PDA

View Full Version : Dino - Land

Mrs Mouse
06-29-2006, 04:04 AM
What is it with Dino-Land ???
Is it me or is Dino-Land a waste of time and space???
It is just like a mini local theme park!!!
It is allways very hot and humid there!!
I don't see the point of it being there!!!
Is it only me or does anyone else not like it???? :confused3

:furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious:

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;29;118/st/20070723/e/going+to+Dino-Land+NO%21%21%21%21/dt/5/k/f8cc/event.png
(http://www.TickerFactory.com/)

Minniespal
06-29-2006, 04:06 AM
Personally I think it is a rather tacky part of AK.

CleveRocks
06-29-2006, 04:38 AM
I REALLY don't like it, either. I also find it tacky and a waste of space.

Disney wants it to look tacky, they want it to look like a traveling carnival, even down to the faded parking lot lines painted on the blacktop. I just think it's dumb theming.

Mrs Mouse
06-29-2006, 04:41 AM
I think that it rewins disney because it has no disney characters!! That makes it seem like it's not in disney. It doesn't have the Disney atmosphere.

4chitlins
06-29-2006, 04:47 AM
I think that it rewins disney because it has no disney characters!! That makes it seem like it's not in disney. It doesn't have the Disney atmosphere.
Hello people it is for the kids! They love it!

Mouse House Mama
06-29-2006, 04:53 AM
Amen! DH and I say it's like a parking lot with rides! No shade and all pavement. It is not fun for the kids when they are melting into the pavement! :faint:

pixie dust 112
06-29-2006, 06:34 AM
I hate it :sad2: . My teenage daughter loves it. :thumbsup2

Our family rule is if the kids want to play the carnival games, they have to use their own money.

MeandMyBoys
06-29-2006, 07:41 AM
I'm not a fan of Dinoland either, simply because it is really hot there with no shade. We picked one of the hottest days of the summer to visit AK last August and we were dying!! The boys loved Primeval Whirl and Triceratops Spin, so I'm sure that we'll be there again this August, probably on one of the hottest days of the summer again!! :crazy:

AngienLuLu
06-29-2006, 07:45 AM
I am not a big fan of Dinoland. The only reason we went there during our trip was to get on the Primevil Whirl.

~LuLu

Binkrin
06-29-2006, 09:47 AM
That's what it's supposed to be! Kitchy Carnival. They totally did it on purpose because they wanted it to have and "Americana" feel. I realize it's not for everyone, but kids love it. Kids like dinosaurs, they threw some in...

Don't take things so seriously! :banana:

kerry34
06-29-2006, 09:54 AM
As the above poster stated it was made that way purposely. The kids love it and that to me is what matters most. If the kids are having fun then I will put up with the tackiness.

TinkInPink
06-29-2006, 09:59 AM
I don't like it mainly because of the high priced carnival games! If they took those out I may be able to live with it, but those games are what I don't like going to carnivals for and don't IMO belong in Disney. Take out the games and it would be just ok.

Those games to me are the most unDisney thing in all the parks.

vascubaguy
06-29-2006, 09:59 AM
We don't care too much for that area either. We only go over there to ride Primevial Whirl, then we make our way over to the Dinosaur ride... that's about all we experience over there. I guess they were trying to come up with a way to tie the dinasour concept into the park... can't really have a safari ride of dinosaurs, so throw in a "carnival" that is dino-themed. Perhaps over time that might be revisited? - but when we go over there it does appear that the kids enjoy it... I might be more inclined to participate in some of the carnival games if the "prizes" were more Disney related...

But they have the "games" type theming at Disneyland over at DCA... but it never seemed that popular there too where it looks like a much more upscale carnival...

CleveRocks
06-29-2006, 10:00 AM
That's what it's supposed to be! Kitchy Carnival. They totally did it on purpose because they wanted it to have and "Americana" feel. I realize it's not for everyone, but kids love it. Kids like dinosaurs, they threw some in...

Don't take things so seriously! :banana:
An excerpt from my May 2005 Trip Report:

I was really disappointed with Chester and Hesterís Dino-Rama. In a word, it looked ďjunkyĒ to me. I know itís supposed to look like a kiddie-carnival area (complete with midway/boardwalk-style games), but it came off looking like a parody of a carnival rather than a re-creation of one. Disney is so successful because it takes itself very seriously and does everything to the Nth degree; IMHO, Chester and Hesterís area is kitschy, and Disney doesnít do kitsch well.

LizzySwan1022
06-29-2006, 10:12 AM
I hate it :sad2: . My teenage daughter loves it. :thumbsup2

Our family rule is if the kids want to play the carnival games, they have to use their own money.

I agree with your teenager! It's fun, this one tome I won a giant green dinosaur named Binky!

tarheelmjfan
06-29-2006, 10:31 AM
IMHO, Disney had 2 reasons for this concept. They wanted to add to a park that was in desperate need of attractions & wanted to figure out a way to make money on it. After all, they are in the business of making money. So, the Imagineers sit down & put their thinking caps on. :scratchin :idea: "I know, we'll create a carnival theme with a couple cheap rides, & add some revenue making games. We'll tell people it's supposed to look cheap & tacky, because that's part of the theme. They'll buy into it, because Disney Execs. said so & because the parks are all about theming." Problem solved!!! Very little money spent & games to replinish what was. "Now, people can quit complaining that AK needs more attractions." The concept doesn't seem to be working that great in DCA & it doesn't even look as tacky there. You can find that type of ride & carnival games in any carnival or theme park you go to. There's nothing unique about it, which goes against what makes WDW the special place it is. I'm starting to think they need to bring some of the older Imagineers out of retirement. Stitch is yet another example in lack of creativity.

4theloveofdisney
06-29-2006, 10:51 AM
Our kids liked it. To each his own! :confused3

Sue88
06-29-2006, 10:54 AM
I don't mind the look of this area but I would like it better if Disney didn't do the midway games. The games are the worst part of a carnival so I am suprised Disney wanted to recreate that.

yanners
06-29-2006, 10:55 AM
My son did but I'm with the others who say that the carnival games should have been taken out. I also don't think that it "fit in" with the park. The atmosphere seemed off to me.

It was probably the only place we visited that us adults did not have as much fun as the kids. :confused3

mking624
06-29-2006, 10:56 AM
I really don't like it. First, I'm not a big fan of the carnival theme. If that was all it was, I'd be ok with it. After all, it does have appeal to some people (particularly kids). But what I really hate is the carnival atmosphere. I hate walking by the games and the CMs trying to convince us to play them. I don't come to WDW to be pressured into playing/doing anything. That's what I really like about WDW as compared to our local Six Flags park, for example. That's the part that makes me really dislike that area.

tarheelmjfan
06-29-2006, 10:59 AM
When I was a kid, I liked the local Carnival too. Don't most kids? A visit to the local Carnival is much cheaper than a visit to WDW. JMO :)

goalie5hole
06-29-2006, 11:01 AM
What is it with Dino-Land ???
Is it me or is Dino-Land a waste of time and space???
It is just like a mini local theme park!!!
It is allways very hot and humid there!!
I don't see the point of it being there!!!
Is it only me or does anyone else not like it???? :confused3

:furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious:

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;29;118/st/20070723/e/going+to+Dino-Land+NO%21%21%21%21/dt/5/k/f8cc/event.png
(http://www.TickerFactory.com/)
It's a carnival!!!!! And that Primeval HURL, BLAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

mking624
06-29-2006, 11:03 AM
A visit to the local Carnival is much cheaper than a visit to WDW. JMO :)
Yes, it's cheaper than a visit to WDW...BUT, the thing is that you're now IN Disney.

BeckWhy
06-29-2006, 11:04 AM
First of all, I don't know how it can be more hot and humid in one second of WDW and not be the same everywhere else. I understand there being no shade... but that doesn't change the fact that if its 80 degrees with 90% humidity in Dinoland it will be the same temperature and humidy anywhere in WDW.

I will say, I think "Chester and Hester's" thingymajig is opposite of what the Animal Kingdom is supposed to be. I could understand Dinosaur, but I though AK was more like a nature reserve... not a carnival. I do love Primeval Whirl, don't get me wrong.

jme829
06-29-2006, 12:31 PM
Our kids love Dino land...especially the fossil dig and the play ground. Great way for them to burn off some energy while waiting for others to ride Dinosaur.

We don't care one way or the other about the games, we just don't play them. Kids know to not even ask, so its not a big deal.

CleveRocks
06-29-2006, 03:50 PM
First of all, I don't know how it can be more hot and humid in one second of WDW and not be the same everywhere else. I understand there being no shade... but that doesn't change the fact that if its 80 degrees with 90% humidity in Dinoland it will be the same temperature and humidy anywhere in WDW. I can't comment on higher humidity, but I can tell you for sure that asphalt and concrete absorb and in turn give off more heat than earth and plants. On a hot and sunny day, particularly a day with little wind, if you stand on a school's ballfield, and then go stand on the large parking lot next door, you'll be a lot hotter on the parking lot than on the ballfield.

Inside any WDW park, I can't think of a larger and more uninterrupted stretch of paved area that Chester and Hester's Dino-Rama. On a micro-climate level, it can be described in meteorological terms as a "heat island."

the john
06-29-2006, 04:03 PM
It reminds of a old playground by my grandmas house

Mrs Mouse
06-30-2006, 11:27 AM
[QUOTE=BeckWhy]First of all, I don't know how it can be more hot and humid in one second of WDW and not be the same everywhere else. I understand there being no shade... but that doesn't change the fact that if its 80 degrees with 90% humidity in Dinoland it will be the same temperature and humidy anywhere in WDW.

It's the concrete, no shade, they don't sell propper drinks and fans !!

I think that animal kingdom was made and then they just shoved Dino-land on the side as a fun-fair. You could stay home and go to a carnival and pay a few pounds OR you could go to WDW and pay alot of dollars for exactly the same! :smooth:

saschuster
06-30-2006, 11:45 AM
My little one loves it and as long as he is happy I am happy. We did love to see Lucky walking around and we were able to get up really close to see him. The Dino dig has lots of shade and it was a good place for us to sit and catch our breath while my son played in the sand.

agnes!
06-30-2006, 11:46 AM
I like the fossil dig/play area & Dinosaur!, but I do NOT like Chester & Hester's Dino-Rama or it's theming/atmosphere, in general.

If I want a Six Flags, then I'll GO to a Six Flags!

If I want a carnival, then I'll just GO straight to some travelling carnival.

Why should I waste my price-y Disney admission when I could get in to something else for a lot less AND it would be the REAL tacky experience, not just a re-creation (and a cheaply-done one at *that*). Put the theming around Expedition Everest up against the Chester & Hester's theming - IMO it's pretty easy to see where Disney spent some actual time and money.

agnes!

EeyoreFan1
06-30-2006, 11:48 AM
I only like Primeval Whirl, they should just move that one ride smewhere else, and use "Dino-land" as something USEFUL!!

EeyoreFan1
06-30-2006, 11:50 AM

Me and my little sister HATE it, except that ONE ride.. :confused3

twinklebug
06-30-2006, 12:03 PM
If Disney imagineers see a need for this atrocity in an otherwise beautiful park so be it. I won't be found wandering around it with my kids because it is so hot and tacky.

I would strongly suggest that disney add some sort of shaded seating (and maybe a water misting feature) to this area though as there are many parents & grandparents who want their kids to experience this are and NEED a place to park it out of the heat.

graygables
06-30-2006, 12:20 PM
Not that I care for Dinoland, but my DDs ADORE the dino stuffies we won there in 2004. The trick is to agree that everyone in your party plays and try to hit it when no one else will join you. For us, it was $8 per kid well spent. (the more players, the bigger the prize). They each got about an 18", high quality (not typical amusement park junk) dino.

For the record, I also got a trip to the nurse's station with the first known whack-a-dino injury at AK. :lmao: I guess I was over-zealous b/c I had a HUGE blister on the entire pad of my thumb. Moral to the story...let DAD win!

IwasatWDWforamonth
06-30-2006, 12:27 PM
I love the games
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e88/hopesoap1234/842f3d93.jpg

BeckWhy
06-30-2006, 03:24 PM
I can't comment on higher humidity, but I can tell you for sure that asphalt and concrete absorb and in turn give off more heat than earth and plants. On a hot and sunny day, particularly a day with little wind, if you stand on a school's ballfield, and then go stand on the large parking lot next door, you'll be a lot hotter on the parking lot than on the ballfield.

Inside any WDW park, I can't think of a larger and more uninterrupted stretch of paved area that Chester and Hester's Dino-Rama. On a micro-climate level, it can be described in meteorological terms as a "heat island."

It's the concrete, no shade, they don't sell propper drinks and fans !!

I think that animal kingdom was made and then they just shoved Dino-land on the side as a fun-fair. You could stay home and go to a carnival and pay a few pounds OR you could go to WDW and pay alot of dollars for exactly the same! :smooth:

Wait first of all.. what covers the ground in all other areas of WDW? Isn't it pavement of concrete anyways? For the most part? I don't know I never stare at the ground that I walk on. And if other areas are covered in pavement or concrete then they would be hotter too. Right?

I never took into consideration the ground covering would add to the heat. It does. I never realized that it was paved or concreted and not made of any other ground covering. So yes this would add to the heat. But it wouldn't raise it intensively.

For Mrs Mouse: Again shade doesn't change the temp and humidity outside. It may create a cooler region for the time in which you are standing under it. Lastly fans and proper drinks ALSO do not change the temp or humidity outside.

Corinne
06-30-2006, 04:54 PM
It is, without doubt, the tackiest place in WDW :rolleyes2

CleveRocks
06-30-2006, 07:52 PM
Wait first of all.. what covers the ground in all other areas of WDW? Isn't it pavement of concrete anyways? For the most part? I don't know I never stare at the ground that I walk on. And if other areas are covered in pavement or concrete then they would be hotter too. Right?
WDW has asphalt and concrete all throughout. But as I said in my post, Dino-Rama has the largest uninterrupted expanse of "hardtop" in all of WDW's parks, as far as I can tell. Everywhere else there are "roads" and sidewalks, but they are relatively narrow and are surrounded by landscaping, water, etc.

And if you don't think it would make a significant difference. If you ever get the chance to watch baseball, check out the fact that ballparks with artificial turf (a thin carpet of plastic spread out over concrete) have much hotter fields than do ballparks with natural grass and dirt. This gets highlighted every summer during numerous televised games.

4theloveofdisney
06-30-2006, 09:07 PM
I hate local carnivals and that is why I don't mind if my kids play a few carnival games in a Disney park where there are carnival games. We also like the areas in Busch Gardens and Sea World in which there are carnival games. Our kids love this and the love being challenged to try and win - and they usually do win something. It's huge in their book. It doesn't rock our boat but it IS fun for them! :cheer2:

Local carnivals make me worried for safety reasons, worried about some of the people working there, worried about the condition of food, and are such rip-offs when it comes to many games. Have you ever seen the oval basketball hoop illusion? :rotfl:

We like the carnival themes at the parks for the very reasons I stated. It's fun for the kids, and you can skip it if you don't agree. Disney isn't exactly shoving this area down your throat or shoving this theme at you in any other park or in any other area. You can bypass it if you like. You are not made to go there, walk through there or pay to play. :goodvibes

I personally just don't get what the hype is about this area. Dh and I thought "Huh"? when we first went there too. But we chalk it up to yet another unique Disney experience. That's why you can stay or eat in Africa or Mexico if you choose. That's what makes Disney unique in it's planning. :love:

And...why aren't you complaining about the carnival games on the Boardwalk? I guess upperclass Deluxe resorts can get away with it because??? :confused3

lorrainesy
06-30-2006, 11:22 PM
I was very disappointed when I first saw Dino land.....it is like a tacky local carnival. If I wanted that type of intertainment I could go to a local carnival or our state fair. I never visit this part of AK. I avoid places like this at home, i will not spend valued Disney time there. Not to mention it is the HOTTEST place in all of WDW, I could not find any shade there unless I was in line for a ride or playing a game. :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

lorrainesy
06-30-2006, 11:24 PM
Amen! DH and I say it's like a parking lot with rides! :faint:

LOL!!!! Tht is THE BEST description of it, so true

ImagineEar
07-01-2006, 05:13 PM
Another Don't Like it.
I think the Imagineers who came up with this concept are the same ones who came up with the theme for California Adventure. Didn't like that either. Seems more like a Six Flags than a Disney Theme Park. :confused3

byoung
07-01-2006, 05:59 PM
We love Dino land.

debbi801
07-03-2006, 10:04 AM
Another Don't Like it.
I think the Imagineers who came up with this concept are the same ones who came up with the theme for California Adventure. Didn't like that either. Seems more like a Six Flags than a Disney Theme Park. :confused3

I agree completely. IMO, it would be better suited to DTD if it was needed at all.

DH and I were talking about it during our last trip. I think that area would be better suited for another country's animal experience (like Australia's Outback or South America's Rain Forests). Keep to theming like they have for Africa and Asia.

momandseandodisney
07-03-2006, 11:44 AM

That is what I think, I like it becuase we (DS8 and I) LOVE primeaval whirl :cool1:

miranda1979
07-05-2006, 07:02 PM
i like dinoland but mostly for the dinasour ride. that is my favorite!

CrazyChik
07-06-2006, 12:27 AM
i like it coz it has primeval whirl and dinosaur never really noticed a temperature difference though

Allie in Wonderland
07-22-2006, 05:51 PM
If walt saw this he would roll over in his grave sincee it looks like a carnival.

mytwinklestar
07-22-2006, 11:13 PM
We had a real "carnival" issue during our visit Dec 05. We played the toss the ball in the colored cup game in Dinoland. I forget now the exact colors but the sign said, "Gold cup = LARGE PRIZE". I actually took a photo of the sign - have to find that one. Anyway, we all played the game three times - our ds wanted the large dino. Finally after the three of us paid for three turns, ds (just turned 8 yrs old) won! He was so excited - UNTIL - the cm said the sign was wrong. She said there was one "silver" (again, not sure of the color) cup that was a surprise - and the only cup that won the big dinos hanging all around the booth. The "LARGE PRIZE" was not what he thought he had won afterall. DS was upset - I became irate. Was I still at Disney or had I made a wrong turn and ended up at a cheap carnival that baits and switches to make you spend more money??? As my son left the booth with his head hung low and very disappointed, I was rambling to my husband about how disgraceful this experience was for us - a CM at a pin kiosk asked if she might help. I explained what had happened. This CM was WONDERFUL. Sadly, the "supervisor" called by her was anything but!!! He spoke down to us as if we were trying to make over on one of his games. I explained the situation - he said the cm at the initial booth should have explained "before" we played - and said the sign was legit because the person winning the "LARGE" prize was indeed surprised - so he would "give" us the dino. He was awful. My son was tickled to get the prize any 8 yr old would have thought was rightfully his - by reading the sign and making so many attempts. This guy truly acted like he had to pay for this dino out of his pocket. (Though we could have purchased this cheap dino four or five times with the money spent trying to win it) For this reason we are not big fans of Dinoland. We visited again in Feb and will be back in Sept - and trust me, we will AVOID the carnival type games. NOT Disney quality at all! What a shame!!!

Unregistered
07-23-2006, 09:31 AM

I'm with you! My girls loved it. I have to admit, I was against going here but my husband said to keep an open mind about it. It ended up being a pleasant surprise and we all enjoyed ourselves. It was the most relaxing of the 4 parks we visited.

mrstbalt
07-23-2006, 09:32 AM
I just posted above, didn't realize that I was not signed in

declansdad
07-23-2006, 09:46 AM

exactly!!!

the john
07-23-2006, 09:49 AM
I know it's tacky even my 3 year old cousin thinks its dumb.

tammy1210
07-23-2006, 10:01 AM
mytwinklestar - that's horrible! Definitely NOT Disney. I hope it was a one-time thing.

DS was 4 when we were there - this is the part of WDW he talks about the most still! I've got to agree that the games are over-priced, but both kids had a blast there, so I know we'll be back!