PDA

View Full Version : OT--bought ebay cell phone -no charger

pilgrimage
06-21-2006, 09:49 PM
I bought a cell phone to replace mine which broke.
I paid using paypal within an hour of auction's closed.
It's 2 year old model, with less than 60 hours use, according
to the description.

When it arrived today, it had no charger. I cannot use it. I wrote
the seller to please mail it.
The seller said that there is none, but that he probably
should have put a disclaimer that there is none.
He suggested looking on ebay for a charger.

Well, my local stores are not selling for this older
model. I have 2 other sizes of Motorola chargers,neither
of which work. Ebay has some for about 10 dollars
including shipping.

I feel I have a recourse for buying a product which I can't use
and can't even test for its functionality within the 3 days allowed
for comment.

ADVICE, please. Thank you. I have 7 years of 100% positives.

rainy~daze
06-21-2006, 09:54 PM
I would ask the seller to refund your money and return the product based on the fact he omitted an extemely pertinent detail. If he refuses, you can go through paypal and dispute the item, that it can't be tested to be certain it is in working order as described and that he failed to list all necessray details in his auction. But I'd give him a chance to rectify it before doing that. I think it is 45 days to file with paypal, anyone know for sure?

tmt martins
06-21-2006, 10:29 PM
Did you check Walmart or Target they always seem to have older chargers for around $10 .
If the auction stated just phone or didn't state charger included then you might have trouble filing a claim.Also if you have a Flea Market that permenent they always have chargers at those as well.

drgnfly30
06-22-2006, 05:33 AM
What model is it for?... I have an old Motorola charger lying around here somewhere....

Ladybugsy
06-22-2006, 06:52 AM
I have an old i90c. I've had it for several years. I can get car chargers and regular chargers for it at Walmart. Just look on the back of the package and find your phone. Shouldn't be a problem. :thumbsup2

pilgrimage
06-22-2006, 08:03 AM
Thanks for your ideas. Target does not carry one for
this older model, but I'll give Wal-mart a try. It is
v90x.

Thanks.

summerrluvv
06-22-2006, 08:10 AM
If it wasn't in the listing that it included the charger, why would you assume it included one?

tpayne
06-22-2006, 08:15 AM
Thanks for your ideas. Target does not carry one for
this older model, but I'll give Wal-mart a try. It is
v90x.

Thanks.

That might be the kind that I had last. I'll check when I get home tonight and let you know. If I can find the charger I'll mail it to you. Let you know soon.

MyZoeJane
06-22-2006, 08:16 AM
I agree... assuming it had a charger was your fault. You should have asked before you bid if the auction did not mention one. Live and learn! ;)

nephthys43
06-22-2006, 08:35 AM
personally, i would file a SNAD claim with paypal. that way it freezes the money in his account and holds it until he either comes up with the charger or refunds you. you most likely will have to return it WITH delivery confirmation in order for paypal to return your money to you. it's not your fault he didn't word his listing correctly.

summerrluvv
06-22-2006, 09:07 AM
personally, i would file a SNAD claim with paypal. that way it freezes the money in his account and holds it until he either comes up with the charger or refunds you. you most likely will have to return it WITH delivery confirmation in order for paypal to return your money to you. it's not your fault he didn't word his listing correctly.

What? Why on earth would a seller be at fault if the listing didn't list say a charger was included and the buyer expected one? Did the picture show a charger? No. Read Read Read the listing before you bid on something.

MyZoeJane
06-22-2006, 09:11 AM

This is simply ridiculous! Don't spread inaccurate info or unfair suggestions, please! It makes selling on Ebay difficult for those of us who understand and follow the rules! :crazy:

nephthys43
06-22-2006, 09:26 AM
This is simply ridiculous! Don't spread inaccurate info or unfair suggestions, please! It makes selling on Ebay difficult for those of us who understand and follow the rules! :crazy:

but it's not inaccurate info. the seller himself told her that he forgot to say it wasn't included. if i had done that, i would have immediately offered a full refund if the phone was returned to me. i would never tell a buyer to go find it herself. i've been a seller and buyer on ebay for 5+ years. i know the rules as well.

summerrluvv
06-22-2006, 09:31 AM
but it's not inaccurate info. the seller himself told her that he forgot to say it wasn't included. if i had done that, i would have immediately offered a full refund if the phone was returned to me. i would never tell a buyer to go find it herself. i've been a seller and buyer on ebay for 5+ years. i know the rules as well.

Yes the seller said he forgot to say it wasn't included But it wasn't listed on the auction so why would you assume it was included?

nephthys43
06-22-2006, 09:47 AM
so why would you assume it was included?

because when you buy a cell phone from any other place, it comes with a charger. like when you buy a pair of sneakers, you assume they come with the laces.

if the seller listed this as a working phone in his listing but does not have a charger; how does he know it works? and as rainy~daze states, it cannot be checked to see if it is in working order without charging it. how else would pilgrimage check to see if it is in fact a working phone and not some piece of junk the guy just wanted to unload.

if she doesn't manage to find a charger for it before the 45 days is up, what recourse would she have then?

summerrluvv
06-22-2006, 10:00 AM
because when you buy a cell phone from any other place, it comes with a charger. like when you buy a pair of sneakers, you assume they come with the laces.

if the seller listed this as a working phone in his listing but does not have a charger; how does he know it works? and as rainy~daze states, it cannot be checked to see if it is in working order without charging it. how else would pilgrimage check to see if it is in fact a working phone and not some piece of junk the guy just wanted to unload.

if she doesn't manage to find a charger for it before the 45 days is up, what recourse would she have then?

Ebay isn't like every other place. Every other place doesn't sell used items. Perhaps the guy tested it with his own charger from the same model phone or a friends charger. His auction didn't state it came with a charger. I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I would never assume something is included if it's not listed in the auction. That's like buying a dollhouse and assuming the furniture is included or buying a coloring book and assuming you'll get crayons, or buying a blow up pool and assume you'll get an air pump, and the list could go on.

ceecee
06-22-2006, 10:01 AM
I would not have assumed it had a charger UNLESS the charger was listed as well or in the photo. That's why they let you ask questions before buying. I sold a VERY popular remote control type toy at Christmas (Brand new in sealed package) and the guy was mad it didn't come with a battery. He knew the ones sold at TRU did not have batteries but thought this one would...why? The photo showed the battery not included sign on the package yet he still complained. He got $100.00 toy for $50.00!
Back on topic, we have gotten several chargers on Ebay and they were very inexpensive.

wdw_dine_junkie
06-22-2006, 10:05 AM
Check Staples as well. I just bought another charger for my older Motorola. They had many kinds of chargers there for just about every model.

DMRick
06-22-2006, 10:05 AM
Actually he said he should have put a disclaimer..but he really didn't have to. Some people buy their phones on ebay, because they have all the other parts, and have no use for another charger...it's just the phone that no longer works. It's really up to the buyer to check what is included, if something isn't mentioned in an auction. The "rules" say, you have to have what you advertised..and he didn't advertise a charger.

nephthys43
06-22-2006, 10:30 AM
all i know is that i read this guy's auctions and i smell scam. he works for a company who sells other people's item on ebay, yet he says everything is his or belonged to someone in his family. he states that the phone has been in storage for "a year and a half" and that it "works great". he then states that he's not responsible if it doesn't work. it just seems like a bait and switch to me.

rainy~daze
06-22-2006, 11:32 AM
all i know is that i read this guy's auctions and i smell scam. he works for a company who sells other people's item on ebay, yet he says everything is his or belonged to someone in his family. he states that the phone has been in storage for "a year and a half" and that it "works great". he then states that he's not responsible if it doesn't work. it just seems like a bait and switch to me.

Exactly! How does he know it 'works great'? that would make me think he has charged the phone and used it, recently, meaning he also has the charger. it's called error in omission, he is misrepresenting the item by not releasing all the details. and his failure to do so has caused, or will cause, additional monetary loss to the buyer because now she has to buy the charger elsewhere, if she can find it, and then has to test the phone. Point is, it was easy to assume he had the charger because he stated it to be in working order. Or else he should have said was in working order a year ago before placed in storage. He is not clear in his description of the phone.

summerrluvv
06-22-2006, 11:42 AM
Exactly! How does he know it 'works great'? that would make me think he has charged the phone and used it, recently, meaning he also has the charger. it's called error in omission, he is misrepresenting the item by not releasing all the details. and his failure to do so has caused, or will cause, additional monetary loss to the buyer because now she has to buy the charger elsewhere, if she can find it, and then has to test the phone. Point is, it was easy to assume he had the charger because he stated it to be in working order. Or else he should have said was in working order a year ago before placed in storage. He is not clear in his description of the phone.

He could have had more than one phone of that type and charged it with a different charger. The picture showed a cell phone and that is what the buyer got, a cell phone.

mom2my3kids
06-22-2006, 12:54 PM
I would of assumed it would come with a charger, I would give him the chance to refund you then if he wont I would file a claim with paypal..

nowellsl
06-22-2006, 01:06 PM
I've seen old ones at CVS (they were on clearance last weekend), Walgreens and even Publix. Check the universal chargers - they have several kinds in the same package.

DMRick
06-22-2006, 02:28 PM
I would of assumed it would come with a charger, I would give him the chance to refund you then if he wont I would file a claim with paypal..

They could file a claim with Paypal, but they wouldn't win, based on what was offered in this auction. What would the claim be.."Paypal, I assumed it would have a charger". Assuming something on eBay can be costly. It's always best, if you don't see it, or it's not mentioned, to ask the seller. If it was delivered as shown and described, that's all that is supposed to happen. Feedback should be a positive, and the new owner can always resell on eBay, and if it makes her more comfortable, be sure to put without charger..that way someone just looking to replace their phone will be all set.

DMRick
06-22-2006, 02:39 PM
Looks like he has a side business of selling for others. So does my sister..however, she also sells for herself. I don't see anything that screams scam to me. Look at his feedback. Everyone else is very happy with what they got. Gee, all he did was sell just what he advertised. Perhaps before he's called a scam, he should be invited here, to defend himself..not that he did anything he needs to defend. He sold a phone..that's it. He didn't sell a charger, or a car charger, or headphones with it..just a phone.
What is the switch..that usually refers to someone advertising one item, and not having it and trying to get you to buy something more expensive.

PrincessKitty1
06-22-2006, 04:11 PM

I agree that the seller omitted some very important info (and I've been buying and selling on Ebay since 1998 myself). I would give him an opportunity to refund the money, and if he declines, I would file a claim with Paypal. Make sure you use delivery confirmation if you return the phone--he sounds like a scammer to me too.

GOOD sellers include all pertinent info, not just the info that makes their product sound good. For instance, a used item of clothing with stains should have a description that says more than "used condition;" the description should state there are stains. A cell phone without a charger should state "charger not included."

DMRick
06-22-2006, 04:32 PM
I would file a claim with Paypal. Make sure you use delivery confirmation if you return the phone--he sounds like a scammer to me too.

I just don't get it..what would the claim be based on? Paypal doesn't do chargebacks based on what the buyer "thinks" should have been sold with the item. I'm feeling very dense right now. I just can't see what would make Paypal give back the money. He advertised a phone. I looked at the auction. It looks to me, like it's just a phone.
Since when, when you sell items on eBay, do you have to mention what doesn't come with the item? I sold a Fisher Price doll house..should I have said it didn't come with the furniture? It was empty..but if you had bought it new, it would have had the furniture. I sold a magazine cover..I never actually said it didn't come with the rest of magazine..should I have? I said it was a cover, I figured people understood I was selling a cover.
I'm just lost with this reasoning :confused3 .
Certainly will make me be more careful when selling, in case I get someone who wants to do a chargeback on what I wasn't selling. If this guy gives her back her money, good for him..but I just can't see why he should.

PrincessKitty1
06-22-2006, 06:12 PM
Certainly will make me be more careful when selling, in case I get someone who wants to do a chargeback on what I wasn't selling. If this guy gives her back her money, good for him..but I just can't see why he should.

Because you can't use a phone, or even check that it works, without a charger. Because phones generally come with chargers. Because the guy knew he didn't have a charger, but didn't bother mentioning it in his auction. Lousy seller (deserving of neg IMO) if he doesn't refund the buyer's $$.

summerrluvv
06-22-2006, 06:30 PM
Because you can't use a phone, or even check that it works, without a charger. Because phones generally come with chargers. Because the guy knew he didn't have a charger, but didn't bother mentioning it in his auction. Lousy seller (deserving of neg IMO) if he doesn't refund the buyer's $$.

...and you can't use an electronic toy without batteries, nor can you even check if it works without batteries. A lot of toys come with batteries these days. Does that mean that a buyer should get his money refunded because the seller didn't disclose that the electronic toy didn't include batteries? Give me a break.

brivers222
06-22-2006, 06:46 PM
Yes the seller said he forgot to say it wasn't included But it wasn't listed on the auction so why would you assume it was included?

Agreed, while it does extremely SUCK that the charger wasn't included in the listing, if the picture never showed a charger and the listing never said a charger than it was all an assumption that a charger was included. I sold an old motorola before... In the picture, title and description I included that it came with a charger.

The omition was an overlook on the sellers part, but by no means was the item not as described "if" the Picture, Title, and description never mentioned a charger.

I would hope that a person filing a claim like this would get shot down... for the sake of all us sellers who list what is in our items.

I would contact the buyer and see if he/she would be so kind as to let you return the item (shipping at Your expense). If not you will have to search else where for a charger... What type is it by chance?

brivers222
06-22-2006, 06:54 PM

But that is like saying I bought a Mixer on eBay and by gosh... it didn't come with a Mixing bowl... Or I bought a PS2 for $160.00 and it only came with 1 controller.. How am I going to play with my friend with only 1 controller, I assumed for that price that it would at least come with 2 controllers?

He was under no obligation to included what it DIDN'T come with... or else the listing would be 100 pages long.

He does not deserve a negative for not shipping something that he was not selling.... He sold a PHONE not a PHONE and a CHARGER... The listing was for a PHONE and the OP got a PHONE.

BTW you can plug the phone in and activate it, make a call, receive a call check out the functions... Turn it off and then ship it ALL while having the battery run out of juice BEFORE it makes it into the buyers hands.

mom2my3kids
06-22-2006, 07:25 PM
They could file a claim with Paypal, but they wouldn't win, based on what was offered in this auction. What would the claim be.."Paypal, I assumed it would have a charger". Assuming something on eBay can be costly. It's always best, if you don't see it, or it's not mentioned, to ask the seller. If it was delivered as shown and described, that's all that is supposed to happen. Feedback should be a positive, and the new owner can always resell on eBay, and if it makes her more comfortable, be sure to put without charger..that way someone just looking to replace their phone will be all set.

You know a cell phone comes with a charger, if he did not have the charger he should of made a point to mention it in his auction. I personally would of double checked before I bid on it, I have not seen the auction listing so I don't know the exact details. But a honest seller would of stated that.

mom2my3kids
06-22-2006, 07:28 PM
I just don't get it..what would the claim be based on? Paypal doesn't do chargebacks based on what the buyer "thinks" should have been sold with the item. I'm feeling very dense right now. I just can't see what would make Paypal give back the money. He advertised a phone. I looked at the auction. It looks to me, like it's just a phone.
Since when, when you sell items on eBay, do you have to mention what doesn't come with the item? I sold a Fisher Price doll house..should I have said it didn't come with the furniture? It was empty..but if you had bought it new, it would have had the furniture. I sold a magazine cover..I never actually said it didn't come with the rest of magazine..should I have? I said it was a cover, I figured people understood I was selling a cover.
I'm just lost with this reasoning :confused3 .

But when you purchase a cell phone they come with a charger. When I bought my daughter a doll house years ago it didn't come with furniture. Its a bargain if you get a doll house with furniture :)

DMRick
06-22-2006, 08:06 PM
Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree, if that's ok. If someone negged me for this, I would of course neg back..and I would hope others looking to buy from me, would read the neg, and see the buyer was complaining about something I didn't have for sale.

DMRick
06-22-2006, 08:09 PM
But when you purchase a cell phone they come with a charger. When I bought my daughter a doll house years ago it didn't come
The house did come with furniture. I made more money selling it apart from the house.
This was not a retail sale on eBay..it was a used item. If someone was selling sneakers, and they didn't show laces, I would expect to get the sneakers without laces...even if they originally came with them.
The new owner was thrilled, if I remember right. They had furniture, but the house was cracked.

DMRick
06-22-2006, 08:13 PM
But a honest seller would of stated that.
I don't agree with this. He was selling what he had. He wasn't Sears, just someone selling a used item. He stated what he had..it' sup to the buyer to make sure what they need was there. If she had a phone like this before with a charger, and the phone died, all she would have needed was the phone. The charger might have brought more money than she paid also. She got it pretty cheap..and maybe because other's realized it didn't have a charger and that wouldn't work for them.
edited to add:

The OP got this phone for ~$20, which is $18 less than another one went for she bid on, and $26 less than a thirdr one..so it looks like cell phones sell for less without the charger :confused3 .

mom2my3kids
06-23-2006, 07:32 AM
I don't agree with this. He was selling what he had. He wasn't Sears, just someone selling a used item. He stated what he had..it' sup to the buyer to make sure what they need was there. If she had a phone like this before with a charger, and the phone died, all she would have needed was the phone. The charger might have brought more money than she paid also. She got it pretty cheap..and maybe because other's realized it didn't have a charger and that wouldn't work for them.
edited to add:

The OP got this phone for ~$20, which is $18 less than another one went for she bid on, and $26 less than a thirdr one..so it looks like cell phones sell for less without the charger :confused3 .

We will just have to agree to disagree because I personally feel a honest seller who was had lots of experience on ebay would of stated no charger comes with this phone. Because most people would assume a used cell phone someone was selling would come with one even if he did not state it. Like I said I being a experienced buyer and seller would of asked and if I was selling it would of stated it did not come with a charger, just so no misunderstanding would of come of it. I feel she has a good case with paypay.. But who knows this is just me.. :confused3

camlace
06-23-2006, 07:52 AM
As many have said the seller listed a phone...nothing more. There are several pictures, none show a charger, why would someone assume a charger was included.

I had a similar issue recently where I was selling some figurines that had come with a pin, lithograph, COA, trading cards, etc. Some of the figurines I listed with all of the above, some where just the figurine with just the COA. I always listed exactly what was included. After numerous emails regarding what wasn't included I ended up going back and writing a statement on each item that ONLY the items listed where included, if it didn't say, pin, litho, card etc, then it wasn't included. Some buyers were upset the items weren't included and told me they should be. Since when does the buyer tell the seller what should be included in their auction :confused:

Long story short...read descriptions very carefully, ask questions early enough for the seller to respond, bid wisely ;)

grlpwrd
06-23-2006, 07:59 AM

Strike 2. lol

This is inaccurate information once again. I sell for others, too, and it's not a scam to sell for others this way. He made disclosures for selling "as is."

Yes, read descriptions very carefully, ask questions early enough for the seller to respond, bid wisely! :thumbsup2

d.kurz
06-23-2006, 08:58 AM
As many have said the seller listed a phone...nothing more. There are several pictures, none show a charger, why would someone assume a charger was included.

I totally agree.

nephthys43
06-23-2006, 10:02 AM
I sell for others, too, and it's not a scam to sell for others this way.

i'm not saying that selling for others is a scam (i do it as well), i'm saying that selling for others and saying it's your own personal stuff isn't cool.

DMRick
06-23-2006, 10:05 AM
Like I said I being a experienced buyer and seller would of asked

"skip"

I feel she has a good case with paypay.. But who knows this is just me.. :confused3
Yes, YOU wouldn't have assumed it. No one should have assumed it came with something that wasn't mentioned. She has NO case with Paypal. Can you imagine, if Paypal started doing chargebacks based on what the buyer thinks should have included? Here is Paypals complaint policy..this doesn't fall in either category.

PayPal's Buyer Complaint Policy covers:
1.An eBay item that you paid for but never received
2.An eBay item that is significantly different than what was described in the listing

DMRick
06-23-2006, 10:09 AM
i'm not saying that selling for others is a scam (i do it as well), i'm saying that selling for others and saying it's your own personal stuff isn't cool.
He has an note on his auction that he sells for others..and as well, he sells for himself (although in this case, he says the phone was his brothers..so he is selling for someone else). Why is that a problem, or a scam? I do both, my sister does both (a lot more than I do). I don't see where he said he only sells for others.
The OP is not an eBay newbie, their ebay record goes back to '99, and the auction does say "I do my best to accurately describe each item I sell. If you have any questions, please email me before placing your bid." That's the time to say..hey, is there a charger, or a battery, or is this just the phone as you show.

LisaNJ25
06-23-2006, 10:48 AM
But when you purchase a cell phone they come with a charger. When I bought my daughter a doll house years ago it didn't come with furniture. Its a bargain if you get a doll house with furniture :)

Yes, when you purchase it brand new and the dealer does state it includes the charger.

This is a used phone.

he listed on his auction everything he was selling. .. the phone....

mom2my3kids
06-23-2006, 11:27 AM
Yes, when you purchase it brand new and the dealer does state it includes the charger.

This is a used phone.

he listed on his auction everything he was selling. .. the phone....

As I stated before we can agree to disagree because I believe a true honest seller would of stated a used cell phone that he is selling does not have a charger that it came with when he purchased it..Also yes I am very experienced with ebay, been screwed a few times also. So I am very very picky and ask lots of questions. Also when I do sell I dont want to risk having a negative feedback come on me because of a misunderstanding. I think this should be a very good lesson and sellers will see this, if you are selling something used and it does not come with a important part of it that was with it when it was new. MAKE SURE YOU SAY IT IN YOUR AUCTION...

DMRick
06-23-2006, 12:56 PM
because I believe a true honest seller ...
LOL - I am a true honest seller, and I would not have put the charger in...so I'm not sure what you are saying. You must mean "in your opinion".

My very large amont of positive feedbacks with a large amount of return buyers have had no problem with how I list..and I've never gotten a neg because of a misunderstanding. They read the auction and bid accordingly. They take responsibility for understanding what is listed, and for what isn't listed. Lucky for the OP, she paid a lot less than the other phones went for that she bid on, so she has some extra money to buy a charger. I would not hesitate to buy from this seller.
I'm glad that Paypal does business how they do..or anyone could complain about any used item, not coming with a part they think it should come with.

mom2my3kids
06-23-2006, 02:54 PM
LOL - I am a true honest seller, and I would not have put the charger in...so I'm not sure what you are saying. You must mean "in your opinion".

My very large amont of positive feedbacks with a large amount of return buyers have had no problem with how I list..and I've never gotten a neg because of a misunderstanding. They read the auction and bid accordingly. They take responsibility for understanding what is listed, and for what isn't listed. Lucky for the OP, she paid a lot less than the other phones went for that she bid on, so she has some extra money to buy a charger. I would not hesitate to buy from this seller.
I'm glad that Paypal does business how they do..or anyone could complain about any used item, not coming with a part they think it should come with.

LMAO okay I am not going to say you are not a honest seller, but in my opinion the seller should of stated that. Now in saying that you were not the seller who sold her the phone in question were you.. :cool1:
:grouphug:

brivers222
06-23-2006, 03:12 PM

That is way off... The seller can claim that is his stuff even if he is selling it for another person... Especially if the seller has physical control over the product. For all the buyer knows is that they are paying the person on the listing... whether or not the seller gives money to the original person is besides the point. There is nothing wrong with claiming inventory as being their own (if there was it should ONLY be an issue with the original owner and seller... not the buyer at all, it is none of their business)

I could see an Item Not as Described issue being opened and won if the seller supplied the buyer with a charger and nothing more! But he advertised a cell phone and sold A cell phone.

Funny though all this arguing about the "missing" charger.... I am guessing it didn't come with a MANUAL either... We all know that MANUALS comes standard with phone purchases... why is this not an issue? Probably because the listing only said A Cell phone.

mom2my3kids
06-23-2006, 03:23 PM
That is way off... The seller can claim that is his stuff even if he is selling it for another person... Especially if the seller has physical control over the product. For all the buyer knows is that they are paying the person on the listing... whether or not the seller gives money to the original person is besides the point. There is nothing wrong with claiming inventory as being their own (if there was it should ONLY be an issue with the original owner and seller... not the buyer at all, it is none of their business)

I could see an Item Not as Described issue being opened and won if the seller supplied the buyer with a charger and nothing more! But he advertised a cell phone and sold A cell phone.

Funny though all this arguing about the "missing" charger.... I am guessing it didn't come with a MANUAL either... We all know that MANUALS comes standard with phone purchases... why is this not an issue? Probably because the listing only said A Cell phone.

Okay this is my last post about this issue, but I have to say you don't need a manuel to operate a cell phone. You do need a charger..Okay I am done this can go on and on and on. Odviously everyone does not agree with each other..Hey that is what makes the world go around :goodvibes , to the original OP you know how I stand on the issue..

nbodyhome
06-23-2006, 03:24 PM
It would never occur to me to expect a charger in a sale of a used cell phone. I'd expect a battery, if not stated otherwise - but no other extras unless mentioned.

Lewisc
06-23-2006, 03:26 PM
OP should be able to buy a charger for around $10. Sounds about right.

My concern would be how the seller knows the phone works if the battery is discharged and a charger isn't included.

http://www.cellphoneshop.net/cellphone2.html

is a good source of cell phone accessories. Cheap but delivery is a little slow. Check the usual sources for discount coupon codes.

DMRick
06-23-2006, 04:30 PM
Now in saying that you were not the seller who sold her the phone in question were you.. :cool1:
:grouphug:
Nope, but if I were, I would have no problem admitting it, since I don't think he did anything wrong.

DMRick
06-23-2006, 04:35 PM
Hey Lewis, I haven't see you in ages. Welcome back, if you have been gone.
When I read the description, I just assumed he had a charger from another, similar phone that let him try it out..or a charged battery to test it with. If a charger would be $10, then the phone is a bargain for what the OP paid!

OP should be able to buy a charger for around $10. Sounds about right.

My concern would be how the seller knows the phone works if the battery is discharged and a charger isn't included.

DMRick
06-23-2006, 04:36 PM
Okay this is my last post about this issue, but I have to say you don't need a manuel to operate a cell phone.

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl: Oh yes I do LOL!

pilgrimage
06-23-2006, 05:18 PM
This has stimulated far more comments than expected.

The questions about what I bid for other phones(and how
does one even track that) does
not take into consideration that some were much newer
and had more features, not simply chargers or not. Obviously
even the same model goes for different amounts. I
won the auction for a used scratched phone with emergency
911, which is
fine for my needs. I did not care about the physical qualities of a charger--
scratched or not would not matter.That is why I thought
it was not shown. You may see it differently, but that was
my reasoning.

None of the cell phone stores or the one Target where I stopped
had a charger that fit. I could not test it.

I contacted the seller who said that he should have mentioned
that there was no charger. Again, you may disagree or not.
He offered to pay the amount of a usable charger on ebay. I paid
the difference to get one locally in order to test the phone within the 3 days
and start using it. I am posting positive feedback quickly, as ebay
sellers like he and colleagues on this board deserve.

Thank you for suggestions for other sources of chargers and
even your sweet offer to mail your spare. I had tried my 2 other
Motorola ones first, but you are dear to offer.

I have a Motorola star-tac charger and Kyocera 5135 charger free to
anyone who needs them.

Happy restful weekend to all.

DMRick
06-23-2006, 05:51 PM
He offered to pay the amount of a usable charger on ebay. I paid
the difference to get one locally in order to test the phone within the 3 days
and start using it. I am posting positive feedback quickly, as ebay
sellers like he and colleagues on this board deserve..

That was very nice of him to go above and beyond what he needed to do to satisfy eBay as a seller. As I said earlier, he seemed to be a nice seller, and he certainly proved it.

To track sales, you just go up to advanced sales in the upper right corner of any ebay page, and click..then when the next page comes up, put in bidder, click on completed sales, and you have it!

I'm glad it worked out so good for you. We'll all remember to make sure all we want to be with an item is..it's a good reminder to ask questions, if something isn't shown. Like I said, I would bid on this seller's items, even if he had not decided to go above and beyond as mentioned above.

bettyann29
06-23-2006, 06:02 PM
Glad to hear all is working out.. Just for the record, I would have assumed that the phone came with a charger.. I guess that would be my fault.. my mom always said "Dont assume anything!!".. This would have been a lesson learned for me..

brivers222
06-23-2006, 07:25 PM
Okay this is my last post about this issue, but I have to say you don't need a manuel to operate a cell phone. You do need a charger..Okay I am done this can go on and on and on. Odviously everyone does not agree with each other..Hey that is what makes the world go around :goodvibes , to the original OP you know how I stand on the issue..

Have you seen some of these new fangeled phones... Like Heck you don't need a charger :lmao:

Anyways, I am glad that everything worked out for the OP... This is a great buying lesson learned... if it is not in the listing or the picture, don't assume it is going to be included... as the old saying goes, "if you assume you make a A** out of you and me!" :thumbsup2

Lewisc
06-23-2006, 08:11 PM
Most of us don't have a problem with an ebay seller selling a used phone without a charger even though a charger was probably included when the phone was sold new.

I, and I suspect most of us, would have a different answer if the ebay seller sold the phone without a battery. I guess I assume the seller is selling a working phone but not necessarily accessories but I'm not sure if I can justify the distinction.

Doris--would it be ethical for a seller to sell a used cell phone but not include the battery?

DMRick
06-23-2006, 08:39 PM
Doris--would it be ethical for a seller to sell a used cell phone but not include the battery?
ouch..I think I'm about to be in trouble. I would not give a negative for that, so does that mean my ethics are all shot LOL?..but I personally would ask before I bought, if the phone is complete and ready to use. That's what I did for the one I bought (did you know you can activate it for free at the verizon site, if it's a verizon, and it's cheaper to buy a phone on ebay, than to replace a lost or broken phone?). I have seen some listed, with the battery compartment open and no battery, but I don't remember if it was mentioned. I do think if a battery wasn't mentioned, I'd be right there asking. I assume people sell their phones just because the battery is dead, and they don't want to replace it..but then I'd be assuming :) I again, don't think Paypal would allow a chargeback, if battery wasn't mentioned..but I don't know that for sure.
Keep an eye out..my old phone is done, dead, finished. I plan on selling all of the stuff that came with it..and up til now, I never thought to tell them the phone isn't included :rotfl2: . I just figured they would know, since I didn't mention it.