PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else get "stinky" Disney luggage?

patsal
06-21-2006, 08:12 PM
My red luggage came today and I was so psyched, until I opened the box--this stuff is STINKY--It really smells bad--kind of like cigarettes and musty. Did anyone have this problem--my hamper under sepatate shipment is also rather stinky in the same way. What do you think would have caused this? Should I try something before I send the items back?

java
06-21-2006, 08:17 PM
My nemo luggage(for my little guy) came with a strong chemical smell..... kind of gas/plastic combo. But I left them out for a while and once the plastic was off and they got some fresh air they were fine. I was going to Febreeze them but I was happy with the lack of odor after the airing out.

Steamboat Marti
06-21-2006, 08:20 PM
My luggage arrived with a smell too -- something in the petroleum family. It aired out well and Febreeze is a godsend!

Redwitch
06-21-2006, 08:21 PM
Try sticking a fabric softener dryer sheet inside it. Sounds weird, but sometimes it works!

justplaingoofy
06-21-2006, 08:24 PM
:rotfl2: :rotfl2: I blamed it on our dog!!!! :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

I opened our box and the dog was breathing in my face :rotfl: I thought the smell was from him!!

Once I threw the box & plastic away I didn't notice it anymore!

patsal
06-21-2006, 08:50 PM
Thanks, I'll try the febreze and get the boxes out to the trash. :cool1:

Mad4Mickey
06-21-2006, 10:41 PM
this is so funny I swear when I got mine in April I thought it was just me . I sent it to my in laws so they could use the air purifier ( Alpine rocks I just cant afford one) they had to lock it in the spare room open with the filter for a week and even then it needed Febreeze .

DisneyMomx7
06-22-2006, 06:36 AM
Oh great - I'm expecting mine today or tomorrow. Thank goodness for Fabreeze and fabric softener sheets!

PB'sMOM
06-22-2006, 06:47 AM
JustPlainGoofy-sure blame it on the dog-it's always the animals ;) -good thing you didn't throw the dog away-LOL.
I should get my luggage this week-I think I'll let it air outside.

Cindy :wave:

BoPeep
06-22-2006, 08:05 AM
We aired ours out and thought that the smell was gone, but once you put your clothes in and they are zipped up in there for a few days, they smell just like that gross smell the luggage had to start with. At least that's what happened to us. So in other words, we were the stinky people at Disney World. :lmao:

Disnicole
06-22-2006, 08:45 AM
Ours came with a strong chemical/plastic smell. But what is far worse is the shower curtain that arrived. I have had my bathroom door closed and the window open for almost a week trying to air it out and the smell still knocks you out when you walk in the bathroom.

ktglads
06-22-2006, 08:58 AM
The cigarette smoke would be possible if your delivery person smoked in his/her truck. This could cause the boxes and items in there to smell like smoke as well. It happens to me every so often when there is a temporary mail carrier who smokes in his truck

canwegosoon
06-22-2006, 09:14 AM
I have the same smell on a blouse I got recently. It has been airing out for 2 weeks plus the time at the store...it is fading, but still a little strong. :guilty:

MyZoeJane
06-22-2006, 09:18 AM
FWIW, leaving things out in the sun for several hours really does wonders for killing a smell... Something about the heat of the sun really helps to zap the smell out of something stinky. :thumbsup2

Caitsmama
06-22-2006, 09:28 AM
oh, man! I am supposed to be getting mine today..lol .. Can't wait! LOL

Disneydreaming6
06-22-2006, 09:34 AM
I received mine the other day, and didn't open it until just now after reading this post. OMG... I really hope that smell goes away. Why would they need to make or use products that would leave a smell like that on items that people are buying. At least we'll beable to find each other in the world. we'll all have the same smell. :rotfl2:

DisneyMomx7
06-22-2006, 09:36 AM
We aired ours out and thought that the smell was gone, but once you put your clothes in and they are zipped up in there for a few days, they smell just like that gross smell the luggage had to start with. At least that's what happened to us. So in other words, we were the stinky people at Disney World. :lmao:

I use the ziploc bag method for packing - do you think that would keep the odor off the clothes? I'm going to keep mine out in the sun, use febreeze, and stuff the suitcase with dryer sheets. Hopefully we won't have stinky clothes when we unpack or else we are going to have one heck of a drycleaning bill again. I don't mind doing some laundry in Disney but I know for a fact I don't intend on doing laundry the first day we get there. Wish me luck!

Nurse_Mommy4
06-22-2006, 09:38 AM
You have got to be kidding me.. :rotfl2: I guess that luggage (or at least the sale) was pretty popular!!! I have four sets (red, black, Dash and princess) that should arrive today or tomorrow. Good thing I have plenty of time to try and get the odor out. :goodvibes

bartleby1
06-22-2006, 09:40 AM
Many things that come from the disney store have that petroleum/plastic smell. My DD opened a gift from my sister on her 5th birthday that was a polly pocket type set of disney princesses. Immediately, she said that it smelled like the disney store! That was the first time I realized it, but she was right. I bought a pair of sandals for my son that stunk so bad I took them back.

As far as a smoke or musty smell though, I would think that was from the UPS truck or warehouse where someone was smoking.

shades
06-22-2006, 09:43 AM
I bought 4 of the black Mickey laptop cases and the box had something spilled on the side when I received it from UPS. The box didn't smell, but - the cases smelled like they had been dipped in gasoline. I let them air out for 4 days and the house was beginning to smell like them - even after I Febreezed them. I called Disneyshopping and they reshipped new ones and sent UPS to pick up the stinky ones for free return shipping. So, I received the new ones and they stink too - but, not as bad and are airing out. I've Febreezed them and the odor is just so strong its a tough one to get rid of. I'll try setting them out in the sun - maybe that will take care of it once and for all! :thumbsup2

disneyfan19712006
06-22-2006, 09:46 AM
Great I have a strong reaction to chemical smells I guess we will try the sun and febreeze them. I bought two sets arriving on Monday for a Friday departure.

Caitsmama
06-22-2006, 09:54 AM
[QUOTE=DisneyMomx7]I use the ziploc bag method for packing - do you think that would keep the odor off the clothes? QUOTE]

Ok, OT here, but what is the "ziplock" method? Curious minds want to know! :teeth:

MyZoeJane
06-22-2006, 10:01 AM
[QUOTE=DisneyMomx7]I use the ziploc bag method for packing - do you think that would keep the odor off the clothes? QUOTE]

Ok, OT here, but what is the "ziplock" method? Curious minds want to know! :teeth:

:rotfl:

It's when we pack individual outfits in 1 or 2 gallon sized ziploc bags. You end up with a suitcase full of ziploc'ed outfits which makes it eay to grab one and go... also, you can put the dirty stuff back into the Ziplocs to take home without smell. :banana:

DMRick
06-22-2006, 11:17 AM
I was afraid to mention the smell, after I already commented on what I thought about the construction of them LOL. We use large ziplocs for everything, after someones aftershave spilled on our old luggage a bit ago, so my clothes are safe. It's been over a year and mine still have the odor...just not as strong.

PigletFairy
06-22-2006, 11:19 AM
what? you guys didnt know about the straight-out-of-the-box smell?? :lmao: I work at a place where we get a lot of stuff shipped to us. I think is the cardboard and certain plastics. I did get a scrapbook tote a few months ago and it had that smell. I left it out and open and eventually it fades. Packaged paper also has that smell.

smep013
06-22-2006, 11:31 AM
It's so funny you guys are commenting on this.

My husband and I have purchased two large luggage/duffle bags from BJ's and both had this same odor - musty, cigartettes, oil. Weird!

We put fabric softner inside for a few days to let it air out.
Febreeze is another great idea!

DisneyMomx7
06-22-2006, 11:33 AM

Ziploc bag method is so great, at least for us. I pack everything in the ziploc bag, outfit, socks, underwear and for the girls the hair accessory. No more searching for things in the morning or have the kids put together "mismatched" outfits. Its so easy even DH was able to get two of the kids dressed in January without them looking like clowns. (I had the flu, and if you knew DH you would be shocked that the kids actually looked presentable, I'm surprised they weren't wearing their pajamas to MGM).

It just makes things easier in the AM when you're rushing to get to the parks!

S. C.
06-22-2006, 12:11 PM
We are leaving for disney in one week. If i.. smell ..any of you i will say HI!!! :p

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

pssssssssst.....one of my new rolling duffles has that smell. All of you might smell me! :teeth:

welovedis
06-22-2006, 02:05 PM
It must not be the luggage, it must be the bags they used for inidividually wrapping everything.

I ordered the car organizer, the steering wheel cover, the hitch cover (which is huge BTW), the laptop bag, 2 pairs of shorts and 3 Pooh items and they are stink!

HenDuck
06-22-2006, 02:17 PM
I got mine a few weeks ago. I opened them up but didn't notice any such smell, and I have a VERY sensitive nose.

Now I'm worried about the princess sets I bought as gifts. :guilty: I didn't open those up at all.

I better go home and check them tonite.

I don't think I've ever noticed this smell problem on anything I've ordered. And I would surely have noticed. NO smell gets by this nose! :rotfl:

KristinU
06-22-2006, 02:24 PM
FWIW, I recently researched bags and ordered some from eBags and the same smell you all are referring to was present in my new luggage set as well. In my research I saw a lot of reviews of luggage from a few different places that mentioned the petroleum-ish smell...so I think it is something with new, inexpensive, luggage. (I didn't research expensive luggage, but I would hope that if I had spent 2-3 times as much that I wouldn't have had to air it out!)

disneyfan19712006
06-23-2006, 03:34 PM
Came today My son called me and said "These stink to high heaven.

T. Lynn
06-23-2006, 03:43 PM
Instead of Febreeze, try Natures Miracle for an odor neutralizer.

It's acutally used to get out pet smells but it's great for a neutralizer. It can be purchsed at a pet store. I use it on my curtains, sofa, carpet, etc... It doesn't cover the odor up for it to come back. It really makes it go away. With Febreeze, i think it tries to cover it up but then the smell eventually comes back (maybe just not as strong).

I originally used it one time for an accident that my dog had.

Then a friend came buy and sat on our coach and it smelled of smoke once he left (we don't smoke or allow it in our house). I was so ticked and searched around the house for something to use. I read on the bottle that it was a neutralizer and could be used on a lot of things. I had nothing to loose so I gave it a try. Best stuff I ever purchased. I always make sure I have some on hand. It comes in a regular bottle or spray bottle.

Caitsmama
06-23-2006, 03:54 PM
Got my luggage yesterday, but didn't notice any powerful smell....

patsal
06-23-2006, 04:41 PM
Well, at least we will all smell together! So if you smell us or we smell you we'll be sure to say "Disney Luggage, huh!?" :lmao:

Donna
06-23-2006, 04:49 PM
The cigarette smoke would be possible if your delivery person smoked in his/her truck. This could cause the boxes and items in there to smell like smoke as well. It happens to me every so often when there is a temporary mail carrier who smokes in his truck

This is the problem i have with every delivery that comes on the mail truck. He smokes a CIGAR of all things! i asked at the post office if mail truck drivers are allowed to smoke with all that mail in the truck and he said, sure they are! i was surprised there wasn't some kind of law against it :rolleyes: , but there isn't. My son said he noticed the luggage smelled "like the mail guy". I also schedule pick ups for my ebay sales (same guy) and was worried that my buyers would complain but no one ever has. I never complained any further, the guy is such a nice guy but all his mail stinks! ;)

natenapril
06-23-2006, 05:24 PM
I ordered the scrapbook case from them and it was smelly :sad2: It took awhile for the smell to gho away. I had it personalized and I loved the way it looked or I would have sent it back!

wtpntigger2
06-23-2006, 05:28 PM
Well I didn't notice any smell when I opened mine the other day, so I went and sniffed them, and yep there is a smell to them, but it doesn't seem to bad. Out in the sun they go.

Also, you all almost got me in trouble for buying the Mickey luggage set, luckily dh liked how they looked and the price. :thumbsup2

Although now he thinks we won't be able to find our luggage at MCO since everyone else will have Mickey luggage. I told him Magical Express gets to worry about that. :rotfl2:

dznyacct
06-23-2006, 06:28 PM
Just got my luggage today :banana: and did notice a slight chemical smell to it. I'm going to Scotchguard it and let it sit open until I pack for our trip to Key West next month :sunny: . I'll give it a spray of Febreeze if it's still a little stinky ::yes:: .

pansmermaidzlagoon
06-23-2006, 10:22 PM
Yes! I posted about this yesterday on the ohter thread about the luggage!!! I had mine in the dining room and had to move it down to the basement in hopes it airs out soon!!!!! :sunny:

I am going to try the sun tip and then the Nature's Miracle, if needed. Luckily, we have to OCt!!!

:wizard:

T. Lynn
06-23-2006, 10:30 PM
You'll love the Natures Miracle.

Again, I always make sure I have some on hand. You never know when you need it.

WldWcnWmn
06-23-2006, 11:34 PM
500 of our closest friends now own the same luggage, so we painted ours! :lmao: I didn't notice any particular odor when we were painting them, but they are outside drying now, and I guess airing out, too. :artist:

dsnycrzy
06-24-2006, 07:21 AM
Did you order this luggage off of a website or something?

MUFFYCAT
06-24-2006, 07:40 AM
i got mine yesterday, it didn't smell that bad.

Caitsmama
06-24-2006, 08:25 AM
500 of our closest friends now own the same luggage, so we painted ours! :lmao: I didn't notice any particular odor when we were painting them, but they are outside drying now, and I guess airing out, too. :artist:

Are you serious??? You painted them??? If your joking, excuse me, my coffee pot broke this am, so i am behind on my caffine!! :teeth:

WldWcnWmn
06-24-2006, 02:13 PM
Are you serious??? You painted them??? If your joking, excuse me,

No I am serious! I am a single parent - I had a hellacious time finding our bags in the MCO terminal AND in the Disney Cruise terminal because everybody and their brother has black rolling luggage. It was so stressful for me to keep an eye out for DD7 (at the time) and look for luggage and run back and forth between luggage tags and daughter, that I decided right there and then I would buy bright pink luggage if I ever saw any. :rotfl: Well when this thread came out about the mickey luggage, I couldn't resist and I am sure I won't be the only one on my pirate: Disney Cruise with Mickey luggage :rolleyes: so, we painted them yesterday. They will not be missed!

my coffee pot broke this am, so i am behind on my caffine!! :teeth:
He He He I would drink caffinated soda in the morning if I had too, to keep my caffine levels in the bloodstream. :rotfl:

TOP OF PAGE!

pansmermaidzlagoon
06-24-2006, 02:36 PM
what kind of paint did you use? I would love to have DD8 decorate hers (wouldn't do this with pricier luggage). I thought of the fabric paints from the craft store - but I am afraid those would just peel off. :sunny:

singitalto
06-24-2006, 06:02 PM
I was reading this thread and I realized you were talking about the luggage I bought a couple of months ago. I didn't think of airing it out and it has been in the box (and bags since I received it in May) Boy it does smell!!!!
So I just took it out of the box and bags and put some dryer sheets in them. It's raining out now so when it stops(in a couple of days) I will air them out outside.

Thanks for the heads up!! :sunny:

WldWcnWmn
06-25-2006, 02:22 PM
what kind of paint did you use? I would love to have DD8 decorate hers (wouldn't do this with pricier luggage). I thought of the fabric paints from the craft store - but I am afraid those would just peel off. :sunny:

We went to Walmart and bought Acrylic paint and a couple of bottles of transfer medium (you'll see it) to mix with each color. It makes acrylic paint "stick" on fabric. I am not sure about the peeling factor, I was afraid of that too, but they're dry now and seem to have come out quite nice. There's no "rubbery" feel to the paint. You're supposed to iron the paint to "set" it, but obviously you can't do that with luggage, so they're sitting outside in the hot hot sun. I have to say also, I didn't notice a smell while we were painting them fresh out of the shipping carton, but when I unzipped them to dry I was hit with nastiness! They stink, whew boy! So hopefully the sun is setting the paint and removing the smell. Now don't everybody go painting their luggage, or I will never be able to find mine (I should have kept my big mouth shut) :lmao: :rotfl2:
Have fun! DD9 had a ball!

pansmermaidzlagoon
06-25-2006, 02:29 PM
thank you!!!! Did not know about transfer medium!!!

- we won't paint ours as much as put some designs or decorations on it!!!! :thumbsup2

WldWcnWmn
06-25-2006, 02:33 PM
thank you!!!! Did not know about transfer medium!!!

- we won't paint ours as much as put some designs or decorations on it!!!! :thumbsup2

I have to tell you - they have the cutest stencils of Disney Vacation stuff in the craft isle. We didn't paint ours completely, we did designs and stuff, too. I guess I never made that clear earlier... :lmao: We stenciled waves and drinks with umbrellas and hidden Mickey's and hula girls and ships and wrote "Disney Magic 2006" and stuff like that. I was so :banana: when I saw the Disney Vacation stencils in the craft isle!

tarheelmjfan
06-25-2006, 03:23 PM
I have to tell you - they have the cutest stencils of Disney Vacation stuff in the craft isle. We didn't paint ours completely, we did designs and stuff, too. I guess I never made that clear earlier... :lmao: We stenciled waves and drinks with umbrellas and hidden Mickey's and hula girls and ships and wrote "Disney Magic 2006" and stuff like that. I was so :banana: when I saw the Disney Vacation stencils in the craft isle!

You've peaked my curiousity. Now, I just have to see your DD's masterpiece. We need a picture. :teeth:

Tamarap
06-25-2006, 04:17 PM
This is so funny. I bought a hard sided Samsonite suitcase recently at Sam's Club and every time I open the suitcase it reeks of a cigarette type odor. I will be using it soon so I am glad to see suggestions of how to deal with the odor.

WldWcnWmn
06-25-2006, 08:53 PM
You've peaked my curiousity. Now, I just have to see your DD's masterpiece. We need a picture. :teeth:

I can't find the battery charger for my digital camera... I have rechargeable batteries and no charger. :confused3 I will head to the store tomorrow and get a new charger and I'll take pics and post 'em. :thumbsup2

The Photobucket Saga continues.....(I just learned about photobucket yesterday!!!) lovin' postin' pictures! :banana:

pansmermaidzlagoon
06-25-2006, 09:14 PM
that's cool!!! :thumbsup2 I have been finding all the stickers and stuff for possible door signs - will checkout stencils, but have DD take it in a different direction ;) !!!!

mickeysaver
06-25-2006, 09:47 PM
We find that Fabreeze works great for chasing away odors in luggage. My honey travels all the time for business and so far, the Fabreeze has worked like a charm. Maggie

LSUDis
06-25-2006, 10:36 PM
Count me in as an owner of stinky luggage.

To me, it was a kerosene-type smell.

I tried everything listed except the Nature's Miracle, which I have in my cabinet for my puppy's messes! Duh!!!! to me! I'm going to try it.

T. Lynn
06-25-2006, 11:15 PM
I tried everything listed except the Nature's Miracle, which I have in my cabinet for my puppy's messes! Duh!!!! to me! I'm going to try it.
Let me know how it works for you. I really like it for a neutralizer. If you have a regular bottle, just put some in a spray bottle. I now keep both kinds on hand.

lbgraves
06-26-2006, 12:11 AM
It sounds like DD.com has a problem with their warehouses. Last year when I ordered DS a Hook costume it arrived with a slight odor & white stuff on it. It ended up being mildew! :( I called, sent it back & got another one. It was the same way. I was able to run it thru the washer & it came out thank goodness!

Poohbear123
06-26-2006, 09:11 AM
My DS has brought Luggage he bought from over seas, and it smells like Moth Balls! :rolleyes: I put it in my closet and its stinking the WHOLE closet up! I will have to try the above methods, or just put it in another room. ;)

serenitynow
06-26-2006, 09:21 AM
If all else fails, crumple newspaper and leave it in the various zipper pockets. Any odor should be gone after 2 or 3 days :thumbsup2

Nurse_Mommy4
06-26-2006, 02:26 PM
We got ours this past friday and it rained on and off all weekend (so no sun of course). I hope to try some of the above methods this week. Good Luck everybody and thanks for all the tips. :thumbsup2

tarheelmjfan
06-26-2006, 03:52 PM
I got my luggage on the 16th, but just now opened it to see if it smelled. Mine has a bit of a stale smell from where it's been zipped up, but doesn't really smell the way you guys have described. I wonder what the difference is. :confused:

On a side note, after reading negative reviews on the luggage, I was kind of concerned that I had bought junk. It's much nicer than I expected. :thumbsup2 I guess low expectations can be a good thing sometimes. :teeth:

WldWcnWmn
06-26-2006, 08:47 PM
As promised... :cool1: I won't "paint" expensive luggage, but as these were only $30.00 and bought specifically for the trip I don't have real heartburn over letting DD go to town. I bought the laptop bag that matches...my laptop's too big :sad2:
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j170/wldwcnwmn/weirdstuff362.jpg
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j170/wldwcnwmn/abe4fa51.jpg

tarheelmjfan
06-26-2006, 08:57 PM
Those are so neat. What a great idea. She did a fabulous job painting them!!! Thanks for sharing the pics with us. :)

kidsister
06-26-2006, 09:33 PM
Funny that my big box from Disney came today and ....I was just thinking how chemically everything smelled when I took it out...and then I came here and read this.

Can you imagine the warehouses where they store all this stuff? Yikes.
I didn't get the red luggage (I think I was mad that the price jumped back up from $39 to $59....but i did buy a duffle bag. It's fine, tho only one little Mickey head decal and that is it. Loved the beach coverup I ordered tho!
My favorite of everything...tho the Alice dishes were awfully cute!

Donna
06-26-2006, 10:10 PM
Funny that my big box from Disney came today and ....I was just thinking how chemically everything smelled when I took it out...and then I came here and read this.

Can you imagine the warehouses where they store all this stuff? Yikes.
I didn't get the red luggage (I think I was mad that the price jumped back up from $39 to $59....but i did buy a duffle bag. It's fine, tho only one little Mickey head decal and that is it. Loved the beach coverup I ordered tho!
My favorite of everything...tho the Alice dishes were awfully cute!

The luggage is now back up to $79. Glad i got it at $39.99 when i did!

bettyann29
06-27-2006, 06:01 AM
Got my luggage yesterday.. I do think they smell a bit but its not too bad.. Im gonna work on airing them out and spraying them with scotchguard.. While I got a great deal at $39.99 I dont think they are worth the $99 original price.. Glad I got them on sale..

jessica52877
06-27-2006, 06:36 AM

My fedex guy smokes and it just makes me sick when I get items from him. The box and whatever is inside is so stinky that they all stay outside for a couple of days, then the box goes directly into the trash. I am afraid to reuse it and someone think that I smoke.

I had a lady complain about their beach towels one time, I sold it on ebay and she said the chemical smell was so strong she has to wash it before she used it. I guess I don't notice that since I wash my stuff first anyways!

MyZoeJane
06-27-2006, 09:14 AM
FWIW, I don't think the smell is limited to just Disney warehouses... I bought $600 luggage from Overstock.com and boy, it stunk to high heaven, too. I left it out on my deck in the sun and it's MUUUUUCH better, but still not completely "cured." I used it for our trip to WI Dells this past weekend and I could still smell it a little bit. I agree, it smells like kerosene. Blech!

BibbidyBobbidyBoo
06-27-2006, 10:45 AM
I smell the same plastic/chemical smell everytime I buy from anywhere online- seriously! I guess I'm just used to it- it doesn't "stink" to me in any other way except like someone else said- it's the normal "just out of the shipping box/plastic" smell to me- no biggie. It's not just the luggage in other words. I really think it has to do with the box and the plastic they individually wrap with. Everything I ever buy online or thru mail that is wrapped in plastic like that smells that way.

kimberly6
06-27-2006, 12:30 PM
Got mine & NO smell thank god!!

shades
06-27-2006, 01:11 PM
As promised... :cool1: I won't "paint" expensive luggage, but as these were only $30.00 and bought specifically for the trip I don't have real heartburn over letting DD go to town. I bought the laptop bag that matches...my laptop's too big :sad2:
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j170/wldwcnwmn/weirdstuff362.jpg
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j170/wldwcnwmn/abe4fa51.jpg

Very cute! Thanks for sharing! :artist: