PDA

View Full Version : Family meals.........

CJRN
06-19-2006, 04:22 PM
OK, curious if most people (I guess the parent that cooks), makes dinner seven days a week?

Wondering if I'm being a "bad" parent, because on the weekends everyone is pretty much on their own in our house. I generally cook during the week, and DH makes a big breakfast for the family on the weekends, so lunch & dinner is leftovers/sandwiches, etc.

By the way, my kids are 11 & 14 yrs old.

Side note: my kids get 3 meals/day/7 days/wk for 4 wks when we go to camp (I'm the nurse at camp, so I live there and NO COOKING for me, but then again, somedays I am busier than working in the Emergency Dept, :lmao:

Grumpy's Wife
06-19-2006, 04:49 PM
I cook Monday - Friday. Saturday's we usually go out to dinner but lunch is whatever you want to make yourself. I will cook a big lunch on Sunday then again Sunday night pot luck again.

Ellester
06-19-2006, 04:56 PM
I generally cook everyday. But my kids are much younger (8, 4, and 2). We do frequently have leftovers the following day, either for lunch or dinner. I certainly don't think you're a "bad" parent for letting your kids find their own lunch/dinner on the weekends. If anything I think it's good parenting. They should be able to get food for themselves occasionally at their ages. My dd8 will get her own breakfast some days and will even get some for her little brother (she's not usually so kind to my dd4, a little sibling rivalry I think). I say keep on doing what you're doing if it works for your family! :thumbsup2

PaMom001
06-19-2006, 04:58 PM
I cook 3 meals a day/7 days a week. The only execptions are: when my DD is at her Dad's and when she is at school.

QueenT
06-19-2006, 04:59 PM
DH cooks, we are all thankful for that, as my cooking is a little spotty (translation - I tend to burn things).

He will almost always cook on Mon - Thurs, my work days. I will generally cook 1 day out of 3 day weekend, he will usually cook 1, and 1 is usually fast food or whatever we grab (convenience food) out of the freezer/pantry - cereal (kids), sandwich, taquitos, tv dinner, that sort of thing.

We are not pristine on the fast food front though; we tend to eat it for lunch some days, maybe 1x per week. Sometimes more, depending on how hectic life is.

We rarely eat at restaurants, dh is a fabulous cook and we end up regretting the high $$ for not-as-good food. Plus he will sit & complain how he could do it better.

Savsmommy
06-19-2006, 05:14 PM
I cook M-F and then Saturday and Sunday we either go out to dinner or do take-out. My kids are little, 6 and 2.

MUFFYCAT
06-19-2006, 05:16 PM
OK, curious if most people (I guess the parent that cooks), makes dinner seven days a week?

Wondering if I'm being a "bad" parent, because on the weekends everyone is pretty much on their own in our house. I generally cook during the week, and DH makes a big breakfast for the family on the weekends, so lunch & dinner is leftovers/sandwiches, etc.

By the way, my kids are 11 & 14 yrs old.

then i'm a bad parent with you. another bad parent club :rotfl:

mickeymel
06-19-2006, 05:16 PM
No, I do not cook a full meal for every meal every day of the week. However, no one is lacking of food. :)

powellrj
06-19-2006, 05:19 PM
I cook at home Monday-Thursday. Friday I take DS to guitar and DH takes DD out, so we usually just eat with which ever child we have with us.

Saturday I cook a huge breakfast. You are on your own for lunch and dinner.

Sunday we eat a light breakfast and then a big dinner after church and then sandwiches for dinner.

The kids that are still at home are 15 and 10, so they know what there is to eat and how to fix it on my nights off!

jeankeri
06-19-2006, 05:32 PM
I cook at home, but usually take one night off during the week and one meal on the weekend. The night off is usually planned around an overscheduled evening (kids have games, travel for doctor's appointments, etc). We will go out to eat (sit down, not take out) at a restaurant near our travels. Eating out once a week makes me plan our cooked dinners better.

azgal81
06-19-2006, 05:42 PM
I don't see how not cooking 7 days a week would make you a bad parent. Growing up we went out to eat alot as well as had fast food alot. I also don't think having your kids fend for themselves is a bad thing.

shaylahc1
06-19-2006, 06:03 PM
My DH cooks dinner 4-5 nights per week. The other nights we eat take out or scrounge for something easy like hot dogs or scrambled eggs. Lunch is almost always something simple like a sandwich. The kids pick out whatever they want for breakfast, usually something easy like a waffle or a piece of toast with peanut butter.

CJRN
06-19-2006, 06:45 PM
Thanks everyone, I feel better, especially when my 11 yr old said he remembers making his own school lunch since 1st grade! I doubt that it was that early, not until at LEAST 3rd grade. My kids are very responsible, get up on their own and get breakfast (I'm still home until they go to school). The truth is, we buy whatever lunchmeat, cheese, etc, yogurt, fruit cups that they want, and one snacky type item, and they are responsible for making their own school lunches (I think that's why they both prefer to buy).

HenDuck
06-19-2006, 07:01 PM
Dinners - I cook maybe 4-5 times a week. We eat leftovers often, so that covers the other nights.

Lunch - I usually make lunch for DS on the weekends. DH is on his own, unless he wants a grilled cheese sandwich, which all DS will eat for lunch.

Breakfast - the only one who really eats breakfast is DS and that's Eggos, so I don't really count that as cooking.

You are NOT a bad parent for allowing your kids to learn to fend for themselves. When my DS becomes a teenager, I'm thinking he'll have to cook for mom one night a week! :teeth:

PolyAddict
06-19-2006, 07:14 PM
I must be the worst parent ever!!! Let me defend myself first. DH does not cook AT ALL, NEVER EVER EVER. :furious: He does clean though. :thumbsup2 I work full time with 3 very busy girls 5, 13 and 14. :crazy: I have been suffering with Graves Disease for the last year and I am constantly fatigued because of the meds. :guilty:

Here is comes....I cook, maybe two, three times a week and I always do breakfast on the weekends. So we probably do take out about 2 or 3 times a week too. :confused3

juligrl
06-19-2006, 07:23 PM
I cook during the week. We usually end up going out on Saturday (restaurant, parents, or friends) but if we don't that's when we either order pizza or eat leftovers. Sundays are also leftover or frozen item days.

disykat
06-19-2006, 08:12 PM
I cook most of the time, but am gradually doing less as my kids get older. My 13 year old always makes his own breakfast, and usually his own lunch. My 11 year old sometimes makes his own lunch and breakfast.

My kids don't do a whole lot of cooking yet (except brownies from a mix, etc.), but I've told them that at 14 they'll be expected to plan and cook one meal a week for the family. I'm determined my boys will know how to cook since my dh had never cooked ANYTHING in his life until he was living on his own.

Louise-Montreal
06-19-2006, 08:36 PM
My husband is not home during the week- so my daughters each cook two meals a week. I do the clean up. I pay them $10.00 each but that is the only money they get from me. I do not pay for chores ( although they have very FEW chores) and I do not pay them an allowance.
They decide what we are eating and they come to the grocery store to buy these ingredients.
Works for us!!!!!

Karel
06-19-2006, 08:37 PM
[QUOTE=disykat
My kids don't do a whole lot of cooking yet (except brownies from a mix, etc.), but I've told them that at 14 they'll be expected to plan and cook one meal a week for the family. I'm determined my boys will know how to cook since my dh had never cooked ANYTHING in his life until he was living on his own.[/QUOTE]

Why not have them join you in the kitchen and work together to make meals? My kids have helped me since they were small. While I can't deal with all of them at once (in the kitchen), it's nice to have some one on one time. At 12, 14 and 15, they help me with parts of the meal - make the pasta, cut up vegs for the salad, stir the meat. It's a lot of fun.

MrsPete
06-20-2006, 07:02 AM
I don't think it matters all that much whether you cook from scratch (which is what I do most of the time), heat up something frozen, or have take out . . . what does matter is that the family sits down together at the table to share dinner every day. Kids need that family time.

mrsbornkuntry
06-20-2006, 09:29 AM
We sit down at the table for a meal 7 days a week, but my kids are 2, 5, 7, 8, and 10. Sometimes it's sandwiches or frozen pizza and other times it's a meal cooked from scratch. Aside from the family interaction, it also helps me make sure that my kids are getting something healthy.

CJRN
06-21-2006, 08:13 PM
These are great! Thanks for making me feel better about this. :thumbsup2

~Kathie
06-21-2006, 08:33 PM
Breakfast - the only one who really eats breakfast is DS and that's Eggos, so I don't really count that as cooking.

You mean making Eggos isn't cooking?? :confused3 Since when? Darn!!! Guess I can't use that as an excuse anymore. :rotfl:

DH cooks for a living and still likes to cook at home. Our kids have moved out but they come over often. They usually come for dinner!! :lmao:

I have a dairy allergy (not lactose intolerant) and eating out is a challenge for me. Eating at home is much easier. One of us cooks every night, once in a while he'll bring home dinner from our restaurant.

My kids were responsible to make their own lunches when they were in school. I worked a lot of nights back then so that was their way of helping out.

hollyb
06-21-2006, 08:58 PM
I cook every meal except 1 meal and that is pizza on Saturday night. The kids and DH take lunches that I make. Am I super women HARDLY!!!! :rotfl2: But I do try to make good food. That may mean that the kids get the "good" chicken nuggets, pasta and a veggie one night. The next night I may cook pork chops and everything that goes with it. The next night it may be breakfast food. I think anything that I cook is good for them. I know how its made and we eat together. (DH gets home later and the kids eat their bedtime snack at that time). No matter what you make as long as everyone is together thats what matters. :sunny:

My favorite meal is when we go to my MIL house. I don't have to cook and her cooking rocks!!!!

DisneyClay
06-21-2006, 09:02 PM
I took a new job last Aug. I think in that amount of time I have cooked may be 10 meals. I work evening shift and eat my dinner at work, so I know how you feel.

CJRN
06-22-2006, 10:22 AM
Well, my last day of work (until July 22) was yesterday. So I guess I can not use the too busy/tired bit for a while. :rotfl2:

CJRN
06-22-2006, 10:23 AM
Anyone think I can get away with.....I'm too busy on the disboards to cook, to clean, uhm, to shower??????????

pnutmnm
06-22-2006, 11:20 AM
I totally believe in the 4 basic food groups when it comes to meals:
Fast, Frozen, Leftover, and Junk!! :rotfl2:

Seriously, I work full-time and my DH is a firefighter (who also plays volleyball, teaches classes, board meetings, etc) who is not home alot. When he is home, he will cook dinner for us. When he is gone, I usually just feed the kids - soup, pasta, mac n cheese, sandwiches, salads.

grlpwrd
06-22-2006, 11:28 AM
I cook for our family almost everyday and eat out only twice per month at the most. I am very busy with 5 kids, my ebay business, 2 classes, blah blah blah.

My kids do help make dinner at least once a week so that helps. I also use my crockpot a lot, I have a collection of cookbooks and have a basic repertoire, and I use www.savingdinner.com , too.

I have since lost 21 lbs of baby weight. :thumbsup2