PDA

View Full Version : FL water = gross

babywewe
06-17-2006, 10:44 PM
Does anyone else agree? I thought ... eh, how bad could it be, i'll suck it up and drink it anyways. But, WOW! That is some gross water. It made me feel ill when i drank it. I really wish I bought one of those brita water filters...
I had planned on carrying an empty water bottle around with me in my backpack and fill it from the fountain. I did'nt do it! However, water in Epcot seemed to taste the best. I think its because they had diffrent water fountions that had very cold water and perhapes filter.

MickeyMonstersMom
06-18-2006, 05:57 AM
Strangely, I worried about the water before we took our first trip and we carried the Brita bottles for the first couple of days - and then one of the kids used a fountain at MK and proclaimed it drinkable. While I'm glad we don't have to lug around the bottles, I'm always surprised to read posts saying WDW water tastes bad. Maybe our water at home is just so bad we don't notice...!

WillCAD
06-18-2006, 10:21 AM
Opinions vary, depending on what kind of water you have at home. The unpleasant tastes are also far less noticable when the water is cold, so you may not have any problem with ice water at a restaurant or counter-service food place.

Water inside WDW property is very metallic and bitter tasting to me. Once in a while I even get a slight whiff of chlorine from it.

Water off-site is just plain sulfurous. It smells and tastes like swamp water to me. Yuck!

I carry a Brita Fill and Go bottle with me in Orlando, which takes out all of the unpleasant taste.

momrek06
06-18-2006, 10:31 AM
My parents have a winter home in Palm Harbor and we go every year before heading to WDW and YESSSSSSSSSS, the water is so wicked grossssssss!!

My parents have all bottled water. Is this a Florida problem in general? WDW water is horrible as well.

We live in MA and the water is fabulous up here!!!

I think it is town to town and state to state. The bigger the city the more they have to put chemicals in to keep it DRINKABLE.

My DH had a 4 year temp job in NYC and YUCK, that was pretty bad as well.
Again, a BIG city!

babywewe
06-18-2006, 10:41 AM
I live on the board of the Queens and Long Island. Queens gets NYC water and I think its awsome! They "flow" it down from the catskill Mts. My water (here on LI) is well water and that is ick!

Next time i'm going to get one of those brita things. I would have asked for a cup of water from counter service but all the line where LONG and i felt silly waiting just to ask for a free cup of ice water!

Chuck S
06-18-2006, 10:46 AM
Is this a Florida problem in general? WDW water is horrible as well.

The problem is not limited to FL. We stopped for the night in Pascagoula, MS. At least the WDW water is clear. The water in MS is so discolored it looks like someone has already used the restroom, while they say it is safe to drink, the motel did provide bottled drinking water. The water is lighter but still yellow, in Slidell, LA, too.

Some of the discoloration is due to natural tannins released into the water by cypress trees. Some of it is sulphur.

Karnak
06-18-2006, 10:56 AM
It strikes me as strange that Florida water is dubbed as "bad" when much of the bottled water sold in the USA comes from Florida.

disneynutt1225
06-18-2006, 11:05 AM
I had Montezuma's revenge (or at least it sure did feel like it) from the water several years ago. My mother is allergic to Sulfur and I think I have an allergy as well, and WDW water seems to have a high content of Sulfur. Since then, DFi purchased a camel-pack backpack and we usually buy a few gallons of water in the general store from whatever hotel we're staying at, fill up the backpack daily, and enjoy that water throughout the trip. I haven't gotten sick once since we started doing that. I do still drink sodas and use the ice in WDW, but since I don't consume a large quantity of their water, I've been doing ok.

babywewe
06-18-2006, 09:02 PM
It strikes me as strange that Florida water is dubbed as "bad" when much of the bottled water sold in the USA comes from Florida.

Water is water and if you purify it enough it will taste good. It all depends on the processing it gets and what chemicals are added to it. I really dont like that bottled water they have in florida that starts with a Z, Zepthydel? Really, I only like deer park, poland spring and dasani.

disneynutt1225
06-18-2006, 09:20 PM
Zephyrhills. Tastes like plastic in a bottle IMO.

Linnie The Pooh
06-18-2006, 11:28 PM
YES! I thought it was just me being picky. I always buy bottled water/Brita/RO water etc. When we first went to FL years ago, I drank the water and it was so gross. I never stopped whining about it until DH bought me a big jug of bottled water. It was so chloriny tasting. Yeah, I know that's not a word. but that's how it tasted. Yuck!!

DonnaSue
06-18-2006, 11:53 PM
QUOTE: "The problem is not limited to FL. We stopped for the night in Pascagoula, MS. At least the WDW water is clear. The water in MS is so discolored it looks like someone has already used the restroom, while they say it is safe to drink, the motel did provide bottled drinking water. The water is lighter but still yellow, in Slidell, LA, too."

Chuck, LOL!!! I live in Pascagoula, MS!!! I hope your visit here was better than the water you experienced! A couple of years ago, they fixed our water problem - we now have crystal clear, no-taste" water!!! Come back for a visit! We are slowly putting our little town back together after Katrina - but the water is still good!!!

My FIL has a house in Ft. Pierce, Florida. Now, that is some BAD water!!! My Dad's family is spread all over Florida, and the water is hard (soft here in MS) and tastes funky all over Florida! But I don't find it intolerable - just different!

Donna

angwill
06-19-2006, 02:08 AM
I grew up in the Chicago suburbs and loved the water there. I have a friend who grew up in the same town as me who told me to buy water at Disney because she can't stand the taste. I am the pickiest water drinker I know since all I drink is water and coffee. I brought my brita water filter bottles and we never used them. I was very surprised when I chanced trying the water and it was fine to me and my family. I really thought I would be seriously grossed out. I think it is all personal preference. I enjoy bottled spring water but not bottled filtered water. My friend is the opposite. To each his own!

Harvest02
06-19-2006, 06:40 AM
I grew up in the Chicago suburbs and loved the water there. I have a friend who grew up in the same town as me who told me to buy water at Disney because she can't stand the taste. I am the pickiest water drinker I know since all I drink is water and coffee. I brought my brita water filter bottles and we never used them. I was very surprised when I chanced trying the water and it was fine to me and my family. I really thought I would be seriously grossed out. I think it is all personal preference. I enjoy bottled spring water but not bottled filtered water. My friend is the opposite. To each his own!

I agree with angwill! I was so concerned about the water at Disney that I was afraid to try it as well. I can honestly say that I did not find the taste offensive at all. We stayed at ASMo, and I did not find the water had a bad smell or taste. We live in Indiana, and do not have a water softener or any kind of filtering system on our water. I didn't notice any difference between our water at home or Florida. The rest of my family didn't mind the water either. Maybe we are just used to bad water LOL!!!

mickeyfan2
06-19-2006, 06:44 AM
I find it too gross to drink. I buy bottled water for the room and in the parks.

sammielynn
06-19-2006, 08:02 AM
My DS16 drinks nothing but water and milk, he stopped soda a few months ago. While we were in Orlando he carried his own bottle of water into most resturants. We were at Olive Garden one night and he ask the waiter if they had that bad water :rotfl2:. The man was taken back and said that their water was filtered, but DS would not even try their water. He had Italian water instead. He even used bottled water to brush his teeth. Needless to say I will never get that Tennessee boy to move to Florida because of the water.
I think the water in the parks is not so bad. I would always order a cup of water with my meals. I did carry those little drink tubes with me just incase I got a bad cup of water.

isla bonita
06-19-2006, 08:07 AM
We also find it distasteful. We buy 2.5 gal jugs for the fridge, and bottled for the parks.

trennr
06-19-2006, 08:42 AM
I could actually handle it with lots and lots of ICE!!!! :rolleyes:

momof3littlelilos
06-19-2006, 09:00 AM
We live in Orange County and will not drink the water from the tap. We use Brita filters and bottled water.
We're from Boston though...maybe Native Floridians are okay with the water, but not us
:drinking1

penguin087
06-19-2006, 10:22 AM
I agree the water is pretty bad in WDW. I still feel thirsty after drinking it. It has so much chemical "flavor" it doesn't even do the job. I only drink water, iced tea and coffee. I'm not big on soda or juice. I just allow extra in my budget because I know I'm going to spend $10 a day on bottled water. I think it is what you are used to. I drink mostly bottled water anyway and at home I have a spring fed well. I can even taste clorine(sp?) in coffee at other peoples houses.

babywewe
06-19-2006, 11:15 AM
The water is so hard that when i got out of the shower I still felt "dirty" because the water was slighty sticky feeling! It even had a smell!

tiggtail
06-19-2006, 11:29 AM
I am glad the OP started this thread because to me, water is a really huge issue after studying health and nutrition for quite some time. We have some of the best water anywhere here in western Montana (at least IMO) and so going to WDW makes this a huge issue for us. I agree with all above posts that WDW is not good tasting. We had found some bottled water from Idaho that was absolutely wonderful so I was going to send a few cases on ahead before our next trip. After realizing that shipping would be $80, I changed my mind but also found out the company went bankrupt! So now we are going to a most wonderful vacation place and don't know what to do about the water. If it was just a few days, then we would just buy bottled there, but it is for 10 - too long for florida bottled water. We are definately frustrated about what to do.

ZoZo
06-19-2006, 12:56 PM
Next time i'm going to get one of those brita things.

Be aware that it's hard to find Brita "Fill and Go" water bottles. Brita stopped making them a couple of years back - if you're lucky, you can find them at places that still have them left over (I found one at my local Bartell Drug Store), but they're not easy to find at stores. Apparently, you can get them on E-Bay, though.

missummer
06-19-2006, 01:32 PM
I have heard from people that they bring the single Crystal light packets or individual Kool-aid packets to add to the water from WDW. They said it helps cover up the taste. I think we will be packing some of these for our upcoming trip!

RoseNJ
06-20-2006, 07:38 AM
I brought this up on the boards years ago and got blasted from many people who thought the water didn't taste. I don't even like brushing my teeth with this water and avoid the ice as much as possible. Maybe it is a regional thing when it comes to the "taste" of water, but , personally, I don't want to taste the water when I'm drinking, especially when the taste is bad. pirate:

cnids00
06-20-2006, 07:50 AM
You can buy a Brita Fill'n Go Waterbottle and filters for it, it is the best purchase I've made for WDW except for the trip there itself ;) They sell them here at CVS and are $7.99 each, 2-pack filter same price. It's worth it and takes away the taste of the water.

We spent at least $25 a day for water in the parks the 1st trip, 2nd trip = none :)

I swear by this product :banana: