PDA

View Full Version : eBay to Begin Enforcement Against Excessive Shipping & Handling

DMRick
06-17-2006, 10:06 AM
Finally!!

He makes it clear, that is is still ok for those who charge for their shipping and handling. This is not meant to be an argument for those who feel that handling should not be charged. eBay is OK with that. But for those who have clear fee avoidance..your time has finally come!!

The following is an excerpt from an
eBay Live! message from Bill Cobb,
President of eBay North America -
you can read the entire message here:
http://www2.ebay.com/aw/core/200606140907252.html

"Excessive Shipping
As many of you who listen to my monthly audio Town Hall know, I have personally
committed to making sure the problem of some sellers charging excessive shipping
costs gets addressed. You've told us and we agree -- excessive shipping has
become a serious issue that needs a solution. It sets up unfair competition
through fee avoidance and search manipulation, and, most importantly, it is
eroding buyer trust in the eBay marketplace. In fact, we completed research that
found this is the number one reason that buyers leave eBay.
That said, this is an open marketplace, and we've been very reluctant about
telling our sellers what they can charge for shipping and handling. Our sellers
sell everything from pianos to t-shirts.

Over the last few months, the best talent in the company has been looking at
solutions to this issue. We'll continue to look at site changes and other
solutions, but I'm pleased to announce that one major change we are instituting
- starting Monday, June 19th - is new aggressive enforcement against Excessive
Shipping & Handling.

Now, before sellers become unnecessarily concerned, let me make it clear - this
policy is geared for those egregious cases that are clearly taking advantage of
the system and our buyers. You all know the listings that I mean - the .01 BIN
listings with $25.00 shipping & handling for an item that weighs less than a
pound to ship.

We're going to clean up the site and stop this type of listing -- which does a
disservice to the whole Community. We are going to proactively search for the
worst offenders -- those whose business model is predicated on a low Buy It Now
cost offset by outrageous shipping charges. Last night I gave these sellers a
clear message: stop this practice, or you're no longer welcome on eBay.

Now please understand -- if you're charging simply to cover your actual
shipping, packaging and overhead costs, you have no reason to be concerned. If
you'll be charging for custom crating, or other services, just say so in your
listings."

A Mickeyfan
06-17-2006, 10:53 AM
I for one am glad they are doing it. I try to stay away from bidding on anything like that.. I am in the stage of trying to figure out how to calculate shipping so I can start selling some of my teens out grown/do not want anymore clothing. I am so confused. If anyone can give me a "fair" amount hint, I would appreciate it. I am thinking in terms of what I am willing to pay. I know I will go up to $6. for Shirts & $8 for jeans. Is that fair to charge?

Free4Life11
06-17-2006, 11:15 AM
Very good! One of the reasons I stopped buying on eBay was the outrageous shipping.

What I think is fair is to figure out how much it would cost to send something Priority Mail, based on the weight (don't forget about the flat rate boxes), and add on $1-$3 handling/supplies.

DMRick
06-17-2006, 11:21 AM
Once you pack and weigh something..that should give you an idea of what to charge for shipping. On eBay you can just put in how you want to ship, and add your handling (I add .50) and then each person can use a calculator to see what their shipping is.
I for one am glad they are doing it. I try to stay away from bidding on anything like that.. I am in the stage of trying to figure out how to calculate shipping so I can start selling some of my teens out grown/do not want anymore clothing. I am so confused. If anyone can give me a "fair" amount hint, I would appreciate it. I am thinking in terms of what I am willing to pay. I know I will go up to $6. for Shirts & $8 for jeans. Is that fair to charge?

JeffM
06-17-2006, 11:38 AM
I sell mostly Magic cards...every now and then a Baseball card. My shipping is easy. $1.00 for the first card and $0.30 for each after the first, if paid for together. This pays for my Ebay fees, Paypal fees and actual Shipping...like Priority or First class stamps. In this genre that is pretty much the norm. Some do $1.25 some do $.75 each. It all depends.

The way I sell other things that are not cards I do a search for the item and see what others are charging for that item. If most are charging $20.00 for a Laptop then Pretty much it will cost around $20.00 to send a laptop. Atleast that is what I do.

Kramer
06-17-2006, 11:44 AM
I personally like the .01 BIN auctions. I don't have to wait a week for the auction to end to get something I want and I know exactly how much its going to cost me. So if they want to charge me .01 for the item and $7.99 for shipping I really don't care because I can make a decision if the item is worth $8 to me. If its not I move on to another item. If it is then I like the ease of ending the auction with BIN and paying right away, Most of the time the item arrives in a few days. For instance... I needed a new stylus for my PDA... I bought it for .01 and paid 6.99 shipping. I don't care how much it really costs to ship it because I am still getting a bargain. If I were to buy the stylus thru Dell I would have to buy 3 of them and pay $16.99 plus shipping.

For the most part I don't know that its going to cut down on overcharging for shipping that much. Some of the power sellers will just end up not doing so many .01 BIN auctions. You are still going to have mom & pop sellers that will run regular auctions and still try to charge $10 for something that costs $5 to ship. I doubt that ebay will be able to do much to control those people.

ThePhantomsGirl
06-17-2006, 11:47 AM
I am so glad they are doing this!!! I will not bid on items where the seller is obviously inflating the shipping charges. I've learned to always, always really take a look at the shipping charges before I ever bid.

I know the eBay fees can get high as I'm a seller. But it's part of doing business. I sell on eBay and for most of my items I don't charge shipping as I don't ship an actual item. Yet, I see others who sell the same kind of service I do and they add "shipping and handling" just so they can avoid the fees.

I've been waiting for eBay to crack down on this!

ntburns22
06-17-2006, 11:59 AM
I personally like the .01 BIN auctions. I don't have to wait a week for the auction to end to get something I want and I know exactly how much its going to cost me. So if they want to charge me .01 for the item and $7.99 for shipping I really don't care because I can make a decision if the item is worth $8 to me. If its not I move on to another item. If it is then I like the ease of ending the auction with BIN and paying right away, Most of the time the item arrives in a few days. For instance... I needed a new stylus for my PDA... I bought it for .01 and paid 6.99 shipping. I don't care how much it really costs to ship it because I am still getting a bargain. If I were to buy the stylus thru Dell I would have to buy 3 of them and pay $16.99 plus shipping.

I like them too. I just bought 50 glow necklaces for .99 and 19.95 s/h. I still think I got a great deal.

DMRick
06-17-2006, 11:59 AM
I always look at my overall cost when bidding, so the shipping doesn't really matter as a bidder. As a seller, when someone is doing a search, and they see my item for $9.99 and the other person's for $1.99, and they just don't check the shipping (a lot of times the shipping is in the description, so it doesn't show on the search), I see it as a big disadvantage. Especially since my total price is often much less. Should people be checking that? Yes, but often we just assume the other person is honest..and once we bid and are hit with an outragous shipping charge..it's too late. We have a contract with the bid. The thing is we did agree with the eBay rules when we signed up, and one of them was to not take part in fee avoidance, and it's obvious to most of us, that is what this is. When you get something that cost under $1 to ship with no packing material, it's clearly fee avoidance, and the rest of us pay, when eBay says they aren't making enough and raise their prices, once again. So I don't blame eBay for wanting to stop it. I understand the fees to eBay are outrageous (or at least mine are), but we all should have gone in this with our eyes wide open as to what the fees are.

I am so glad they are doing this!!! I will not bid on items where the seller is obviously inflating the shipping charges. I've learned to always, always really take a look at the shipping charges before I ever bid.

tacomaranch
06-17-2006, 12:05 PM
Being both a seller and buyer I am pleased to see a fair price for shipping being enforced. Why should a pin cost me a penny but to ship in over $4.00. It's a pin!

I sell pediasure on ebay but the liquid is heavy and cost a lot to ship. To help the customer, I send it in a flat rate box and only add $1.00 for ebay fees, paypal fees, etc and that doesn't even cover my cost to sell.

I would like to see ebay and paypal drop some of the excessive charges that they apply!

JMO, April at Tacoma Ranch :Pinkbounc

disneysteve
06-17-2006, 12:10 PM
I always look at my overall cost when bidding, so the shipping doesn't really matter as a bidder.
I disagree. On a venue like ebay, trust is very important. I find it hard to trust a seller who is intentionally skirting the rules to avoid fees by selling an item for $.01 and charging $10 shipping, even if the total cost is still reasonable. Given the choice, I'd much rather buy that same item from the seller charging $9 and $1 shipping. Total cost is the same, but I feel one of those sellers is showing better business practices than the other. JMHO - your opinion may differ.

That said, I don't always live by that opinion. I recently bought a gift certificate and paid $3.99 shipping, knowing full well that it would only cost $.39 to mail. But the total cost was still less than everyone else was selling identical items for. I did e-mail the seller and ask if he would lower the shipping and he responded quickly and politely that he would not, but I felt satisfied with his feedback and bid anyway. Had another seller had the same item for same total price and lower shipping, though, I would have bought from them instead.

luv2nascar
06-17-2006, 12:24 PM
Let's face it no one is forcing you to buy from an auction where you think the shipping it to high? Ebay only cares because they are losing money. They don't care about the buyer just their fees. I calls it like I sees it. :furious:

sk!mom
06-17-2006, 12:29 PM
I disagree. On a venue like ebay, trust is very important. I find it hard to trust a seller who is intentionally skirting the rules to avoid fees by selling an item for $.01 and charging $10 shipping, even if the total cost is still reasonable. Given the choice, I'd much rather buy that same item from the seller charging $9 and $1 shipping. Total cost is the same, but I feel one of those sellers is showing better business practices than the other. JMHO - your opinion may differ.

It is a trust issue for me as well. I avoid auctions with excessive shipping charges because it feels dishonest to me.

pansmermaidzlagoon
06-17-2006, 12:37 PM
luv2nascar hit it right in the head!!!!!!! :thumbsup2

(First: I only sold once on Ebay - it was short term thing and a long time ago - I am now just a buyer).....I have always added the shipping to the total and considered it part of the cost...if I want to pay that cost I do ....I have no problem as long as it is stated up front and I can make an informed choice.

Ebay has every right to make sure their fees are paid....I see that as the only motivator here

does anyone else think this is going to be a pain to police?...and they are only going to be able to deal with the worst cases? They aren't going to be able to argue this case by case....with each seller explaining each and every questionable shipping and handling charge????

DMRick
06-17-2006, 12:41 PM
That said, I don't always live by that opinion. I recently bought a gift certificate and paid $3.99 shipping, knowing full well that it would only cost $.39 to mail. But the total cost was still less than everyone else was selling identical items for..

I think that is pretty much what I just said..so I'm not understanding your answer. If I had two people to choose from, I'll pick the person not trying to cheat eBay of their listing fees. However, I still go for what is the less expensive price. If eBay finally puts their foot down on it..the price will be right, and the trust issue will be moot in this instance.

I'm not really sure what you are saying..that I'm wrong, that you wouldn't trust your seller..but for you it's ok..as long as you get the item cheaper? :)

Sorry Steve..you either don't trust them, or you do. If it's all about price..well, then it's all about price...not trust.

DMRick
06-17-2006, 12:45 PM
luv2nascar hit it right in the head!!!!!!! :thumbsup2

(First: I only sold once on Ebay - it was short term thing and a long time ago - I am now just a buyer).....I have always added the shipping to the total and considered it part of the cost...if I want to pay that cost I do ....I have no problem as long as it is stated up front and I can make an informed choice.
As I mentioned..it's really only good for the sellers..puts them on a level playing field..and of course those who don't always check out the shipping. They assume the seller would ship for s/h fees only. And most of all, it's good for eBay. They'll make more money. I can only hope that will mean no raise in fees LOL.
It did get the most applause of anything they announced, so I guess a lot of people will be happy with the changes.

How to enforce it? Not a clue. I guess something in the software..and of course those who are into reporting.

rparmfamily
06-17-2006, 12:49 PM
I'm glad to hear this. I turn in people for fee avoidance when they grossly overcharge on shipping and do a super cheap BIN.

disneysteve
06-17-2006, 12:52 PM
I think that is pretty much what I just said..so I'm not understanding your answer.
I know my post was confusing. I don't I have a clear cut answer. Let me give 2 examples.

Example #1:
Seller A charging $1 for item and $9 shipping: Total cost=$10
Seller B charging $9 for item and $1 shipping: Total cost=$10
I would choose to buy from Seller B as Seller A seems to be less honest in his pricing.

Example #2:
Seller A charging $1 for item and $9 shipping: Total cost=$10
Seller B charging $14 for item and $1 shipping: Total cost=$15
I would choose to buy from Seller A. Even though I think they are being a bit dishonest in their pricing, I'm not willing to pay an extra $5 to deal with the other guy.

Yes, that's kind of a fuzzy moral stance, but I'd be lying if I said I'd pay 50% more just on principal. Does that make better sense now?

CajunDixie
06-17-2006, 12:53 PM
I personally like the .01 BIN auctions. I don't have to wait a week for the auction to end to get something I want and I know exactly how much its going to cost me. So if they want to charge me .01 for the item and $7.99 for shipping I really don't care because I can make a decision if the item is worth $8 to me. If its not I move on to another item. If it is then I like the ease of ending the auction with BIN and paying right away, Most of the time the item arrives in a few days.

The same seller could have listed the BIN as $7 and charged $1 for shipping and you'd still know the total cost. The seller would have not avoided the Ebay Fees and therefore, would be considered (IMO) a more honest seller.

Let's face it no one is forcing you to buy from an auction where you think the shipping it to high? Ebay only cares because they are losing money. They don't care about the buyer just their fees. I calls it like I sees it.

I guess I see a totally different side to it. Ebay should care if they are losing money because sellers are avoiding fees by charging excessive shipping and a mere 1 cent for an item. They are a business with many employees. Those employees are just like everyone else they want to earn a living and receive salary increases. It also hurts sellers who are honest and pay their fees. When people are in a hurry they most likely just look for the lowest price and forget to check and add in shipping charges. This hurts the honest sellers amount of sales. Also fees can increase because of the dishonest sellers avoiding paying their fees.

disneysteve
06-17-2006, 12:56 PM
Ebay should care if they are losing money because sellers are avoiding fees by charging excessive shipping and a mere 1 cent for an item. They are a business with many employees. Those employees are just like everyone else they want to earn a living and receive salary increases. It also hurts sellers who are honest and pay their fees. When people are in a hurry they most likely just look for the lowest price and forget to check and add in shipping charges. This hurts the honest sellers amount of sales. Also fees can increase because of the dishonest sellers avoiding paying their fees.
ITA :thumbsup2

DMRick
06-17-2006, 01:10 PM
Yes, that's kind of a fuzzy moral stance, but I'd be lying if I said I'd pay 50% more just on principal. Does that make better sense now?
Yes, you are saying just what I did. You look at overall cost. So I guess your opinion is pretty much the same as mine LOL. So trust only matters if we aren't out more money. So I guess you really don't disagree as you stated below. I'm sure we would all pick what appears to be the more honest seller. But some (sadly, not me) will not buy from someone they feel is cheating eBay. At least not if I want the item at the cheapest price. That's why it hurts sellers more than buyers.
The confusing part is:

Tinkerjane
06-17-2006, 01:12 PM
plain and simple - the ONLY reason Ebay is doing anything about it is because they aren't making anything off these people and they're ticked. That's the only reason they are taking action, I'm sure there are much bigger reasons people are leaving Ebay. It's simple, if you don't like the idea of the 1 cent listings with high shipping, move on and buy from someone else. There is no shortage of anything on Ebay these days so there are usually lots of others to buy the same item from.
I have sold on Ebay since the beginning and it looks to me like its going down, down, down. I did it so I could stay at home with my boys but I no longer make enough to do that.
Click on someone who posts alot of items on Ebay and then click on their completed. Most people post a lot, sell little, then repost. By the time they resell the items, their fees are bigger than their actual sales.
JMHO :goodvibes

DMRick
06-17-2006, 01:16 PM
Click on someone who posts alot of items on Ebay and then click on their completed. Most people post a lot, sell little, then repost. By the time they resell the items, their fees are bigger than their actual sales.
JMHO :goodvibes
I had over 400 items up this past week. Believe me, if I wasn't making enough money to make me happy..I wouldn't be there :)
But yes, it's not like it used to be, where I could sell just about anything for way more than it's worth (IMO).

Chris
06-17-2006, 05:13 PM
Great! I hate paying 9.00 in S&H and when the item arrives it was really 2.60. <just happened to me!>

LisaNJ25
06-17-2006, 05:36 PM
I like them too. I just bought 50 glow necklaces for .99 and 19.95 s/h. I still think I got a great deal.

and the seller is totally avoiding fees this way.

I wont buy anything from sellers that do this.

I am glad they are finally doing something about it.

lost*in*cyberspace
06-17-2006, 06:04 PM
plain and simple - the ONLY reason Ebay is doing anything about it is because they aren't making anything off these people and they're ticked.

You are exactly right. The only reason eBay is taking action is when a seller uses a low BIN and has high shipping (to make a profit), eBay loses money on final value fees. It all boils down to $$$.

This "crackdown" will have no effect at all on the majority of shipping cost gougers, the sellers who charge outrageous shipping costs for lightweight items (such as those who charge $10.00 to ship a dvd within the US and send via media mail).

Lots of sellers lose my business because I know how much postage costs really are and refuse to get ripped off.

drakethib
06-17-2006, 06:56 PM
It is about time.

Kramer
06-17-2006, 07:24 PM
I disagree. On a venue like ebay, trust is very important. I find it hard to trust a seller who is intentionally skirting the rules to avoid fees by selling an item for $.01 and charging $10 shipping, even if the total cost is still reasonable.

Isn't that what the feedback score is for? Trust? If a seller has a near 100% feedback rating for thousands of sales I think that is a pretty good indication that they are a reputable seller.

I don't know about you, but I'm not basing my trust on what someone charges for shipping - I'm looking at their feedback scores and what people had to say about them - both good and bad.

Kramer
06-17-2006, 07:34 PM
You are exactly right. The only reason eBay is taking action is when a seller uses a low BIN and has high shipping (to make a profit), eBay loses money on final value fees. It all boils down to $$$.

Exactly :thumbsup2

Disneyrsh
06-17-2006, 07:37 PM
About bloody time!

My auctions were always "I charge you what the post office charges me for actual measured weights." That's always in my auctions.

I seethe when I see 10 Berenstain Bears softcover books up for sale and the MEDIA SHIPPING for USPS is like, 10 dollars. It should be about TWO!

Yay for Ebay; there's hope....

disneysteve
06-17-2006, 09:39 PM
The only reason eBay is taking action is when a seller uses a low BIN and has high shipping (to make a profit), eBay loses money on final value fees. It all boils down to $$$.
That's exactly right, but you say it like it's a bad thing. eBay is a business. They have expenses, employees, benefits, humongous servers and equipment to maintain, etc. If people are cheating the system to avoid paying their fair share, eBay should definitely care and do what they can to correct that problem.

jessica52877
06-17-2006, 10:28 PM
I think this is more for ebay then anyone else. As a buyer you can make the decision as to what the final price is you are willing to pay but everyone charging $20 shipping and $.99 is avoiding HUGE ebay fees which ticks me off as a seller. I pay my fees honestly and am happy to have a marketplace like ebay to sell on.

Wish I lived in Fl
06-17-2006, 11:30 PM
The fee avoidance was getting rediculous. Custom made bridal dresses that started bidding at $25 but shipping was 199 or so.

cxcelica
06-18-2006, 07:33 AM
Ebay's main focus in doing this is obviously they are getting beat out of fees, no two ways about it. Granted a new user may get fooled and think he just bought a lot of Dvd's for one cent and then when the invoice comes sees he really paid 35.00 from them, but most ebayer's can pick up on these listings.

Anyway the real purpose of my post is to complain about ebay's fees lately. Recently I listed a few small items on ebay. I knew they were not going to bring in a ton of money but I thought what the heck. I sold one of the items for approx. 3 dollars. After Ebay took their fees almost $1 (between insertion etc.) and Paypal took their fees I was left with around $1.50. I am one of those people who post actual shipping so I usually wont make money off of that. Anyway so after the fees, the shipping and packing, the trip to the post office, the hoping that the person actually got the item, is it really worth $1.50. I would have to say no

Anyway what I learned is that it is not worth posting small items on ebay anymore.

formernyer
06-18-2006, 09:16 AM
(1) eBay is making changes because they are losing out on FV fees. eBay does not care about whether or not the customers are happy. Customer satisfaction would only become an issue if they started to actually lose a considerable amount of business due to excessive s/h fees. This level of business loss will never be reached.

(2) eBay will only be hitting up on the true fee-avoiders here...the ones who charge a penny plus crazy s/h fees. They already cancel these listings and have for years, but they only do it if the listing is referred to them by another customer.

(3) I don't give a hoot if a seller is trying to avoid fees or not...when I am a buyer I go for the lowest price overall and rely on feedback. Feedback tells me if I can trust the seller. I don't care about the seller's relationship with eBay. Given the choice between two sellers where one charges $.01 plus $24.99 s/h and the other charges $25 with free shipping, I'm going to opt for the seller who has the highest feedback score. If both feedback scores are equal, I'm going to opt for the seller who has the most "lightning fast shipping" comments in his/her feedback.

(4) I'm a powerseller and I ebay for a living. I overcharge on s/h. I make my s/h fees as high as a can possibly get away with and still be in line with other sellers and not draw attention to my account by eBay. I sell most of my items via BIN and they sell out just fine. When I use auctions, I've never had any trouble getting bids. Sellers who offer free shipping, actual shipping, or modest $.50/$1.00 s/h fees are only hurting themselves. They would be sacrificing no business and they'd still get good feedback if they raised their s/h fees. Perhaps they are rich and don't need the money. Maybe they just put themselves on pedestals and think they are better people for giving away their money? Great for them...I don't concern myself with their businesses. For me, however, this is a real business and my goal is to maximize profits while staying within the confines of eBay rules.

DMRick
06-18-2006, 09:51 AM
Maybe they just put themselves on pedestals and think they are better people for giving away their money? Great for them...I don't concern myself with their businesses. For me, however, this is a real business and my goal is to maximize profits while staying within the confines of eBay rules.

I don't even know what to say about this. You really have no idea how many more and higher bids (as well as repeat business) you may have gotten (yep, I guess I'm one of those who puts myself up on that pedestal, by not gouging my clients..I want them to feel good about their purchases from us, and come back over and over). You may have made the same amount of money, and yet left a good taste in yoru clients mouths, if you had not charged them th emost shipping you can get away with.

I didn't get the impression that the only people eBay would go after, would be the .01 bin people. I hope they go after everyone who gouges people. And Ihave no doubt they are going after them for the fees they are losing. After all, this is a real business for eBay and their goal is to maximize profits..and they'll do that by getting people to really stay within the confines of ebay rules.

Did I mention I'm also a powerseller? I may not make the $144 - 250 an hour you have mentioned you do..but we are proud to be where we are, with the income eBay gives us, and still follow great business practices. No one can ever say we tried to squeezed them.

We all have different business practices, and you are happy with yours, and I am happy with mine.

formernyer
06-18-2006, 10:16 AM
I don't even know what to say about this. You really have no idea how many more and higher bids (as well as repeat business) you may have gotten (yep, I guess I'm one of those who puts myself up on that pedestal, by not gouging my clients..I want them to feel good about their purchases from us, and come back over and over). You may have made the same amount of money, and yet left a good taste in yoru clients mouths, if you had not charged them th emost shipping you can get away with.

Like I said, most of my items are sold with BIN and I've never had a problem selling out. My ending bid prices on auction items are right in line with other sellers of similar items. Obviously my customers feel good about their purchases because my feedback is excellent. Repeat customers? I probably have you beat on that one too...a whopping 22.17% of my positive feedbacks don't even count towards my rating because they came from repeat customers.

I didn't get the impression that the only people eBay would go after, would be the .01 bin people. I hope they go after everyone who gouges people.

I guess I kind of figured you actually read the article you posted since you were the OP. I'll quote from it for you...

Now, before sellers become unnecessarily concerned, let me make it clear - this policy is geared for those egregious cases that are clearly taking advantage of the system and our buyers. You all know the listings that I mean - the .01 BIN listings with $25.00 shipping & handling for an item that weighs less than a pound to ship.

mamalle
06-18-2006, 11:46 AM
good for them. Im so sick and tired of those excessive shipping/handling fees. :thumbsup2

DisneyClay
06-18-2006, 11:46 AM
e bay sellers are real bad about this they sell a item for a dollar then charge 25 dollar shipping. Glad it will finally be fixed.

cxcelica
06-18-2006, 11:53 AM
[QUOTE=formernyer(4) I'm a powerseller and I ebay for a living. I overcharge on s/h. I make my s/h fees as high as a can possibly get away with and still be in line with other sellers and not draw attention to my account by eBay. I sell most of my items via BIN and they sell out just fine. When I use auctions, I've never had any trouble getting bids. Sellers who offer free shipping, actual shipping, or modest $.50/$1.00 s/h fees are only hurting themselves. They would be sacrificing no business and they'd still get good feedback if they raised their s/h fees. Perhaps they are rich and don't need the money. Maybe they just put themselves on pedestals and think they are better people for giving away their money? Great for them...I don't concern myself with their businesses. For me, however, this is a real business and my goal is to maximize profits while staying within the confines of eBay rules.[/QUOTE]

You are so angry...LOL. Hall of Fame Post

DMRick
06-18-2006, 12:33 PM
I did read it, however I didn't take this to mean the only people they were going after were just the below mentioned "example". I hope they go after everyone who tries to avoid fees. Especially those who seem very proud of the gouging..I know there are many on the eBay boards who boast about this. I want eBay to get their fees, so that maybe they won't raise mine next time.

I guess I kind of figured you actually read the article you posted since you were the OP. I'll quote from it for you...
Now, before sellers become unnecessarily concerned, let me make it clear - this policy is geared for those egregious cases that are clearly taking advantage of the system and our buyers. You all know the listings that I mean - the .01 BIN listings with $25.00 shipping & handling for an item that weighs less than a pound to ship.

By the way, this was also in that article (it's good to include everything they said about who they were going after). There are people who don't start at a penny bin, who I assume are included in the below.

We’re going to clean up the site and stop this type of listing -- which does a disservice to the whole Community. We are going to proactively search for the worst offenders -- those whose business model is predicated on a low Buy It Now cost offset by outrageous shipping charges. Last night I gave these sellers a clear message: stop this practice, or you’re no longer welcome on eBay.

I stand by what I said, and who knows, you may have been able to be selling your items for much more if the shipping was reasonable. As you said (and this would be a turn off for a lot of people) I overcharge on s/h. I make my s/h fees as high as a can possibly get away with and still be in line with other sellers and not draw attention to my account by eBay You said you do hear from some of your buyers in a past post..so I imagine if they take the time to write to you, they may also to eBay..and maybe eBay will be taking an interest and your account may draw attention. This is just based on what you said about your overcharging. I have no idea if it's enough that it would now draw their attention, but you have posted a few times that you do overcharge, so you seem to be sensitive about it.
But again, we are independent sellers, and we all have our comfort levels. You have yours, and while I wouldn't be comfortable living within it, unless eBay decides they aren't, you are allowed to live within it.

Microcell
06-18-2006, 01:12 PM
I have to say I agree with DMRICK!
I happen to AVOID those excessive shippers because as a seller, I know darned good and well t does not cost 17 dollars (I saw this one this morning) to ship ONE outfit, a kids outfit at that. I charge enough to cover my costs and some for time spent, not free money.

I bet there are more and more people like me. I think EBAY has gotten enough numbers to prove that people are dissatisfied with it so they are losing business not only with the deceptive practices, but also the numbers of people leaving EBAY.

Disneyrsh
06-18-2006, 01:51 PM
Sellers who offer free shipping, actual shipping, or modest $.50/$1.00 s/h fees are only hurting themselves. They would be sacrificing no business and they'd still get good feedback if they raised their s/h fees. Perhaps they are rich and don't need the money. Maybe they just put themselves on pedestals and think they are better people for giving away their money? Great for them...I don't concern myself with their businesses. For me, however, this is a real business and my goal is to maximize profits while staying within the confines of eBay rules.

Geez, that's nice. I don't charge extra on my shipping because when I buy stuff, I don't like feeling like I've been scr*wed. Conversely, I don't like to scr*w my buyer.

The best businesses aren't all about the money; they're also about customer service. Might want to take a refresher course on that, you sound like you need it. :rolleyes1

tinatark
06-18-2006, 02:25 PM
I stay away from sellers who charge extra shipping for their ebay items - "for their time, etc" - so if you sold the same item at a garage sale would you charge extra because you had to get up early, have change, be available all day? Well, no, and you probably would have sold it for less to someone who would turn around and sell it on ebay for more!

When I sell, I charge my estimated shipping, rounded to the next dollar - sometimes I end up paying a little more, sometimes less. It ends up being a wash. This is fair to the buyer, fair to ebay and fair to me. Nothing worse than paying $6.00 for someone to put your item in a $4.00 flat rate mailer and drop it off with a carrier. Well, okay paying someone $25 to mail something in the same mailer is worse. Overcharging shipping is one of my ebay peeves!

Sellers who cheat ebay out of fees also cheat the HONEST sellers - because some save a few cents in fees on your auctions, all the rates will go up. Ebay has projected earnings they rely on - when those fall short because of dishonest sellers, everyone pays.

Sellers who make a living on ebay - do you think it's okay to cheat ebay out of fees they disclosed to you when you listed your items? If you do, when else is it okay to cheat/lie/steal? Scary!

Cheshire Figment
06-18-2006, 03:54 PM
I will normally figure actual cost and then round up to the next higher dollar. If something is heavy and/or needs a large box I will take into consideration also the cost of shipping supplies. For example, a 12x12x18 box costs me over $2.00 to buy since I don't buy them in large quantities. Sometimes I may round up by two dollars, but that is somewhat unusual.

For example I have something up right now at $9.99 (but hopefully will go higher). It will fit in a #10 envelope, but I will be sending it Certified Mail, so my actual postage will be $2.79 and I have listed $3.00 for shipping.