PDA

View Full Version : Disappointing Hollywood & Vine

DVC92
06-15-2006, 06:27 AM
H&V was very disappointing on a recent visit. The buffet has been downgraded in the last month (confirmed by a waitress). Favorite items have disappeared (root beer sweet potatoes, flavored butters, toppings for salad, etc.). Could this be a result of the Disney Dining Plan?

bluejasmine
06-15-2006, 07:27 AM
We went in March 05 and were dissapointed too. There was very little variety they had two bars and a kids bar going the two bars both had the same items on them..

chanty
06-15-2006, 07:49 AM
We were considering this option with the Fantasmic Package.... More comments would appreciated from other Disers.

jjohnson
06-15-2006, 07:56 AM
I haven't been to H&V since last August. It was awful.

01Sweetpea
06-15-2006, 07:59 AM
We did H&V with the Fantasmic package in 3/2004, we will NOT be going back. It didn't help that the food was basically the same as CP, which we ate at the night before, but we found CP's buffet to be better. Even DH said never again.

This year we are trying MM with the FP.

Noah122898
06-15-2006, 10:32 AM
We had the Fantasmic! package here in 08/04 because it was the least expensive option. What a mistake. The food was nasty the place was filthy and the waitress never refilled our drinks. I guess you get what you pay for, I will NEVER do this again. :sad2: :crazy2:

gigi1313
06-15-2006, 12:45 PM
wow, we must be the odd-family-out... we ate there in '04 and enjoyed it... again in '05 and enjoyed it... and most recently in jan '06 and it was decided among our group of 8 that it was the best meal of the trip (and we'd dined at LeC, CMs, LTT, CRT, CP)... everything was delish, there was a chicken w/berries and wine dish that was outstanding, endive salad that i could just eat all day, the famous root beer sweet potatoes (is it true? are they really gone?!), etc... and a fabulously accommodating chef that was very helpful dealing w/my son's food allergies and our friend's diabetes... i'll be very sad if it's gone that far downhill in such a short period of time...

Cannot_Wait_4Disney
06-15-2006, 04:07 PM
We didn't have root beer sweet potatos when we went and that was awhile ago. So I'm not so sure they're permanantly KO'd.

We liked it when we went too. We liked CM's and CP and 1900 a bit better but it certainly had better food than CRT (which we also liked) and had way better food than Marrakesh, which we won't be going back to.

scrappinmom
06-15-2006, 04:30 PM
Has the new character meal started? I wonder if that will change it even more? ok wait I think it starts late June...I'm intersted in reading those reviews

Praying Colonel
06-16-2006, 09:44 PM
wow, we must be the odd-family-out...

Us, too, I guess. We really enjoyed it the last time we were there (8/04) and can't wait to try it again this August.

michygoomy
06-16-2006, 10:32 PM
Ditto what most of the others are saying.

We were there just this week and it was very disappointing--and my expectations weren't that high to begin with. I couldn't switch my Fantasmic ADRs to someplace else. Not much variety, food was just OK, plates were very dirty looking, place was loud and not appealling.

JandT'smom
06-18-2006, 12:27 PM
Have to agree with most everyone else that it was AWFUL. What a waste never again. Food was not good no varity bad service.

bsmcneil
06-18-2006, 01:26 PM
We did H&V with the Fantasmic package in 3/2004, we will NOT be going back. It didn't help that the food was basically the same as CP, which we ate at the night before, but we found CP's buffet to be better. Even DH said never again.

This year we are trying MM with the FP.
ditto. i really did not enjoy it. (3/04)

jpolak
06-18-2006, 05:31 PM
Uh-oh. We have an ADR there for our next trip.

Emily & Sarah's Mom
06-18-2006, 05:58 PM
It sounds like a lot of the posters dined a H&V a while back. We ate here this week and it was very good. I was stressed because I had read such negative posts before our trip and was prepared for it to be awful.

The service was very good - our drinks were always full. The restaurant was clean, the food was hot, everything tasted good. We were seated right on time. These were all contrary to the complaints I had read before we left.

I would recommend H&V without hesitation.

Fairy Godmother
06-18-2006, 11:06 PM
We ate there last month ( May 06). The food was just ok but the service was fantastic. Our drinks were never empty.

parman
06-19-2006, 04:04 PM
:sad2: Our expectations were not high after reading posts before our trip. We ate there on 6/14 ( only ADR we could get with Fantasmic PKG ) and the food was the worst of the trip. I can say that the wait staff was good but it didn't make up for the food quality. Not much in choices and most of the food bland warm not hot. If you can make a ADR at Mama Melrose for 1TS credit you would be wise to do so.

yaksack
06-20-2006, 11:41 AM
Did anyone go there for the character breakfast? If so, how was it?

Disney Crazy Debbie
06-20-2006, 12:20 PM
We ate there 8/04 and we loved it. We had eaten at 50's Prime Time and Sci-Fi Dine In at MGM prior to that trip. Of course the reason we booked was for the Fantasmic package but my son chose H&V for the package this year because he liked it so well. 50's had been one of his favorites and I'm the one that like Sci-Fi, he's not that crazy about it.

WisMom
06-20-2006, 06:31 PM
We were there on Sunday, the 18th - just two nights ago. We were very happy with our meal here. Our reservation was for 6pm, we were seated at 6:20. The food was fresh and hot. While we didn't try everything, everything we did try was very good. The grilled flank steak was far better than the meat at Ohana. Our server was good, kept our drinks replenished and brought us coffee when he saw us getting dessert. Desserts were very good. We also ate at Crystal Palace. The food there is a little more adventurous but we thought both were comparable in quality.

They did seem to be a bit short on staff. They were booked for the evening but the whole time we were in there, the restaurant was half full. They were doing a good job keeping up with cleaning tables. We would go here again.

WisMom

JoiseyMom
06-20-2006, 07:26 PM
We have eaten there every trip for the last 5 trips, and the food has always been consistently good, and hot. The service goes up and down, that depends on your server. The restaurant is loud, but not much you can do about that. We really like the food. DD loves the peel and eat shrimp, I love the kids meatballs, and the sliced steak is yum! DH loves the cornbread. When DH told me to plan this trip he said, dont forget to do the Fantasmic package at H&V and WCC. My DH is very very picky also. Everyone's tastes are so different. We used to go to Ohana's every trip, but no longer. We went last August and everyone said the new potatoes were wonderful. ARGH, dh and I both said they tasted like glue.

If you have ADR's there, keep them and try it. :)

Albertan mom
06-21-2006, 11:29 PM
Glad to hear that there are some satisfied diners, as we eat there in August.

Question--do they give you a voucher or something that you present at Fantasmic to get the good seating?
thanks

gigi1313
06-22-2006, 08:16 AM
yes, at then end of your meal they will give you a "ticket/voucher" for each member of your party to get admission to the FDP entrance (they will also give you directions to the entrance, but i think there's a map on the back?)... they truly make it easy :)

yanners
06-22-2006, 02:47 PM
We were there in February of 2006 and we liked it. The food was good and so was the service.... :confused3

honey11dog
06-22-2006, 03:41 PM
We just got back today and I am sorry to report that this was our worst meal. The service was slow and the buffet was not impressive. My overall feeling about the place was that it was unclean. It was our first time to eat at H&V, so I am hoping that it was an off day. Needless to say, we will not waste our money on H&V again.

essmom
06-23-2006, 07:29 AM
I am also glad to hear some positve reviews- we go in late July and I don't expect a fabulous meal or anything-do they have a kids buffet? Thanks

slduck
06-23-2006, 07:35 AM
We were there in Dec 05. The food was good! Dh declared it his fav of the trip (We dined at LeCel, Castle, CM, Akershus). I am sad to hear that the flavored butters are gone. They were YUMMY!

KristinU
06-23-2006, 08:19 AM
Did anyone go there for the character breakfast? If so, how was it?

Anyone? Anyone? To be honest, we'd still keep our ressie even if it isn't stellar because of the Little Einsteins and Jo Jo...but it would be nice to gear ourselves up for realistic expectations as far as the food goes.

rutgers1995
06-23-2006, 11:59 AM
Character dining at H&V doesn't start until the 25th. I'm interested to hear reviews of the breakfast, since that's our second reservation for our upcoming trip in July. I, too, am not holding out hope for a stellar dining experience, but Playhouse Disney is one of the top priorities for my 6-year-old, so I'm sucking it up for her. Although I may cancel and rebook elsewhere if its truly crummy.

cavecricket
06-24-2006, 07:55 AM
Edited as I was thinking of the wrong place!... I have never tried H&V....this is the Italian place right?....I am not a fan of Italian food, just not my thing. Cant imagine anything not being a good time in WDW though!

indigoxtreme
06-24-2006, 08:22 AM
Hollywood and Vine is american food buffet. Mama Melrose is the Italian place.

imageid
06-24-2006, 09:58 AM
We ate at H&V on June 13th. I have to say the wait staff was good our drinks were always full and she bought us coffee when we went to get dessert. The food was good, it was what I expected on a buffet. The kids were also pleased. Overall, we had a good experience. I will go back.

Hopefully
06-24-2006, 11:02 AM
H & V was, by far, the worst meal of our April trip. (It was the only bad meal of our trip, including all CS meals). The food was bad, it was not hot, the tables were dirty and it was loud. The ladies room was disgusting!!!
We will not go back for any reason.

Hanover
06-24-2006, 02:39 PM
We ate at H &V last August and also thought it was awful. The service was good, but that was it. We've since eaten at Mama Melrose, Sci Fi and 50's Prime Time which were all better than H & V. We are heading back to MM on our next trip since we liked it the best.

Albertan mom
06-24-2006, 02:41 PM
I hope it is good when we are there in August.

Here are some reviews, though none of them are too recent:

http://www.ourlaughingplace.com/asp/dd.asp?step=4&third=HV&locID=WDW

Also good pics and menus.

Disney owl
06-25-2006, 11:27 AM
Sorry to hear this, we3've enjoyed eating at H&V on previous visits

Tink10
06-28-2006, 02:12 PM
H & V was, by far, the worst meal of our April trip. (It was the only bad meal of our trip, including all CS meals). The food was bad, it was not hot, the tables were dirty and it was loud. The ladies room was disgusting!!!
We will not go back for any reason.

I totally agree with you....

We just ate there last week & it was, by far, the worst restaurant on Disney Property.......

momandseandodisney
06-30-2006, 08:13 AM
We were considering this option with the Fantasmic Package.... More comments would appreciated from other Disers.

Same here

cvs2kids
06-30-2006, 08:25 AM
We went there last October, within half an hour of closing. It was with free dining promo.

1) Place was empty
2) Hot food items were cold.
3) Service wasn't all that bad.
4) Didn't replenish.

We won't go back. I can understand if its quiet why they won't replenish buffet, but I wish they had a menu to order from.

I talked my sister and her family out of trying it this year. It appears the nays outweigh the yah's in this topic.

Minniespal
07-01-2006, 08:56 AM
Thanx for posting.

sunny04
07-01-2006, 09:30 AM
I get the feeling the items get switched out often. The first time we went about 2 years ago, we really didn't like it. We tried it again and LOVED it. The last trip in April, it was okay, but was missing some of the great food from the previous trip. Perhaps it changes regularly and a lot of people have caught it on bad days?

PureTcrazy
07-01-2006, 06:16 PM
We have eaten there 3 or 4 times, the most recent was in May. My DB had had to take my DM back to the hotel to rest and they got caught in the parade and could not get there on time for ADR. I spoke to the CM to let them know they were coming..No problem. As soon as they got there we waited about 5 minutes and went right in.

We had a really good server, who even though it was really busy took the time to joke with my DB. The food was not V & A, but it was good. The breads and butter are always pleasing. The salads were all cold and fresh. I was disappointed that they had done away with the Turkey pot roast, they have Roast beef now :sad2: , they did not have the sweet potatoes either. They did still have those yummy little desserts :love:

I think if you go into it with realistic expectations, you will enjoy your meal. It is loud, but almost every restaurant at WDW is!

autumnsmommy
07-01-2006, 08:42 PM
We ate there in May 06, liked it. DD4 and I had a good waiter, chatted with the family beside us, and enjoyed the selections. Neither one of us are big on red meat, but can put away the peel and eat shrimp. The mini desserts I loved. Like to experiment, hate to waste it. We had the Fantsamic package, will have to do it again next time. DD asked to go again the second it was over.

frannn
07-05-2006, 11:19 AM
We haven't eaten here in a while, but definetly enjoyed it when we did. Once they did away with the character dinner, our visits dwindled, then stopped completely. There must be a rule or something about bad food in MGM...I have not found a great CS meal here.... I am not a fan of Italian food (except for chicken parm, and I can order that at the AS food court), so MM is not a great option. We are taking the opportunity to get the FDP with the free DDP, so the only other choice is BD, and I don't want to burn extra TS credits, nor do I want to go to a non-young-child friendly place. So, we will stick with our choice of H&V, and hope that we hit it on a good night. Our standards are not that high, since we are used to Old Country Buffett, Taco Bell, etc., while at home. We go on our arrival day, so I am hoping it is not a bad start to our trip.

ilovepooh
07-06-2006, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the review. It was actually on my list of places to try, but I won't waste my time getting a ressie there until I hear some better reviews. Thanks again!! :sunny:

Tiggerlover48
07-19-2006, 04:58 PM
We ate there Nov. 2004 and it was great. The salads were awesome, the food had a great selection and the desserts were delicious. We aren't going back the next trip only because I want my DH to try the pot roast at 50's PT. Sorry to hear some didn't like it.

Dennyha
07-21-2006, 03:32 PM
We ate at H&V for dinner during the first week of July, and it was just OK. Our server was great, and there was nothing wrong with the food, but there was nothing memorable about it either. I looked for the root beer sweet potatotes, and of course, they are no longer there. I don't think we will go back. There are too many great restaurants at WDW.

FLYNZ4
07-26-2006, 04:27 PM
We typically go to the Brown Derby during our trips. We decided to change to H&V for our upcoming trip's "Fanstasmic Dinner"... mostly because we have some relatives along and we were unsure if we should commit them to a more expensive meal.

After reading the reviews here... I cancelled our H&V reservation and booked BD instead. Tried and true.

/Jim

english rose 47
07-26-2006, 04:45 PM
Has someone done the lunch with the Characters Comments please. DGS loves JoJo so plan on doing it for that but need to know what characyter interaction is like????

2002Disneybride
07-26-2006, 05:08 PM
You might want to do a search--I remember reading posts about this.
A friend of mine went and her DS 2 absolutely loved it.We're taking our DS in August.

yaksack
07-27-2006, 05:45 AM
Has someone done the lunch with the Characters Comments please. DGS loves JoJo so plan on doing it for that but need to know what characyter interaction is like????

I have read mixed reviews. but most indicate H&W has gotten much better after it became a character breakfast.

My DD6(in Oct) and DD1 love the Little Einsteins. I hope this is good. we have reservations in November 2006.

wintergreen
07-28-2006, 08:43 AM
Dinner at H&V was the most disappointing meal of our last trip. We had the Fantasmic package booked there on July 4. We did not wait too long to be seated. The atmosphere was fine. Our waiter was actually wonderful! However, I can't even remember what I ate, the food was so forgettable. Even my DDs, who normally love buffets b/c they can choose from a wide variety of foods, had trouble finding anything that they wanted to eat. It wasn't terrible, and the Fantasmic seating was helpful, but we will not eat at this restaurant again. Just not worth it IMHO.

Rudy6
07-29-2006, 04:08 PM
Sorry to hear that. I usually like the H&V. My favorites are the corn and sweet potatoes.

disneysailor
07-31-2006, 07:18 PM
Can anyone share how the waits have been recently at Hollywood and Vine for seating with an ADR? How about those of you who went to H&V during free dining last year? We have a reservation for the third week of August with the Fantasmic package but it seems that I have been reading a lot of posts stating that there have been long waits for seating. The whole reason for us getting the package was to avoid waiting for the show, I don't want to substitute that with waiting for seating. :rolleyes1 . Is the Fantasmic seating worth waiting for seating at H&V and the food at H&V? Thanks for any input!

Mickey-4-Me
08-03-2006, 01:01 AM
Can anyone share how the waits have been recently at Hollywood and Vine for seating with an ADR? How about those of you who went to H&V during free dining last year? We have a reservation for the third week of August with the Fantasmic package but it seems that I have been reading a lot of posts stating that there have been long waits for seating. The whole reason for us getting the package was to avoid waiting for the show, I don't want to substitute that with waiting for seating. :rolleyes1 . Is the Fantasmic seating worth waiting for seating at H&V and the food at H&V? Thanks for any input!

Ditto. We have ADRs for H&V FDP for the 3rd week of August. Tried to get MM with no luck. The only other option for us was Brown Derby - a "no go". I DEFINITELY do not want a lengthy wait only to be disappointed by cleanliness and food quality/selection. Hmmm. What's a girl to do?

jbdreamer
08-04-2006, 04:12 PM
Ditto. We have ADRs for H&V FDP for the 3rd week of August. Tried to get MM with no luck. The only other option for us was Brown Derby - a "no go". I DEFINITELY do not want a lengthy wait only to be disappointed by cleanliness and food quality/selection. Hmmm. What's a girl to do?
We'll be there too 3rd week of August too, maybe we'll see you there! We are eating at H&V on August 19 at 6pm. I hope it is not as bad as everyone seems to think. My family isn't too picky though.

Disney Crazy Debbie
08-06-2006, 09:00 AM
We'll be there too 3rd week of August too, maybe we'll see you there! We are eating at H&V on August 19 at 6pm. I hope it is not as bad as everyone seems to think. My family isn't too picky though.

ThaT'S when we scheduled for H&V too! We are doing MGM that day and we will be at Sci-Fi DIne In for lunch, I can't remember the exact time.

Albertan mom
08-06-2006, 10:06 AM
ThaT'S when we scheduled for H&V too! We are doing MGM that day and we will be at Sci-Fi DIne In for lunch, I can't remember the exact time.
:wave:
We are there around the same time!
Sci-Fi at 12:30, H&V at 5:50, on August 24th.

english rose 47
08-06-2006, 06:03 PM
Thinking of doing a late breakfast instead of lunch Anyone any comments on a 10:30 ish breakfast. Was food hot filled up etc and how was the character experience at that time????

mamaprincess
08-09-2006, 09:01 AM
We ate there in March of 05 and found the experince to be average. Not bad, just ok.

mjkaferle5
08-09-2006, 09:06 AM
We were just there in June. I thought H & V was one of the best meals we had. :thumbsup2 The service was great. Drinks were always kept full. There was a little bit of a wait, but it was no problem seeing that it kept us from waiting for Fantasmic!!

Praying Colonel
08-13-2006, 07:48 AM
We did H&V as part of the Fantasmic dinner package last Sunday, 8/6. Once again, our family was pleased with our experience. Overall we'd give it a B, and if we were grading it on a scale as a buffet, we'd give it a B+/A-. We were seated promptly and our server did a great job. The restaurant was clean and well-bussed, and they kept the buffet items stocked and fresh. You're not going to get V&A's when you go to a buffet, but we found the food to be fresh, plentiful, tasty and a good variety.

Albertan mom
08-13-2006, 10:30 AM
Happy to hear some positive reports! :thumbsup2

I will be eating there in....12 nights!! :cool1:

Mamu
08-13-2006, 09:04 PM
My last trip to H&V was in 99 for breakfast and vowed never to return.

My DS and his family did the dinner package in 02 and said it was the worst meal at Disney. That just confirms my opinion to never return.

MEB5126
08-14-2006, 04:00 AM
[QUOTE=gigi1313]wow, we must be the odd-family-out... we ate there in '04 and enjoyed it... again in '05 and enjoyed it... and most recently in jan '06 and it was decided among our group of 8 that it was the best meal of the trip QUOTE]

Same here, innovative menu items, fabulous preparation, always a favorite for us.
I am worried however about the character meal coming...afraid they will remove all the good, but not kid-friendly items. I can get chicken nuggets and corn dogs anywhere. :stir:

datsyukchick
08-14-2006, 08:24 PM
I've always been a big fan of H&V, we've eaten there three times (02, '03, '05).

We've always enjoyed it. I'll be disappointed if it has gone downhill. We'll be going again in January, so I'll let everyone know how it compares.

Camilo
08-15-2006, 06:29 AM
I watched the Fantasmic show when I went do Disneyland, California, back in 1998 (they didn't have the show back in Florida then), and it was the most beautiful Disney show I have ever seen.

We will be going to WDW in 4 weeks with my DW (her 1st time) and son (10 months old). I would prefer not to stand in line for a long time and get a great seat for this amazing show.

My question would be: are the seats good, can you see the show 100%?

I was checking this website (I can't post the URL here) and they have a FAQ about Fantasmic, see below:

So, is it worth it?

In my humble opinion, no. The seatings are at the far right section and unless you get the best seat in the section, your view can and probably will be obstructed a bit. If you get the worst seat near the dinner package seating, that seat is probably better than the worst seat in the dinner package section.

Any opinions for those who have watched the show both going to the H&V and standing in the regular line?

Thanks.....

Camilo

yes, at then end of your meal they will give you a "ticket/voucher" for each member of your party to get admission to the FDP entrance (they will also give you directions to the entrance, but i think there's a map on the back?)... they truly make it easy :)

Silly Girl
08-16-2006, 04:56 PM
I watched the Fantasmic show when I went do Disneyland, California, back in 1998 (they didn't have the show back in Florida then), and it was the most beautiful Disney show I have ever seen.

We will be going to WDW in 4 weeks with my DW (her 1st time) and son (10 months old). I would prefer not to stand in line for a long time and get a great seat for this amazing show.

My question would be: are the seats good, can you see the show 100%?

I was checking this website (I can't post the URL here) and they have a FAQ about Fantasmic, see below:

So, is it worth it?

In my humble opinion, no. The seatings are at the far right section and unless you get the best seat in the section, your view can and probably will be obstructed a bit. If you get the worst seat near the dinner package seating, that seat is probably better than the worst seat in the dinner package section.

Any opinions for those who have watched the show both going to the H&V and standing in the regular line?

Thanks.....

Camilo

Here's my opinion in a nutshell -- H & V IMO is not as bad as so many people seem to think on this board. We were there on 8/8 and did the Fantasmic package. We had a 4:50pm ADR and were seated within 5 minutes of arriving. There was a large selection of food all of which I had was good. I found that my DD's 10 & 7 ate very well. Lots to choose from on both the kids buffet and the adult buffet. Also the dessert buffet was great. Overall we had a good experience (and I was terrified before we went after reading all the negative here).

Know regarding the seats on the Fantasmic Package. We arrived about 50 minutes before the show. Of course we had our pick of seats on the right hand side (this is the area roped off for the package deal). We were about 5 rows back by choice. The amphitheater is set up in 3 sections (left, middle and right). Each section has it own water screen and there is one large staging area everyone can see unless you are blocked by a pole (there are poles that divide the sections). In my estimation all the seats are good unless you unfortunately get behind the pole. It's an amazing show and one of the most enjoyable things we did while we were there. I don't know if you actually need to do the package. There were plenty of seats still available close to the beginning of the show and they fill in the seats still available in the reserved section right before the start of the show.

Hope this helps

english rose 47
08-16-2006, 09:36 PM
I have to wonder if the people who have negative reviews just don't like buffets. We love them in fact I prefer them to ala carte. I love trying a little of this and a little of that, going back for more of sometning really yummy or something I missed I've never not found things I like on a buffet while when I order of the menu I'm stuck good or bad. That's how I feel so I'm sure I'll be fine at H & V , I plan on a late breakfast.

DizzKneeGeek
08-16-2006, 09:58 PM
We LOVE H&V!! went 12/05 and 04/06 and had no wait, great service, full drinks, great food and a fun time both times we were there. and as for the seating...unless you're an "i gotta be in the center" snob; i don't think any of the seats are bad. in fact, my favorite place to watch F! is standing up in the 'very' back of the arena.

the thing that really amazes me are the amount of sheeple(yes...sheep/people) that change their ADR's because of what some other person they don't even know says about a restaurant. you're serious?? just because john jacob jingleheimer schmidt says he doesnt live H&V; you're gonna rush off and change your ADR? Why don't you stick with your guns and make the deciding vote for yourself(after you've eaten there). reminds me of a t-shirt i used to have that read: 'Impress Me, Think for Yourself'. sorry bout the little rant.

sherreis
08-16-2006, 10:12 PM
I'm glad to see some happy reports about H&V cause that is what I was able to book for the Tuesday of Thanksgiving week. Our ADR is at 4:20 PM which is pretty good considering I just made the ADR on Monday night. I would have preferred Mama Melrose's but after reading these reports I feel a little better. I think that DS11 will be happy with this buffet.

bobbiwoz
08-17-2006, 07:12 AM
We used H&V for Fantasmic Package 12/05. My friend picked it and after reading so many negative reports, I just said a silent prayer that it would be acceptable. They were paying the bill, and we had no firsthand knowledge. Well, all 4 of us loved the experience.

I seem to remember seafood, maybe mussels on the buffet. I could be remembering another meal, but can someone please comment. DH and I are going again in December and we would like to do it again.

Bobbi :)

Silly Girl
08-17-2006, 03:00 PM
Yes, there are mussels on the buffet. My DH tried them and said they were very good.

On a side note, the best waitress we had the whole week was at H & V. She was great! I wish I could remember her name.

bobbiwoz
08-17-2006, 05:16 PM
Yes, there are mussels on the buffet. My DH tried them and said they were very good.

On a side note, the best waitress we had the whole week was at H & V. She was great! I wish I could remember her name.

Thank you for answering. Disboard is so good for finding out these little tidbits!

Bobbi :sunny:

keishashadow
08-17-2006, 05:30 PM
We've eaten here every trip since '03, never disappointed w/service or food...

now the rude, mannerless patrons thundering up to the trough are another matter...no, I'm not kidding. Each time we dine here I see guests commiting atrocious behavior (not just kids). Who doesn't understand that you don't stick your fingers into a buffet dish to sneak a taste or, even worse, take a bite & put it back?????I notify the CM's everytime I see this behavior, mostly from loosely supervised kids...ewwwww.

that said, I've always termed it a "poor man's" chef mickeys...many of the same dishes/desserts. It is what it is...pretty good food on the cheap (for WDW). My 3 sons always make a dent in it & come away happy.

Think it's worth a TS credit for the Fantasmic pkg. We've even paid OOP for it.:banana:Believe it or not, we'd be eating there again in Oct. but, needed a later ressie that wasn't available, so we'll be doing mama melrose fan pkg for 1st time.

6IrishDisneyKids
08-22-2006, 10:38 PM
We had lunch at H&V yesterday as our last sit-down meal of our trip. We picked this for our smallest dd, who loves JoJo. I don't know what I expected, but it was obviously too much. When we walked in, it was SO LOUD you could not hear yourself think. The tables and chairs are very cheap and light weight - like you could throw a chair across the room with a half-toss. I know that is a funny thing to complain about but it just contributed to my overall dismay. And I hate that H&V shares a relatively small restroom with 50s Primetime - yuck! - There's nothing less appetizing than having to use a restroom with a mile-long line and awful aroma...and the buffet was just sub-par. Now we had eaten at the Crystal Palace the day before and LOVED it. Awesome buffet, beautifully prepared, great service, etc..with characters... I guess I was hoping for the same. Or something somewhat close Instead, it came off like a cheap (CHEAP) diner experience. The one saving grace was that we did have a VERY nice waitress named Stephanie. SHe did a great job. Once, however, was enough. No more H&V for us. Sorry to give such a negative review, but it is fresh in my mind. :blush: The rest of our trip was great!

TOONTOWN
08-23-2006, 06:23 AM
anyone go to this yet????? thanks. We are going October

TOONTOWN
08-23-2006, 06:24 AM
for the info

2002Disneybride
08-23-2006, 02:34 PM
Well, I had the opposite opinion of lunch. We loved it. DS (2) had a great time dancing with the characters--he danced around the restaurant with the playhouse pals (cast members running the show)...as far as the buffet-I thought it was delicious...everything was fresh and hot.
We really enjoyed this lunch and will be returning for breakfast in october.

yaksack
08-24-2006, 05:50 AM
Where all of the Little Einsteins there?

Albertan mom
09-03-2006, 02:43 PM
We had dinner here last week.
We liked it fine.
The food was good, my FIL loved the shrimp. The kids roasted chicken was great. The atmosphere was good. The buffet was extensive as far as choices go. We would eat here again for sure. Especially if it is free again!!!
It was better then some of the other places we ate.
Only complaint was it took a long time to get seated. Our ressie was for 5:50, we got there at 5:30, sat at around 6:20.