PDA

View Full Version : Best place to buy school uniforms?

left210
06-19-2006, 01:55 PM
My son will start Kindergarten in the fall and will be wearing school uniforms. I have found a few things at yard sales this summer so far and hope to pick up some more but wanted to get ideas on the best places to get uniforms so I can watch for sales, coupon codes, etc. I dont necessarily want the cheapest ones but more the brands/places that sell ones that will hold up the longest. Thanks.

IMALOVNDISNEY
06-19-2006, 01:57 PM
I my DD's school many of the Moms have said they get their DS's pants and shirts from either JC Penny's or Target. Hope that helps.

Christypl
06-19-2006, 01:59 PM
I usually see them at Target and Walmart in areas that has school uniforms. Also check with the schools. Before school ours has a store that sells them at a discount and the school gets a cut.

left210
06-19-2006, 02:31 PM
Thanks - I know that you can get them at lots of places - Old Navy, Target, Walmart, Penneys, Lands End, Gap, Sears, etc. but was looking to see if anyone had any comments on the ones that hold up the best, fade/pill less, etc. I have heard the ones from Target, Walmart & Kmart don't last long. I dont know much about the others. I have about 6 weeks before I have to worry about it but was just wanting to get a head start. I will probably just have to do a test of all of the different ones to judge for myself. I had someone else tell me to line dry the shirts and pants and they will not fade as much but that is kind of inconvenient but I will try it if it makes them last longer.

luvsgrumpy
06-19-2006, 02:40 PM
Are your DS's uniforms actual uniforms or just a uniform dress code? We have a uniform dress code in which the colors are mandated but there is some wiggle room as far as styles. I have found that the cargo style pants hold up way better than dress pants for DS 9 and DS12. Especially since recess is completely on macadam and I have 2 very active boys who when they fall, they really fall and the pants can take a beating. Also, I have found in the past, double kneed pants, not sure where. I usually find the cargo one's at Kohl's or JCPenney's. Shirts for us are always polos from Kohl's. Many mom's swear by Old Navy for pants too, sizes just haven't worked out for us. Either Land's End or LL Bean (or both, not sure) have some nice things too, although I hate to order clothes, never sure of sizes.

Happy hunting, DD5 will be starting in the fall too!

left210
06-19-2006, 03:09 PM
Thanks luvsgrumpy. My sons school does not require you to buy the uniforms at the official uniform store except for one shirt with the school logo for field trips. But they just said avoid lots of pockets which I would think they were referring to cargos. I will have to check into that more once he starts. There is a local place here - Shaheens - that sells the pants with double knees that is supposed to be really good. I am like you - I dont like to order online too much because my son is so hard to fit. He is stocky and needs a size 6/7 but they are about a foot too long so I will have to alter them all. I did notice that on Lands End website they will alter them for free for you. I think I am going to try Old Navy & Penneys for pants. He has the pants from Kohls and they just dont fit him really well but there shirts might be fine.

sameyeyam
06-19-2006, 04:43 PM
Check with your school to find out if they have a uniform exchange before school starts in the fall. If not, see if you can help start one!

DD went to a school that required uniforms and we very rarely bought new (except for the first year). Most of us went to the school uniform exchange, during the summer, and just exchanged our uniforms for ones that were the next size up.

If you had nothing to exchange, then I believe they listed prices on anything remaining after the exchange and you could purchase.

Julia M
06-19-2006, 05:01 PM
Check with your school to find out if they have a uniform exchange before school starts in the fall. If not, see if you can help start one!

DD went to a school that required uniforms and we very rarely bought new (except for the first year). Most of us went to the school uniform exchange, during the summer, and just exchanged our uniforms for ones that were the next size up.

If you had nothing to exchange, then I believe they listed prices on anything remaining after the exchange and you could purchase.

Our school also does a uniform exchange, which works great for me.

I have found that the clothes from the "uniform store" (Becky Thatcher and Tom Sawyer brands) hold up the best, by far. I would rather have a second hand one of these, than new Target brand.

Julia