PDA

View Full Version : Any Boston transplants to N. Carolina?

molly2004
06-20-2006, 09:03 AM
Okay, so DH and I are debating AGAIN whether we should move to NC. We figure that WDW will be cold in July before we will ever be able to save any significant $$. We have two children who are not quite ready for school yet, but will be soon. We can't even save for their college because there's not enough to go around. :confused3

I know that there are a lot of New Englanders who've moved to NC and love it. I would like to get an assessment of what you think of it. How did you proceed with researching about the city/town you'd move to? Where are you from exactly and where in NC did you move to? Just wondering what you all can share about life in NC. Are taxes ridiculous? Traffic? How are schools? Arts? Entertainment? Nightlife? What are the major cities that have good job prospects (I'm in healthcare finance and DH restores homes). Have we pretty much missed the boat on affordable housing there? And what do you think of the weather?

Thanks for your help! As much as we love Boston, it doesn't seem to be working out for us financially. :sad2:

bvc314
06-20-2006, 09:23 AM
I'm not a transplant, but a native to NC. I now live in the mountains, outside of Asheville. We live in a small town and love it. Asheville is close enough for shopping, night life, etc. I actually work in Asheville.
I have also lived in Raleigh, which is obviously larger with more to do. Charlotte is also nice if you like a large city.
I don't know what taxes you pay now, but I think the cost of living is reasonable here. The climate is great, we have 4 seasons but the winters aren't too bad. Even here in the mountains, we get only a couple of snowfalls and they only last a day or two.
Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll try to answer them
Betty

darkkskyzz
06-20-2006, 10:15 AM
We moved from MA to NC back in 1992....
It's a nice state, definitley warm weather (too warm, I moved back)
But my parents still live down there, they love it. Housing is WAY cheap compared to living up here!
Winston Salem is where I lived, just outside of Greensboro. Plenty of jobs in your fields available. :sunny:

DawnM
06-20-2006, 10:44 AM
We are NC transplants from Los Angeles. I know it isn't Boston, but the housing, traffic and cost of living are comperable so I think I can still give you my story and have it be relevant.

We were all set to move to the Raleigh area. I really liked it there. We flew out to NC once as a family and spent a week looking around Raleigh. Then DH flew to Raleigh 3 times for job interviews. Wouldn't you know it, a Raleigh job offered him a job in their Charlotte office!

We took it. DH is better suited for Charlotte anyway (job wise) as he needs to be in a strong financial city for his line of work.

We found a 3 month rental on a townhouse and only signed a 3 month lease. That worked out perfectly. It allowed us to get a realor and really spend some time looking at the area and decided where we wanted to buy.

Charlotte is in Mecklenburg Couty and the property taxes are quite high for THIS area (still WAY cheaper than LA County!). We ended up buying in Union County because the property taxes were less, allowing us to buy more house and put that money toward mortgage. Also, the schools are better down here. If you want to look up the area (schools) we are in the Weddington School area of Union County Schools.

Mecklenburg school district is having some big problems right now. Of course, it is all relative, it is still nothing compared to Los Angeles Schools.

What line of work does your DH do? Does it matter where you live for his work?

Dawn