PDA

View Full Version : Carry on luggage ONLY?

K9pal
06-26-2006, 02:08 PM
DH and I are flying to Orlando for a week in September. We’ve been driving the past several years, so I’ve become a “throw it in the car in case we need it” person. And we tend to overpack anyway.

Am I crazy to even think about making it a week with just our two carry on bags? We’re flying in, renting a car for 2 days to visit my folks, then spending the next 5 days in a DVC resort and return to the airport via Magical Express. So we’ll be able to do laundry and pack a few less clothes. Since we’ll have a rental car for the first 2 days, I figure we can buy many of our toiletries in trial sizes once we get there, plus whatever snacks and food items we’d normally bring with us. I also use the big ziploc bags, roll our clothes and squeeze the air out to maximize space.

It would be SO nice not to have to deal with checked luggage, especially returning since we’re not flying on a DME qualified airline. Anyone else tried this? Did you regret it? Any suggestions? And if the airline (SW) allows "one personal-type item" in addition to one carry on bag per person, can my DH bring a soft-sided briefcase containing clothing/toiletries as his personal-type item??
Thanks for the advice!

MickeyMonstersMom
06-26-2006, 02:22 PM
The Dkids and I have managed with one carry-on each for the last few week-long trips. Each of us chose a different color wheeled bag (we look like a bag of Skittles, actually - one red, one lime green, and one purple!) and I make sure to pack only as much as we need. I bring coins for laundry in case of accidents, but have yet to make use of them. We also bring backpacks that hold books as well as toiletries - and my hair dryer. I see no reason why the airline would not allow a briefcase.

Beckles
06-26-2006, 02:22 PM
It would be SO nice not to have to deal with checked luggage, especially returning since we’re not flying on a DME qualified airline. Anyone else tried this? Did you regret it? Any suggestions? And if the airline (SW) allows "one personal-type item" in addition to one carry on bag per person, can my DH bring a soft-sided briefcase containing clothing/toiletries as his personal-type item??

The only advantage to not checking luggage is time savings on arrival in Florida and return home and possibly in not having to check luggage at the airport, but if you have to stop and pick up boarding passes anyway this advantage is somewhat negated (though SW does have boarding pass only kiosks).

Now, what are the disadvantages to not checking bags ... limited amount of stuff you can bring with, need to buy stuff on arrival and/or do laundry during trip, and not to be underestimated, you then have to tote that carry-on through the airport, including through security.

I've come to the realization that checking bags really isn't that bad, I find navigating the airport to be much more comfortable in general when I don't have to deal with my rolling carry-on, this is without even considering the fact that I don't have to cut back on my packing too much.

bucky1023
06-26-2006, 02:24 PM
I've gone on many trips with just carry on (Disney included). You will be fine and it is so much easier to just be able to bring your bags on and not have to wait to get them. Since you have the car for the 2 days you can pick up any major items instead of packing them (shampoo, sunblock etc.) and even get detergent to do your wash. :laundy:

As for you DH bringing a extra bag, that shouldn't be a problem. If the flight is packed he may have to keep it at his feet. My only advice is not to buy to many extra gift or else yo may not fit in you carry on.

Good Luck and enjoy!!!!

Desnik
06-26-2006, 02:40 PM
We were like you and use to driving down to WDW, and just take everything because we had our car and could fit it all! This past May was our first time flying, with kids, no rental car and staying at DVC resort. I was panicking with how we were going to get all our stuff there, and the logistics of the airport travel with 2 kids in tow! We were also determined to have only carryons. We did it and would do it again! First what really helped was I shipped down ahead of time a box containing snacks, breakfast items, water shoes, swim diapers and some toiletries. I knew that we would be able to do wash so I tried to keep clothing to a minimum and rolled all our clothing. My kids are 8 and 3 and they each had their own carryon, the kid size with a charater on it type. They also each had a backpack with things to keep them occupied for the plane ride. I had a carryon and backpack, DH had a carryon and a laptop bag that he was able to fit the laptop, PSP, Ipod and cell phone chargers in. We also had a stroller we gate checked. We all were responsible for our own stuff and even my 3yo wanted to be "a big boy" and handle his rolling luggage! It was too cute! Anyway I totally think you can do this with no problems at all. Especially since you will have a car for the first couple days and you can buy your toiletries and snacks while you are there! We did it with 4 people for a 9 day stay!!
Good luck!

justplaingoofy
06-26-2006, 02:47 PM
Yes, he can bring his carry on bag and his briefcase type thing. We've done that before and brought a backpack.

On the return if you buy too much you can always carry on a disney plastic bag and check one of your suitcases :)

FlyingBelle
06-26-2006, 02:52 PM
I recently bought a gigantic purse at Target- which fits soooo much stuff. I always put an extra pair of undies, a t-shirt, and as much of my toiletries in it as possible (just in case). If the gate areas look really full and I'm not in one of the 1st boarding groups, I ask the gate agent if I can gate-check one of my carry-ons. That way I don't have to worry about finding a place for my rollie bag.

abeyst
06-29-2006, 12:11 PM
Me and the 2 kids usually go with just 2 carry ons. One for the kids toys and toiletries (yes, I make them carry the shampoo!) and everything else goes in the other. You should have no problem with doing carry on only.

ZoZo
06-29-2006, 12:56 PM
One thing to think about: You may be forced to gate-check your carry-on anyways!

I recently did a four-day weekend to Arizona, and only had one carry-on. Due to the fact that so many people bring the maximum size carry-on bags, the overhead compartments were completely full and about 15 to 20 of us had to gate-check our carry-ons.

I had to do a last-minute scramble to take things out of my carry-on, because I didn't want to put my medications, camera, other valuables, etc. in the bag they were checking. I had also purchased a glass hummingbird feeder (which would have been fine if I'd carried on my bag), so I had to take that out and find a bag to put it into. It was quite a hassle!

pezheadmeg
06-29-2006, 08:23 PM
:teeth: I've been forced to do the same as ZoZo on several occassions. The lesson I've learned is that I always pack the essentials in a smaller bag within the carryon. If I need to do a last minute gate check, out come the valuables in a bag that without question wil fit under the seat. Who knows when I'll be on a plane again with someone pushing the carry-on limit that boards before me. :rolleyes:

Dina
06-29-2006, 08:45 PM
One thing to think about: You may be forced to gate-check your carry-on anyways!

I recently did a four-day weekend to Arizona, and only had one carry-on. Due to the fact that so many people bring the maximum size carry-on bags, the overhead compartments were completely full and about 15 to 20 of us had to gate-check our carry-ons.

I had to do a last-minute scramble to take things out of my carry-on, because I didn't want to put my medications, camera, other valuables, etc. in the bag they were checking. I had also purchased a glass hummingbird feeder (which would have been fine if I'd carried on my bag), so I had to take that out and find a bag to put it into. It was quite a hassle!

This happened to DH and I on a trip in January 2004 (usairways). Too many people had big carryons, and flight was completely booked-- anyone whose carry on was a rolling bag had to check it (they put tags on them and took them with the strollers that were gate checked). Luckily DH and my carry ons (at the time) didn't have wheels, so we were allowed to put them at our feet (we only had carry ons, so it would have stunk to have to check them).

CleveRocks
06-29-2006, 09:28 PM
I WISH I could fly with just a carry-on. GO FOR IT!

cosine4
06-30-2006, 02:16 PM
I find it so much more convenient to check my luggage. It really doesn't take that much extra time and you don't have to lug your bag through the airport and onto an already crowded plane. It can be quite amusing to watch people struggling to get their bags into an overhead bin.

we3disneygo
07-02-2006, 10:38 AM
:confused3 :surfweb: we have done both, it's much easier to get thru the airport with out the carry on, dh is set on checking luggage this time, for the reason that you may not have the room and have to check your bag anyway!

shades
07-02-2006, 11:12 AM
I can't do carryon only for 5 days - but, dh can. I ALWAYS overpack - but, am getting better with more Disney trips;)

As far as saving time - yes, you will at the airport - but, you will also take time away while at your Disney resort when you have to do laundy. I'd rather check the bag - which, is really easy & pretty quick with the self-check-in counters, and then collect it at the other end. The only advantage I see to hand-carrying everything is if TSA rifles through your bag - you are witness to it. I had a friend bring a bag of coffee beans from Hawaii and not only did TSA tear open a factory-sealed bag - they dumped the beans out into the suitcase.

englishteacha
07-04-2006, 05:01 PM
I found that I can fit 6 outfits, and extra undergarments in my small rolling carryon suitcase. However, I had NO room for anything else. The airline we flew allowed one carryon and a small personal item, and my backpack holding my other things was too big as a personal item. We ended up checking the small suitcase and a larger duffle bag, with a smaller duffle bag inside the large one. We bought quite a bit of stuff so the small duffle bag was a blessing to hold the goodies we bought. So, I say, if it fits in a carryon, go for it, but bring another bag just in case. We did do laundry midweek just because it's easier to pack clean things than dirty ones, even though we had enough clothes.

SnwflkCts
07-04-2006, 06:04 PM
Gate check means you pick it up as you leave the plane, right??? It doesn't go to the baggage claim area or does it? I don't fly all that often but was just curious. Once, on an overnight stay to St. Louis, the airline put a tag on my bag and I put it on this special area as I boarded and then it was on a luggage rack as we got off the plane -- small plane.

I can use a carry-on (and one other big tote) for a week -- it is my DH that cannot. But in his defense, he is a BIG TALL Guy and his shoes (size 14) take up too much room to pack much of his big clothes! Also, he does try to take too much -- so big size clothes, big shoes, and that one extra shirt (gotta pack it!) make a carry-on a bit difficult.

But I am going to try and get him to do it on our short (4 day) trip in the fall! :teeth:

m4travel
07-04-2006, 06:20 PM
I've come to the realization that checking bags really isn't that bad. I find navigating the airport to be much more comfortable in general when I don't have to deal with my rolling carry-on -- this is without even considering the fact that I don't have to cut back on my packing too much.
Thank heavens, Beckles, there's someone else who understands the concept of checking baggage.

On a recent trip from Burbank to Oakland, the passenger ahead of me did not check her bag and then asked me to put it in the overhead bin for her (it was too heavy for her to lift). I nearly refused (don't pack more than you can heft!), but my mother's voice made me smile and lift it up for her. I didn't even suggest that she check it in the future; what restraint!

I get a bit grumpy when other passengers' oversized bags are carmmed into the overhead bin space and my little carryon has to go under the seat ahead of me, taking up all the foot space. I could easily turn into the baggage Nazi for the airline!