PDA

View Full Version : Davenport area question

kimbac3
06-26-2006, 04:27 PM
I know someone on here said they had some knowledge about this area. I wanted to if there is any where that is open 24hrs where I can get milk. If not I'll grab it in the Kissimmee area.
Thanks!!
Kimba

Sammyjo
06-26-2006, 04:47 PM
At this place :

Publix Super Markets:
2424 Sand Mine Rd, Davenport, FL, United States

:sunny:

kimbac3
06-26-2006, 04:57 PM
At this place :

Publix Super Markets:
2424 Sand Mine Rd, Davenport, FL, United States

:sunny:

Wow! That was fast!! Thanks!!!! :cool1:
Kimba

safetymom
06-26-2006, 05:15 PM
I don't think the Publix is open 24 hours though. There is 2 Super Wal Mart's on 27 where you can shop 24 hours.

I live in the Davenport area.

kimbac3
06-26-2006, 07:09 PM
I don't think the Publix is open 24 hours though. There is 2 Super Wal Mart's on 27 where you can shop 24 hours.

I live in the Davenport area.

I'll be coming down 27 so I should happen across the SuperWalmarts correct? We won't be getting into town until midnight, so thats why I'm asking. I really appreciate your help. We are staying at The Abbey at Westhaven. It sounds nice, I sure hope it is. Do you know the area?
Thanks,
Kimba

JANNYANS
06-27-2006, 12:57 AM
If you are heading south on 27 from the Clermont area -you will hit Wal Mart at a set of lights called Cagans Crossing .There is a Bank of America on the corner where you turn left at the lights and the Wal Mart is behind there.
If you are heading from 192 east I would suggest you stop at a Walgreens -there are a couple on 192 .

Christypl
06-27-2006, 06:29 AM
Hey Safetymom...I live in Haines City!

safetymom
06-27-2006, 08:13 AM
Hi Christypl, I love it here in FL. Are you originally from FL or did you move here too?

Christypl
06-27-2006, 08:37 AM
I was born and raised here. I moved around with the military a while after I married, SC, NC, Cuba and HI. Then we settled back here after retirement. Sadly though we are moving to GA in a week. This area has changed so much in the last 25 years.

safetymom
06-27-2006, 05:28 PM
Sorry to hear you are leaving the area. I can't imagine what it must have looked like 25 years ago. I know it has really changed in the 3 years I have been here. Wow a native Floridian. Sure isn't too many of them around anymore.

kimbac3
06-27-2006, 05:58 PM
If you are heading south on 27 from the Clermont area -you will hit Wal Mart at a set of lights called Cagans Crossing .There is a Bank of America on the corner where you turn left at the lights and the Wal Mart is behind there.
If you are heading from 192 east I would suggest you stop at a Walgreens -there are a couple on 192 .

Thanks!! That's just the info I needed!! :thanks: :disrocks:
Kimba

Christypl
06-28-2006, 06:29 AM
True...all the natives are moving to GA!

horseshowmom
06-28-2006, 05:25 PM
I was born and raised here. I moved around with the military a while after I married, SC, NC, Cuba and HI. Then we settled back here after retirement. Sadly though we are moving to GA in a week. This area has changed so much in the last 25 years.

Traveling down Hwy. 27 is really strange. I remember how much we used to enjoy all the orange groves on our way to my parents' place in Winter Haven. Not too many of the groves left now...

Ted and Holly
06-29-2006, 08:50 AM
Traveling down Hwy. 27 is really strange. I remember how much we used to enjoy all the orange groves on our way to my parents' place in Winter Haven. Not too many of the groves left now...

Groves are dropping like flies. It is no wonder though. The family that owned many of the groves along 27 are enjoying a comfortable retirement.

A grove owner can make as much money from the sale of their grove as they made from their entire orange crop combined.

Christypl
06-30-2006, 09:39 AM
My family is one of the families that sold our groves. They are Bowen Brothers Citrus. Our family has since started a lot of groves in Costa Rica. This area is not what it once was...not worse...just different.

safetymom
06-30-2006, 09:45 AM
The orange groves on 27 was one of the things that attracted us to this area. Every time my adult daughter sees another grove gone she yells SAVE THE ORANGES. I understand why it happens but it is a shame to see the trees gone.

I would have loved to live in the area when there were more groves.

spiceycat
06-30-2006, 09:53 AM
we have been going since 1972 and boy the orange groves have decreased each and every year.

then along 27 it was mostly orange groves - now it is development, malls, apartment, etc....

oh well change is good :confused3

you know I think I brought oranges from your grove it was pass where US 27 and US 192 right???? or am I totaled mixed up....

but I really miss the oranges, too - it just smelled and felt so different....

Christypl
06-30-2006, 12:02 PM
That was us!!!!!!
It is sad to see the trees gone. If you travel further into Polk County you will see more. I spent many winters picking oranges or smoking groves (not smoking as in puff puff but where you light gas heaters to keep the groves from freezing.) It was a way of life for my family for 4 generations. It is old Florida and is often missed by the tourist. I'm glad to see that some of you have taken the time to notice.

JANNYANS
06-30-2006, 12:08 PM
My community is next door to one of the few groves left-I hesitate to use it as a land mark as i never know how long it will be there :sad2:

Ted and Holly
06-30-2006, 12:15 PM
We are lucky to have an active grove bordering our back yard. But like Janny, I am afraid of how little time it might have.

Ted

alexcturner
07-02-2006, 02:46 PM
Hi Kimba, yes, do stop on 27 at one of the 24 hour places for milk etc.

Not to worry, The Abbey at Westhaven is very nice!

Also, the closest supermarket to you will be the Publix on Champions Gate. (Along with restaurants, a convenience store and more.) (To get to Champions Gate Blvd, ) Turn right when leaving Westhaven. At Champions Gate, (just a short distance about a mile)turn left. You will pass the Publix and everything else. Then I-4 will be directly in front of you. Turn left to go to Disney, Celebration etc.

If you need any other help, just pm me. ( I have a house in the Hamlet at Westhaven)

kimbac3
07-02-2006, 09:20 PM
Hi Kimba, yes, do stop on 27 at one of the 24 hour places for milk etc.

Not to worry, The Abbey at Westhaven is very nice!

Also, the closest supermarket to you will be the Publix on Champions Gate. (Along with restaurants, a convenience store and more.) (To get to Champions Gate Blvd, ) Turn right when leaving Westhaven. At Champions Gate, (just a short distance about a mile)turn left. You will pass the Publix and everything else. Then I-4 will be directly in front of you. Turn left to go to Disney, Celebration etc.

If you need any other help, just pm me. ( I have a house in the Hamlet at Westhaven)

WOW!!! Thanks Lisa!! :wave: I just may be PM-ing you with some questions.
Kimba

alexcturner
07-02-2006, 10:19 PM
Hi Kimba, No problem, I would be glad to help. Also, let me know how you like Westhaven. (I think you will love it....)