PDA

View Full Version : Share memories of your cooking firsts....

taeja71
06-19-2006, 11:29 AM
How did your early years of cooking go? What did you consider a sucess or a I'll never do that again....

My cooking first was trying to figure out how to boil eggs when I first got married (no lie). I didn't spend enough time in the kitchen with my mom like I should've (prior to my marriage). Dh and I had many frozen dinners the first year of marriage, it was very sad.

I'm no Paula Dean or Alton Brown, but I can dream can't I?

I don't frequent the cooking forum so I didn't know if this kind of thread has been done before.

wdw_dine_junkie
06-21-2006, 08:57 AM
I consider myself a pretty good cook, but not much of a baker. For DH's birthday one year, I made him a cake. I'm not sure what happened, I suspect I frosted it too soon and it wasn't completely cooled, but it split in half down the middle and fell off the cake plate onto the counter. :rotfl2:

It still tasted good, but what a mess. I haven't made him a birthday cake since.

disykat
06-21-2006, 10:10 AM
I learned to cook early - probably due to my mother's experience. My mom never cooked with her mom so when she first married she was a total novice. The worst story was when she use sweetened condensed milk instead of evaporated milk in a tuna casserole recipe.

taeja71
06-21-2006, 10:29 AM
I learned to cook early - probably due to my mother's experience. My mom never cooked with her mom so when she first married she was a total novice. The worst story was when she use sweetened condensed milk instead of evaporated milk in a tuna casserole recipe.

Sadly, I've done that too. :rolleyes1

ADisneygirl
07-02-2006, 07:45 AM
My first cooking experiences came with the Easy Bake Oven. I loved that thing and made many miniature cakes in it for my family. I remember my brother wanting to eat the whole thing himself because it is really no bigger than a cupcake, but no, my Mom made him share and let me cut it into 5 pieces.

First real fiasco was grilled cheese for my boyfriend in HS. I made it in a toaster oven, two slices of bread and cheese on top, then would fold the 2 pieces together when done. I guess I was always too preoccupied with him because I never noticed the cheese bubbling up into a huge bubble and turning black! Happened all the time, not just once so I began to use 2 slices of cheese on each piece of bread so that I had one that I could peel off when it turned black and there still would be cheese below!

Glad I never burned the house down. I can laugh because I am a much better cook now. :stir:

daksmom11
07-05-2006, 08:33 PM
One of the first things I learned to make was minute rice, so one day I put the cup of water and butter on to boil and sat down in front of the TV to wait( I was 12 or 13). The living room was a good way away from the kitchen so I didn't notice the smoke! Anyway the pan boiled dry, then it melted. The smell was horrible. I called the fire department and they came and turned off the burner :rolleyes1 . They then aired out the house. Its amazing I didn't burn down the house. We had about 6 kittens and the firemen ended up chasing them around the yard becouse they got out.
When my parents got home I had to show my mom her pan that now looked like and upside down crown. :rotfl: My dad got a marker out and wrote the date and stuff on it and told me he was going to give it to my future husband. When cleaning out the attic they threw it out-guess they gave up on me finding a husband.
I really am a better cook now. My son says I make the frozen chicken nuggets and fries.

UP Disney
07-06-2006, 06:13 PM
My first major failure that I remember was when I was still in high school. Mom put some potatoes on to boil for mashed potatoes. She had to go do something so she asked me to care of them when they got done. I just took them off the stove and left them in the water with the lid on. Mom didn't let me hear the end of that one for years. I really never paid attention much when mom was cooking. I was a great baker - started when I was about 9 or 10 baking cookies for dad but to cook a meal, I was useless.

UnderTheMistletoe
07-10-2006, 10:53 AM
Our first Thanksgiving. Never ever again.