PDA

View Full Version : Converting 35mm film to digital?

zumbergc
06-15-2006, 11:16 AM
I'm getting my wedding negatives from a few years ago finally from disney. Does anyone have any tips for getting the negatives converted to digital format?

I'm talking about 12 rolls of film.
I'm not sure if its practical to have all 12 rolls done some place $$$ or to buy some type of device to do this myself at home?

Anybody have any tips about converting old negatives?

TIA
Connie

majimikate
06-15-2006, 11:41 AM
Connie,

I would try posting this on the Photography board. Lots of professionals and very seasoned people frequent that board and could probably give some excellent advice.

Good luck!

Chris

ceiligh1
06-15-2006, 12:03 PM
We had about 13 rolls of negatives from our wedding to transfer to digital. We borrowed a negative scanner and did it ourselves. It does take a while to complete so give yourself time. Be sure to wipe the negative with a soft lint free cloth before you run it through the scanner or you will have odd lines show up in the digital image. We kept wondering what they were and then we had to do half of the rolls over again. Also scan in the highest resolution you will need so that you dont have to rescan if you want a bigger photo.

My mom recently bought a scanner at costco to convert her parents slides and negatives to digital. It was about $100. To be honest we didnt price out what it would cost to have someone else do it but even if you have to buy the scanner at 100 if you have 12 rolls that comes to about $8.30 per roll. Plus you have the ability to convert other rolls.
Hope this helps.
c.
feel free to pm if you have specific questions.

Nicolepa
06-15-2006, 12:09 PM
To take it and have it done will be about $1 per picture We looked at this a few years ago. Dh ended up getting a negative scanner and doing it himself. He wanted to do all his parents pictures so we had hundreds to do. It's a time consuming process though. It takes like a minute per picture (not negative).

I think if you just want you wedding pictures done then it would be about the same price to have someone else do it. But if you had others you wanted converted then it would be better to do it yourself. The scanners now run $200-300 I think.