunny:

LBelle
07-13-2006, 08:02 AM
In Sept 2003 my husband and I took my 14 year old niece out of school. She missed a whole week of eighth grade. We had a wonderful time. We got to spend the next to the last week of my nieces life at WDW. She died the week after we got home with 2 friends on a four wheeler 3 days after her 15th birthday. We had the best time and have the best memories to last the rest of our lives.....not to mention the pictures. Life is too short to fret over the small stuff.

My heart goes out to you and your family. What a sad, yet touching, story.

The above post reminds me that you NEVER KNOW what can happen in life from one day to the next. Yes, education is VERY important but I believe there is NOTHING more important than taking time out of life to enjoy with your loved ones. WDW WILL still be here tomorrow, next week, next month and next year BUT some of us may not be!

I am happy that princessmomx3 will always carry the memory of that special week in WDW with her niece and will never have to face the "I wish we could have...."I should have...."I never got the chance to... mind torture.

For me, in the big scheme of things, I could care less that my kids miss a week or so of school. I could care less about messing up school funding. I only care that we are able to fill our photo albums with the memories of all the good times we get to spend together! Life IS too short!!

"sing with me, sing for the years, sing for the laughter, sing for the tears, sing with me,, if just for today, remember tomorrow the good lord could take you away"

Dream On
Aerosmith

Pocohantasfan
07-13-2006, 10:20 AM

The above post reminds me that you NEVER KNOW what can happen in life from one day to the next. Yes, education is VERY important but I believe there is NOTHING more important than taking time out of life to enjoy with your loved ones. WDW WILL still be here tomorrow, next week, next month and next year BUT some of us may not be!

I am happy that princessmomx3 will always carry the memory of that special week in WDW with her niece and will never have to face the "I wish we could have...."I should have...."I never got the chance to... mind torture.

For me, in the big scheme of things, I could care less that my kids miss a week or so of school. I could care less about messing up school funding. I only care that we are able to fill our photo albums with the memories of all the good times we get to spend together! Life IS too short!!

"sing with me, sing for the years, sing for the laughter, sing for the tears, sing with me,, if just for today, remember tomorrow the good lord could take you away"

Dream On
Aerosmith

Here, here. Well said.

ssleblanc
07-13-2006, 11:41 AM

I agree totally!! I will NOT send my kids to school sick and it sure bugs the heck out of me when other people do. I just lucked out with my youngest the last 2 years. Actually, not sure that I would call it lucky - his illnesses (does any kid go through a year without them??) came during Christmas vacation, spring break, and the summer (oh - and he was sick when our schools were still closed from hurricane Katrina, they missed 22 days at the beginning of the school year). For pre-K, I didn't even realize he'd had perfect attendance until they told me at the end of the year. It isn't something I strive for, but my kids also know school is important and can't stay home because they "don't feel like going" (or are tired because they stayed up past bedtime talking in their room after lights out).

My youngest (the "perfect attendance for 2 years") kid came home sick (REALLY sick) the last day of school - because someone else sent their kid to school sick for a week.

I also think that my kids get sick a little less now because they were in daycare from the time they were 3 months - and they got sick a LOT. They've got lots of antibodies floating around in their bodies. :crazy:

ssleblanc
07-13-2006, 11:43 AM

Dream On
Aerosmith

What Pocohantasfan said ... very well said!!

torinsmom
07-13-2006, 11:48 AM
I agree totally!! I will NOT send my kids to school sick and it sure bugs the heck out of me when other people do. I just lucked out with my youngest the last 2 years. Actually, not sure that I would call it lucky - his illnesses (does any kid go through a year without them??) came during Christmas vacation, spring break, and the summer (oh - and he was sick when our schools were still closed from hurricane Katrina, they missed 22 days at the beginning of the school year). For pre-K, I didn't even realize he'd had perfect attendance until they told me at the end of the year. It isn't something I strive for, but my kids also know school is important and can't stay home because they "don't feel like going" (or are tired because they stayed up past bedtime talking in their room after lights out).

My youngest (the "perfect attendance for 2 years") kid came home sick (REALLY sick) the last day of school - because someone else sent their kid to school sick for a week.

I also think that my kids get sick a little less now because they were in daycare from the time they were 3 months - and they got sick a LOT. They've got lots of antibodies floating around in their bodies. :crazy:

Don't even get me started on parents sending their kids to school sick! Some of ours will be there an hour or so and we will look at them and KNOW they are not feeling well. Take the temp--yep 102, and then ask the question "Did you have medicine this morning?" Half the time, they say yes and it makes me so MAD! Not only should the poor kid be at home resting, but now the whole class is exposed to whatever they may have. We went through an epidemic of strep right before school went out and I am sure it started because someone didn't want to take a day off work b/c their child was feeling bad.

Marsha

Wickedmom75
07-13-2006, 11:53 AM
I have to say I am really proud of this thread for not getting extremely nasty :thumbsup2
Dh and I are taking our 4 kids to DW for 8 days in Spetember (yay free dining). We went last year and had a great time, our kids are 11. 10, 8, and 5 , The 2 oldest will be celebrating birthdays before we leave and the youngest will turn 6 on our 1st day( september is a really busy month for us ). Last year we went at the end of August due to DD11 starting 6th grade, but the other 3 did miss a week of school , the teachers were amazing no one gave them homework and I believe DD10 had to make up one test. This year when we go DD11 who will be in 7th grade will be missing 7 - 8 days , she goes to a regular calender year school and the others go to year round . She just barely passed 6th grade but we are still taking her out, this will only be our 3rd vacation and not by coincidence our 3rd trip to DW, but only the 2cnd time of having to take them out of school. I plan on letting her Teachers know the 1st day of school that we will be taking her out. Kids have to grow up so fast now and I want to hold on to their belief in Magic :wizard: for as long as possible I never know what tomorrow will bring .

ssleblanc
07-13-2006, 12:50 PM
Don't even get me started on parents sending their kids to school sick! Some of ours will be there an hour or so and we will look at them and KNOW they are not feeling well. Take the temp--yep 102, and then ask the question "Did you have medicine this morning?" Half the time, they say yes and it makes me so MAD! Not only should the poor kid be at home resting, but now the whole class is exposed to whatever they may have. We went through an epidemic of strep right before school went out and I am sure it started because someone didn't want to take a day off work b/c their child was feeling bad.

Marsha
I SOOOO know what you mean!! I have a friend who switched from using tylenol to advil with her kids so that it would last longer (she could give it to them in the morning and the fever would stay gone all day!!). THEY HAVE FEVER! The point isn't to keep the fever down long enough for them to make it through a school day un-noticed...it is to make them feel better while they stay home and rest. WHY send them to school so that the rest of the kids are exposed. GRRRRR ... at least I can comfort myself knowing my kids go to a different school, but I'm sure she isn't the only one doing this.

My company is GREAT about having to take off for sick kids. Sure I feel guilty, but I know that they understand. (Now, having said that - I came to work sick one day because I had huge pile on my desk - then went home because I was coughing so bad and the fever had reached over 103 ... yes, I knew I was sick and SHOULD have stayed home. Finally went to the doctor and had bronchitis. Then when others got the same thing - I felt HORRIBLE. I WON'T be doing that again. Why I have different standards for myself (and my poor co-workers) than I do for my kids ... :guilty: that won't happen again).

LuvOrlando
07-13-2006, 03:20 PM
I found out that my school district counts my kids as present as long as they are in for the 1st 15min of the day. As a result I often send my kids in (parent drop off) to exchange HW and get counted present and then pick the up from the Nurse ASAP( I rarely even go home and usually hang out in the office until they are done). Of course, teacher gets the heads up with a phone call and I don't send them in if they are REALLY ill, or have something contagious like Strep or Croupe.

bags6490
07-13-2006, 04:35 PM
we take DD out of school every year for usually one trip sometimes two. We always try to do it on weeks that there is a teacher work day or minor holiday. We are always honest about where we are going. We have to do a letter to the school saying what we are doing and what educational benifits DD will get from trip. With EPCOT and AK that is never a problem. Last year we did a book about all the countries in world showcase, comlete with flags and the little country fact cards that you can get from te cast members. Year before that we did animal photos and facts from AK. DD always enjoys that kind of stuff anyway.

Brian Noble
07-13-2006, 04:48 PM
Each year we take two "big" vacations: we go to Disney during the kids' mid-winter break (late Feb/early Mar), and take one trip to "somewhere" (usually the beach) during the summer.

It is true that the parks are more crowded, and the hotels more expensive, during our week than they are in, say mid-January. But, we've decided that this is just the price we pay for being parents. We aren't worried at all about missed work, but we do worry a little bit about sending our kids the message that you don't really have to go to school if something more interesting comes along. Given that both of our kids are the sort that don't mind taking shortcuts when they think it is okay, we think this is important.

If we absolutely couldn't vacation during school breaks, then we might choose to approach this differently. But, given that our kids have 15-16 weeks during the year when they aren't in school, it isn't hard at all for us to find *some* time that overlaps.

Figaro8398
07-13-2006, 06:08 PM
I have read through this thread and wanted to throw my 2 cents in. In an ideal world, my students would be at school every day. I also understand parents who want to give their children experiences outside of school, and a WDW vacation is an incredible time to spend having fun with family. (I would love to go to WDW more often - especially during value seasons - but I would have my pay docked!)
I appreciate all of the parents who are up front with the teachers and schools about where they are going and asking for homework. I just want to ask parents to please not be upset if teachers are unable to pull work together ahead of time. A lot of learning in the classroom can be planned ahead of time, but a lot of times, things don't go as planned. Some teachers are more comfortable giving make-up work after the students have returned. If this is the case, like many other posters, I suggest making your own assignments for your kids - journals are a great way to keep memories of your trips!

heartsy77
07-13-2006, 08:08 PM
I just had to throw in my two cents! We are taking our girls age 7, 10 out of school in Jan. We did this in 05 around V-day and it was fine. I know school is important, and my kids very rarely miss school. One of my friends is my step sons 7th grade Eng teacher. She was kinda tiffy about taking him out of school. I told her in this day and age family time was just as important as school. My kids all get good grades and missing a week of school is not as important as making memories as a family.

Fainfamily5
07-14-2006, 07:52 AM
Not judging, well maybe I am a lil or alot... But 7th grade, no makeup tests? That's a lil harsh don't ya think? It's not college it's grammar school. I am glad at my DD's school the teacher is required to have make up tests for all students regardless of there reason for absence (one of the pros about paying tuition is that I can dictate where my money is going ). I am sorry but I am a nurse and it is incredibly difficult for me to get off in the summer because alot of the old babes take their trips then and aside from that my hubby is a bricklayer and all his money is made in the summer so it is becoming increasingly difficult for us to get away at that time.

Okay I was with you until you said that teachers only work 9 months out of the year and not on weekends or holidays. WE work all year long most of us do. So far this summer I have been in several meetings, one all day long teaching conference and I have several other days planned to go up to the school and get my room arranged and meet with my planning partner to discuss year long plans all for no pay. I love doing it because I know my students will benefit in the long run so it is worth it to me. So please don't judge all teachers on one poster!!! Most of us work very hard and work with our parents to make sure your child gets the best education. I had two students go on extended trips last year. One was for 2 months. I spent my own time making plans and running copies so my student would not miss out. I wanted to do this. I do not agree with the other poster about not accepting making up work. Why punish the child. So please be kind to teachers we do work hard for little pay but the pay is not I do it!!!

LuvOrlando
07-14-2006, 08:23 AM
Very nice. You sound like my children's teachers. Our school district requires that I submit a form explainging the where & when of our trip and what the benefits will be. I send in the form as soon as I know when we're going and have never, ever had a problem.

Here is what I list as the benefits:

Epcot explores world cultures that my children would otherwise not be exposed to. Future world opens dialogue on things such as farming techniques and reproduction.

MGM explores cinematography, examines how animators put together the cartoons we see every day and de-mystifys the stunts my children enjoy in the movies we see.

Animal Kingdom makes children aware of endangered species, poaching and its effect upon our world. Further, it asks us to look into conservation & re-cycling.

The Magic Kingdom is a living part of our American History. Where else can I take my kids to see a real 'World Fair' exhibit? It even has a Tom Sawyer Island which introduces our kids to Mark Twain's books, a slice of American History all by themselves?

heartsy77
07-14-2006, 09:56 AM
I was just remembering, when I was reading over this whole thread, that I attended the same school as my step son! I remember the school having a fit when my parents took my brother and I out of school for 2 weeks for Disney. I was in 6th grade, about the same grade as my step son. My mother remembers them telling us that it was going to ruin our futures! Well I may not have a perfect life however, I run a successful business out of my home , and am I attending college. Not so bad I guess!! It just goes to show that nothing changes. My grandchildren's teachers will probably be irritated as well!

LuvOrlando
07-14-2006, 10:38 AM
How on earth could an adult say that 2 weeks out of school would ruin your future? If that were true than conversely 2 extra weeks in school would solve ALL your kids problems. Obviously, judging by the # of kids who end up in summer school more that once (me, Italian class, 16 & 17, 'nuff said) it just isn't that simple or EVERYONE would have a genius at home. Could you imagine what the world would be like without any variations, without any colorful people to enjoy? Uggh, life would be one long sit-com, No Thanks.

declansdad
07-14-2006, 12:36 PM
I was just remembering, when I was reading over this whole thread, that I attended the same school as my step son! I remember the school having a fit when my parents took my brother and I out of school for 2 weeks for Disney. I was in 6th grade, about the same grade as my step son. My mother remembers them telling us that it was going to ruin our futures! Well I may not have a perfect life however, I run a successful business out of my home , and am I attending college. Not so bad I guess!! It just goes to show that nothing changes. My grandchildren's teachers will probably be irritated as well!

As you can see on this thread alone, many teachers have not had a problem with parents taking their children out of school for a family vacation. From my experience, teachers get upset when:

1. The parents don't take responsibility or accept the consequences of taking the child out of school. This could include having to work with the child to get them caught up or dealing with the attendance policies that teachers have no say in.

2. They see a child who is struggling to get through class and the parents take them out for an extended vacation. The parents then expect the teacher to work on their own time to get the student through the year.

3. They are told the day before and the parent expects some type of homework package so that their child can keep up on his/her work. It takes more than a couple of hours to prepare a package.

Not all parents are like this and every situation is different. I don't think it is fair to say that all teacher will be irritates because yours was.

torinsmom
07-14-2006, 01:00 PM
Most of the time, it is the school district that has a problem with extended absences. That is why you should not only let the teacher know, but also let admin know. The teacher may not know the exact rule about absences.

Marsha

smep013
07-14-2006, 01:09 PM
I would never.

calypso*a*go-go
07-14-2006, 02:32 PM
I would never...not! :teeth:

I guess I'm a bad influence but I've taken my kids out of school for vacation at least once a year for every year they've been in school. And guess what, DD (13) is always on the honor roll and DS (11) has never fallen behind. My family has so little time together because of DH's work schedule (gone 15 hrs/day, five days a week) that I feel it's important for us to take advantage of the opportunity to go and have some fun (while our kids still want to!). We always notify the school ahead of time and ask the teachers if there's anything the kids need to do to in additon to their make-up work. We have never had a problem or a teacher that indicated it was unacceptable to do this. I know we have been very fortunate, but also realize our days are numbered once DD enters high school.

sbpuckett
07-14-2006, 02:36 PM
OK, I need to add something and I also have a suggestion I haven't seen yet. First, as a former HS English teacher, I had kids who missed all of the time. The last few days of every marking period was dedicated to make-up work and my advanced students who had no make-up work (or students who hadn't been absent) appreciated the time to work on assignments from other classes. I worked in a school system in another state that basically let the kids run the school. There were no deadlines, so if a kid didn't turn in the assignment they had infinite amount of time to turn it in (no, really, my principal even made me take work from a student several weeks after grades had been turned in, even though he had been there EVERY day and was not a special needs student!) Anyway, as a teacher I didn't have a choice on this matter but still would have given any child who asked their work (or as much as I could give them) ahead of time so that they could get it done on the plane or in the car or whatever. Believe it or not, students were even excused during Hunting season!?!

We are going on our first trip this October and my oldest will be in First grade. I will give his teacher and the principal a letter the first week of school and remind his teacher 2 weeks prior if I haven't received work at that time. I prefer the work ahead of time so that he can do that on the weekends before we go or something. Anyway, that early in the year I anticipate the majority of the work being review at this age (he didn't even learn anything new until almost Christmas in Kindergarten). I'm not the least bit concerned about whether the teacher or principal likes it - he's my child, not theirs. If he struggled in school I might not have the same opinion. My youngest will be in pre-school and will miss 2 days (about 10-15 assignments) and I will do the same with him. I already know the teacher will not have an issue as I've dealt with her previously through my older son.

Now, as an alternative suggestion and something I may do in the future. Considering that most work done 2 or 3 days prior to a holiday are normally make-up work and/or busy work (I know from experience), you might want to consider leaving 2 or 3 days before school lets out and go then. That way you will still beat the vacation crowds, you will probably beat a lot of the traffic, but your child won't miss as much instructional time. This should work for any extended holiday such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring Break, and Summer Break.

Whatever you choose to do just enjoy your vacation and time with your child. Don't worry so much about what everyone else thinks - that will only take away from your enjoyment and that's not fair to you or your child! Besides, if one week was truly that detrimental to a childs educational success, think about where all of those kids who end up having operations, sucumbing to all the illnesses, and everything else that happens in school, where would they be? :confused3 Anyway, if you're on this board reading this and contemplating, you're more than likely the kind of parent who is going to make sure your child catches back up anyway!

PrincessMo
07-14-2006, 02:43 PM
Wow, what an interesting thread. Firstly, I want to say hi to all the pa people here! There are alot of us!

Next I just want to add that no matter what whoever the parents are they need to be comfortable with whatever choice they make. On a personal note, I have been visiting WDW since I was 7 and have gone every year since....sometimes 2x and was taken out school to go. Now, having said that, every year both my parents and myself talked to each teacher each time well enough in advance and also made sure to get the work ahead of time if there was any. We now go every year early December and around that time at least here I think kids are thinking about Holiday vacation and also it is getting close to finals or midterms so it's alot of review. So, not a whole lot of new material which makes it easier.

But again you have to be comfortable with it. If you aren't, there are other times of the year to take your children to WDW. No matter what is decided, you can't go wrong going to WDW whenever you choose to go.

Have A Magical Day!

ItGirl753
07-14-2006, 03:44 PM
Now, as an alternative suggestion and something I may do in the future. Considering that most work done 2 or 3 days prior to a holiday are normally make-up work and/or busy work (I know from experience), you might want to consider leaving 2 or 3 days before school lets out and go then. That way you will still beat the vacation crowds, you will probably beat a lot of the traffic, but your child won't miss as much instructional time. This should work for any extended holiday such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring Break, and Summer Break.

I've already posted my opinion -- Go and have a great time! But I have to say that in my district things changed this year. They gave us such a strict schedule and pacing guide that many times we had tests on the days before vacation, even in first grade!!! And "busy work" for me was pretty much obsolete this year, as the pacing guide was so strict. In the past I used to count on having many kids absent and would plan on busy work rather than teaching new material! And, I would really appreciate parents asking for work ahead of time! If any ask, they seem to wait until the day before or the day they are leaving!!!

JPN4265
07-17-2006, 05:56 AM
If I had two cents for everytime someone said let me put my two cents in, I would have my Disney trip paid for. :rotfl2:

kkevcamsmom
07-17-2006, 11:23 AM
My DD 15 ran into her German Teacher for next year and while talking to her she mentioned she would be going to WDW in January. They teacher told her to reminder her two weeks before we are going so she can give her some homework that has to be done at Epcot in the Germany pavilon (sp??), she will be starting her 2nd yr of German and aced the first yr.

Her teacher had just gotten back, as it turned out, and she has certain things for our DD to do there :)

I think as long as you give the teachers notice, enough in advance, there shouldn't be a problem. But then maybe my school district spoils us, there are no set absent days or anything like that.

Hope you have fun on your trip!

Lori

LiLIrishChick63
07-18-2006, 01:31 AM
my DF's parents used to take him out of school for Disney a lot. they would always have a family member who had "passed on" every other year lol.

the good thing they did about it was they got all of his and his brother's homework and schoolwork for the week and had them do it during breakfast before they went into the parks so they weren't behind when they got back to school.

Evil Queen
07-18-2006, 02:02 PM
Have done this a couple of times, and will do it again in September.

This next trip will be the longest-5 days. Other trips have been only 3 to 4 days.

As long as he does well in school, it's not an issue. I will be informing his school the 1st day though this year, because he has 2 commitments (Safety patrol and morning annoucements) and don't want to mess him or the school up with finding someone to cover him at the last minute.