PDA

View Full Version : I'm on low-income

tdickensheets
06-21-2006, 01:00 AM
I live in SHA. I on SSI. I work 3 or 4 days a week. I like togo to Walt Disney World. Cost too much togo there. I live in Seattle, WA. Can anyone help me with my financial cost.

bambii
06-21-2006, 01:36 AM
my husband and oldest son is on SSI. and I just started working a part time job.. we are saving every pennie we can, so hope fully we can go next summer. some people sell stuff on Ebay to make a little extra.. I would like to have a yard sell to help but our managers say NO :sad:. we try to save 5.00 a check.. we are going to fly out of an air port that is 450 miles away and fly on allegient air.. you can save a lot. using them..

Evil Queen
06-21-2006, 10:01 AM
Right now I am unemployed. I was laid off after 9 years with this one company.

But am only $295.00 from finishing paying off my trip (minus gas, tolls, souvie money). I was able to get the Free Dining plan.

I've been pinching pennies since our trip last Sept.

As of right now, the only benefit I receive from the state is unemployment. I have applied for Medicaid for my DS10, until I get a new job and insurance. I look daily for jobs, but so far nothing has come from it, but I keep trying. :goodvibes

If you try, it can be done, it's just hard. We eat cheaper (but not worse), we don't go out as often. We will go see a movie today, but that's because it's a present to my son's best friend for his birthday.

I haven't touched my savings for any of this. Hopefully, I won't have to. If the due date of the trip gets here before it's paid off, I may borrow from it, just means no souvies for me in WDW, that's not a problem. Because I would have to "pay back" my savings account.

Garage sales, ebay, if able do odd jobs for neighbors and friends for money.

I made $150. from my school teacher sister for helping her prep her classroom for summer, over the course of 3 days-about 4-5 hours a day. Normally I would help without the money, but she knows I'm trying to go to Disney.

If you bank with Bank of AMerica, they have the keep the change program. If you don't bank with them see if your bank offers anything special along those lines.

Save and roll coins. I think I'm at about $75.00 in about 2-3 months.

See about getting credit cards with reward programs.

Hate to say it, but get rid of your internet service and save your money from that. Cable if you have it, live without it for a few months.

We haven't had to give up anything yet, except the going out to eat and shopping like we are use to. But if need to, we'll give up the cable and interent for the summer.

All my bills are current and up to date. Anything left over from my checks, I put towards Disney.

Good luck-I hope you get to go.

ceecee
06-21-2006, 10:26 AM
Be thankful you have gotten to go to Disneyland three times, some people never get to go at all. Since it looks like you went in 2004 from a previous post, why not take a few years to save. Every time you want to buy something you don't really need...stop and put that $ into your "Disney Fund". Use coupons and save that $ as well. Good Luck!

patsal
06-21-2006, 10:58 AM
It is all based on priorities and a few extra $$'s add up over time. Think about what you do that may not be a necessity and make the decision to save that money rather than use it now. Over time it will add up and you will have the money to go. Living on a fixed income is never easy, the way you chose to spend your $$ may make a difference in how soon you go--see if there is someone else to go with as well, sometimes keeping one another motivated to save and excited about how close you are to getting to go can be fun as well. In addition the two of you could split the cost of: a hotel room--at the budget resorts that could be only $50.00 rather than $100 each. For food you could share at CS and other TS meals.

dvcgirl
06-21-2006, 11:19 AM
I'm not so sure the OP was looking for advice. Sounds more like the OP was looking for actual contributions to his or her "like to go to Walt Disney World Fund". I could be wrong, but that's how I read it initially....

mrsboz
06-21-2006, 11:35 AM
bambii: Where is the statue of Ariel? My girls would love to see it? by the way your children are adorable!

lindakmonty
06-21-2006, 11:38 AM
I'm not so sure the OP was looking for advice. Sounds more like the OP was looking for actual contributions to his or her "like to go to Walt Disney World Fund". I could be wrong, but that's how I read it initially....

I agree, I read it that way as well... but we all do the same thing here... we SAVE for it!

Chicago526
06-21-2006, 11:42 AM
It's a shame you live in WA, otherwise I'd suggest you camp at Ft. Wilderness, that can be the cheapest way of all to go to WDW! But WA is to far to drive all the way to FL, the drive down would cost you more in the long run.

Certain WDW costs are fixed. Value resort rooms generaly don't go below $99 a night, the only way to stay cheaper is to stay off-site, so consider looking at non-Disney hotels to save money. But if you stay off-site, be aware that you'll either have to rent a car to get the parks or rely on the hotel's shuttle, so take that into consideration in your trip planning and budgeting. Also, park tickets are another fixed cost, so you should plan your park days ahead of time so there are no wasted days or plus features on your passes.

Airline tickets are a sort-of fixed cost. While prices DO fluctuate, they won't go below a certain price, so you'd need to budget at least the minimum you think you can get the tickets for. What can help is the time of year and days of the week you travel. Skip the high season times (this will help with hotel costs, too) and try to go during the slowest periods. Also, if possible, avoid flying on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, as these are the most popular days to fly. It's not that the airlines charge more, it that those are the fist tickets to sell out, which drives the fares up. Also, morning flights to FL and mid-afternoon flights leaving FL are also the most popular, be flexible on your times, if the times you want are expensive, look at alternitives.

Your biggest area to cut corners is food. It's possible to stay at Disney and eat cheaply with some proper planning. Do a seach of these forums, they are several threads that list great ways to save money, from eating in your room, to spliting meals to the cheapest places to get alot of food for the money.

As for saving for the trip itself, just keep watching these boards. There are always tons of ideas on how to save money, budget your income properly, and earn extra money towards your trip. Don't be affraid to ask questions if you want to know something you don't see in any of the threads. We are all very nice and will be happy to answer your questions.

zalansky
06-21-2006, 11:49 AM

Agreed.

patsal
06-21-2006, 12:07 PM
Agreed.
Well I kinda thought the same thing, but I figured "teach to fish versus give a fish"! ;)

pweyl36
06-21-2006, 12:12 PM
O.K. :furious: FLAME AWAY. let me get this straight,your on welfare(not that there is any thing wrong getting help when needed.) and now you want to
save for disney? Isn't there other important things to save for than disney?

musclecar_72
06-21-2006, 12:18 PM
O.K. :furious: FLAME AWAY. let me get this straight,your on welfare(not that there is any thing wrong getting help when needed.) and now you want to

I was thinking the same thing! No offense, but I don't like financing other peoples trips! :scared1:

barkley
06-21-2006, 12:23 PM
just a reminder to anyone on ssi-if you have more in a bank account than the max allowed (used to be $2000) for even one minute of one day-you are entirely ineligible for that month's payment, and since ssi is paid out after the fact (as in may is paid in june) once "ievs" (the income and eligibility verifications systems) triggers the notice to your worker your check will get stopped or you'll end up with an overpayment that will reduce your checks for many months to follow.

also, all income (be it earnings or gifts of cash, "items of need" or the like) must be reported to the social security administration for consideration in budgeting an ssi grant (failure to do so is deemed fraud and prosecution is activly pursued). :angel:

mickeyfan2
06-21-2006, 12:29 PM
I read it that way too. Hope we are both wrong.

DiznEeyore
06-21-2006, 12:53 PM
I read it that way too. Hope we are both wrong.
Wow ... I didn't read it that way at all. Guess I don't have a suspicious mind, LOL!! It never occurred to me that someone would actually think strangers would pay for their trip?! :confused3

Disneydreaming6
06-21-2006, 01:12 PM
I read it as they were hoping someone would contribute to their disney fund. silly me picking up extra hours at work to pay for my disney trip, should of just posted here hoping someone would help pay for me to go. :confused3

MyGoofy26
06-21-2006, 01:28 PM

That's exactly how I read it, so if you're wrong you're not alone!

BethR
06-21-2006, 01:30 PM
Hi tdickensheets! And :welcome: to the DIS! You have come to the right place. You will find lots of great information here to help you plan and save for a Disney vacation. If you are entitled to have a savings being on SSI (and I don't know the rules regarding this), then this is the place to learn the right way to make extra money, save what you make, and then to visit Disney in the most economical fashion.

Good Luck! :)

Chicago526
06-21-2006, 01:30 PM
I live in SHA. I on SSI. I work 3 or 4 days a week. I like togo to Walt Disney World. Cost too much togo there. I live in Seattle, WA. Can anyone help me with my financial cost.

I guess you could read it either way, the grammar through out the post isn't very good. I chose in my previous post to mean that she want's help to get her costs for the trip as low as possible.

tdickensheets, if you are still here, can you clarify?

BethR
06-21-2006, 01:32 PM
I choose in my previous post to mean that she want's help to get her costs for the trip as low as possible.

And I choose to believe that as well. ::yes:: So let's not turn against a new member when what they have posted could be read in different ways.

meloneyb21
06-21-2006, 02:06 PM
O.K. FLAME AWAY. let me get this straight,your on welfare(not that there is any thing wrong getting help when needed.) and now you want to

Although your statement DOES make some sense pweyl36, just because a person is on welfare/SSI doesn't mean that they don't have the right to plan for a WDW trip if it makes them happy. Some people CAN get ahead and some people can't, but I think everyone deserves a chance to go to WDW if they think they can. Besides, OP probably wants to go because OP's tired of worrying about everything else.

On the flip side, I hope the OP really wasn't trying to get a hand out, because if we have to work hard and save for our WDW trips, what makes them think that they don't have to. I think she meant advice but couldn't phrase it correctly. :surfweb:

disneysnowflake
06-21-2006, 02:17 PM
tdickensheets.

I think it would be realistic to try to go to Disney in 2007 or 2008. Then you can save up enough to go.

I'd suggest making a budget to see if you can afford to put a set dollar amount away each month.
We save our spare change toward Disney.

Can you list things on ebay? How about having a yard sale or selling things at a local flea market or swap meet?

We saved for 5 years to be able to go to WDW the first time as a family. We had enough money left over to go again the following year.

Just remember, saving little bits at a time may seem like not very much, but over time it adds up. Then you'll have a fantastic trip.

Good luck!!!

disykat
06-21-2006, 02:20 PM
I live in WA too and because of the distance - go rarely. I went in 1990 and again in 2001. We have a good income, it's just not something we consider ourselves able to afford often. I really don't know anyone IRL that goes in any regular fashion. It is not unusual in my circle of friends (again, all people with pretty good incomes) to spend several years planning and saving for a trip to WDW. I think when we read these boards it's easy to get caught up in "everyone else is going, why can't I?" and "everyone else stays on site" and "everyone else eats at nice restaurants there"....

It's a bummer living far from such a great vacation destination, but it is what it is. It simply isn't as easy budgetwise for us to get there as those that live within a few hour drive. If you're determined to go despite your income challenges, just start saving a little bit each month by cutting costs and then find the cheapest flight and accomodations possible.

WatchinCaptKangaroo
06-21-2006, 02:40 PM
O.K. :furious: FLAME AWAY. let me get this straight,your on welfare(not that there is any thing wrong getting help when needed.) and now you want to save for disney? Isn't there other important things to save for than disney?

SSI is not welfare. It is run by Social Security. The program is different, the qualifications are different. SSI is a long term social security benefit for those who are disabled and have not earned enough for SSDI.

lindakmonty
06-21-2006, 02:44 PM
I'm not trying to be rude in any way... but I know people that are on SSI that do not work 3 or 4 days a week and they have $400-$500 a month left after paying all their bills... that is more than a lot of people here on the dis... If you're looking for tips to save money you are at the right place, but if you're looking for a hand out, I seriously hope you were joking or trying to see what kind of reaction you would get.

meloneyb21
06-21-2006, 02:47 PM
I'm not trying to be rude in any way... but I know people that are on SSI that do not work 3 or 4 days a week and they have $400-$500 a month left after paying all their bills... that is more than a lot of people here on the dis... If you're looking for tips to save money you are at the right place, but if you're looking for a hand out, I seriously hope you were joking or trying to see what kind of reaction you would get.
::yes::

tarheelmjfan
06-21-2006, 02:58 PM
:offtopic:

meloneyb21,
I love reading your posts. Everytime I see your little girl's pic. it makes me smile. I even had to show it to my DH who doesn't read the Dis. :)

Partially, back on topic..... I had no idea what SSI was. I'm glad someone cleared that up. It's a shame to give someone a hard time over something we don't fully understand.

meloneyb21
06-21-2006, 03:36 PM
meloneyb21,
I love reading your posts. Everytime I see your little girl's pic. it makes me smile. I even had to show it to my DH who doesn't read the Dis.
OH....Thank You pixiedust: princess:

snickerharley
06-21-2006, 03:37 PM
I think this person is just :stir: and looking for a hand out :mad:

nbodyhome
06-21-2006, 03:38 PM

That is what I thought as well.

ceecee
06-21-2006, 03:53 PM
I guess I didn't know what SSI was. I thought it was like disability and the poster could only work 3 days a week due to that disability!

barkley
06-21-2006, 03:57 PM
SSI is not welfare. It is run by Social Security. The program is different, the qualifications are different. SSI is a long term social security benefit for those who are disabled and have not earned enough for SSDI.

not to add fuel to the fire, but tech. (according to federal regulations and definitions) ssi is an 'entitlement' based welfare program-that's why in addition to being elderly or disabled without sufficient quarters to qualify for ss retirement or disability the recipeint does have to meet additional income and assett eligibility standards (thats why lots of disabled kids whose parents earn not much above minimum wage do not qualify for the program-the minimal income and assetts they own disqualify them). ssi, unlike other forms of disability is a program in which your eligibility is "looked at" on a day to day eligibility basis-ineligible one day/ineligible the entire month. for years it was administered through state or county "welfare" departments until it became more cost effective for ss administration to take over.

barkley
06-21-2006, 03:59 PM
I guess I didn't know what SSI was. I thought it was like disability and the poster could only work 3 days a week due to that disability!

you can and are encouraged to work, but it there is a cap to how much you can earn and if too much it is budgeted against your grant. workers are also trained to follow trends in work habits to see if a person should be weaned or totaly cut off the program because of their work history (just cuz your doc sez you can't work does'nt mean ss doc's say you cant).

faindrops27
06-21-2006, 04:11 PM
Well, Op, where are you, what did you mean?? If you were looking for a handout. I dont think you will be likely to find it here. I love to go on vacations. But, basically am on a fixed income, and I work very hard, 5 days a week. Saute cook, in a 125 degree kitchen. No lie, for pennies to the dollar. I do however have compassion for you, and your family. The best advice is save up, every penny and. Try to go, when you can get the free dining plan. :wave2:

Littlemotherhaywood
06-21-2006, 04:30 PM
Wow. I'm impressed with how quickly everyone here at the friendly Disboards chose to flame someone without complete knowledge of the situation. I suppose they could have been asking for a handout, but honestly, I doubt it. I simply read they wanted advice on how to make a trip work as cheaply as possible. I really don't think anyone has the right to judge others or their circumstances and I recently stopped visiting a similar forum because the people there felt it was okay to pick others apart. I'm not like that and I don't like to associate with people like that so I sincerely hope that what I've read on this thread was written in haste with little forethought because I would hate to think of my disfriends that way. Now, does anyone have any real advice for this person, or just more flames?

barkley
06-21-2006, 05:43 PM
there is a tremendous amount of excellent advice in this thread, both on how to cut back on expenses to save for, and have a less costly wdw trip.

jstbcuz
06-21-2006, 05:46 PM
Well said LittleMotherHaywood! That's the one thing I dislike about boards/forums and MSN and such. IT is SOOOOO EASY to misconstrue what the meaning behind the post because you cant hear the inflection in their voice. I think we should all take a little more time before flaming to find out pertinent information and not jump to conclusions.

mommiepoppins
06-21-2006, 07:21 PM
are you saying that poor people should not have the same opertunity as others? :scared1:

pweyl36
06-21-2006, 07:34 PM
are you saying that poor people should not have the same opertunity as others? :scared1:

If you are living off of tax payers yes. If you lost your job would you worry about doing disney on a budget?

barkley
06-21-2006, 07:37 PM

not all people on ssi or other public assistance are "poor" by any means (not saying the majority but a percentage)-i administered many cases wherein people with relativly small families (maybe mom/dad/2-3 kids) were getting as much as 60-70K per year in tax free income (between work incentive programs, earned income tax credits, specialized grants....) and they had far more opportunities than the adverage full time working family could dream of (full ride financial aide for the kids in private schools, fully paid high end camps for the kids to attend, fully reimbursed daycare expenses, access to "season of sharing" funds for trips to disney and other places, housing subsidies that required only 5% of thier income be paid on housing/utilities...). these were not people who lacked by virtue of their being "unemployed", nor were they incapable of gainful employment.

MyGoofy26
06-21-2006, 07:37 PM
Wow. I'm impressed with how quickly everyone here at the friendly Disboards chose to flame someone without complete knowledge of the situation. I suppose they could have been asking for a handout, but honestly, I doubt it. I simply read they wanted advice on how to make a trip work as cheaply as possible. I really don't think anyone has the right to judge others or their circumstances and I recently stopped visiting a similar forum because the people there felt it was okay to pick others apart. I'm not like that and I don't like to associate with people like that so I sincerely hope that what I've read on this thread was written in haste with little forethought because I would hate to think of my disfriends that way. Now, does anyone have any real advice for this person, or just more flames?

No offense Littlemotherhaywood - but I don't think that a few people posting that they read the OP's request a certain way is equivalent to everyone flaming the OP. Other than one or two posts, they (and I include myself in that "they") have simply stated what amounts to "This is how I read it" and left it at that. No judgement, no name calling, nothing. In fact, when dvcgirl first posted it said, "I could be wrong but. . ." and others stated that they got the same interpretation from the post. If anything it was an opportunity for the OP to jump in and clarify his/her position and intentions - is it for advice? Or is it for a handout? I have seen NOBODY insisting that this thread absolutely is asking for a handout and condemning the OP for it.

I hate to see people jump in and begin villifying people for relatively nothing because that's when people get defensive and the claws really come out. Things turn ugly when people start policing posts.

summerrluvv
06-21-2006, 08:34 PM
Millions of children that have a diagnosed disability get SSI and Medicaid. Should they not be entitled to vacations either because they get that type of assistance from the government? I don't think anyone has the right to tell someone else they cannot take a vacation because they get help from the government. Would you say the same thing to seniors that get Medicare and get all of their healthcare paid for by taxpayers?

CJRN
06-21-2006, 08:48 PM
:rolleyes1

putting on flame suit

Am I the only one that thought TROLL when reading the OP? :confused3

ducklite
06-21-2006, 08:51 PM

That's the way I interpreted it. I sure hope that wasn't the intent...

Anne

barbeml
06-21-2006, 08:57 PM

putting on flame suit

You're not the only one. There has been so much of this lately on the DIS that I am pretty wary these days.

As others have said, if the OP is looking for advice on saving money and saving on a WDW vacation, s/he has come to the right place.

Soupermom
06-21-2006, 08:58 PM
okay. I'll bite. I'm guessing this thread will be closed soon. I, too, thought "troll" when I read it. Especially if you think about the user name being used. That's all I'm going to say.

:wave2: Off to read some ways to save more money now...

taragl
06-21-2006, 09:01 PM
Skirting the "intention of the post" issue for a moment... as far as vacations for cash-strapped families, it can be a truly rejuvenating experience. Though it may seem like an impossible hurdle to ever get "out of the hole" (whatever the particulars of your hole are), a vacation is a tangible and achievable goal.

During the first ten years of our marriage, my little family did not have the means for more that a weekend trip to nearby locations. Last year, we were finally in a stable enough position for a Disney trip, and we had the time of our lives. What it did for us in terms of relaxation and togetherness was incredible. Families in general need an occasional pressure-release, and families in tense financial situations need it even more.

tdickensheets: If advice is what you're looking for, the best piece I've ever heard is to "pay yourself first." Have a certain percent of your small income set aside into savings before you even see it. Saving seemed impossible before we began doing that, now we rarely miss the portion being saved and it added up quickly to another vacation -- good luck!

ANTSS2001
06-21-2006, 09:05 PM

that's the same impression I got but then I hope I am wrong :confused:

zalansky
06-21-2006, 09:13 PM
okay. I'll bite. I'm guessing this thread will be closed soon. I, too, thought "troll" when I read it. Especially if you think about the user name being used. That's all I'm going to say.

Okay I just read the screen name, hadn't done that. Clearly a troll. What is it with trolls? Are they dejected DIS-ers lookinng for revenge and they think pot stirring is the way to go? Or just somebody with way too much time on their hands? :confused3

tinker&belle
06-21-2006, 09:14 PM

:wave2: Off to read some ways to save more money now...

I thought the same thing from their name, but I thought I just had a dirty mind... :lmao:

Trixiezzz
06-21-2006, 09:21 PM

putting on flame suit

What's a TROLL? :confused3

Trixiezzz
06-21-2006, 09:25 PM
OK, nevermind. Found it:

"....In Internet terminology, a troll is someone who comes into an established community such as an online discussion forum, and posts inflammatory, rude or offensive messages designed intentionally to annoy and antagonize the existing members or disrupt the flow of discussion...."

jam217
06-21-2006, 09:28 PM
Something else to keep in mind....according to another post he/she wrote in the Disney Trips Forum, this person has already been to Disneyland 3 times (last time in 2004).

Evil Queen
06-21-2006, 09:56 PM
Well said LittleMotherHaywood! That's the one thing I dislike about boards/forums and MSN and such. IT is SOOOOO EASY to misconstrue what the meaning behind the post because you cant hear the inflection in their voice. I think we should all take a little more time before flaming to find out pertinent information and not jump to conclusions.

I just wished that LittleMotherHaywood would not had said "everyone", because not everyone is thinking anything other than the OP was asking for advice on how to save. As for what other posters are believing the intent to be, the OP's start post could be seen as a request for a handout. That's just not how I took it.

raammartin
06-21-2006, 10:24 PM

putting on flame suit

(I thought the same thing)

Tinkerbell_Tiffany
06-21-2006, 10:32 PM
well if nobody else is gonna say it I am
GET A JOB!!
I by no means have alot of money, I just took a part time job to pay for our vacation in september, I also do stuff on the side for extra money like e-bay yard sales.
not to sound so harsh but that's just ridiculous! JMHO

LuluLovesDisney
06-21-2006, 10:45 PM
Okay, just in case this is serious:

if you don't have money for a trip you can:

1. enter contests and hope to win (Mousesavers.com)

2. sell stuff you own already or make something to sell (jewelry, etc.)

3. get a job

I do all three. Plus save a lot in my ING and buy a lot less than I used to.

OTOH, if you really are that tight on money and have two kids, I just want to remind you that children need other things A LOT more than they need Disney. Make sure that they can be successful, educated, safe, productive citizens.

Here's the embarrassing part:

I am very well educated, I promise. I'll post my degrees, majors, minors and SAT and Praxis scores if necessary, but I have absolutely no street smarts or common sense at all. Can someone please PM me explaining the "username" business. I don't get it. My mind is too clean, maybe? :laundy:

Chickysmom
06-22-2006, 01:35 AM
me too about the username....I'm just clueless too.

Lisa loves Pooh
06-22-2006, 02:38 AM
me too about the username....I'm just clueless too.

Me too.

I've even tried saying it 3x fast and I got nuttin'!

tink2dw
06-22-2006, 04:59 AM
I dreamed about a WDW trip for ten years before I got to go. And then it was another 10 yrs before I got to go back to WDW. And my present trip is a bust, I just had to cancel that trip to WDW. It looks like it maybe a while before I get back to WDW. But as with that 1st dream, it is the dreaming and learning and making plans that will never come true that helps me through all the daily trials and tribulations.

I same folks don't think twice about making a yearly trip to WDW and some scrape and save and dream about that day.

It doesn't matter!!

This huge community the DIS is here for ALL DISNEY FANS!! Rich, poor, or the Dreamers. I'm always thinking 6 months a head, planning, Learning about EVERY new thing Disney is doing. Making sure I know about every discount available.
Just in case......

I don't think it is fair to assume what the Original Poster was thinking.
What a terrible welcome to the DIS. What if that was how you were treat when you ask a question?? And if the OP was trying to make trouble, what better way to stop that kind of thing than to just answer their question. Instead of creating what they were looking for. Is this what you want new DIS'ers to read??

PIXIE DUST TO ALL ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wishing you All a Great WDW trip!!! Especially the Dreamers!!

dustysky
06-22-2006, 05:13 AM

putting on flame suit

I dont see how that was not picked up on RIGHT AWAY! Given the current "other" thread its not a shock this one was started...... so sad :sad2:

BethR
06-22-2006, 07:30 AM
I dont see how that was not picked up on RIGHT AWAY! Given the current "other" thread its not a shock this one was started...... so sad :sad2:

"Other" thread? What am I missing???

travelbug
06-22-2006, 07:53 AM
"Other" thread? What am I missing???I'm figuring it must be the thread discussing the difference between rich and poor. Pretty interesting discussion there. popcorn::

IwasatWDWforamonth
06-22-2006, 07:55 AM
What littlemotherhaywood said :)

mcgrawfan
06-22-2006, 07:58 AM
Me too.

I've even tried saying it 3x fast and I got nuttin'!

Thank Goodness!! I am not the only one!! I usually need someone to draw me a picture. I am kind of slow with these things. :confused3

The Disney Bunch
06-22-2006, 08:25 AM
So how come we haven't heard from the OP to clarify what she/he is looking for? I am always suspicious when an OP throws something iffy out & then disappears from the conversation.
It looked like, to me, she/he was looking for a handout - I may be wrong but she/he did not explain what her/his intentions or expectations were. If she/he was looking for ideas on how to save money, then say it that way.
Come on, OP - explain what you need or are looking for? If you have gone to Disneyland 3 times, obviously you know how to save money somewhat so what do need from DIS to help you get to WDW?

jekajekalynn
06-22-2006, 09:48 AM
I know there are alot of ppl who think this person is looking for a handout (including me :blush: ), but am I the only one who thinks the person writting this is a kid? lol Look at their other post.... hmmmm... :rolleyes1

MyZoeJane
06-22-2006, 09:52 AM
I sooooooooo smell a troll!!!! :stir: :stir: :stir: :stir: :stir:

It's funny, the DISboards have really helped me to "practice" what I have been trying to move toward in my life lately, and that is PATIENCE and TOLERANCE.

I can be a pretty nasty person sometimes.... my anxiety issues certainly don't help and being a full time student with A LOT of homework and a SAHM is enough stress to make any woman bonkers but thanks to the DIS I have been "practicing" how to not be so judgemental or critical.

I'm happy to say that my first reaction to this post was to roll my eyes, giggle, and think, "Oh, to have THAT much time on my hands!" :rotfl2:

However, I have to say... it's a stretch for me to think that someone would feel justified in choosing a trip to Disney World over paying for their own child's health insurance. I don't see how that is socially responsible? :confused3

Littlemotherhaywood
06-22-2006, 10:10 AM
No offense Littlemotherhaywood - but I don't think that a few people posting that they read the OP's request a certain way is equivalent to everyone flaming the OP. Other than one or two posts, they (and I include myself in that "they") have simply stated what amounts to "This is how I read it" and left it at that. No judgement, no name calling, nothing. In fact, when dvcgirl first posted it said, "I could be wrong but. . ." and others stated that they got the same interpretation from the post. If anything it was an opportunity for the OP to jump in and clarify his/her position and intentions - is it for advice? Or is it for a handout? I have seen NOBODY insisting that this thread absolutely is asking for a handout and condemning the OP for it.

I hate to see people jump in and begin villifying people for relatively nothing because that's when people get defensive and the claws really come out. Things turn ugly when people start policing posts.

Understandable. I was not policing, simply stating my opinion on the matter. I also assumed (my mistake clearly) that people would know whether they fit into the flaming category or not. Basically, whether you state you could be wrong or not, you were passing judgement without the details. Now before I get flames for that...it's JMO. Is it really that hard to be nice and offer honest advice to a new person? This post just seemed genuinely mean on the part of many especially with all of the little smilies.....almost as though some enjoyed saying such mean things. How is one supposed to interpret that? You're certainly entitled to think what you will, I just think everyone should remember that there are people with feelings behind every screen.

Littlemotherhaywood
06-22-2006, 10:13 AM
I just wished that LittleMotherHaywood would not had said "everyone", because not everyone is thinking anything other than the OP was asking for advice on how to save. As for what other posters are believing the intent to be, the OP's start post could be seen as a request for a handout. That's just not how I took it.

Sorry to have generalized, but the bandwagon seemed pretty large here. Of course I did not mean every person who posted and next time will clarify better.

taximomfor4
06-22-2006, 10:17 AM
Hi tdickensheets!

Good Luck! :)

ANyone else wonder about the choice of screen name? (Sorry if someone else already posted. I am doing a BIG Disboard no-no and posting before finishing reading.)

For those not"getting it"...the trick is to say the name slowly, one syllable at a time.

MEG&MINNIE
06-22-2006, 10:23 AM
My exact thoughts,too ....A TROLL

aka-mad4themouse
06-22-2006, 11:03 AM
I think that the OP has gotten what they were looking for from this thread and it's time to put it to rest. If they have any further questions, I'm sure that they will post them in a new thread.