PDA

View Full Version : Crayola Factory?

DebMcDonald
06-20-2006, 11:45 AM
Has anyone visited the Crayola factory/museum. We are taking a drive from Mass to Detroit and I thought maybe we would detour for a visit - is it worth it.

My other thoughts are also Sesame Park - my girls are 3, 5 and 12 (she's at an age she doesn't like anything, so this will be no different than daily living).

jstbcuz
06-20-2006, 06:41 PM
If you are referring to the one in PA (cant remember the town), we went there I believe 3 years ago. I was pretty disappointed. You dont actually get to go to the factory and see them make crayons. They do show you how it is done, but on a much smaller scale. Other than that, there is a portion that is for the gift shop and an area where the kids can play. That was about it.
I wouldnt detour too far out of the way to see it, but that is just my opinion.

Bella the Ball 360
06-20-2006, 07:30 PM
It was not cheap either. I thought it would be free but it is not and the gift shop is outrageous. Crayons you get at Wal Mart on their back to school sale for 25c are like 225 pr box. Do not bother to go unless you are desperate for wasting time.

tammyandtommy
06-20-2006, 07:33 PM
I live an hour from there, we love it for something different to do, it can be pricey and no you dont see the "factory" but its a crafy place for the kids to play and experiment with all the crayola products. Yes the gift shop is pricey but there are a few crayola originals there, as a local we enjoy it for something to do we get our moneys worth and spend a few hours there, but if you run theu it is quick and not worth it, you have to relax o experience it, and watch your kids have a ball!

lazarru
06-20-2006, 07:40 PM
We live abpout 15 min from it and went 2 months ago. I wouldn't travel more than the 15 min to get to it. As everyone has already stated everything in the store was more expensive then you can get at stores 2 mins from home. As far as the things to do you really can't spend more than 2 hrs and only that long because of the crowds and the fact that you have to wait to do things. There's about 7-8 craft stations where you can do things, there's also a couple of others where you can pay ever more to make a tee shirt, hat, bag etc

doubletrouble_vb
06-21-2006, 09:27 AM
I guess I'll disagree here... doing something different even if it disappoints adds to the spice of life. Another persons disappointment can also be your good time. I stopped at the factory a couple years after it opened and it was good for a quick stop to satisfy my curiousity. If you include some other stops like it during your ride out to Detroit you might have a fun day.

Things you pass along I-78 that I can think of...

-- The Crayola Factory and Dorney Park/Wild Water Kingdom are both in the ABE area. Just past there is Roadside America...sort of musty and goofy its neat if you like model railroads and a vintage view of America. There is a Cabela's along that route if you haven't been to one. Hershey Park...in Hershey/Harrisburg is along I-78.

All you need is AAA guidebook to PA and use it to do things you only do once, maybe twice. Not everything has to have the non-stop excitement of a Disney.

For the amount of time you spend detouring to the south to get to Sesame Place on I-76 I might just look into to doing something on I-78.

Desnik
06-21-2006, 09:40 AM
We drove there from NY and we didn't think it was worth it. We thought it was going to be a factyory and show how they make the crayons! It was cute with different stations for the kids to draw and they got some crayons for free. They also have a store. I would not go out of my way for it.

Now Hershey Park is worth going out of your way for. Even if you just go to Chocolate World and the tour is FREE!!!!