PDA

View Full Version : Hyatt grand cypress or swan/POR for honeymoon?

Disneytrip
06-22-2006, 10:34 AM
As you can see in my signature Swan has been our home away from home the last few winters. We are getting married in Feb. but have a special promotion deal with free flights if we book at the Hyatt grand cypress. Should we go for this deal or splurge some (since we are having an intimate wedding) and stay at the Hyatt. Is the Hyatt as nice as the Swan and as romantic? TIA!

spiceycat
06-22-2006, 10:43 AM
you judge

http://grandcypress.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp?icamp=hyattgrandcypressredirect

It is as old as the Polyn and Cont at Disney.

but I have always wanted to stay here.....

utahkennedys
06-22-2006, 11:09 AM
We have stayed at the Grand Cypress twice, once a year ago and once in 1999. We LOVED it in 1999, but I have to say, we didn't love it this time around. The decor hadn't changed (it needs to be updated in the rooms), but the grounds were still gorgeous. The pools are beautiful and it is very romantic there. I know you don't spend tons of time in your room at Disney, but I expect more now...the baths don't even have a separate vanity, it's just a tiny bath...We do like it there though, and I haven't stayed at the Swan before so I can't comment on that. The Grand Cypress does have a very nice, tucked away, private atmosphere. There aren't as many kids around either, more business people, the two times we've stayed. I should mention too that the first time we went, we didn't have kids. This last time we had dd3 and maybe that made the difference for us?

Red-Snapper
06-23-2006, 02:37 PM
Stayed at the HRGC a few times :)

Very nice resort. Huge grounds, gardens , statues, ducks & swans. Enormous pool with waterfalls etc. lake with boats and jogging/bicycle trails as well as a nature reserve area.

Rooms are fine but have a very small walk on balcony. If you get a pool view room you can watch the firework displays across Disney each night.

Not being on Disney property it is pretty much a Mickey Mouse free zone - which you either want or you dont :goodvibes.

Along with the Ritz Carlton it is the best off property hotel in WDW area.

Anything else you want to know just ask/pm etc

CarolA
06-23-2006, 04:51 PM
Having stayed at both... Hyatt is a much nicer hotel. Swan is a better location... Good luck!

ilovepcot
06-27-2006, 10:01 PM
You may want to consider the Gaylord, too. :teeth:

AC7179
01-24-2007, 10:16 PM
Let me know what you decide.........we're staying there in April.

happymommy
01-25-2007, 05:59 AM
We originally stayed at the Hyatt Grand Cypress for our honeymoon, Sept. 1993. The room was a drab business hotel room, no balcony, and the staff couldn't care less that we were on our honeymoon. We went over to the GF, asked to see a room, and were blown away by how the friendly the staff was. They had a walk in rate, so we packed up after 3 days at the Hyatt, and next morning checked out. I even told the staff that we were leaving early because they were so rude - they didn't care! Got into our room at the GF at 9:30 am, and loved it! Ordered coffee from room service (this was a splurge as we were newly married with almost no money) but the way they brought it was so sweet - set a tablecloth on the little table, handed me the paper (I'm in the plush robe) put water and a flower on the table, and poured the coffee for us. It was like - okay no we're really on a honeymoon! We even tried to change our return flight home to stay at the GF longer, but we couldn't afford the change fees for the flights. It was 4 nights of heaven after 3 nights of feeling like we were on a business trip.
It is a hard call if you have free flights. If you have to stay at the Hyatt, maybe you can get an upgraded room or a suite, or something. I'm sure a lot has changed in the almost 14 years since, but I felt the Disney hotel had such magic.

f7prez
01-25-2007, 08:49 AM
Hyatt is a romantic place. Its a gorgeous hotel with lots of room to roam.
It is perfect for a honeymoon. It is also very close to WDW.

As you know, the location of the Swan is awesome. We stayed at the Dolphin and absolutely loved it.

If it is not a big deal to be off or on Disney property, I would suggest going with a hotel that you have NOT done yet.

Congratulations:thumbsup2

Brian Noble
01-25-2007, 10:20 AM
I think, on a honeymoon, being "in the world" would count for a lot. I agree with maybe skipping the Swan, though, because you "always go there".

How hard would it be to *really* splurge and stay in a Disney deluxe? You only honeymoon once. (Well, once per spouse, anyway ;))