PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Cobb County GA...any double coupons?

Christypl
06-19-2006, 12:08 PM
I am leaving Central Fl (Haines City) for Dallas, GA in just 2 weeks. I am a die hard bargain shopper. Any places I need to know about in that area??? Thanks!

kfeuer
06-19-2006, 12:16 PM
I'm not in that immediate area, but I can tell you that Kroger and Publix double up to .50 everyday. Ingles doubles 3 coupons for every $10 you spend (in other words, they're a big pain and I don't shop there except for when they occasionally triple coupons).

There's lots of great shopping in the Atlanta area. Two of my favorites are Nordstrom Rack (across from Mall of GA) and Talbot's Outlet (near Gwinnett Place). I also love the Liz Claiborne outlet at Discover Mills--it's an outlet to the outlets and almost everything is $9.99 regardless of the original retail price. I've gotten some great bargains in there.

pjshaff
06-19-2006, 07:55 PM
There's a couple of Publix stores out there, I know there's a Kroger near one of the Publix as well. A Super Walmart opened up a couple of months ago in Dallas. It's starting to get alittle busier out there now.

Kroger's ads run Sun - Sat and Publix ads in Dallas run Thurs - Wed.

Enjoy your move, we moved up here from S Fla over 10 years ago now, and love it.

PlaneJoy1
06-20-2006, 07:31 AM
Hi neighbor!! I'm close by. :)

I think you have your answers about grocery stores. If you have kids and like consignment sales there are some HUGE ones in the area every sping and fall.

Welcome to GA!

Christypl
06-20-2006, 08:52 AM
I love consignment stores. I have a three year old boy that grows like a weed!! I'm looking forward to the move. I've gotten a teaching job already. I just have to find my way around. Thank you all so much!

jpaxton1118
06-20-2006, 08:56 AM
Dallas is a great place to live! My parents live there and we live about 15 minutes away in douglasville. Dallas is great because it is out of the city but arbor place mall is not far and hiram has all the stores you will need. They have a great dollar store!! If you need any recommendations on doctors or anything like that, I can help. Born and raised in cobb county and now a douglas county girl. You will see that you will either go to hiram or douglasville to shop. Even when we lived in marietta, I would still drive to hiram or douglasville to shop. Just a lot less traffic and you will soon find that is a big deal here.
Good luck with the move.

Christypl
06-20-2006, 09:00 AM
Thanks!!! We are retired military do you have any idea if there is a commisary nearby? Also do you know a good children's dentist?

Carrie Ellis
06-20-2006, 09:16 AM
Christypl, I live in Douglasville also. I have been going to Fort McPherson since we moved here. It is about 20 minutes from my house. Just google it and get the address to use on mapquest. It seems to be in a pretty rough part of town. The last time I was there the lady told me that Fort Gillem is a much bigger and better commissary. It would be about another 10-minute drive for me. I go about once a month and stock up. I can't justify the gas verses savings every week. I buy a lot of Pillsbury stuff, ice cream, vegetables and meat. I don't use my coupons anywhere (most of the time) except when I go to the commissary. I have been able to get a lot of stuff next to nothing at the commissary. I have even been able to use the peel off stickers from, for example, trash bags plus my coupon. I am from the Dallas FortWorth area so I am use to much better coupon doubling than what I have seen around here. I just go to Costco, Sams, Walmart and Kroger on the weeks that I do not go to the commissary. We have only been here for about 6 months but it has been great so far! Much closer to WDW!

Oh..here is a link to GA military bases:
http://www.cviog.uga.edu/Projects/gainfo/gamil.htm

Christypl
06-20-2006, 09:30 AM
Thank you Carrie that is so helpful! My nearest commisary if more than 2 hours away now. So we don't use it. But I would like to go bi weekly to stock up. I love the case lot sales.

Carrie Ellis
06-20-2006, 10:09 AM
Your welcome! I have not checked the distance for the airforce base in Marietta. It MIGHT be better! I actually just saw it when I was heading 75N yesterday toward Costco. We lived near Quantico (Virginia) before we moved here and I am spoilt on the case sales too. Fort McPherson is too small to have case sales. The lady did say that Ft. Gillem does have something similar. My husband is an Army reservist so I am not "in the loop" as most full time military families would be. He made Officer yesterday so I guess we are in it for another 4 years now! I do like the benefits of using the base and the dental insurance which is saving our lives on Ortho!!!

tpayne
06-20-2006, 10:21 AM
I'm not in that immediate area, but I can tell you that Kroger and Publix double up to .50 everyday. Ingles doubles 3 coupons for every $10 you spend (in other words, they're a big pain and I don't shop there except for when they occasionally triple coupons).

There's lots of great shopping in the Atlanta area. Two of my favorites are Nordstrom Rack (across from Mall of GA) and Talbot's Outlet (near Gwinnett Place). I also love the Liz Claiborne outlet at Discover Mills--it's an outlet to the outlets and almost everything is $9.99 regardless of the original retail price. I've gotten some great bargains in there.

Where is Discover Mills located? I've heard of it but I've never been. I love Liz Claiborne and 9.99 sounds great.

twinklingstars4u
06-20-2006, 10:23 AM
Along with all the excellent advice given here I want to add that BJ's Warehouse takes manufacturer's coupons. You can use them with the BJ's store coupons that are mailed to members (and you can find them on a table at the front of the store).

There is a BJ's off the East-West Connector not far from Dallas and definately worth a trip at least once a month!

tommygirl79
06-20-2006, 10:29 AM
Hey...OP sorry if I'm hijacking the thread but....

My DH did a phone interview with a company near the ATL area and we were wondering what one of the most inexpensive housing areas in the area would be that would still be in a nice safe neighborhood and all that? Anyone?

PlaneJoy1
06-20-2006, 10:34 AM
Carrie Ellis & jpaxton1118

I live in Douglasville as well!!! Wow, what a small world.

ChristyPl, check out: http://home.comcast.net/~sbreaden/

for some weekend consignment sales. I haven't checked it lately, but the fall dates should be coming up soon.

PlaneJoy1
06-20-2006, 10:36 AM

My DH did a phone interview with a company near the ATL area and we were wondering what one of the most inexpensive housing areas in the area would be that would still be in a nice safe neighborhood and all that? Anyone?

It really depends on your price range and where the job is, what is considered "ATL area" is huge. Commutes are HORRIBLE in ATL. Can you tell us where the job is located (downtown, Gwinett, etc.)? I, and the other posters, could probably give you some ideas.

Disneyrsh
06-20-2006, 10:42 AM

I've lived in atlanta for the past 15 years; there is no better place on the planet to bargain shop! There are the tanger outlets up in Commerce, GA, that have unbelievable deals, there's a Tanger on 75 about an hour south of ATL (haven't been to that one yet), there's an outlet place up 400, if you want to buy furniture or anything to remodel you go to Dalton, GA.

Just unbelievable deals, once you know where to look.

There's a thread on Gardenweb that I participated in about people moving here and needing help; here are the URL's:

First thread (http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/realestate/msg052001526502.html?16)

good thread on relocating to Alpharetta (http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/realestate/msg011815571806.html?73)

Hope this helps!

jpaxton1118
06-20-2006, 12:07 PM
There is a great Kids dentist, but I can not remember her name. She is right on Dallas hwy and hwy 92. I will see if I can find her number. Also I have the best peditrician in Atlanta!! ( I think) He is on Dallas Hwy also, near the avenues (shopping). I will not change no matter where we move!! His practice is Childrens physcians. His name is Dr. Sisk. He is the best. He is so personable which is hard to find in such a big city!!!

To the women who wanted to know where the best housing market is. Well there is not one. You just have to keep looking until one comes across. Go to dreamhomesusa.com. There they list almost all homes for sale except buy owner.

Looks like a lot of people who live in Douglasville love Disney!!! :teeth:

Christypl
06-20-2006, 12:22 PM
They only thing that I am sad about moving is that I'll be 8 hours from Disney instead of 30 min!

kfeuer
06-20-2006, 12:27 PM
Discover Mills is in northern Gwinnett Cty right off I-85 and Sugarloaf Pkwy.

To the poster considering moving, I wanted to reiterate that it's really important to get a house as close as possible to your jobs. Get a good realtor and do your homework--some areas may look close together on the map, but due to traffic your commute could be awful. Where would his job be?

tommygirl79
06-20-2006, 01:01 PM
The company he interviewed with is located on Circle 75 Parkway near Smyrna. We probably would try to buy a house on the lower end of the market - 3 BR house in a nice neighborhood (old or new doesn't matter as long as it's nice and safe) near decent schools and shopping.

Disneyrsh
06-20-2006, 04:04 PM
The company he interviewed with is located on Circle 75 Parkway near Smyrna. We probably would try to buy a house on the lower end of the market - 3 BR house in a nice neighborhood (old or new doesn't matter as long as it's nice and safe) near decent schools and shopping.

Ok, I've heard some good things about western cobb county in terms of affordability. Whatever you do, if he's working in Smyrna, don't live in Alpharetta or Gwinnett county. The commute would be unbearable. You do need to be careful about where you live; a bad school can adversely affect home prices and how long it takes to sell. And you can have a bad school *right* next to a good one; there isn't any rhyme or reason when it comes to the metro Atlanta area school situation.

My kids are in what's arguably the best public elementary school in the state, and five miles down the street is one that ranks at the bottom of the entire state!

When you say, cheap, how cheap do you mean? You should be able to find a house in a suburb in western cobb under 200k with everything you want. Under 150, you're going to be out in the sticks, sort of.

You can't find a decent house inside the perimeter for under 500k with a good school system. You can find plenty of cheap housing inside the perimeter, but you'll have very bad schools and squatters sleeping on your front step.

I think, though, that Publix and Target have now covered almost every bit of Georgia :)) so you won't be too lost.

Here's a jenny pruitt search result (has the best search engine in atlanta) for Dallas:

Dallas Homes under 300 (http://www.jennypruitt.com/consumer/Listing/ListingSearchResults.aspx?Search=35aab159-2153-40dd-8224-e4845460ae5d&SearchType=geographic&ListingType=1&ListingDistrictTypeID=&FirstLetter=&Sort=6)

You look at the cheapest house for sale at 169, the elementary is Vaughan, then you go over to gppf.org to check out the rankings for the school, and here are those results:

School ranking/demographics (http://reportcard.gppf.org/desktopdefault.aspx?Level=Profile&S1=E6330197)

You can click on the little graphs next to the info and it will tell you more about demographics, achievement, etc. Looks like a pretty good school on paper :)

Hope this helps!