PDA

View Full Version : What is proper E-Bay etiquette?

CrzyforPiglet
06-16-2006, 06:37 AM
I wasn't sure where else to ask this so hopefully someone has some thoughts. I purchased a purse on e-bay last week. The auction ended Monday night after I went to bed and I paid for the item Tuesday morning. The seller lives in Utah and I live in Michigan. Well it is now Friday and I still haven't received the purse. I e-mailed the seller yesterday (Thursday) to find out when it was sent and by what method. She wrote me back and said she mailed it Tuesday (one week after I paid for it) and gave me the confirmation number. I checked on it through USPS and it was received at 5p on Tuesday and is on route.

Now I don't shop e-bay that often and maybe I've had better than average interactions with other sellers but I'm feeling pretty neutral about this transaction. I don't think the delayed shipping bothers me as much as the fact I had to write her to find out what was going on rather than her sending me an e-mail to say the item had shipped. She has received great feedback and has almost 100% positive on thousands of transactions and I don't want to make an issue out of nothing. It seems as if that I were to leave neutral feedback that it is counted as negative, is that true? Maybe I should just leave positive feedback (after I get the purse) and put in a comment about the slow shipping?

I'd appreciate any thoughts from the more experienced e-bay crowd!

Laurie

Cheshire Figment
06-16-2006, 07:12 AM
As you say she has thousands of transactions. Unless she is using an automated shipping program tied to eBay and/or PayPal normally a person does not mail out when shipped.

As far as the delay in mailing, again ity depends a lot on the person. Sometimes I might get a payment but due to work or other reasons cannot get the package out immediately. Also, for some people getting to the Post Office (especially on a daily basis) might not be doable.

I really would not make any fuss about it.

disneysteve
06-16-2006, 07:15 AM
I think you are being overly critical. Taking one week to ship an item certainly doesn't warrant bad feedback in my opinion. You need to remember that lots of ebay sellers are just regular people with full time jobs and families who sell on ebay as a side thing. Also, some ebay sellers live in rural areas and, particularly with rising gas prices, may only ship once a week because it means a drive into town to the nearest post office.

As for the e-mail issue, when I was ebaying heavily (100 active auctions at all times), if I had to e-mail every buyer to let them know I had shipped their item, I wouldn't have had time to eat or sleep. It just isn't feasible for a busy seller.

There are lots of reasons that could explain taking several days to a week to ship a purchase. As long as the item arrives in good conditon as advertised, I would leave a positive comment and not even mention the shipping time.

Maybelle
06-16-2006, 07:21 AM
I make many purchases on e-bay, and have had a couple of difficulties in the past. However, it is not uncommon to receive an item even 3 weeks after purchase, depending on exactly how soon after payment it was shipped. I would consider the fact that you e-mailed and got a response a plus. My advice is to continue to track the item until you get it, inspect it, then leave positive feedback if the item is satisfactory. I have only left negative feedback once, and I was totally stiffed on my item. You have to expect, IMHO a minimum of 2-3 weeks for shipment when purchasing from e-bay.

Littlemotherhaywood
06-16-2006, 07:33 AM
Honestly, I would look at what the auction actually said. If she claims she ships within a certain amount of time and didn't, then perhaps there is something more to say. I have three business days handling time listed in my auctions and do my best to ship within that time frame. I am not a big ebayer myself, but I always look at the handling time people list in auctions. Most people seem to. It took a week and a half for an item to get to CA from one of my auctions via parcel post and I the woman emailed me about it. We both conceded that parcel post was a bad choice for that shipment, lol. I had an item I ordered take almost a month to get to me. It took the guy over a week to ship it and then he shipped it the cheapest method possible and also the longest. He had over 20,000 in feedback so I knew I'd get my item, but I didn't think the delay was necessary, especially since I paid three times what he did for shipping. Now that's something I wasn't happy about.

lbgraves
06-16-2006, 07:49 AM
If you use paypal, they require the seller to ship the item within a certain timeframe. I believe that it is 1 week. I also get very annoyed when I pay for an auction right after it ends & it isn't shipped out within a couple days. IMO that is not being unreasonable.

DMRick
06-16-2006, 07:51 AM
If you paid by Paypal, Paypal gives us 7 days (and I've been told those are business days) to ship in their rules.

CrzyforPiglet
06-16-2006, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I hadn't thought that maybe she had so many auctions going that she wouldn't have time to e-mail me or that like DisneySteve said maybe she lives in a rural area and doesn't have time to get to the post office more than once a week. I guess I really have been lucky in my other transactions that I've received them in less than a week but waiting a little longer than that doesn't sound unreasonable. I'm going to take everyone's advice and as long as the item is as she described it in the auction I'll leave positive feedback. Thanks again for all the responses!

Laurie

brivers222
06-16-2006, 09:34 AM
We charge slightly more for our shipping because we do take the time out of our day to ship the products out the very next business day after payment is received in full (except Checks as we wait for them to clear).

Some people question our higher than average S&H but those who go for the less it better route are often still waiting for their items long after our buyers receive there's.

As far as time to ship, that is strictly up to the individual, it can be anywhere from 1-14 days if they like or longer really.

We us Paypal to send an automated message when their shipping label was printed and we always try to keep our customers up to date with everything along the way. Once again though that is defintely personal preference only... We understand the wanting to know what is going on an we strive as an eBay seller to keep our customers in the "loop"

And also, some people state right in their listing that they ONLY ship out on a certain day of the week.

For us we have this stipulation on our discounted Cedar Point Tickets as I have to make a special trip to pick them up once they are bought and paid.

tinatark
06-16-2006, 09:39 AM
I always look at the mailing time - I did have an item recently that was shipped (to me) 9 days after I paid for it. I thought it was unreasonable.

So, do no sellers know that you can weigh and put postage on your items and the mailman will pick up your mail? That was her excuse, that she lived in a rural area and couldn't get to a post office. I did suggest she take advantage of the Post Office's free mailing supplies and leave her stuff for the carrier to pick up. I'm sorry, the "rural area" excuse doesn't cut it for me - I grew up in a rural area - and the carriers out there will bend over backwards to help their route! In my case, if the lady went to the post office 1x a week, she still should have sent my item sooner! To preserve my 100% positive feedback from retalitory feedback from her, I didn't leave any at all.

disneysteve
06-16-2006, 10:02 AM
So, do no sellers know that you can weigh and put postage on your items and the mailman will pick up your mail?
I'm sure there are thousands of ebay sellers who are not aware of this.

Also, keep in mind that doing this requires having a good postal scale. When I started selling regularly, I invested in one, but casual sellers may not want to spend the money, which I can certainly understand. Before I had mine, shipping a package meant going to the post office to get it weighed, then going back home and e-mailing the buyer with the total due. Once payment was received, I had to go back to the post office to ship the item. Now, I just weigh it at home and ship it from my office. If I didn't use Paypal, though, I'm not sure how that would work.

ceecee
06-16-2006, 10:02 AM
I have sent items to certain states and it always seems to take longer (TX is one) from OH. Even going priority which says 4 days. Unless it clearly states in the auction that she ships immediately upon payment or within a certain time (some only ship twice weekly) you should allow them the 7 days plus parcel post time unless you paid for priority.
I bought sandals on Ebay and paid $9.00 priority and they were sent MEDIA mail and I actually owed $4.00 to the P.O. (the PO opened the box). The seller acted nasty about it when I emailed her. I paid the $9.00 for postage and she complains!!! It cost her like $4.00 media mail. I wonder if she does this and hopes to never get caught.

dodukes
06-16-2006, 10:19 AM
I have sent items to certain states and it always seems to take longer (TX is one) from OH. Even going priority which says 4 days. Unless it clearly states in the auction that she ships immediately upon payment or within a certain time (some only ship twice weekly) you should allow them the 7 days plus parcel post time unless you paid for priority.
I bought sandals on Ebay and paid $9.00 priority and they were sent MEDIA mail and I actually owed $4.00 to the P.O. (the PO opened the box). The seller acted nasty about it when I emailed her. I paid the $9.00 for postage and she complains!!! It cost her like $4.00 media mail. I wonder if she does this and hopes to never get caught.

I hope you went after your money for refund because I think this would be good enough for paypal to give you money. That was unnaceptable.

I finally invested in the stamps.com program, its great cuz my scale works with the computer give me right postage. I always ship priority (well almost always) becuase i know that as a buyer i like to get my stuff right away. I usually ship the next day after payment is received, so people get their stuff quick and my feedback usually shows it. If people dont want to spend the money on priority I had someone ask once if i could do parcel post which i said no problem too. Im pretty easy to deal with. In any case I dont see any excuse, unless its stated in the listing, for taking 7 days to ship something, but i am glad to know this just in case.

As far as going to post to weigh and then come back and email and then mail. When i first started i just saw what other people where charging and based it on that, i may have got screwed once or twice but not by much. Now im pretty accurate but I still charge a bit more for packagin and for my time. I still take my stuff to post office, do not like leaving it to be picked up from my mailbox cuz I dont want it stolen. I make my prices clear if someone doesnt want to pay that much they can just not bid. But i like the priority mail system for this reason. People like to get their stuff quick.

disneysteve
06-16-2006, 10:50 AM
In any case I dont see any excuse, unless its stated in the listing, for taking 7 days to ship something,

But i like the priority mail system for this reason. People like to get their stuff quick.
I can think of lots of reasons for taking 7 days to ship a purchase. Sick kid, sick seller, busy at work, car trouble, bad weather, etc. Most ebay sellers are not in business full-time. It is a hobby for most of us. Heck, when you mail order some things they state "allow 4-6 weeks" for shipping and people are just fine with that but expect overnite service from some stay-at-home-mom. I think that is unreasonable.

As for Priority Mail, that isn't foolproof either. I have had packages I shipped Priority take as long as 2 weeks to reach their destination.

shades
06-16-2006, 11:05 AM
As an occassional Ebay shopper - I give sellers as much time to get my items to me as I'd give any well known online stores (Target, Walmart, Old Navy, etc). Some of these places can take a week or longer for their "processing" time and Ebay sellers - especially those who run real businesses through Ebay - are no different. If I haven't received my item - or, if the seller hasn't sent (whether automated by Paypal) any method to track my item within 3 full weeks, I'll contact them to follow-up. Some sellers are great and get my items shipped out the next day after payment and if the auction states as much, then I expect that to occur - or, at the very least an email (within a couple of days) telling me my shippment is delayed. It also depends on the seller's feedback - although - I did get burned by somebody before with lots of 100% positive feedback. Apparently, she did a 'going out of business' sale - sold all of her stuff, collected the money, and then didn't ship anything. I never did get my money back from paypal on that one because she kept her account empty.

DisneyGirl4188
06-16-2006, 11:06 AM
So, do no sellers know that you can weigh and put postage on your items and the mailman will pick up your mail? That was her excuse, that she lived in a rural area and couldn't get to a post office. I did suggest she take advantage of the Post Office's free mailing supplies and leave her stuff for the carrier to pick up. I'm sorry, the "rural area" excuse doesn't cut it for me - I grew up in a rural area - and the carriers out there will bend over backwards to help their route! In my case, if the lady went to the post office 1x a week, she still should have sent my item sooner! To preserve my 100% positive feedback from retalitory feedback from her, I didn't leave any at all.

My post office will NOT do this. I live down a one lane gravel road and they said they will not drive down the road. My mailbox is at the beginning of the road on a busy road, so I can't just leave packages there either. So, I do have to drive to the post office to mail packages.

I do agree that 9 days it excessive and in the case I wouldn't have left feedback either.

mlwear
06-16-2006, 11:20 AM
I very rarely sell on ebay, but it seems that sellers are very demanding of their buyers to pay immediately. So, why shouldn't they extend some of that courtesy in return? BTW, I am a buyer that pays usually within hours of auction's end. I know, I am not doing mass auctioning and I am not suggesting they should ship within hours. But, I too am annoyed when an item isn't shipped for a week and then is sent parcel post (add to it that the seller tripled the postage cost on me. I expect some packaging and handling costs, but to put something in a postage envelope that cost less than $.25 and charge an extra $3 or $4 is out of line, but that is the nature of the beast.)
When I have sold, again seldom, I have greatly inconvenienced myself to get to the post office or UPS the next day. In fact, a few years ago I had an auction going when a hurricane hit, which is not common here. DH had some sort of wireless card for his laptop (I can't explain it sort of works like a cell phone I guess) and with a week signal I was able to get online and notify the winner of what happened. I was so concerned about that auction even with all the downed trees in my yard.
My pet peeve is that sellers don't leave feedback until after the buyer does. I think their feedback should reflect if they were paid in a timely fashion. Maybe they are waiting to be sure the buyer doesn't say they didn't get it or whatever, but even then very few will give feedback until the buyer does. :furious:
I have only left negative feedback once. I was completely ripped off. Never received my merchandise, went through all the ebay procedures, turned out the seller skipped out on his partner, supposedly...For your situation, I probably wouldn't give the seller any feedback. He/she doesn't deserve positive by your standards (or mine either). If you leave neutral or even a remark in your positive comment, you may get a ding in your feedback record, which you don't deserve. Some sellers are like that. That is what you get with ebay. Some are incredibly awesome, others are satisfactory and others just don't put forth a lot of effort. Kind of like life. JMHO

disneysteve
06-16-2006, 11:35 AM
sellers are very demanding of their buyers to pay immediately. So, why shouldn't they extend some of that courtesy in return?
I don't think it's fair to compare the payment process with the shipping process. Shipping can be a fair amount of work. Paying is just a few clicks of the mouse.
sent parcel post (add to it that the seller tripled the postage cost on me. I expect some packaging and handling costs, but to put something in a postage envelope that cost less than $.25 and charge an extra $3 or $4 is out of line
I agree 100%. This is fee avoidance and I really wish there was someway for ebay to crack down on this. Far too many sellers keep their item prices artificially low by jacking up their shipping charges since no ebay fees are paid on the shipping charges.

HayGan
06-16-2006, 12:20 PM
I just purchased 4 Disney pins from a seller on 6/3. I paid via paypal immediately. Their shipping charges were $4.95 for the first item and $2.50 for each additional item (annoying but I factored it into the total costs of the items.) So I paid over $12 for shipping. I received notification that a label (fiirst clas none the less) had been created on 6/12 but the P.O. still has not recieved it. I sent the seller an e-mail asking what the reason for the delay was and their only response was check with the post office. I sent another e-mail asking to please explain the delay since they had many other items purchased after mine and those have already been received. Now they aren't repsonding.

I am a seller and I would never wait 9 days after a paypal payment to ship an item. That is ridiculous (especially since they aren't even making an attempt to give a reason.) I didn't know about the paypal rule so I am strongly considering filing a claim right now since I still haven't receivd them!

BTW, this seller has plenty of positive feedback but they also have their share of neutral/negative! I buy alot of pins and I will NEVER buy from them again!!!

dodukes
06-16-2006, 12:22 PM
[QUOTE=disneysteve]I don't think it's fair to compare the payment process with the shipping process. Shipping can be a fair amount of work. Paying is just a few clicks of the mouse.QUOTE]

I disagree, obvisouly there are some instances liek hurricanes where you cant do anything about it(and ye i have had those), in that case communiation shoudl be sent if possible. I believe that when you list an auction you have a responsibility to make sure you can get an item out when the auction ends. I only list when i know that i wil not be too overwhelmed to worry about packing and shipping my item.

Also I know that priority mail is not fool proof but its better than taking a week to get there to save a couple of bucks.
I would just leave a neutral if you wish but i dotn think it deserves a negative just for longer shipping. It wasnt excessive like 3 weeks or anything, just a week. Neutral doesnt count towards negatiove by the way. On a side note i lik eto get my things fast but i have never left a negative for slow shipping. If it gets there ok and theres communication, that is a good thing

HayGan
06-16-2006, 12:24 PM
BTW, I will be leaving APPROPRIATE feedback for this transaction when it is over. I refuse to be held hostage by my 100% feedback any longer. ALot of sellers would have many more negs if people weren't afraid of retaliation!

DMRick
06-16-2006, 12:29 PM
My pet peeve is that sellers don't leave feedback until after the buyer does. I think their feedback should reflect if they were paid in a timely fashion. Maybe they are waiting to be sure the buyer doesn't say they didn't get it or whatever, but even then very few will give feedback until the buyer does.
I guess I'm one of your pet peeves..I'm sorry. I pay and vrane.com leaves my feedback for me, and they only leave it in return to positives. It saves me time I better spend getting my items shipped within two business days (or less!). If it was up to me, and buyers didn't mind, I wouldn't bother with any feedback. I think it's useless, the way eBay has it set up..but I pay for it to be posted, for the buyers. My buyers haven't complained that I don't leave it in advance, and a large percent leave it (and it's always good feedback, touching on the item, the packing and quick shipping).
But, I can change what vrane leaves. So instead of saying, good ebayer, good communication, etc, would you rather the feedback always addressed if the buyer was a fast payer? I'm curious as to why you want to see that in the buyer's feedback.
I personally don't get worried until I don't get something I have ordered at the 10 day mark. I figure Paypal's 7 and 3 days to arrive.

brivers222
06-16-2006, 12:39 PM
I always look at the mailing time - I did have an item recently that was shipped (to me) 9 days after I paid for it. I thought it was unreasonable.

That would also require someone being at home when Mr. Postman/woman decided to grace us with their presence. My DW an I do our Ebay business as a part-time 2nd job so during the day we are not at home and unable to just have an at-home pickup scheduled... We had to do this with DHL and that was a headache having someone have to stay home.

As stated above, from michigan it takes first class mail anywhere from 5-14 (after given to the post office) to arrive to various cities in Texas.

And as also stated above, payment is MUCH easier than the actual packaging up your item and getting it to the post office. You have to remember tha most sellers, Myself included, WILL NOT do anything geared towards shipping the item until payment in full is made. Early on in my eBaying I was hit with Non-paying bidders, who to be nice, I would get their item all packaged up and ready for the postage... only to have to file a non-paying bidder dispute, unpackage my item and relist it.

I really don't think 9 days is too long of a time to wait for a package, honestly... I mean I just ordered from Best Buy, and it took about 13 days to receive the item. Bare in mind Days are only Monday - Friday (saturday and sundays and holidays DO NOT COUNT) in the calculations for shipping time.

disneysteve
06-16-2006, 12:40 PM
If it was up to me, and buyers didn't mind, I wouldn't bother with any feedback. I think it's useless, the way eBay has it set up.
I don't think it is completely useless but I agree that most people (buyers and sellers) are afraid of leaving well-deserved negs because they don't want to get the same in return (undeserved). But that said, I'd still rather deal with someone with 500 positives than 5.

HayGan
06-16-2006, 01:03 PM
That would also require someone being at home when Mr. Postman/woman decided to grace us with their presence. My DW an I do our Ebay business as a part-time 2nd job so during the day we are not at home and unable to just have an at-home pickup scheduled... We had to do this with DHL and that was a headache having someone have to stay home.

You don't have to be home. We leave our packages on our front porch and the mailman picks them up from there. When you schedule the pick-up you can let them know where the items will be located. No one is required to be there. Of course this wouldn't work if you live in an area where you don't feel safe leaving packages out.

disneysteve
06-16-2006, 01:28 PM
You don't have to be home. We leave our packages on our front porch and the mailman picks them up from there. When you schedule the pick-up you can let them know where the items will be located. No one is required to be there. Of course this wouldn't work if you live in an area where you don't feel safe leaving packages out.
No way I would leave packages sitting outside unattended. Too much temptation there. I'd also be concerned about squirrels, chipmunks, insects, etc. getting into the boxes.

What I do is take the packages to work with me and the mailman takes them from there.

DMRick
06-16-2006, 02:15 PM
Let's see if I can post this in the right place this time LOL.

I didn't realize until recently, that the mailman actually gets paid in "time" for picking up your packages. I asked at the post office, why on earth he kept begging me to let him pick them up LOL. Ours would be happy to go up a gravel road for them..of course he'd like you to have several, so he could get lots of "time"!
We have to check our PO Box often, anyway, otherwise, I'd be happy to have him pick them up..if I was going to be home. I wouldn't leave them on our porch.

Laurajean1014
06-16-2006, 02:27 PM
Some states take a lot longer than others. Especially, Texas. Don't know why.

When I pay for items, I always write in the message: Please ship immediately.

I do this to let the seller know that I paid immediately and would like similar service. It sometimes works and sometimes not. Many times the sellers write me on why they cannot or how they just sent it out.

mamalle
06-16-2006, 03:54 PM
I guess it all depends. I just bought something from a seller and she said that she wouldnt be back until after June 3rd but she still put in her description that if you win you better pay via paypal within the 3 days after the auction ended or else she would leave negative feedback since she would be checking her auctions. Of course the auction ended on the 29th and it took 11 days for it to arrive. That kinda upset me since it was okay for her to wait and send it after she returned from vacation but I better pay asap. ( which I always do after the auction ends anyhow) Of course now I get it and there is a stain on a so called brand new shirt. No response a week later from her either. Guess you live and learn. :confused3 I too use the online postal service- I schedule the pickups and leave all my boxes by the front door. my mailman leaves me the receipt of pick up for each one. I have never had a problem and much easier than going to the PO. So if I have a auction that ends and the buyer pays asap- I make sure the item goes out the very next day via priority mail. IMO- its good business to show the same respect.

Nicolepa
06-16-2006, 04:50 PM
I

This service is not available everywhere. In my area it is not available. I don't live in a rural area, the postman brings my packages to the front door, but they will not pick up packages. If I have something to ship and I don't want to go to the post office I use UPS, but that even takes a couple of days for pickup (and costs more).

tinatark
06-16-2006, 05:20 PM
Looks like anyone can schedule a pickup... those of you whos' carrier says they don't, you should try scheduling one to see if they will if they "have to"!

https://carrierpickup.usps.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/CarrierPickup.woa

Personally, I would rather do anything than go to the post office during their regular business hours! Ours has to be the slowest office!

The priority flat rate boxes and envelopes are my favorite - Most stuff will fit in one of the size boxes!

I use a weight watchers scale to weigh stuff - I'm sure it's not exact,but I round up an ounce or so to be safe - I think it was $7.97 at Wal Mart.

Our mailman on our regular guys day off aggravates me - he brings up boxes which won't fit in our box (2/10 a mile down our driveway) and leaves the other mail in the box! Of course I'm always at home when he delivers! Our regular guy secures the mail items with a rubber band and leaves it all on our porch!

PURTYPAT1
06-17-2006, 06:24 AM
I am also a seller, I feel as soon as payment is received, the package should go out within 24 hours. I work another job, plus, I taxi my DD 12 to school & many activities. There is always a hot meal on the table daily, I have a very busy life. Somehow, someway, I manage, to get those packages out. It now helps, that I can print the lables at home, & just drop off the packages, at the post, no more waiting.

I believe, that if someone, a stranger, is honest enough to send me payment, I should be considerate enough to send them an email, letting them know that there package has been mailed out. I always email them & let them know, that, they should have there package, in 7-10 days. (just in case it's snail mail)
Most times, they get it in 3-5 I have 100% positive and over one thousand feedback's. Communication is one of the biggest key to ebay.

As a buyer, I email, & ask when the package is being sent out. May times, the seller ignores my email. I will email again, with ebay safe harbor, in my address, as well as there's. They always answer my emails, then. If not, and it's been a few weeks, I just go to contact information & get there phone number. It is my last resort, but when I call, it always works. I do this for non payment too after 10 days.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQtZvbQQsofindtypeZ9

Please, no mean comments, I am just sharing "my proper etiquette" & how I problem solve. I am able to send my DD thru private school, & take family vacations, thanks to ebay. :thumbsup2

Patricia

my ebay name is the same as my disneyboards name.

tinatark
06-17-2006, 08:06 AM
Patricia - you're my kind of seller! I am a casual seller, but have the same shipping philosophy as you when I sell.

I also leave feedback when the buyer pays me for their item. They did their part according to our agreement. I am not as diligent in leaving feedback for sellers- I usually post it within a week of the transaction!

mlwear
06-17-2006, 08:07 AM
I guess I'm one of your pet peeves..I'm sorry. I pay and vrane.com leaves my feedback for me, and they only leave it in return to positives. It saves me time I better spend getting my items shipped within two business days (or less!). If it was up to me, and buyers didn't mind, I wouldn't bother with any feedback. I think it's useless, the way eBay has it set up..but I pay for it to be posted, for the buyers. My buyers haven't complained that I don't leave it in advance, and a large percent leave it (and it's always good feedback, touching on the item, the packing and quick shipping).
But, I can change what vrane leaves. So instead of saying, good ebayer, good communication, etc, would you rather the feedback always addressed if the buyer was a fast payer? I'm curious as to why you want to see that in the buyer's feedback.
I personally don't get worried until I don't get something I have ordered at the 10 day mark. I figure Paypal's 7 and 3 days to arrive.

As the occassional ebay buyer and seldom seller, I did not even know of a service called vrane.
But, I do have a question. Since it only sends feedbacks when you get a positive, if a buyer would give you a neutral (maybe because of slow shipping or whatever) BUT the buyer did everything deserving of a positive (paid well, communicated, if needed, etc), would verne not give that buyer a positve because the seller was left a neutral? If so, kind of makes the feebback process a joke. "If you wrote I did a good job, I'll do the same". How about just reflecting what happened, that was the point of feedback.

I agree with the phrasing of another poster. Sometimes you do feel held hostage by your 100% positive feedback. It's either leave positive or none for fear of unfair retaliation.

DMRick
06-17-2006, 08:42 AM
But, I do have a question. Since it only sends feedbacks when you get a positive, if a buyer would give you a neutral (maybe because of slow shipping or whatever) BUT the buyer did everything deserving of a positive (paid well, communicated, if needed, etc), would verne not give that buyer a positve because the seller was left a neutral? .
vrane isn't set up that way. I would have the choice however, if a neutral came, to leave it by hand myself. However, it's not a problem with me, since I ship within 2 days, describe my items well, and people seem to love what I sell. We have a large return base, and our customers are happy..so for us, that's all that matters. I'm able to spend my time shipping, and vrane takes care of the feedback. If you are getting neutrals and the people deserve a posi back, then this is not for you.
I also would have no problem leaving a negative (and I do)..and I wear the 4 I have out of my over 6000 feedback with pride. None were deserved IMO, all given by non payers or in one case, by someone who didn't like the box I shipped in (it said Walmart LOL).

DMRick
06-17-2006, 08:52 AM
Please, no mean comments, I am just sharing "my proper etiquette" & how I problem solve. I am able to send my DD thru private school, & take family vacations, thanks to ebay. :thumbsup2
You are actually sharing your opinion, and there is nothing wrong with that. However, we are all self employed with eBay, and they leave the choice to us when to leave feedback. eBay says when the sale is completed, and many of us feel it's not completed until both sides are happy, or given a chance to fix a problem. I too used to think my way was the only way..back when I left it as soon as paid. But then I realized I was the hostage. It only took one time for someone to leave me a neg in return (yep, that walmart box) for me to learn..hey, it's not over yet, until the other person gets their item, and if there is a problem, for me to solve it the best I can. If I'm not going to be given a chance to solve it, because I've already left feedback, than for me, it's not a good system. (By the way, although I thought it was stupid, since the actual item was in it's own box, inside the Walmart box, I did offer to pay their shipping for them to return it, and I would resend in a plain box..and that was after they left the neg).
While I think opinions are good, and every one has the right to run their business as it fits for them..I don't think someone has the right to say their way is the only "proper" way. It may be the only proper way for them..but that doesn't mean it is for everyone. It's worked this way for many years for us..if it didn't, I would change.