PDA

View Full Version : What else to do in Cocoa Beach area besides Kennedy Space Center?

traces7
06-19-2006, 06:41 AM
We are renting a car for 1 day to go to the ocean, probably Cocoa Beach area. I know about Kennedy Space Center and Ron Jon Shop, is there anything else you recommend to do in Cocoa Beach? Where is a nice area to just go and see the ocean? Thanks! :goodvibes

conny264
06-19-2006, 07:32 AM
We went a little further north to Titusville and then offer to Merritt Island,spend some time at the Visitor center,did the Black Point Wildlife Drive,went to the Manatee observation Deck and to Playalinda Beach.It was a wonderful and relaxing day with beautiful nature and animals.The beachaccess cost a small fee ,but itīs worth it.The rest is free.
Enjoy your visit,we did.
Greetings from Germany
Conny :wave:

Dizneydaz
06-19-2006, 02:24 PM
We're wondering the same thing. My DM likes to do a few days of non-Disney things (go figure! :rotfl2: ) In Jan. we were lucky enough to see a missile launch and my DM and my sister went back to the Kennedy Center later in the trip. My other sis, my niece, my DD6, and myself spent the day at the world.

This time we are staying at POP for 10 nights (to take advantage of DDP!) but we will be taking a few day trips to the beach, etc. Maybe we'll check out Merrit Island too, it sounds good. :thanks:

jpaxton1118
06-19-2006, 10:32 PM
Last year was our first trip to Disney. I did not know how it would go so I booked the last part of our trip at cocoa. We hated it!!! We spent one day doing all the space center stuff but the next day we drove back to Orlando to go to gator land. It was such a big disappointment after being at Disney. Next time we go to Kennedy it will be a short short day trip!!! :furious:

traces7
06-20-2006, 07:15 AM
We're just doing a day trip too. Mostly we want to see the ocean, since we've never seen it. I don't think we're even going to Kennedy Space Center yet, but I'm not sure. Where is the best spot to be on the beach and look at the ocean? Merrit Island sounds neat!

conny264
06-20-2006, 10:31 AM
Playalinda beach is wonderful,but Cocoa beach has a nice beach access on a lot of spots.
Conny

rottendog
06-22-2006, 01:07 PM
Cocoa Beach & Titusville both have kayak tours that you can do. We did one in CB two years ago and got to see SEVERAL manatees!

We're going to try the one in Titusville this time.

We loved CB, kids can't wait to go back and try "surf school".

princesscj
06-30-2006, 08:11 PM
To me it is worth going west over to the St. Pete/ Clearwater area. Much calmer ocean, white sugar sand, clear water, etc. Cocoa beach is nice, but rough waves, dark water, and shelly sand. It's an hours drive vs about 2 hours drive.

Dizneydaz
06-30-2006, 09:23 PM
:thanks: princesscj. I like the idea of a shorter drive! :thumbsup2

traces7
06-30-2006, 10:39 PM
And we definitely wanted to see the Atlantic Ocean, that's why we chose to go to Cocoa Beach. Anybody know of a really good area on the beach to just look at the ocean in the Cocoa Beach area?
Oh I guess I read the last posts wrong, does it take less time to drive to Clearwater? I thought Cocoa Beach was closer to WDW. :confused3

safetymom
07-01-2006, 07:30 AM
Cocoa Beach is closer than Clearwater.

powellrj
07-01-2006, 04:38 PM
And we definitely wanted to see the Atlantic Ocean, that's why we chose to go to Cocoa Beach. Anybody know of a really good area on the beach to just look at the ocean in the Cocoa Beach area?
Oh I guess I read the last posts wrong, does it take less time to drive to Clearwater? I thought Cocoa Beach was closer to WDW. :confused3

We usually just use the public access behind the Ron Jon Shop. It is metered parking and its really cheap. We never stay more than an hour so it works out well for us.

mercydisney
07-02-2006, 05:19 PM
If you do go to Cocoa Beach bring an old bathing suit. We just got back (wanted to see shuttle launch) DD's bathing suit is full of black tar. YUCK!!
DH stated it was the tar, lots and lots of tar.

We live 1/2 hr away from west coast beaches, I prefer them, much cleanier.
But I did enjoy the breaze from the atlantic ocean. We all came home RED
because it was such a nice breaze that we didn't realize the sun was out!!
NO flame we all had on suntan lotion reapplied. We were their 10AM until 5pm.

princesscj
07-02-2006, 09:06 PM
Sorry, it's an hour drive to Cocoa not Clearwater, that's 2 hours, I am sorry you misunderstood me! Enjoy your beach visit!! :)