PDA

View Full Version : last min trip stretcher... which beach in Fl. for shells...

idofabric
06-21-2006, 05:50 PM
Any one ever go over to the beach to shell? I don't want to go and collect a ton of shells,but would like to see them on the beach and bring a few home. We will have a day free to go over and I thought that Sanibel Island was good, but have read that it isn't that great. Any one that lives there or has been over to the Gulf side? I also read that that was the best side to shell on. I do know that it is better after a storm... and the Weather channel is saying that all the wind is from ? east to west, so would that make it the best "beach" side? Hope I heard that correct! I am taking 4 young teens down and we want to do a non Disney day, as 3 of them have limited $$$ and tickets!
Thanks folks!

autumnsmommy
06-21-2006, 09:00 PM
Grandparents used to live in Venice. The gulf side is great for shells and sharks teeth. Grandpa had a box strainer with the square chicken wire for shelling/toothing. We always came back with bunches. Just be sure to check the tide charts.

Tinkerbell_Tiffany
06-21-2006, 09:42 PM
might not find any on the beach I would take your snorkel....

hemispheredancer
06-21-2006, 10:35 PM
Sanibel/Captiva Island(s) on the gulf have some of the best shelling in the country. Very beautiful area!

Marbear
06-22-2006, 12:54 AM
I would definitely go with Casey Key (in Nokomis, right by Venice) or Siesta Key (next beach over). We go there every year, and in fact we were there just last week. We found MANY beautiful shells right on the beach and we often find shark teeth as well.

Happy hunting!

jncvh
06-22-2006, 02:50 AM
I have a vacation home on Captiva :sunny: and some of the best shelling in the world is here. If you head up to Captiva through Sanibel and go to Blind Pass, it is right at the bridge between the two. This beach has the best shelling. There is currently a 2-4 foot high wall of shells on the south side. Stop by Walmart and pick up some of those beach shoes as the shells can do damage to your feet. Also pick up a shelling net, about $4.00. Once you enter into the ocean you will find about a 1-1 1/2 drop in the sand. This is where all of the shells collect before they wash up on shore. Either use your hands or the shelling net to pick up the shells. In this area you will find conchs, green olive shells, lightning whelks, and sharks eyes by the ton. If you can get up to Cayo Costa, two islands up and only approachable by boat, there are a ton of shells as well that not many people can get to. Besides the shells the beaches in this area are super. :wave:

Ladybugsy
06-22-2006, 06:55 AM
Another suggestion is to get there early before anyone else as all the best ones will be gone early.

idofabric
06-22-2006, 07:34 AM
Thank YOU! I can't wait! I had started to look online for info after posting this, and had wanted to get up to North Captiva, or to Cayo Costa State park... but with 4 teens, and me that is way more $$$ for a ferry or boat then we have. This is supost to be a cost/ money saving day! The web sites prices for boats up to the other islands were from $29 to $55 a person, NOT a way to save money!
YOU all, however, have come through! I love to look for shells, even on the empty of(sea) life So. Cal beaches. I usuall take a small bag and limit my self to what I end up taking. I gather a lot and then sort... I have more fun that way!