PDA

View Full Version : Those that save change all year......

lisaross
06-17-2006, 01:27 PM
OK now i have a huge jar of change - what is the best way to cash it in for dollars??

I'd hate to roll it all - what about the coin machines?? do you know the best coin machine place that does not take a big percentage of your money?

how do you guys do it??

i'm assuming i've got about 500+ in change.

thanks

lisa

DVC~OKW~96
06-17-2006, 01:28 PM
LOL! I just keep saving it! I look at the amount to deal with and just close the door and keep filling those jars! LOL!

It will be interesting to learn what others do. I keep telling myself I'll roll it all during the next hurricane. :sad2:

ocd4disney
06-17-2006, 01:33 PM
The coin counters around here that you find in the grocery stores take 8 % :eek: ....or at least they used to. Dh and I have almost 1000 in change......so we bought our own automatic coin roller.....i think we will be rolling our change for our December trip. :eek:

lisaross
06-17-2006, 01:36 PM
rollers for free???

paladin
06-17-2006, 01:39 PM
My bank takes unrolled coins and just throws it in their counter. No charge for this. Have you asked your bank? (They take rolled coins too, of course)

Plantlady
06-17-2006, 01:39 PM
Check at your bank. My bank lets customers use a change counting machine for free. None customers can use it, and pay a percentage, but I'm not sure what it is. I do have to visit the main branch to do this, rather than the branches at the grocery store.

Your bank might also have a coin machine in the back too, that you can't see, but they would still let you use it. (A past bank I used had this feature)

mom2boys0310
06-17-2006, 01:40 PM
Hi, if you have a Commerce bank near you they have a machine that you can put your change in and get cash for it..you don't have to have an account there oh and it's free! Hope that helps. Barbara

lisaross
06-17-2006, 01:42 PM
what banks have done this??

i belong to Chase, but hey i'd open an account to use this feature. I've heard Commerce is good - anyone use them for free coin counting???

lisa

kinntj
06-17-2006, 01:46 PM
Our credit union has a change machine you can put your change into yourself and it pops out a slip and you take it up to the teller. We have to be members to get this service. If you're not a member, you have to pay a fee (very small though).

I would definately call banks in your area to see if they do it for free or a smaller fee than 8% (OUCH!!)

reesecup
06-17-2006, 01:47 PM
:teeth:

I put my children to work the last time we did this. But I made it worth their time. I told them if they helped me (and they really did end up doing most of it), that a portion would be their spending money for Disney.

It worked so I'll be trying it again! We have change everywhere!!!! I hope it all adds up to a good amount!

Spoodleink
06-17-2006, 01:49 PM
I have used Commerce a bunch of times I used to work there and the Penny Arcade( change counting machines) is free for customers and non customers you just dump in you change and it prints a recipt fot you to take to the teller. Not sure where you are but Chevy Chase bank has them too. I would not reccomend the coinstar machines at the grocery store because they take $.07 ont he dollar so if you have a lot of change that $.07 add up quick. I always count all our change before we take it to commerce and it has never been under when counting our change out.

Tiffany
06-17-2006, 01:57 PM
OK now i have a huge jar of change - what is the best way to cash it in for dollars??

I'd hate to roll it all - what about the coin machines?? do you know the best coin machine place that does not take a big percentage of your money?

how do you guys do it??

i'm assuming i've got about 500+ in change.

thanks

lisa

We actually enjoy rolling our coin. We will just set aside a lazy Sunday and enjoy. Those coin machines take to much of a percentage.

ameraumi
06-17-2006, 02:02 PM
Check with the "main" branch of your bank and see if they have a change machine that they will use for customers. I worked for a large bank and the "main" branch in town housed the change machine. We offered the service free of charge for customers with an 3% for those without. Our credit union also has one so we have been taking it there.

nowellsl
06-17-2006, 02:09 PM
Check with your bank first! My credit union won't take rolled change. They make you take it out of the rolls. They don't charge anything to put it through their change machine if it's under $200.00. If it is over they charge about 3%. I usually take mine in when it gets to be about $100.00 - then I transfer it to my ING account (gotta love that interest).

disneysnowflake
06-17-2006, 02:16 PM
My bank won't allow more than $20 in rolled change per day. It must be rolled. You have to put your account number on it. If you miscount and are missing a coin they'll deduct it from your account. Then you can't bring in change for a certain period of time as a penalty for miscounting.

There is only 1 bank in my town that has a change counter for people to use, but you have to be a bank customer. There aren't any free banking features at this bank. The cheapest bank fee is $7 a month if you keep your checking over $1000 at all times.

I have a cookie jar with ziploc baggies in it. I have one for quarters, 1 for dimes, 1 for nickels and 1 for pennies. Each baggie has a paper in it to keep track of change. If I had 3 dimes I add it. Once it gets to $5 I roll it. Same with the 50 cents for pennies, $2 for nickels and $10 for quarters.

Many, many people use the coinstar machine at our local grocery store. Someone is using the machine almost every time I'm at the grocery store. I've never used it.

southtown
06-17-2006, 02:19 PM
I have noticed on the Coinstar machines in my store that you can put your change on a Amazon gift card or something like that there is no fee. I was thinking of doing this kinda like a Christmas club. I know I would have a few hundred bucks worth of change,and it would take some of the sting of the cost of the Christmas season.

StitchandPooh'sMom
06-17-2006, 03:46 PM
We have a bank in town that will count coins for free, even if you are not a customer. If you don't have that, at least roll the quarters and maybe the dimes, then put the pennies and nickels in the coin counter. You will have rolled a large percentage of your money and the percentage taken from the nickels and pennies won't amount to that much.

momto2inKC
06-17-2006, 03:53 PM
Our bank does not have change counting machines. They will only take change if it is already rolled. They said they can take loose change, but will charge you to do so. The grocery store has a Coin Star machine and it takese 8% of your total to use it.
About once a month we sit down and count/roll the change.

DisneyBill
06-17-2006, 04:01 PM

i belong to Chase, but hey i'd open an account to use this feature. I've heard Commerce is good - anyone use them for free coin counting???

lisa
Lisa,
We bank at Chase also, and they will count your coins for free and deposit them in to your account (at least in Louisville they do) They give us a bag for the coins, and ask that we place two blank deposit slips inside with the coins. They send them once a week to their downtown branch that processes them. Deposit usually hits the account in about five days from the branch's scheduled day for transport.

HTH.

Kimkimba
06-17-2006, 04:14 PM
Hi, if you have a Commerce bank near you they have a machine that you can put your change in and get cash for it..you don't have to have an account there oh and it's free! Hope that helps. Barbara

Commerce is great! They have extended hours, and don't charge anyone to use their coin counting machine; we use it several times a year.

Chris
06-17-2006, 04:41 PM
I take them to my bank. Customers can use the coin counter for free.

RunDanceSkate
06-17-2006, 04:52 PM
Our grocery store has a self serve check-out (Canada) I noticed them at Walmart in the States as well. We have a weekly budget for groceries. Happens to be a $100. Any amount we spend under that gets thrown in the change jar. As we get closer to our trip (2 months out) whenever I head for the store I half fill a ziplock bag full of change and smaller bills. At the self serve cheackout I pay, coins first. I don't even pay any attention to the amount just feed it in. When I run out of coins I feed the smaller bills in, then my $20's from my weekly budget. I can usually pay about 25 to 45 dollars in change. Take my change and put it and the remainder of my grocery money back in the jar. By the time our trip comes I have a jar full of Twenties :) They look so pretty.

It only takes the kids 5 min or so to feed the coins in. It would be much longer if we did the whole jar in one trip. Although when I ran out for milk the other day I did pay all in pennies. I have the kids carry the coins around the store and everytime they look at something, I say Disney money, or do you want it to come out of you coins? We tend to be well under budget for those 2 months. LOL.

juligrl
06-17-2006, 05:33 PM
My daughter and I roll them. I used to work in a bank so it's no big deal to me, and my daughter still thinks it's fun. We have those coin sorters though so it does make counting it all a little easier.

paladin
06-17-2006, 06:05 PM
I am a Chase customer and my branch will take coins (wrapped or unwrapped) and count them and give you the money (or deposit it in your account).

As is obvious from all of the different replies, every bank is different so you would want to check with your bank first and see what they do.

vellamint
06-17-2006, 10:40 PM
My kids love doing this job....we do it right before every Disney vacation. Last time my sister-in-law and brother-in-law just happened to stop by in the middle of this. BIL offered to bring us right up to his credit union and have it done for free and 3 out of 4 of my kids starting yelling "no - we like to do this" !!! ARG!!! It is kinda fun doing this with them but I HATE the feeling on my fingers after a while. Cant wait to do it again in a couple of months though!!

Oh - and one time that we did it we rolled them and put our account numbers on them and were made to take a marker and mark out the account number....they said it had to do with a privacy issue.....I think this was at Citibank. I am soooo glad we did not have to dump them and do them again.

isyt
06-17-2006, 10:55 PM

lisa

Oh Lisa go to Commerce :thumbsup2 !! I just did this about 2 weeks ago. I was a liitle hesitant but we went in with our 3 kids and our change. The coin machine was inside and we started dumping the kids thought this was great :rotfl2: . We had $467.00 in change. We took the slip the coin machine prints and gave it to the cashier. We got the cash plus coloring books and lolipops for the kids. Commerce was great !!! :banana:

Goobergal99
06-18-2006, 12:53 AM
We are commerce customers (which is a great bank) so we just take our change and use the change counter there. Last year we ended up with $1,110 for our vacation. This year I let DD save all the change as her spending money and she is certainly getting up there :cool1: (spoiled lil princess: )

WillCAD
06-18-2006, 01:23 AM
You're all doing it the hard way! :)

I sort my change every night when I take it out of my pocket. Instead of throwing it into a jar, I take an extra 2-3 seconds to seperate it and put it into this:
https://www.mmfind.com/vmart_ws/images/clients/mmf/3992.jpg

It's called the Cointender (https://www.mmfind.com/scripts/cgiip.exe/WService=vm91v40prod/cat_search1.w?sid=0x007db447&clt=mmf&vsrch_str=&vsrch_cat=&vsrch_brand=all&vsrch_range=&st_amount=&end_amount=&from_page=search&category_no=3992&sku=&category_list=3905%3A3916%3A3991%3A3992&vfrom=&vtime=2015&item_no=), from MMF Industries. I got mine at Staples for about $5 or $6.

When one of the tubes gets full, I slip a paper roll into it and take the coins out, thus preventing me from ever having to roll up a big jar of coins.

Microcell
06-18-2006, 09:39 AM
My bank takes unrolled coins and just throws it in their counter. No charge for this. Have you asked your bank? (They take rolled coins too, of course)

Mine too- a large nationwide bank!

ZipaDeeDooDah
06-18-2006, 11:42 AM
You're all doing it the hard way! :)

I sort my change every night when I take it out of my pocket. Instead of throwing it into a jar, I take an extra 2-3 seconds to seperate it and put it into this:
https://www.mmfind.com/vmart_ws/images/clients/mmf/3992.jpg

This is what I was going to suggest too! Using an automatic coin sorter also keeps us from dipping into the coin jar :hippie:

eeyorethegreat
06-18-2006, 12:51 PM
Counting coins is an event in our house. About once a month we haul out the Pooh bank (I've had this since I was a kid). We count the coins and add it to the Disney fund. Good chance for them to work on math skills too and they don't even realize they are getting mini lessons

mamo-4-wdw
06-18-2006, 03:50 PM
We use the coin sorter too! I just love it.So Simple So Sweet! and no cheating

MUFFYCAT
06-18-2006, 04:08 PM
We have Commerce Bank that hs the coin machines..
It's free and you don't have to have an account with the bank.

We save about$600-700 a year for our annual trips :teeth:

*Flower*
06-18-2006, 04:17 PM
We rolled ours up and took it to the Credit Union in April to bay our State Income taxes.

When we got done rolling, we were up to $1589. Our tax bill was less than that.

We use plastic Folger's coffee containers to save our coins in. The pennies go into a index card box with a slot on the top, and the rest goes into a Folger's container.

Congratulations everyone!

Maybelle
06-18-2006, 06:35 PM
I wait for a rainy day, vaccuum all the cat and dog hair off the rug ;) , then pour out all the change and seperate and count. DD helps. She gets a kick out of it. My credit union takes any rolled change you bring in with no problem. I have brought in up to around 300.00 at a time. I buy my coin rollers at the dollar store.

I never thought of calling the bank to see if they have a change machine though...would be worth the call I guess.

Lauren-n-Jeff
06-18-2006, 09:17 PM
Our bank (Wachovia) gives us free coin wrappers...

We have a change sorter and we wrap the coins every time it is full :-)

SAKPEG99OKW
06-18-2006, 10:45 PM
Hello,

Go to COMMERCE BANK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I save change as well, go to one of their branches they have a coin machine and do not charge. No fee, machine will print receipt go to the teller and they will give you what is due you. Fantastic.

renessa
06-19-2006, 07:03 AM
My Chase in Indiana has a coin counting machine. We prefer non-rolled coin. Our machine seperates (even dollar and half dollar coins) and then you can take the cash or deposit. This is available to all customers at no charge.

mickeyfan2
06-19-2006, 07:29 AM
We roll ours. Our bank gives the rollers for free. I believe we now have a branch that has a change counting machine they is free to bank account holders.

lisaross
06-19-2006, 01:00 PM
I went to my new commerce bank and yes they have a coin machine -- for free - you do not need to be a customer!!!

I always know to come to one of these boards for all the right answers.

Lisa

sameyeyam
06-19-2006, 04:51 PM
Why you silly people, don't you know that you have to pick out all of the Quarters & Pennies for the Pressed Coin Machines at Disney? At least that's what DS(7) tells me! Then that only leaves nickels & dimes to have to deal with!

DS takes sandwich bags full of quarters & pennies to Disney each year. It's the cheapest souvenirs we have found to date. He might spend $20 total each year, but it keeps him busy. I cringe when I watch all of the other kids sucked into the gift shops and begging parents to buy expensive souvenirs. DS walks all over the gift shop looking for the pressed penny machines and completely ignores all the expensive gifts! Plus they're are really fun, compact size souvenirs. He takes them for show and tell. We spend about $6 on a pressed penny book (took 2 years to fill). :thumbsup2

ksloane
07-01-2006, 06:56 PM
Our bank also gives free rollers. They've never mentioned the coin counting machine. I wouldn't want it for home, but I am a class sponsor and always end up with lots of change from fundraisers. I'll ask next year I promise!

But back on topic. I get the free coin rollers from our bank. All change in our house goes in my daughter's piggy banks and then into her savings account. When she says one is heavy and wants to empty it, we load it up and take it to my great uncle's and the two of them spend a day together watching movies, drinking cokes and eating ice cream (something she doesn't get to do a lot of), and rolling money. So for us it's a family quality time thing that doesn't involve me!! :) I HATE rolling money. (btw, I knew to do this because I did the same thing with him when I was growing up)