PDA

View Full Version : Venting...Bad experience w/ Yankee online sale

fan_of_small_world
06-17-2006, 03:20 PM
I placed an order w/ Yankee Candle when their June sale was announced here on the budget board for 6 candles. There were quite a few items marked as "sold out," but I was happy to find several that said "in stock" that I liked. I planned to use them as gifts for the office staff and some other folks at my child's school. I even paid extra for 5-7 day shipping.

Well, I'd been hoping that the package would have arrived at the 5-day mark, but it hadn't so I went to the package tracking provided online just to check. That's when I discovered that 3 of the 6 items were "cancelled." I called customer service, and the CSR, without even having to check my order number, said that means the items were out of stock when the order was filled. I asked whether there was any type of notification sent out letting me know that half my order would be missing, and right away she launched into the "it states in our terms and conditions blah blah blah." Confirming her statement, here is what I found on the website...

"...the price and availability of any products contained or referenced on this Web Site is subject to change at any time and without notice."

Now, I know that most companies have this type of language in their t&c, and I'm not saying they did anything illegal, but I honestly have never dealt with a company that did this! Every online order I have ever placed has either been fulfilled or, if there was a change, they notified me (this only happened once or twice).

To top it all off, although day 7 is Monday, the half I am still getting was just shipped out today, which I pretty much assume means that it won't be here by Monday. :furious: So, now I have to run around at the last minute and find something to give these folks (and I guarantee it won't be from the YC store!!).

Thanks for letting me vent!!

jeankeri
06-17-2006, 06:04 PM
Sorry to hear this happened to you. Has the package gone anywhere yet? Hopefully it will arrive in time for you to gift the candels. Otherwise I would call YC on the 7th day and request a refund of the extra shipping you paid.

crisi
06-17-2006, 09:30 PM
When you are buying clearance items from a popular website, they often go out of stock from the time you put them in your cart to the time you check out. That's the way it goes on great deals. Most companies have their carts time out after a certain time, but it takes a while, and since there is a very high abandon rate on carts (shopping and not hitting the buy button) companies don't move it out of inventory until it is actually sold.

And its up to you to check your order. Some companies will send an email, some don't.

KirstenB
06-18-2006, 02:00 PM
I totally agree. I've shopped with LL Bean, Lands End, Pottery Barn and Talbots. All of them seem to have "real time" updating, so that if they've sold out of something, I can't complete the purchase. I bought some clearance Christmas stuff 4 years ago from Yankee Candle, and ran into the same situation. Because of this, I haven't purchased anything from their website since.

I could understand this better if it were a small company, but YC is big.

razamataz
06-18-2006, 06:39 PM
I have also experienced this frustration with Overstockdotcom.

What I was most upset about was the fact that they had already charged my credit card, before they discovered that the item was not in stock. So, not only, did I not get what I ordered, but I had to wait 10 days before I could get the charge credited.

And then after I get this all cleared up, I went back to the website a week later and they had the exact same product listed.

UGH!!!!