PDA

View Full Version : Impressions from my first visit offsite:

JoyG
06-27-2006, 06:18 PM
This was our first stay offsite in a vacation townhome rental and I just thought I'd post some impressions for others considering it:

The Good:

1. The accommodations were awesome. We got a "too good to be true" deal on our townhome. $500/week at Emerald Island (including taxes) for an entire home. The house was immaculate and well furnished. We really enjoyed being able to spread out.

2. Drive times were fine! I don't know if it was the schedule we keep or what but we really never hit the kind of traffic I read about on the boards and guidebooks (I always left the house by 7am, maybe not rush hour?). It took about 1 hour to drive to Universal, park and be standing at the front gates waiting for it to open. I remember alloting about an hour last summer at WDW to walk to the bus stop, wait for and catch the bus, and be standing at the front gate. So I really didn't see much of a time difference.

3. Souveniers are cheaper off of Disney property. Lots of big souvenier shops around. They all sell the same thing and they're cheaper than buying Tshirts from Disney or Universal. The quality is not exactly the same, but I have tons of Disney stuff from last summer so I didn't need much.

4. I saved sooooo much money on food by eating at home and packing a lunch to take with us!

The Not so Good:

1. The area scenery is cheesy! This is funny, but last summer I never got off Disney property and I drove to and from the airport in the dark. I didn't really see what I got to see this time. Huge Mermaids and Wizards on the top of buildings... :crazy2: Emerald Island is beautiful, but the 192...yuk.

2. I mentioned this on another thread, but Emerald Island is really quiet...It's not a bad thing per se, but I enjoy getting to know other vacationers and chatting with them around the pool...having the kids play together etc. There really wasn't alot of that going on.

Overall, I would definitely rent a vacation home again. I enjoyed our stay and we saved alot of money.

Serene
06-28-2006, 05:03 AM
How did you get your great deal?

Robinrs
06-28-2006, 07:54 AM
Great review, Joy... boy am I in agreement about the decor on I 192... UGH! My son had me take a picture of that purple wizard some years ago, he LOVES it! Kids....! :rotfl2:

That was a great deal and glad you had a good time.

JoyG
06-28-2006, 11:58 AM
How did you get your great deal?

Here's a link to where we stayed. I would stay there again!

They raised rates since I booked (but only by a little bit).

http://www.vrbo.com/88111

tednvon
06-28-2006, 12:26 PM
Ahhhhhhhhh, Highway 192

beauty is the eye of beholder...

I must admit it is always kind of fun to see good old 192 after being away for a while...The wizard, the mermaid, the big fat Elvis balloon, the now gone Dragon by Splenid China, the blue blue water falling from the Minigolf place, the "FREE DISNEY TICKETS" signs in 20 different little dumpy looking places, and a few nice looking places.
Looking at the traffic and remembering what it was like with just two lanes and then the construction for 20 years!!! (that might be a little exageration)

Remembering when there was one traffic light between Disney and Highway 27!!!

So, I know it is god awful glitzy, but it does mean that Mickey is just down Sherberth Road a piece...

and Peace!!

Ted

MOMTOMOOTOO
06-28-2006, 12:33 PM
I know what you mean about being too quiet. We stayed 2x in WIndsor Palms and as great as it was having the space and private pool, we all missed the excitment of a resort.

DisneyMarathon
07-05-2006, 11:03 PM
Hi,
Glad to hear that you had a wonderful stay on your first offsite. I also stayed offsite for the first time recently. However, I was not comfortable at all. The owner of the condo sent me a LOOOOONG list of do's and don'ts after I signed the contract. I felt that I had to tiptoe around the condo because I was afraid that I would break anything. Needless to say, I will definitely NOT rent from this owner again.

isla bonita
07-05-2006, 11:13 PM
Just a little information about EI town homes from and owner so I know a little bit.

There are 2 sections of town homes. One is outside the main gate not sure why they built it that way? The second is inside the main gate and there are 2 pool areas. The one right in back of the clubhouse is usually hopping. Maybe a little to much as I hear lately. Some one complained and said it was real busy the same day I read this first post. My caretaker and I laughed about it. She was the one who told me she over heard it at the club house and I told her I had read it on the forum on the Dis.

Just a little information so if you choose to book you might ask about were exactly it is located. Just a little FYI for the future.

JohnnySharp2
07-06-2006, 12:26 AM
2. I mentioned this on another thread, but Emerald Island is really quiet...It's not a bad thing per se, but I enjoy getting to know other vacationers and chatting with them around the pool...having the kids play together etc. There really wasn't alot of that going on.

Overall, I would definitely rent a vacation home again. I enjoyed our stay and we saved alot of money.

Probably one of the few disadvantages of staying in a vacation home is the isolation factor, sometimes it can be a bit too quiet.
However, the advantages are plentiful.

JoyG
07-06-2006, 08:50 AM
I found out I was in the section outside of the maingate...so I'm sure that was a factor in how quiet it was. I enjoyed my stay anyway and the grounds and townhome were beautiful. And we didn't have much competition at the pool in our section!

kilee
07-06-2006, 08:58 AM
I am glad you had a nice time. The Emerald Island area is in great proximity to the WDW parks. That was also a really great rate you got. :)

MaMa3Princess
07-06-2006, 02:20 PM
JoyG,

We love our stay at EI. Oh, how I miss those dolphins. I am seriously wishing I was there now. Your boys are adorable and I am glad you had a great time offsite!!

UKDEB
07-06-2006, 02:43 PM
Remembering when there was one traffic light between Disney and Highway 27!!!
Ted - you're old! ;) (Me, too :goodvibes ).