PDA

View Full Version : So how much are Rain Ponchos at WDW?

Microcell
06-18-2006, 05:29 PM
Looking on Ebay for a better deal, since we are going in September, and I don't know what they cost at the parks!

kesha
06-18-2006, 05:56 PM
Too Much! Go to the Dollar Store or Dollar Tree and get several for a lot less money. When you get done with them or they tear you just throw them away.

LadyBears
06-18-2006, 05:57 PM
I don't remember park price, but when we go, I get them from Walmart or BigLots, etc for $0.99 each (if that!). I buy I few - use them then toss them.

You can also get different colored ones. Years ago, it would be a sea of yellow at Disney - now they are clear. By getting the colored ones, you can find your group easier.

caribear
06-18-2006, 06:00 PM
$7.00 for adult, $6.00 for children

SplshMtn99
06-18-2006, 06:01 PM
I haven't paid park price since 1999, and then they were about $6 each. We only gave in & bought them because we were having torrential downpours that lasted about 2 hours.

Since the year 2000, I've used the same green ponchos from the dollar store mainly because cheaper, take way less room & usually don't need them & you won't look like everyone else. They lasted thru tropical storm day at MK in 2001....and still going.

During the tropical storm, there were only 1000 people in the park. I wasn't letting ALOT of wind & rain (or 9/11 same week) stop our vacation. Tevas on the feet, tank & shorts that dry fast. Camcorder with plastic bag over it & the strap thru a slit in the bag (so the bag opening is facing the ground). And ponchos. And ziploc bags for EVERYTHING in the backpack. READY TO ROLL!!! People commented on how well prepared we were....as they huddled under shelter. Rode everything twice without getting off since no one waiting to get onto the rides. Woohoo!!!! First time I ever rode Dumbo since it was a walk on. Everything was a walk-on. :teeth:

But pictures with no one in them & flags at half staff dampen the memories.

butterfuleyes
06-18-2006, 06:13 PM
$7.00 for adult, $6.00 for children
We jsut came from Tropical Storm Alberto, and can attest we paid $14 for 2 adult ponchos. But, they kept us wet and we have another Mickey souvenir.

Microcell
06-18-2006, 10:24 PM
Thanks everyone. DH has a poncho with Mickey on it, and I don't care, but the kids... gotta have the Disney magic and I suppose that is worth 12 dollars to me. I will be going to the dollar store for myself and extras!

englishteacha
06-18-2006, 10:43 PM
We got ponchos in 2002 off site for a couple dollars less than in the parks. They said Florida instead of WDW. DH got a Mickey one and I got a Pooh Bear one. If you're staying off site, you might have luck at one of the touristy shops. Your kids might like choosing different characters, too. If you don't mind a plain poncho, Walmart has plain ponchos in many colors for $3 each. They're about the same weight as the WDW ones. We're taking 2/$1 ones this year. They're much easier to carry.

Topper
06-19-2006, 03:48 AM
But, they kept us wet

:confused3

4chitlins
06-19-2006, 05:32 AM
Looking on Ebay for a better deal, since we are going in September, and I don't know what they cost at the parks!
Gosh we got a bunch at Walmart for 87 cents and when we were done we threw them away

LorieR
06-19-2006, 05:42 AM
Brought $1.00 ponchos to WDW last November and left them in suitcase!! :crazy: It started to pour at MK in the late afternoon and lasted just about up until park closing. I mean flooded!! I bought ponchos at the park for $7.00 each for myself and DH and they were a terrific investment! Much less flimsy than the cheap ones and much more comfortable to wear, if that is possible when wearing a layer of plastic over your clothes! For quick showers I will still plan on using the cheap ponchos.

Lorie

ktglads
06-19-2006, 07:47 AM
Also, a little known fact is that if your poncho rips, all you need to do is go to the nearest gift shop and exchange it (wet or dry) and Disney will give you a brand new one. I think I have been going off the same original purchase of a poncho for 5 trips now. If you figure that out, I am saving money over the dollar store ones.

BethR
06-19-2006, 01:57 PM
I think I have been going off the same original purchase of a poncho for 5 trips now. If you figure that out, I am saving money over the dollar store ones.

I bought mine in 2001 and have used it through 5 trips to WDW and to numerous other places as well. I keep mine rolled up - it ends up being about the width of a can of pringles or smaller and the length is about 6 inches. I keep it in my beltpack along with the other things that I am carrying for the day. I am very happy with the "investment" that I made with my yellow Mickey poncho.

I will say that I am the only one in my family who likes ponchos though. Everyone else would rather carry and use one of those small umbrellas. ::yes::

iNTeNSeBLue98
06-20-2006, 06:25 AM
We were in AK during the rains of Alberto last week. I had packed some ponchos from Walmart and Dollar Tree and used them two days. The rest of my party thought I was insane with my Ziplocs and ponchos, but we accomplished so much at AK during the rain - I think they were happy I was prepared and we didn't lose a day of touring.

I saw many a Mickey poncho that was torn, but our cheapies held up really well and kept us mostly dry, except when the wind blew our hoods off. On the night before we checked out I threw them in the trash - one (three) less things to pack up and take back home.

MyZoeJane
06-20-2006, 09:20 AM
'specially those sturdy ponchos from the Target $1 spot! I opened one up and I'm impressed! :thumbsup2

mtblujeans
06-20-2006, 01:14 PM
We were in AK during the rains of Alberto last week....We were too.....at the Magic Kingdom that day! When it looked like the rain wouldn't end, I bought 5 adult and 1 child ponchos. When we stepped outside the shop, it had literally stopped raining and I carried them around all day. They let me return them later that night when it didn't rain any more for that day and we had not used them. With the tax, I think all 6 of them were 40.99! :rolleyes: I'll never go back to WDW without our Dolloar Store ponchos! :blush:

In Luv with Disney
06-20-2006, 11:22 PM
I just bought ponchos from the Dollar Tree the other day...two for a dollar! And they come in red, white, yellow.

BTW, I didn't know that you can return a ripped Disney poncho anywhere and they will replace it! That's good to know...we still have one that comes with us on each trip! Don't know the condition of it, though...

krissy2803
06-21-2006, 04:48 AM
I actually found one of the old yellow ones at a local thrift store here. It is still in great (if not new looking) shape!
I paid .98 cents for it. :woohoo:
We still have our two clear ones from last year and are planning on using them over and over till they wear out.

Pixiedust34
06-21-2006, 06:34 AM
Last summer we bought our kids some high quality ponchos. They were a pain to refold and carry after every time it rained. Next time we are using disposables. I've been stocking up on cheap ponchos.

Another thing I didn't like about ponchos in general is that when you travel in August when it is HOT and HUMID, wearing a poncho is downright miserable. Unless it's a downpour, I'd rather get a little wet than be confined in plastic and sweat. I'd like to use an umbrella, but those aren't practical if you're in a crowd.

iNTeNSeBLue98
06-21-2006, 09:07 AM
adding - It was also very convenient to pack the Dollar Tree/Walmart plastic ponchos in a gallon-size Ziploc bag when they were wet then toss the Ziploc in a backpack when we went to indoor attractions.

rockyroad
06-21-2006, 10:13 AM
Another thing I didn't like about ponchos in general is that when you travel in August when it is HOT and HUMID, wearing a poncho is downright miserable. Unless it's a downpour, I'd rather get a little wet than be confined in plastic and sweat. I'd like to use an umbrella, but those aren't practical if you're in a crowd.

The cheap ponchos are much lighter than the better quality ones...and cooler.

If you are there during a coolish time of the year, then heavier ponchos might feel good, but in the heat, when I am running in and out of buildings, and the rain is starting and stopping, then lighter is better.

La2kw
06-21-2006, 12:08 PM

They are too much. Go to Target and get them in the camping section for 89cents. They are small enough to fit in your pocket and you can just throw them out before you come home.

imageid
06-21-2006, 12:13 PM
We too were there for Tropical Storm Alberto!!

I bought Coleman ponchos in the camping section at Target. They cost .99. They definately were a lot cooler than the heavy, expensive ponchos at WDW! We used ours for 3 days and only had one small tear, my son got his caught on something while we were waiting out a downpour in one of the shops.

I Believe n Fairies
06-21-2006, 01:24 PM
I have a Dollar General in my area. It's a small chain store that has things inexpensive. I've seen Disney, Dora, and Sponge Bob children's ponchos there for $5.00

To those of you who reuse your poncho, what do you do with your soaking wet poncho after use??? Do you bring a large ziploc? :confused3

iNTeNSeBLue98
06-21-2006, 01:59 PM
To those of you who reuse your poncho, what do you do with your soaking wet poncho after use??? Do you bring a large ziploc? :confused3

In Ziplocs while in the parks, hung on the hangers in the room to dry overnight or while on a break from the parks...just fluff them out at some point so the inside dries too.

ktglads
06-21-2006, 02:43 PM
I personally use the smallest bag that they use at the giftshops. I can fit the poncho in and then thread it through my belt pack. Then at the hotel, it is hung in the closet to fully dry overnight.