PDA

View Full Version : Shuttle Launch

teacher31
06-17-2006, 04:56 PM
Yes, I know Titusville is about 60 miles away, but does anybody know if people in the parks have witnessed the launch? Will be there on July 1 and am hopeful.

flatline
06-17-2006, 05:18 PM
if you know where to look, you can definately see it in Orlando. we've seen it from Tampa.

yogibigdog
06-17-2006, 05:19 PM
When I lived in Orlando I could see the shuttle when it took off. If it is a clear day look east and you should see the trail of smoke from the engines. It is a good distance away but since Florida is so flat you can see it.

ttfn3
06-17-2006, 06:35 PM
Yes, you can see it from Lake Buena Vista. We saw a launch last July. We drove to a drug store near the Premium Outlet malls and watched it. The TV & radio stations down there provide excellent coverage - so we listened to the radio to determine if the launch actually happened and looked NorthEast - and saw it. Very cool!

kidsister
06-17-2006, 06:46 PM
Years ago, we were staying at the Poly and overheard some people talking about the shuttle launch scheduled for 6am the next morning. We had a car, so we decided to get up and drive over. There were a bunch of cars parked along side the road that stretched for miles along the launch site, so we pulled over, drank some morning coffee and enjoyed a spectacular view!
Then got back to Dis for MK park opening.......

I was lucky enough to get invited to a shuttle launch scheduled for late August, early September.....Yep, I'm planning on going! Since I was already scheduled for a Sept4-11 trip to Pop, I'm hoping that it will 'window' somewhere during that time. But if not, I'll have to try to schedule SW airlines who don't charge you for changing your date of travel. Luckily, they start flying nonstops between Denver and MCO in August!!! Yippee!

pbharris4
06-17-2006, 06:49 PM
We saw it from the Poly Luau (the second to last launch before they suspended them, I think). It was right before the Luau started. Everyone rushed to the front area right of the stage (of course, I went too wondering what the heck was going on) and you could see it going up, the trail of smoke and then the booster rockets (or whatever they are) come off. It was so neat. DH and DD had gone to the bathroom and had just missed it. I got a good picture or two of it. It goes quick, too! We'll be down there for this one too.

pbharris4
06-17-2006, 06:50 PM
teacher31.... see you there!

teacher31
06-17-2006, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the information! I have always wanted to see a launch and this is just pure dumb luck that I might be able to see some small part of it. I can't wait!! :banana:

pbharris - see you then, too! Hope you have a great trip.