PDA

View Full Version : Disney at Christmas?

louey
06-20-2006, 10:29 AM
We are going to Disney Dec. 23rd to Jan 1st and staying at AKL. Any advice, is it really really crowded at that time? Oh and has anyone done Discovery Cove that time of year, I am afraid it will be cold. Thanks for any input.

Bob P
06-20-2006, 11:14 AM
Hi and welcome to the DIS!

It will be about as crowded as you can possibly imagine...

As for weather, Orlando in winter is completely unpredictable. Average highs in late December are around 70 with the average low near 50. But you could have mornings near freezing with afternoons in the 50s, or you could have cool mornings with afternoons near 80.

DisneyClay
06-20-2006, 11:56 AM
It will be busy, but the magic of being there over christmas is amazing. I can remember seeing it snow on Main street it was amazing. Have a great time.

Danno Magee
06-23-2006, 12:14 PM
I went last year from Dec. 26 - Jan 1. I'm not going to lie...it was very crowded. However, it wasn't horrible. If you take any advice take this...GO TO THE PARKS EARLY. There are a lot of people but about 75% of them don't show up at the parks until around 10:00. We went to the Magic Kindgom one morning when they had extra magic hours in the morning. We got fast passes for Space Mountain and then walked right on to everything in Fantasyland and Haunted Mansion. I couldn't believe it. The weather was weird though. It started off pretty chilly and by the end of the week I wanted shorts. So you might want to pack a variety of clothing.

Donald is #1
06-24-2006, 07:21 PM
Hi! I have never been there during Christmas week itself, but a few years ago I did go in the beginning of December. First of all, the weather can be very unpredictable. The week that I went was cold (highs in the 50's) but next week was in the 70's. But since I live in NH, even the 50's is an improvement in December. Also, the resorts and the parks are decorated to the max! It is definitely an experience that I would not want to miss. One of my particular favorites was that at EPCOT they had each country's version of "Santa" making appearances and telling the kids the story of their character. Have a great time!

wdwgirl03
06-25-2006, 11:22 AM
I went last year from Dec. 26 - Jan 1. I'm not going to lie...it was very crowded. However, it wasn't horrible. If you take any advice take this...GO TO THE PARKS EARLY. There are a lot of people but about 75% of them don't show up at the parks until around 10:00. We went to the Magic Kindgom one morning when they had extra magic hours in the morning. We got fast passes for Space Mountain and then walked right on to everything in Fantasyland and Haunted Mansion. I couldn't believe it. The weather was weird though. It started off pretty chilly and by the end of the week I wanted shorts. So you might want to pack a variety of clothing.

I definitely agree with going to the parks early. I've been to WDW over winter/spring break several times now, and we always try to do early opening. You'd be surprised how much you can get done.

It's obviously going to be crowded during that time, but I guess I'm getting used to it so it doesn't really bother me anymore.

tashasmum
06-26-2006, 04:43 PM
We will also be there from the 14th- 2nd january. Can't wait to be there over christmas, we are expecting it to be very very busy, and we usually go in july.Only 175 days to go.

KinderTchr
06-26-2006, 06:28 PM
We will be there Dec 27 - Jan 1. I know it will be packed, esp. on Dec. 31. I have been this time of year before and it is absolutely beautiful.

The first time I went to the MK in 1971 at Thanksgiving (I was 12) we waited in line for the Haunted Mansion for an hour and 45 minutes.

I still loved and love Disney. When I'm there everything is great. It's all about attitude.

DH, DS, and DD have not seen WDW at Christmas so I am very excited for them to see all the decorations. DH is THRILLED about the NEW YEARS EVE celebration even though he knows it will be body to body.

Vannah
06-26-2006, 10:50 PM
Very, very crowded!! :sad2: But I've heard that the way the place is decorated is amazing!! :cool1::cool1::cool1:

mamacatnv
06-28-2006, 01:47 AM
Take your patience hats - be prepared to wait for everything, food, rides, transportation, bathrooms etc............

Enjoy the decorations, they are incredible as is the festive atmosphere.

JPN4265
06-28-2006, 05:55 AM
Your going when? You poor, poor, thing. :teeth:

Mickey&Donald
06-28-2006, 07:54 AM
Oh my GOODNESS, yes, it will be unbelievably crowded. My DH and I spent our honeymoon at WDW from December 22-26 (2003), and Christmas Day was the most horribly crowded day I've EVER seen at any theme park, anywhere. A CM told us that the week between Christmas and New Years is the most crowded of the entire year! I'm not trying to scare you, but you should be prepared.

We were at MK on Christmas Day (never, never again will we do that) and it took us 20 minutes to walk from the front entrance of Adventureland to the front of the castle. Yeah, it should only take like, 2 minutes, but we were literally shoulder-to-shoulder and front-to-back with thousands of people. It was honestly like being in a can of sardines. :crowded: DH had to hang on to my backpack straps to keep from losing me in the crowd! We waited in line for rides an average of two hours -- the line for Peter Pan took THREE HOURS. :sad2: Fast Passes, which we used as much as possible, were usually gone for the day by 11:00am, so get them ASAP!!

The weather was nice the whole time we were there. The daytime was usually in the 70s (Christmas was the coldest day, I think it was around 60 degrees). I had a light zippered sweatshirt with me, it was plenty to keep me warm at night.

The decorations are totally gorgeous. Disney definitely takes the cake in decorating for the holidays. My absolute favorite were the arched lights in Epcot that were set to "dance" with Christmas music. Amazing!

Ms.Mouse
06-28-2006, 09:01 AM
In 2005, we went from Dec 19-27. The parks weren't crowded (in our opinion) until Christmas Day, itself..... Then.... it was CRAZY.... You couldn't move in those parks!!!! It took us all day to ride on about 6 rides!!!! We found, though, that when we planned it out and stayed in the parks for the evening magical hours, we could basically just walk on any ride we wanted. You may think about going back to your hotel to rest or just take it easy in the parks and then go back for those extra evening hours.

Hef4545
06-28-2006, 10:20 AM
Any suggestions for transportation to the MK? Would it be best to take the car to the transportation and ticket center and then hop on the monorail or ferry? My DH and DS hate lines at the buses. I know there will be no line free way but looking for the path of least resistance. :) I guess at that time of year it would pay to stay in a resort on the monorail.

louey
06-30-2006, 01:15 PM
Thank you all for the feedback, now I know to expect it to be very very crowded at the parks and to get there early. I have already made dinner reservations for almost every night because I am afraid that if not, we wouldn't get into some of the restaurants that we want to eat at and figured we could always cancel our reservations if we change our minds?
Thanks Again :)

macfamily
06-30-2006, 02:28 PM
So, we're going December 2nd thru the 10th, should we expect crowds at that time? I was hoping it would be less crowded BEFORE Christmas, but still have the lights and stuff up...

Donald is #1
06-30-2006, 06:56 PM
So, we're going December 2nd thru the 10th, should we expect crowds at that time? I was hoping it would be less crowded BEFORE Christmas, but still have the lights and stuff up...

No, I believe that it won't be crowded the week that you are there. Atleast when I went the same week in December in 2000 it wasn't crowded at all!

Have a great time! :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Eeyore Excitement
07-30-2006, 05:05 PM
Let me say it will be as crowded as the population of New York, California and Texas crammed into Kentucky. :sad2: :scared:
Sounds horrible, right? Not all of it.. go early in the morning to the parks, it'll be a bit better.

I feel sorry for you!!! May Disers join you and your quest through hell. :goodvibes :)

Eeyore Excitement

rt2dz
08-01-2006, 05:51 PM

We WERE going at that time this year because it is supposed to be a low crowd time, BUT we couldn't get into our first hotel choice, barely got into our second and had a heck of time getting ADRs. We switched to a later week, and got everything we wanted (hotel & view, ADRs at our preferred times at first choice restaurants). I don't know what is going on that first week this year, but it is definetly going to be busier than usual.

jdxechick
08-01-2006, 06:12 PM
okay okay...dh and i are planning on going with kids the week after thanksgiving into first week of december....is it really crowded then? because every book that i have read (and it's been all of them) says that it is low crowds. we have been the last 2 octobers and loved the size of the crowds...very little. would not want to be sardines. last year we rode splash mountain about 6 times in a row...no one was there. it was wonderful...considering that we have friends who went that waited 3 hours to ride it once... :confused3

should we stick to october? but i really wanted to see the christmas decor....