PDA

View Full Version : How do prices at Publix compare to prices in your local market?

hollyb
06-21-2006, 01:08 PM
I think Publix is the supermarket that is close to Disney. I am wondering if they are really high in price? We are renting a house and will need some grocery's.

spiceycat
06-21-2006, 01:11 PM
the closest one to Disney is Goody's and they are definitely high.

I find Publix very reasonable.

I don't take food and stuff from home any longer - I buy everything that I need at Publix.

they don't pay a sales tax on groceries in Ala we still do..... popcorn::

jeff968
06-21-2006, 01:35 PM
We use the Publix as well and find good prices there. There are some stores labeled "grocery stores" right outside some of the larger timeshare/suite locations with very high prices. Seek out the Publix and you'll find the good prices and fresh produce. There are a number of them in Orlando.

isla bonita
06-21-2006, 02:01 PM
I find them fair priced.

I have been to the Goodings once and could not believe the prices.

UKDEB
06-21-2006, 03:08 PM
I find everything a bargain compared with the prices here in the UK! The variety of produce never fails to amaze me, either. I'm at a loss to understand why anyone would want to eat Pop Tarts at all, let alone dedicate a whole aisle to them (we have about 4 flavours here).

talicskai
06-21-2006, 03:30 PM
I buy all my groceries at Walmart SuperCenter on SR535 because I find Publix expensive.
Teresa

safetymom
06-21-2006, 04:14 PM
Publix beats the prices at Wal Mart on some items. Winn Dixie and Albertsons also have good prices.

mercydisney
06-21-2006, 04:19 PM
In Fl Publix is the#1 supermarket. I highly recommend it. It's very clean and the customer service is #1. FL newspaper compared it to SuperWalmart in value. You will only be saving a few nickels if you go to SuperWalmart.
They always have buy one get one free.

Some of this wks specials are;
Arnold whole grain bread. BOGOF
Nabisco Ritz Crackers, BOGOF
Kellogs Nutri-Grain Bar, BOGOF
The best is Buy 4 get one free of 12 pack of Pepsi products.

Theirs more but I thought these are what you would want to stock up on while in Disney.

spiceycat
06-21-2006, 05:25 PM
my problem with walmart is the size.

at the most I am with another person - okay sometimes there are 3 of us - but the size walmart wants you buy is enough for 5 people or more...

so I am better off with Publix and getting a much smaller size (generally for less money than Walmart)

only generally because sometimes the bigger size is a better deal.

bunny213
06-21-2006, 06:07 PM
I do Public...and they take coupons too. We stay at OLCC and I use the Public and the Walmart on 27 too. The coupons are taken at face value, not doubled and tripled like they are here in TX. Barb

hollyb
06-21-2006, 06:29 PM
Great thank you. Now here's another question, can you find the same brands in Fla that you find at your home store?

Example:
Kraft mac and cheese
perdue chicken nuggets

ducklite
06-21-2006, 08:39 PM
Great thank you. Now here's another question, can you find the same brands in Fla that you find at your home store?

Example:
Kraft mac and cheese
perdue chicken nuggets

Of course!

Publix is a normal grocery store. You'll find the same national brands there that you would at Wegman's, Acme, Super Target, Tops, Giant, Shoprite, or wherever else you shop.

As far as the prices go, they seem to be identical to my local grocery store, which oddly enough has the same name. ;)

Anne

hollyb
06-21-2006, 09:45 PM
Of course!

Publix is a normal grocery store. You'll find the same national brands there that you would at Wegman's, Acme, Super Target, Tops, Giant, Shoprite, or wherever else you shop.

As far as the prices go, they seem to be identical to my local grocery store, which oddly enough has the same name. ;)

Anne

WOW the same name!!!!! You lucky thing. :wave:
This makes me very happy. The kids will be very happy too.

PortieOwner
06-21-2006, 10:21 PM
For cheap groceries in a pleasant atmosphere Super Target is the way to go. There is one in Kissimmee near the 535/192 junction and also one off the Greenway on the way in from the airport.

Portie

Paulab
06-22-2006, 03:40 PM
Hiya all, hilarious thread, we find most things in Publix are HALF the price of what they cost us back here in sunny England!! So stop complaining :wave:

Paula
:wave2:

FlaNative
06-22-2006, 05:25 PM

:rotfl2:

This is too funny. Do you travel much? The world food supply is dominated by a few mega international companies. Result: Sameness everywhere, other than local fruits and such.

Publix is of course my local store as they saturate Florida. When I travel the trick is finding something different from what is in my local store.

I went in a store in Singapore. Half way around the world. 90% of the stuff in there is the identical stuff in the identical container as in Publix. Even the labels are in English. At least in Thailand the wording is different. :teeth:

What is in Singapore? Campbells soup, Bumblebee tuna, Maine sardines, Tasters Choice coffee, Oreos, Johnny Walker Black(got to be the most widely distributed fluid in the world--it is sold everywhere, even in the little corner shop in Hanoi), Heinekin beer, Pepsodent toothpaste, Nestle brand yogurt. Go 10,0000 miles and the store has the SAME STUFF as the Publix down the street. Great if you like the same stuff, horrible if you are looking for some local variation. There is no local difference any more, the giant multinationals are making everyone in the world mass consumers of the same stuff.

MrsM
06-22-2006, 05:43 PM
We have been to Publix on several of our trips to WDW and found the prices and selection to be very good. On our last trip, we went to Winn Dixie, and were disappointed with it compared to Publix. There seemed to be much less of a selection and the prices seemed pretty high. We will either return to Publix or try the Super Walmart next time.

hollyb
06-22-2006, 06:09 PM
The reason I asked if they carry certain things is because when we go to Mi to vist family I can't find alot of things we have here. It was an honest question, we have children so I wanted to make sure.

Sorry no I havent traveled the world like you.

JohnnySharp2
06-23-2006, 01:25 AM
Publix is the best :thumbsup2

courage
06-23-2006, 09:46 AM
I always go to Publix on vacation because they have a great deli - I can get submarine sandwiches, salads, chicken salad, etc.....that gives us some great meals if you have a fridge

utahkennedys
06-23-2006, 10:18 AM
We also love the new Publix kind of near the Premium outlets. On our last trip we went to Winn Dixie for some reason, and it was totally fine too. Just avoid Gooding's like the plague...

powellrj
06-23-2006, 11:49 AM

Example:
Kraft mac and cheese
perdue chicken nuggets

Kraft is a national brand, so most stores will carry this item. They may not carry the exact shape that you want, but they will have the basic.

Perdue could be different. It would depend what warehouse the chain buys from. Not every chain carries perdue, at least not all the stores I am in carries it.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I am not trying to be snarky, but I have children too and I can't imagine ever having to ask about food brands. Do they have allergies that prevent them from eating certain brands? Mine can be pickey, but they have never had a preference to any certain brand. How do you eat in resturants, at friends, in school or any place other than home? Like I said, I am not being snarky, I am really just wondering.

hollyb
06-23-2006, 12:11 PM
Kraft is a national brand, so most stores will carry this item. They may not carry the exact shape that you want, but they will have the basic.

Perdue could be different. It would depend what warehouse the chain buys from. Not every chain carries perdue, at least not all the stores I am in carries it.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I am not trying to be snarky, but I have children too and I can't imagine ever having to ask about food brands. Do they have allergies that prevent them from eating certain brands? Mine can be pickey, but they have never had a preference to any certain brand. How do you eat in resturants, at friends, in school or any place other than home? Like I said, I am not being snarky, I am really just wondering.

Our DS has Autism and he likes certain brands of food. Yes we do eat out and he is fine if we go to places he likes. It 's a tough challange but he is worth it.

spiceycat
06-23-2006, 12:21 PM
Our DS has Autism and he likes certain brands of food. Yes we do eat out and he is fine if we go to places he likes. It 's a tough challange but he is worth it.

Holly you might also try the Disabilities board - lots of parents of children with Autism post there.

some stay offsite because they can't afford FW cabins or the DVC resorts and their children needs more room than the value or moderates have....

you can also ask publix if the stores in Orlando/Kissimmee - have these things
http://www.publix.com/

hollyb
06-23-2006, 01:07 PM
Holly you might also try the Disabilities board - lots of parents of children with Autism post there.

some stay offsite because they can't afford FW cabins or the DVC resorts and their children needs more room than the value or moderates have....

you can also ask publix if the stores in Orlando/Kissimmee - have these things
http://www.publix.com/

Thanks we thought long and hard and changed our minds alot before we decided on renting a house. DS needs down time and a "normal" routine. Even the drive back from the parks is good downtime for him. I will go over and check the other board thanks.

pershing
06-27-2006, 09:29 PM
Hiya all, hilarious thread, we find most things in Publix are HALF the price of what they cost us back here in sunny England!! So stop complaining :wave:

Paula
:wave2:

I gather we should be more grateful! :angel: However, our electric bills doubled this past winter, and we are taking out small loans to fill our gas tanks.

So we're a little grumpy about the price of anything nowadays! :rolleyes:

As for brands being the same or different, I've seen alot of brands in the South that are not up here in the North. Also, meat is much cheaper.

Is there a Publix near DTD? or the Nick Hotel?

I-4WDW
06-28-2006, 12:05 AM
These two stores are close to DTD and the Nick Hotel (have been to both of these stores, and they good locations)

Regency Village Shopping Center (Store #00812) (closest store to Downtown Disney)
3 E
8145 Vineland Ave
Orlando, FL 32821-6847
Main: (407) 238-9924
Fax: (407) 238-4650

Map Driving Directions

Poinciana Place (Store #00351)

5 SE
2915 Vineland Rd
Kissimmee, FL 34746-5505
Main: (407) 396-7525
Fax: (407) 396-5423

Hope that helps!

Cannot_Wait_4Disney
06-28-2006, 12:11 AM
I'm at a loss to understand why anyone would want to eat Pop Tarts at all, let alone dedicate a whole aisle to them (we have about 4 flavours here).

Chalk it up to one of those unsolved mysteries such as why the Australians like Vegemite.

DOOM1001
06-28-2006, 12:27 AM
Being from florida Publix is pretty much where I always shop, It's clean, has a great deli, nice stores and fair prices.If you want cheaper then hit the super wal-Mart or a winn-dixie, cheaper but NOT as good as Publix. Gooding's is decent but expensive.