PDA

View Full Version : Freezer Cooking? Cook and Freeze?

PlaneJoy1
06-20-2006, 11:43 AM
Has anyone heard of this? There is supposed to be some good books that give you all the ingrediants and meal directrions for like 30 days. You set aside 1 day to cook (like ALL day) and in the end freeze a months worth of meals that you freeze and eat later.

I'm not having any luck finding the books so I thought I would ask my Dis friends if they had any info.

Thanks!

redshoes
06-20-2006, 11:53 AM
I have done this method of cooking before. For me the drawback was finding a whole day that I could devote to cooking- with two little boys that is a little hard. Anyways, I bought one cookbook- "The Freezer Cooking Manual from 30 day Gourmet". It had some great recipes and then some loser ones. The one thing that I found was to take some of my family's favorite recipes and freezer them. In otherwords, I would make two casseroles instead one, eat one and freeze the other. I also worked at My Girlfriends Kitchen for a little while and learned some of their recipes and now I make them myself and freeze them. If I can help you in anyway, let me know :) .

KristinU
06-20-2006, 12:14 PM
I just posted on the not eating out thread about one I have - it is called Don't Panic: Dinner is in the Freezer. I like it quite a bit! So far we've tried veggie lasagna, ginger sesame chicken, chicken enchiladas, a steak roll using ricotta and spinach (I can't remember the name), and BBQ spare ribs. All have been :thumbsup2

sameyeyam
06-20-2006, 12:29 PM
I don't know of any cookbooks, but one thing I do to help cut down on time is cook & freeze hamburger. It is easy to cook in large batches, then just freeze in sandwich bags. It can be easily be used for spaghetti, tacos, chili, casseroles, etc.. Takes a lot of the cooking time out of many standard recipes.

I also do the same thing with chicken breast. Bake them ahead of time and freeze, then all I have to do is thaw in microwave for a few minutes and make chicken taco's, throw chicken over the top of a green salad, grab hamburger buns and make chicken sandwiches, chop up and make into chicken salad, etc...

MeggerasMa
06-20-2006, 04:56 PM
Yep, I have it right in front of me. Once-A-Month Cooking is the title and it is by Mimi Wilson & Mary Beth Lagerborg. It is published by Focus on the Family and copyrighted in 1986 and 1992. It is "a time-saving, budget-stretching plan to prepare delicious meals". I used this method for quite a while when my children were younger. With a job outside of the home and three very close in age little ones, it was one way to be able to work 8 hours and then come home and be able to spend time with them rather than focusing on meal preparation. Now, DH and I love to cook when we choose, but also frequent all types of dining places, because the nest is empty (more or less). Good luck! It's worth a try!

Iott Family
06-20-2006, 05:13 PM
Yahoo! Groups has several resources. I subscribe to friendly freezer. They are great over there! Also the flylady has some resources on this, too! www.30daygourmet.com is a great website. Have fun!

leila
06-20-2006, 05:18 PM
I have the "Frozen Assets Cook for a Day Eat for a Month" by Deborah Taylor-Hough. I really like it & it was VERY helpful when I used to actually cook :rotfl2: . If you don't want to spend an entire day cooking you can always do half the amount of meals & use half a day instead. I highly recommend it!

LisaNJ25
06-20-2006, 06:21 PM
I bought my food saver just so I could do this... but I haven't yet lol.

Remember you can always start smaller instead of getting overwhelmed with 30 days worth.

tinkarooni
06-21-2006, 07:29 AM
I also worked at My Girlfriends Kitchen for a little while and learned some of their recipes and now I make them myself and freeze them. If I can help you in anyway, let me know :) .[/QUOTE]

What is My Girlfriend's Kitchen? We have a place called Super Suppers by us which is a meal preperation place. Is this the same thing? Could you share some of your recipes? I've been trying to go to Super Suppers and remember the recipes ( they will not give them out) but it is getting to be too expensive. Thanks so much!

PlaneJoy1
06-21-2006, 07:38 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions! I knew there would be a wealth of information on the Dis. :) Now, I need to go to amazon.com and see if I can order these books!

Thanks, again!

samanthacatangel
06-21-2006, 07:48 AM
I use "Frozen Assets - Lite and Easy" which is a collection of healthier recipes. They are very good, and her method for freezing (freeze flat in Ziplocs, and then stack like record albums) is excellent on space saving. It is by Deborah Taylor-Hough as the previous poster mentioned.

I would highly recommend eBay to look for these books.

Good luck!

Samantha