PDA

View Full Version : Shula's Steak House - STAY AWAY

OKWAnneMarie
06-20-2006, 11:21 AM
This was the low point of our dining during our stay at Walt Disney World. Shula’s is perhaps the most over-rated restaurant I’ve ever been to. It is owned by Don Shula (former NFL player and coach). He also has other restaurants, which I will NEVER step foot into. :sad2:

There were four of us for dinner. Shula’s Steak House is so dark and gloomy you can hardly see where you are going. It is very dim and there is only one candle on each table. Even after our eyes adjusted, we couldn’t see anything. Even though there were plenty of tables open, they put us in a dark, dim corner.

The menu is written on a football, which we had to pass around. None of us could read it in the dark, we needed the waiter’s flashlight. The menu had no prices. :rolleyes: I hate that, even though I already knew the prices (I read them online).

Our snotty waiter was named Carlos :snooty: . He came over and abruptly showed us “samples” of the meat. With his accent, we couldn’t understand one word he was saying. :confused3 Then he had the nerve to get annoyed when we asked him to repeat something. He also said all the desserts take 30 minutes to make, “SO, ORDER APPROPRIATELY!” :furious:

Now, I don’t know about you, but I don’t know what I want for dessert or if I even want dessert before I even have my appetizer. We figured if we want dessert, we will ask for it at the end and wait the 30 minutes. The restaurant wasn’t busy and we weren’t in a hurry.

When we ordered, we wanted to order 3 different vegetables (broccoli, asparagus & spinach). Carlos got angry and yelled “TOO MANY SIDES” and threw his hands in the air. So I said, yes, that’s what we want and then he got very agitated and walked away. :(

My husband had the Barbequed Shrimp Stuffed with basil and he said it was good. The other couple had the Lobster Bisque and enjoyed it. I didn’t have any appetizer. I was saving myself for the “TOO MANY SIDES”. ;)

I had the Filet Mignon. My husband had the Prime Rib. The other couple had the Salmon and the Porterhouse. The food was just slightly above average.

Carlos NEVER cracked a smile, looked us in the eyes or said “You’re welcome” or “Thank you”. He was extremely rude.

Then Carlos came over and THREW the bill on the table. :scared1: Yes, he actually THREW the bill at us without asking if we wanted coffee or anything, and, more importantly, without saying “Thank You”. What a freakin’ creep! This is the reason I never eat at Peter Luger’s restaurant in Brooklyn. They have the best meat in the U.S., but the waiters are nasty. I don’t believe you should pay good money to be treated shoddily, no matter how good the food is.

Carlos’ tip reflected his attitude. :sunny:

So, my advice is, RUN, DO NOT WALK, AWAY FROM SHULA’S STEAKHOUSE. The food is not worth the money. The atmosphere is uninteresting and murky and guests at a restaurant should be treated with respect. What a disappointment. :sad2:

John's Mom
06-20-2006, 02:24 PM
Thanks for your great review. This is the first complete review of Shula's that I have seen on the boards. I've read that Shula's is supposed to have great steaks--better than Yachtman's Steakhouse and LeCellier. I'm sorry that you were disappointed.

PrincessAurora
06-20-2006, 05:39 PM
He sounds like "the soup nazi" from Seinfeld! Too many sides?!! :rotfl2:

Good reviews BTW!

DisTeach1
06-20-2006, 08:20 PM
It's funny how people can have so many different experiences! We had a great, relaxing dinner. We shared everything, because serving sizes are so large. Also, with the souffles, most restaurants do recommend ordering in advance. My mom loves Shulas and can't wait to go back. For some reason, though, I liked Yachtsmen better. However, for her birthday in November, we will go back to Shulas.

brando5111
06-20-2006, 08:44 PM
We dined @ Shulas on our last trip and were disappointed. This pains me as my husband is a die-hard Miami Dolphin fan and Don Shula is a hero!

We wanted to love this dining experience, but unfortunately, we just can't say that we did...Waaahhhh!

We ended up having to eat in the "bar area" and the waitress was "less" than accommodating. Actually, truth be told, we could have walked out without anyone knowing, but could not do such a thing. I personally feel in a restaurant of this calibar to chase your server is ridiculous. We really should have had a "free dinner", but my husband could not do such a thing (sad to say, I could have!!! - oops!!) - Anyway, there you have it, the food was O.K., but really compared to Yacht Club, there was no comparison...In our opinion...

Best,
Brando

3princesses4us
06-20-2006, 10:42 PM
I've seen several reviews of Shula's on here.
We couldn't have had a more opposite experience. It was perfectly well lit when we had dinner there in September. We ordered the chocolate suffle for 2 after dinner and it was delivered warm and gooey in a matter of minutes. Sounds like you had an off night or an off waiter. Brian was terrific and even comped our $13 dessert as it was our anniversary. The steak was superior to anything we had, including Le Cellier. :confused3

Uncleromulus
06-21-2006, 05:20 AM
Well-poor service can ruin a meal at almost any restaurant.
I always got the feeling that Shula's servers never quite "got it" that they were in WDW. None of the friendly "Where are you from" or "how was your day at the parks" sort of thing that you get at WDW restaurants. That's how it was the one time we dined there--service not poor, but quite stiff and much too "correct".

OKWAnneMarie
06-21-2006, 11:37 AM
It's funny how people can have so many different experiences! We had a great, relaxing dinner. We shared everything, because serving sizes are so large. Also, with the souffles, most restaurants do recommend ordering in advance. My mom loves Shulas and can't wait to go back. For some reason, though, I liked Yachtsmen better. However, for her birthday in November, we will go back to Shulas.

We didn't even know the dessert was a souffle! The waiter just said, "All desserts take 30 minutes, so ORDER APPROPRIATELY" and then he stormed off. :rotfl:

Mandabella
06-21-2006, 11:43 AM
I've had an excellent meal at the Shula's in DC and decent enough meal at the one in Philly. I've never been to the one in WDW because there are like 3 of them within driving distance of my home. As for the one in DC, it was dim but still bright enough to read the football menu that did have prices on it. :confused3

I'm sorry you had such a poor time and am glad you reflected that in your tip. Did you also relate any of this to the management, specifically about Carlos' behavior?

Robert P
06-21-2006, 03:57 PM
Sorry you did not enjoy your dinner. Poor service puts a downer on almost any meal.

The chocolate souffle does take 30 minutes or more, so we always have to order that near the beginning of the meal when there. I am surprised he said all desserts, b/c I don't think they bake anything else fresh there. Sounds like he was a total dud.

Our meals (food) there have been excellent, especially the prime rib. However, service has been hit or miss: twice excellent, once too rushed and overbearing and once just downright rude. We don't expect them to sing It's A Small World or wave napkins, but we also don't expect them to stiffly hover over the table, looking down their noses at us either. I just don't think they are on board with the program sometimes.

DisOrBust
06-21-2006, 04:39 PM
Shula's rerelt gets a review but most have been luke warm. Thanks for the review!!!

prncess674
06-22-2006, 01:32 PM
I personally despise Shula's restaurant because of the football menu. I haven't dined at the one in WDW and wouldn't simply because it is a chain and would rather eat at a WDW restaurant that can't be found back home. I have eaten at the NYC location and when seated ask that the football be removed and real menus be passed out. They will never offer them but they ARE available if you ask.

OKWAnneMarie
06-22-2006, 02:09 PM
[
I'm sorry you had such a poor time and am glad you reflected that in your tip. Did you also relate any of this to the management, specifically about Carlos' behavior?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, I did not speak to managment at the time. I felt uncomfortable because I was dining with people I just met (even though I knew they felt the same way I did). In retrospect, I should have spoken up (which I usually do).

I did send several letters to the restaurant and their organization.

OKWAnneMarie
06-22-2006, 02:12 PM
I personally despise Shula's restaurant because of the football menu. I haven't dined at the one in WDW and wouldn't simply because it is a chain and would rather eat at a WDW restaurant that can't be found back home. I have eaten at the NYC location and when seated ask that the football be removed and real menus be passed out. They will never offer them but they ARE available if you ask.

I didn't know they had a restaurant in NYC (and I live here :confused3). If I knew about the regular menus, I would have asked. Thanks for the info.

NMW
06-23-2006, 11:03 AM
Sorry you had such an unpleasant dinner.

MHopkins2
06-23-2006, 02:43 PM
Well-poor service can ruin a meal at almost any restaurant.
I always got the feeling that Shula's servers never quite "got it" that they were in WDW. None of the friendly "Where are you from" or "how was your day at the parks" sort of thing that you get at WDW restaurants. That's how it was the one time we dined there--service not poor, but quite stiff and much too "correct". Personally, I prefer servers that skip the "typical WDW server spiel." Rude is never acceptable, but chattiness in a server isn't my thing. I don't penalize for it or anything like that, but I prefer "correct" service.

aristocat
06-25-2006, 01:56 AM
Wow... did you complain? i hope so!

redmaz0000
06-25-2006, 07:29 AM
My wife and I had a great experience at Shula's in WDW. We think it was probably one of the top 5 restaurants we've ever been to. The server was excellent, friendly, and helped us pick out a great (and not too expensive) bottle of wine. I would difinetly go back.

mbroadhead
06-25-2006, 12:45 PM
I agree - STAY AWAY-
The only thing they want is your tip and they will do some pretty underhanded things to boost your tab!

Go to the Yacht Club or off property if you really need a good steak, just don't go here!

Disney owl
06-27-2006, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the review, sorry to hear you had such a bad time

D&R love Disney
06-27-2006, 11:52 AM
Thats to bad you had such rude service and there is no excuse for it.
We've dined at Shula's in WDW 3x and each time it was fantastic. The wait staff was very good and friendly. Our food excellent and only the souffle needs to be ordered when you are ordering your meal. They do offer other desserts.

PamNC
06-29-2006, 08:47 AM
We haven't tried Shulas yet - in fact, it's one of the few places we haven't tried @ WDW. I think we've pretty much eaten every place else. SO, for our next trip (whenever that is) we were going to try it. I don't know about that now. I don't want to spend a bunch of money and get such poor service, no matter how good the food is.

I don't mind spending $$$ on a nice meal, but lately I've been somewhat disappointed at WDW restaurants. For instance, for the last few years Blue Zoo has been our favorite. It was always the first place we had dinner, so it was quickly becoming a tradition. We were there in May and boy were we disappointed. The food, although not terrible, wasn't up to snuff. Just not as good as years past. My DH got the dancing fish which he had been dying to try and he said it was "just okay." Well, the service was just "blah" - sort of on the snotty side. This was a different experience because in the past the service has been very very good. It's off our list now. Also, last year we went to Yachtsman Steakhouse. We hadn't been in about 3 years just because we've been trying to go to different places, but YS was a favorite of ours. The service was OUTSTANDING but the food...not so great. I had to send my steak back (ordered med rare) twice and when they finally did get the inside cooked to a true med rare, the outside was just charred to death. it looked like a well done steak. So, that's off the list.

I don't mean to sound like a complainer who just wants to find something wrong because that is not the case. I've truly noticed a downfall in many of the restaurants. We've started doing some off-site dining.

PamNC

iwaseeyore
06-30-2006, 08:10 PM
We've eaten there four or five times and have had good meals each time. It is by far the best beef on property. YSH is the minor leagues compared to Shula's in both service and quality and when you get down to it it's just as pricey.

I'm sorry your server was a dope.

Ron from Michigan
06-30-2006, 08:26 PM
I agree with you on Shula's. We ate there about two years ago and it was just average. It was not worth the prices they charge. I have had better steaks at Le Cellier, Jiko & California Grill. Even the Outback beats Shula's hands down.

Minniespal
07-01-2006, 09:55 AM
Thanx for the review ~ Poor service anywhere will ruin a meal.

IWISHFORDISNEY
07-03-2006, 07:34 PM
I have herd about half and half for this place. Now I probably wont go. Thanks for the great review.

Mickdeb
07-05-2006, 10:05 AM
I agree - STAY AWAY-
The only thing they want is your tip and they will do some pretty underhanded things to boost your tab!

Go to the Yacht Club or off property if you really need a good steak, just don't go here!

ITA, our server told us we should "split 3 seafood samplers" between the 5 people in our party. Sounds great until we got the bill and were actually charged for 8 appetizers. :crazy:

Debbie :wizard:

Poppinsme
07-05-2006, 01:52 PM
Wow. Bummer. We were going to eat at Shulas here in New Orleans because they closed Ruths Chris. We love our steaks but because of these reviews I dont no if I want to spend the money and take a chance. Will stick with Dragos (New Orleans) and get lobster :banana: :banana: .
Thanks for review.

Jenn0)))
07-05-2006, 01:57 PM
Yes, thanks for the review. I was actually planning on going there, but this review really turned me off of it.
I can find another good steak-place.

mking624
07-05-2006, 01:59 PM
Sorry for the experience you had! Did you speak to a manager while you were there?

Honestly, this was the only part I found odd to be upset about:
He also said all the desserts take 30 minutes to make, “SO, ORDER APPROPRIATELY!”

Now, I don’t know about you, but I don’t know what I want for dessert or if I even want dessert before I even have my appetizer. We figured if we want dessert, we will ask for it at the end and wait the 30 minutes. The restaurant wasn’t busy and we weren’t in a hurry.
This was something we were told when we ate the California Grill back in 2000 about the chocolate souffle...to order it right away (before dinner) that way it would be ready by the time we were done with dinner. It's something we're told every time we eat at Max & Erma's about their chocolate chip cookies...to order it so that way they're done by the time the meal is finished. I understand you weren't in a hurry, but they had no way of knowing if it's ok for you to wait or not. Many people would probably throw a fit if their dessert took 30 minutes or more to come out to them. It's not uncommon for any restaurant to encourage you to order dessert ahead of time if the dessert takes times to make. I personally wouldn't fault them for that.

minijeanie
07-06-2006, 10:31 PM
seems like CARLOS was the big problem. sorry you had to spend so much money for a not so perfect evening.

Also, I have so wanted to dine at Peter Lugas??
so the staff there is kinda snobby as well?

Brooklyn has so many great restaurants...

where do you suggest I dine?

live in NJ...may have to be in brooklyn for business in the future
where do you suggest?

slk537
07-07-2006, 10:26 AM
I was talking recently to our sales manager (SM) at work about their trip to Shula's last winter. There is a trade show in Orlando (yes, I am currently lobbying to go next year :teeth: ), and one night our GM, Sales Mgr and two clients went to Shula's. SM said the service was awful. They were alternately ignored and then experienced rudeness. He said they were not shown the cuts of meat at all and although the food was good, the service was ridiculous.

After the meal, SM called and spoke to a manager and discussed their experience. He told him that they had wanted to come back the next night and bring the sales team, but because of the service they would be cancelling the reservation. The mgr assured him that they would receive top notch service, guaranteed.

They decided to go back, and were given a private room and servers hovering the whole time. My latest boss was there with the sales team and has fond memories of eating the 42 (?) oz porterhouse and accompanying sides and ending up on the Shulas website. He is very proud of this. :rotfl:

I think it's awful that the service was so over the top only when a reservation for about 12-15 people on an expense account was in jeopardy. :rolleyes:

As for us? We'll stick with Le Cellier and Yachtsman.

Paging Tom Morrow
07-13-2006, 01:44 PM
This is the reason I never eat at Peter Luger’s restaurant in Brooklyn. They have the best meat in the U.S., but the waiters are nasty. I don’t believe you should pay good money to be treated shoddily, no matter how good the food is.

May I suggest you try Peter Luger's in Great Neck - the steaks are just as good and the service is infinitely better.

We were disappointed with Shulas as well.

Peter Pirate 2
10-24-2006, 01:08 PM
We ate at Shula's in NYC (at the Westin), we didn't even get the football without asking (thank goodness). Our meal and service there was far superior to Shula's WDW (where we've dined three times).

I absolutely hate servers as described here and generally will complain afterward to a manager.
pirate:

TheBeadPirate
10-24-2006, 01:39 PM
Thanks for this reveiw. We've often wondered if it was just us or Shula's overall. We've eaten at the one in Key West and the one here in New Orleans and neither was "award winning" in any degree. The food and the service were both lacking. We were going to give WDW Shula's a try thinking it may have better standards, but alas I don't think that's the case.

I'll keep going to Morton's here in New Orleans and the Yachtsmen at WDW.

Thanks again!

Lori in the Quarter

Quinn222
10-24-2006, 02:28 PM
My parents had the exact same experience at the Miami location. The only difference was that they were not given the 'football' menu, or any other menu. The waiter flat out refused to give them a menu telling them they had to order from the tray of raw meat. They had the same opinion as you - run, don't walk, in the opposite direction.

shovan
10-24-2006, 03:49 PM
Thanks for this reveiw. We've often wondered if it was just us or Shula's overall. We've eaten at the one in Key West and the one here in New Orleans and neither was "award winning" in any degree. The food and the service were both lacking. We were going to give WDW Shula's a try thinking it may have better standards, but alas I don't think that's the case.

I'll keep going to Morton's here in New Orleans and the Yachtsmen at WDW.

Thanks again!

Lori in the Quarter

After reading so many good things about Shula's here on the Dis, we were going to try it out here at home, now that we have one in Nola. Guess we can save the money & head over to Morton's! (I know this is really OT for the Dis, but have ya'll tried Besh's SH in Harrah's?)

We'll back in WDW in Jan. 07 & will definitely go back to Yachtsman's!

TheBeadPirate
10-24-2006, 05:48 PM
Sorry, brief interlude--Besh's is pretty good. We always sit with Mark at the bar and have dinner. Food is great (except once) and service is generally good, unless their slammed then it's a little spotty but very polite and apologetic.

Back to the regularly scheduled thread!

shovan
10-25-2006, 12:39 AM
Sorry, brief interlude--Besh's is pretty good. We always sit with Mark at the bar and have dinner. Food is great (except once) and service is generally good, unless their slammed then it's a little spotty but very polite and apologetic.

Back to the regularly scheduled thread!

Thanks so much for going OT, do we in Nola have a board like this to discuss rest. & foods.? I know we must but I haven't seen it. I'm a reall newbie at this. Thanks again, I think we're going to give Besh SH a try!

LindaBabe
10-25-2006, 12:44 AM
I went once - service reflected that of op - never again. Server dropped butter in my lap when crumbing the table, without even an apology never mind an offer to get my suit cleaned.

mikesplash
10-25-2006, 08:28 PM
We ate there in Sept and also found that the lighting was to low. I know I am getting older put I could not read the menu. The idea of a football seems good - but it does not work. I football for a table - bad idea.

The waitress was in a rush, we weren't. In a space of 5 minutes she asked three times of were we ready to order. She showed use the cuts of meat but did it so fast we could not understand what she was saying or showing.

The meat was good but no better than Le Cellier in Canada.

Will not be going back.

Cass
10-25-2006, 11:30 PM
The menu is on a football? how totally tacky is that?

I guess it's better than a jock strap, but still :sad2:

Robert P
10-27-2006, 04:48 PM
Our last trip, the host was showing us to our table, and dropped the football on the floor as we walked.
I immediately exclaimed, but in a normal voice, "Fumble".
Nobody got it.
The host didn't seem too amused either.

If you are going to present the menu on a football, you need to be ready to roll with the punches.....

Cass
10-27-2006, 04:57 PM
LOL! I would have laughed at the fumble.

chobie
10-27-2006, 05:03 PM
The menu is on a football? how totally tacky is that?

I guess it's better than a jock strap, but still :sad2:

:rotfl2:

Better, but not much.

honeymo78
10-27-2006, 05:16 PM
We had completely the opposite experience on Valentine's Day. While the football was on the table we received menus as well and then our waiter brought over the meat cart (I was a bit freaked by a moving lobster, but otherwise okay). He politely answered all our questions and suggested we share the sides, however my husband is a big potato eater and ate all his plus part of mine so I was glad we got two. He did let us know that if we wanted the dessert with the molten chocolate center we'd need to order that ahead of time since it takes significant time to prepare. While the lighting was dim, it was certainly fine and set a great mood for the evening. The food was excellent. I would definitely go back but if I had your server I doubt I would. I truly believe that the server can make or break the meal and ours definitely made our evening special.

disneydancer1969
10-28-2006, 10:02 PM
where is shula's steak house?

rie'smom
10-28-2006, 10:14 PM
Personally, I prefer servers that skip the "typical WDW server spiel." Rude is never acceptable, but chattiness in a server isn't my thing. I don't penalize for it or anything like that, but I prefer "correct" service.
I can't stand the "typical WDW server spiel" either. When I go to a restaurant,I'm not there to become the server's new best friend. Say hello,take my order,bring my food. If I need anything,I'll let them know.Bye!If the server annoys me by hanging around too much,it won't increase the tip.In fact,just the opposite may happen. If I want the their company,I'll ask them to dinner.

NCRedding
10-28-2006, 10:16 PM
where is shula's steak house?

In the Dolphin Hotel.

We ate here a couple of year's ago, and I guess we were very careful because we had heard how expensive it was--we didn't order any extras, and our bill was acutally less than most of our meals in the parks. I thought the protion sizes were ridiculous. DH liked it, but is in no hurry to return.

Hixski
10-28-2006, 10:30 PM
Our last trip, the host was showing us to our table, and dropped the football on the floor as we walked.
I immediately exclaimed, but in a normal voice, "Fumble".
Nobody got it.
The host didn't seem too amused either.

If you are going to present the menu on a football, you need to be ready to roll with the punches.....

My DH would have done the exact same thing!!! :rotfl2:

magiroux
10-28-2006, 10:46 PM
seems like CARLOS was the big problem. sorry you had to spend so much money for a not so perfect evening.

Also, I have so wanted to dine at Peter Lugas??
so the staff there is kinda snobby as well?

Brooklyn has so many great restaurants...

where do you suggest I dine?

live in NJ...may have to be in brooklyn for business in the future
where do you suggest?

Ate at the Shula's in Elizabeth, NJ and Pete Lugas and would have to say I would take Pete's any day of the week. Since Shula's was in the hotel I was staying at in NJ (Wyndym), and had no choice but to eat here several times (traveling solo on business), I can say I think it is a horrible "chain" restaurant. I have never had the desire to try it at WDW because of my experience with them in NJ.