PDA

View Full Version : Pharmacy perscription transfer coupons??

mommyceratops
06-19-2006, 10:03 AM
Anyone know where I can find one online?? I have made $60 this month transferring our perscriptions to Target and Rite Aid. But now I am out of coupons.

I tried to find some online but no luck anyone see any??

TIA

ReneeQ
06-19-2006, 07:43 PM
I don't have an answer for you, and don't mean to hi-jack your thread, but can anyone explain to me how this works? I've noticed this coupons in the past, but have never used one. How do you "transfer." Do you transfer back the following month to your original pharmacy, if you don't want to permanently change pharmacies? (for prescriptions you get every month).

CJMickeyMouse
06-19-2006, 08:09 PM
If you have a pharmacist you can trust and provides the service you need.... that is worth a lot more than $60. JMO. Would you use a discount coupon for a doctor?

I see firsthand what pharmacists do everyday and believe me... they do a lot more for you than you will ever know. Some more so than others.

**putting on flame retardant suit**

joannarph
06-19-2006, 10:27 PM
As a pharmacist, I would like to say that as the number of pharmacies that you use increases so does the chance of you having a potentially serious drug interaction. Every time I fill a prescription for someone, the computer and myself can screen that patient's profile to detect any allergies, interactions, etc. However, if you are using another pharmacy to get one of your medications filled I would never know about it and therefore I can't intervene if needed. I see people transfer in and out everyday just for an extra $10 coupon or whatever and I really do not think it is safe.

sap1227
06-19-2006, 10:36 PM
I think this really depends on the patient. My 4 year old is on 6 Rxs per month. All prescribed at the same time by the same Dr. I have no fears about the meds having any interaction problems. However, the $60 I just made from CVS by transferring 2 of them to them almost paid for his meds for this month.

It is VERY important to let any pharmacist know any and all meds you are taking, including OTC items.

As for the coupons, I got mine on Ebay :thumbsup2

Christy

mommyceratops
06-20-2006, 08:11 AM
I do agree that having a pharmacy you can trust is important. Switching is not safe every month, I do plan on going back to my original pharmacy. I swithced our allergy meds that we take monthly and made $40 at Rite Aid and $10 at Target.

I will switch back to my original pharmacy next month I did not like either pharmacy I tried.

daughtersrus
06-20-2006, 09:33 AM
I just wanted to add that the Osco stores in our area will accept a compeditors coupon and add an additional $5.00. Target, CVS and Meijer will also take compeditors coupons but at face value. Walgreens does not.

Meijer was running a coupon a few weeks ago for $25.00 that doesn't expire until the end of this week but I don't think that it's available on line anywhere to print.

CJMickeyMouse
06-20-2006, 09:45 AM
I will switch back to my original pharmacy next month I did not like either pharmacy I tried.

You're not going to win any favorite customer awards at your original pharmacy... (what you are doing adds a lot of hassle for everyone involved) but I do hope you get good service. :)

tallpkb
06-20-2006, 09:58 AM
As a pharmacist, I would like to say that as the number of pharmacies that you use increases so does the chance of you having a potentially serious drug interaction. Every time I fill a prescription for someone, the computer and myself can screen that patient's profile to detect any allergies, interactions, etc. However, if you are using another pharmacy to get one of your medications filled I would never know about it and therefore I can't intervene if needed. I see people transfer in and out everyday just for an extra $10 coupon or whatever and I really do not think it is safe.

In theory, and at your pharmacy, this may be true. But I have had sooo many pharmacy mistakes over the years. My daughter has been given incorrect dose of asthma meds, I'VE BEEN DISPENSED my husband's med (because they both start with the letter Z), etc., etc, and my mother has been given meds that are CONTRAINDICATED when someone, like her, are taking specific arthritis meds. These errors were all the result of the same pharmacy, except for my mom~her mistake was the result of BOTH the doctor AND the pharmacist. I think good, attentive and careful pharmacists are few and far between. At least where we live. JMHO.

Cindy B
06-20-2006, 10:25 AM
In our state, you can not use RX coupons unless you are over 62 years old. Lucky you that you can.

BethR
06-20-2006, 10:34 AM
These errors were all the result of the same pharmacy ... I think good, attentive and careful pharmacists are few and far between. At least where we live. JMHO.

I am so sorry that you have had these problems getting good pharmaceutical care, tallpkb. :( Of course, this has to be very discouraging to you and must really make you very wary of the care of pharmacists.

But as with all professions, you will find good and bad. Those who care and those who don't. And I would hope that MOST are good, and DO care!

I would suggest that search for a pharmacist who IS receptive to your needs. Ask your friends, family, trusted professionals where THEY go to get their prescriptions filled and see if they are happy with the care that they receive. Even try the coupons that are out there to "test drive" a pharmacy and pharmacists. But there is no reason for you to have so many problems. Find a pharmacist that you can trust! They DO exist! ::yes::

BTW - my DD has told me that where she has worked in the past that customers come in, and if a particular pharmacist is not on duty, that they will come back when s/her is there because they have built up a relationship and trust with a particular person. It is like going to a particular medical practice and preferring one MD to another. So think of choosing a pharmacist like choosing any medical professional - MD, dentist, etc. Choose them based upon comfort and trust. What "fits" for one person, may not "fit" for another.

BethR
06-20-2006, 10:37 AM
In our state, you can not use RX coupons unless you are over 62 years old. Lucky you that you can.

Cindy - where do you live?

kfeuer
06-20-2006, 10:59 AM
If you have a pharmacist you can trust and provides the service you need.... that is worth a lot more than $60. JMO. Would you use a discount coupon for a doctor?

While I agree the work pharmacies do is important, I have no hesitation about using prescription coupons wherever I can. With the increasing cost of health insurance and co-pays I have no choice but to save wherever I can. I can understand why pharmacist's don't like the coupons, but quite honestly that's part of the job if their employer chooses to put the coupons out.

And to answer your question, you bet I'd use a discount coupon for a dr. if I could :lmao:

BethR
06-20-2006, 11:35 AM
you bet I'd use a discount coupon for a dr. if I could :lmao:

Do you really mean that you would go to any doctor out there simply because they offered a discount on their services? :confused:

BethR
06-20-2006, 11:42 AM
I can understand why pharmacist's don't like the coupons, but quite honestly that's part of the job if their employer chooses to put the coupons out.

You are right, pharmacists are not happy about this - I just had a discussion with DD regarding this last night.
And you are right, that is part of their job if their employers choose to put the coupons out.
The people who are putting out these coupons are hoping to get people in the store, will receive excellent service, and will decide to stay with the store long term. But as we know, this is not how many of the coupons are used.
But in the end, it is up to all pharmacists to give the utmost in patient care - from someone who they see weekly or the person who will only come in when they have a coupon. You just get BETTER care when you KNOW a person. ::yes::

kilee
06-20-2006, 11:49 AM
I can see where it would be enticing to someone who is paying out of pocket for their meds. Every little bit will help. When my dh and I were paying out of pocket for some meds that weren't covered we found that Rite Aid was almost double the price for the same meds that Target was. That being said, I don't think I'd jump all over the place all the time, I think it could get too risky.

sbaldasare
06-20-2006, 12:25 PM
I'll admit that I use coupons and transfer prescriptions to other pharmacies. However, I only do it for my boy's multi-vitamins (with flouride) because it's not likly to get messed up changing around and the price is pretty much the same wherever I get them filled. Since insurance doesn't cover these at all - it really helps out. I would buy just over-the-counter vitamins, but we don't have flouride in our water. I use mail-order pharmacy through our insurance as much as possible - 3 months for the price of 2 month - gotta love that!

Anyways, with that being said. I got a CVS coupon in the mail a week or so ago. I know sometimes if you check on-line with your CVS card, there are coupons linked to your card. I have printed coupons in the past there.

mommyceratops
06-20-2006, 01:13 PM
Sorry I didn't mean to offend anyone.

I know I will not make my pharmacy happy. But they all ready don't like me because I triple CHECK everything, my DS has been overdosed on meds in the past one that really could of effected his value of life. Therefore I am VERY careful with any perscription. We moved about 2 years ago and I have not found a pharmacy I like, but our local grocery pharmacy is getting used to me and my over protectiveness.

Honestly we are on a very tight budget and the extra $50 I made in the gift cards they gave me really helped out.

I did not transfer important meds. Sinus meds and my hormone meds. :artist:

So yes if I could get another $50 in coupons this month I would transfer more. Hopefully to Target.

Rite Aid being one of the ones I transfered too and that is the only way they can get me back in their store is to pay me! :rotfl2: Our local Rite-Aid is awful!

kfeuer
06-20-2006, 01:23 PM
Do you really mean that you would go to any doctor out there simply because they offered a discount on their services? :confused:

In effect, because I belong to a "preferred provider" network for our insurance, yes I do! When we need a new dr., we ask around and try to get referrals but ultimately we have to choose someone who's in network. More then once I've just had to pick someone blindly off a list, which I hate doing. It really isn't that different then using a coupon when you think about it.

BethR
06-20-2006, 02:53 PM
In effect, because I belong to a "preferred provider" network for our insurance, yes I do! When we need a new dr., we ask around and try to get referrals but ultimately we have to choose someone who's in network. More then once I've just had to pick someone blindly off a list, which I hate doing. It really isn't that different then using a coupon when you think about it.

I understand what you mean. We are fortunate because our "preferred providers" are all the doctors that are associated with Highmark Blue Cross/Blue Shield so we have a huge pool from which to choose. It would hate having to choose blindly, but sometimes it is all that we can do. Not many of us can pay out of pocket at any doctors we wish. :(

imsayin
06-20-2006, 03:12 PM
I've never thought of a phamacist as someone I need a "relationship" with. I usually use whatever pharmacy is convenient for me the day I need a prescription filled (except for the 1 drug I am on forever, which I am required to fill via a mail order pharmacy). My insurance changes rules all the time, which in turn makes me change my pharmacy. Also, if I choose the local CVS, Walgreens, etc., there are so many pharmacists on staff, none of them really know me. I could see this working if I had my local small shop pharmacist, but that doesn't exist anywhere near me.

CJMickeyMouse
06-20-2006, 03:41 PM
I've never thought of a phamacist as someone I need a "relationship" with. I usually use whatever pharmacy is convenient for me the day I need a prescription filled (except for the 1 drug I am on forever, which I am required to fill via a mail order pharmacy). My insurance changes rules all the time, which in turn makes me change my pharmacy. Also, if I choose the local CVS, Walgreens, etc., there are so many pharmacists on staff, none of them really know me. I could see this working if I had my local small shop pharmacist, but that doesn't exist anywhere near me.

And this is just yet another way that insurance messes up healthcare. I own a local small shop pharmacy. We have "relationships" with each and every customer. We call them by name. We answer night calls. Holidays too. We correct errors the physicians make, and answer their questions when they ask what drug is best for a given patient. (Which happens a lot more than people think!!!!)

And the kicker is that 9 times out of 10 our cash price is cheaper than WalMart's. :thumbsup2 :lmao:

If you have a privately owned pharmacy in your area (I know they are few and far between and becoming more rare due to Medicare Part D) you might want to check it out. You might be pleasantly suprised.

Oh, but more than likely they won't take your coupon. :)

CJMickeyMouse
06-20-2006, 03:59 PM
And to answer your question, you bet I'd use a discount coupon for a dr. if I could :lmao:

That is just really, really scary to me. It's like saying you would go to the dirtiest, raunchiest health department violating restaraunt just because you could save a buck on a cheeseburger. Nevermind the problems it will cause later.

Like it was stated earlier in this thread... there are good and bad pharmacists, good and bad doctors, good and bad insurance. You do the math.... your chances of getting the best without paying attention are not very good! :confused3

PoohHappens
06-20-2006, 04:00 PM
I just thought I would mention that our Target pharmacy will take competitiors coupons. They also told me they will honor it for a regular refill even if the coupons states new or transferred on it. They would rather keep your business than have you transfer. I do not know if this is true for all Target's but I would check into it.

polkadotladybug
06-20-2006, 04:26 PM
Wow - using a coupon for a doctor being equated with eating at the raunchiest restaurant in town is just illogical. I agree - when I choose a doctor from our BC/BS website - it's almost like flipping through the phone book (except a little smaller). If someone offered a coupon, I would try them. Now if they were a nasty gross icky doctor in the worst part of town with dirty equipment - no - and I don't think any rational person would. That's rather insulting to make that leap in assumption - don't you think??

I will gladly use a coupon to get my Zyrtec. It's $63 per month for me - and we have a high deductible so I pay that out of pocket. If I can save 10 or 15 bucks - you bet! I obviously wouldn't go to the hole in the wall pharmacy with vagrant dope addicts hanging outside to save a few bucks - but come on - we're talking Target!

I can see this is a personal issue for you - it would be for me too, if I owned a small pharmacy. Your income decreases for every person who shops at the big chain pharmacies. But to imply that using a coupon is in some way intentionally compromising our health and the health of our families is just way off base. I'm a SAHM. If I can save $10 or 15 here and there - that's gas in the tank, food on the table, heck - it's part of our insurance premium!

BethR
06-20-2006, 04:48 PM
I think that what we are seeing here are those that look at pharmacists as medical professionals - ones which you want to build a relationship with - they know you, you know them and they are interested in you and your care.

Others look at pharmacists as those who count pills from a big bottle into a small bottle.

Some of us don't want to change pharmacies because that a pharmacist's relationship is important to us.

For others, there is no relationship with a pharmacy or pharmacist and being able to save the money at a convenient, reputable store is more important.

Nothing wrong with either camp. Just differing priorities.

CJMickeyMouse
06-20-2006, 05:55 PM
Very well said, Beth!

What people don't realize is that there are BAD doctors. And I am sure there are BAD pharmacists as well. Not because people don't like them.... not because they have a dirty office, but because they make poor decisions in treating patients.

There are Dr's that I would morgage my home before I would let my insurance company make me do business with them. It's a gamble I am not willing to take.

kfeuer
06-20-2006, 07:45 PM
Wow - using a coupon for a doctor being equated with eating at the raunchiest restaurant in town is just illogical. I agree - when I choose a doctor from our BC/BS website - it's almost like flipping through the phone book (except a little smaller). If someone offered a coupon, I would try them. Now if they were a nasty gross icky doctor in the worst part of town with dirty equipment - no - and I don't think any rational person would. That's rather insulting to make that leap in assumption - don't you think??

I will gladly use a coupon to get my Zyrtec. It's $63 per month for me - and we have a high deductible so I pay that out of pocket. If I can save 10 or 15 bucks - you bet! I obviously wouldn't go to the hole in the wall pharmacy with vagrant dope addicts hanging outside to save a few bucks - but come on - we're talking Target!

I can see this is a personal issue for you - it would be for me too, if I owned a small pharmacy. Your income decreases for every person who shops at the big chain pharmacies. But to imply that using a coupon is in some way intentionally compromising our health and the health of our families is just way off base. I'm a SAHM. If I can save $10 or 15 here and there - that's gas in the tank, food on the table, heck - it's part of our insurance premium!

:thumbsup2 Extremely well said! I totally agree!

kfeuer
06-20-2006, 07:49 PM
There are Dr's that I would morgage my home before I would let my insurance company make me do business with them. It's a gamble I am not willing to take.

The scary thing is, as end consumers we have no idea who those doctors are. Nobody in their right mind wants a second-rate dr., but how do we know? We don't, we just have to do the best we can. Scary stuff.

CindyD
06-20-2006, 08:54 PM
Interesting discussion going on here. I have been a hospital pharmacist for 19 years and totally agree with the Good/Bad of each profession. My advice on picking a MD is that if you know any health care professional (pharmacist-nurse etc) that works in a hospital....ask them to recommend a good MD. I can tell you from some of the things I have seen-heard-corrected who I trust my family's health with! If you are looking for a good OB-GYN ask a few nurses who work in a Labor/Delivery unit or ask them who they go to!! They have the knowledge to help guide you in your choices. Of course, this only works if you know someone who works in that environment

Cindy B
06-20-2006, 09:27 PM
Cindy - where do you live?

NJ In all of the tri state newspapers/Sunday inserts there is a disclaimer on the RX coupons that state something like NJ residents must be over 62 to claim this coupon.

BethR
06-20-2006, 10:16 PM
NJ In all of the tri state newspapers/Sunday inserts there is a disclaimer on the RX coupons that state something like NJ residents must be over 62 to claim this coupon.

Interesting. Maybe this is a way for the state to provide benefits to the elderly (and no, I really don't believe that 62 is elderly - but how DO we refer to people of retirement age??? :confused3: ).

CJMickeyMouse
06-20-2006, 11:37 PM
The scary thing is, as end consumers we have no idea who those doctors are. Nobody in their right mind wants a second-rate dr., but how do we know? We don't, we just have to do the best we can. Scary stuff.

Yes, I agree..... but if you go to a great Dr. and an unknown, unreliable pharmacist gives them advice on what to prescribe there may be problems!

I guess you just have to decide if it's worth the savings.... if I were outside the health care profession I would definitely do my homework - ask questions of people you trust and go from there. The more care you use in choosing a doctor AND a pharmacist, the better. :)