PDA

View Full Version : Cape May Clam Bake Buffet Review

Priorityonecb
06-14-2006, 10:39 PM
This one also got a thumbs down from our family. But, I will admit that we were all tired, hot and bothered when we arrived. We fully admit that could have colored our view. Dd15 had also just hyperextended her knee so she was hurting and wasn't in the mood to eat.

The buffet was plentiful, but the shrimp was very overcooked and tough. The sides were all great, I made a meal of those and the salads and salmon. Dd15 pretty much ate a serving of salad and some fruit. Dd9 didn't care for the kids buffet, but found enough to eat on the regular buffet to keep her happy. She is just not a chicken tender, mac and cheese kind of kid!

Kudo's to the chef here. Dd9 has a peanut allergy. He came out to inform us there was nothing on the dessert buffet that was safe for her. He asked her, if she could have anything what would it be. She said "chocolate icecream with blueberries"...and darned if he didn't show up within 5 minutes with just that! She was thrilled.

Minniespal
06-15-2006, 02:34 AM
Thanx for sharing.

NMW
06-15-2006, 07:52 AM
Thanks for the review. We love Cape May Cafe. Glad to hear that the chef was so great with the allergy. :)

jjohnson
06-15-2006, 07:55 AM
Sorry it didn't go well for you. CMC is a must do for us.

bluejasmine
06-17-2006, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the review..Wow the chefs seem so considerate when it comes to food allergies I have heard several times of them coming out and talking to families..

Corinne
06-20-2006, 05:55 AM
Kudo's to the chef here. Dd9 has a peanut allergy. He came out to inform us there was nothing on the dessert buffet that was safe for her. He asked her, if she could have anything what would it be. She said "chocolate icecream with blueberries"...and darned if he didn't show up within 5 minutes with just that! She was thrilled.

That's great! I have never heard of a combination like that before! lol! ;)

I am sorry you were not happy with Cape May. We really love it there~of course we don't eat any of the seafood!

EpcotMatt
06-21-2006, 03:14 PM
We love Cape May & never miss it! The one drawback is that I tend to feel sick everytime I leave...because I go through about 4 plates of clams{in addition to everything else, including the great dessert bar}. :) :)

theflowerladee
06-21-2006, 03:21 PM
We do not eat seafood, but Cape May is a definate stop on all of our trips, usually 2x, once for breakfast with Minnie and once for dinner.

MinnieJasmine&Pooh
06-22-2006, 06:39 PM
Do they have ribs and corn? How are they?

olbear
06-23-2006, 01:22 PM
yes they do have BBQ ribs and they also have steamed corn on the clam side usually.

This is one of our favorite don't miss places to eat.

Blessings,
Winnie

treehugger
06-23-2006, 04:16 PM
Our trip to the World would not be complete without a meal at CMC. We really enjoy the selection there and have always had a great meal. Also, the servers are consistantly great. Sorry your experience was not good, maybe you can give it another chance.

PS~I love their cornbread

swankybeth
06-23-2006, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the review, sorry you weren't impressed with the food. A few years ago they were also really great with my dairy allergy at breakfast. They prepared some dairy free waffles for me, but also were willing to make any other dishes dairy free. :sunny:

ufgator
06-23-2006, 05:49 PM
Thanks for your review.

Gina35
06-24-2006, 11:49 AM

How great! My son also has a peanut allergy; must admit we've never had any1 who was so caring and helpful! I'm impressed.

Corinne
06-25-2006, 06:30 AM
Our trip to the World would not be complete without a meal at CMC. We really enjoy the selection there and have always had a great meal. Also, the servers are consistantly great. Sorry your experience was not good, maybe you can give it another chance.

PS~I love their cornbread

I agree with all of your comments! Especially the cornbread! YUM!!!!!!!!!

Purrrrfecta
06-25-2006, 07:53 AM
We just ate there on Thursday, and our family is not a seafood family so we didn't eat it, but we did have everything else. I was happy to see they had a good veggie selection as well as other things. Thought the ribs were good as well.

Belle for President
06-25-2006, 08:10 AM
I just love it when they take care of kids like that. Now I'm going to have to try some chocolate ice cream and blueberries!

Could someone describe the sides? I'm thinking of adding this buffet to our list next trip...DH is a big seafood fan, but I'm not a huge fish eater. Although if I could fill up on shrimp and sides, it'd be fine.

makinorlando
06-25-2006, 08:12 AM
DD9 and I are going next weekend (I have to check and see what day I made ADRs for???).

We try to go to a WDW restaurant once a month (more if the budget allows) and DD picked CMC. She LOVES steamed clams.

Purrrrfecta
06-25-2006, 12:08 PM
Could someone describe the sides? I'm thinking of adding this buffet to our list next trip...DH is a big seafood fan, but I'm not a huge fish eater. Although if I could fill up on shrimp and sides, it'd be fine.

I will try to do the best I can,

Breads
generic cornbread found also at TEB, WC, and HDDR
another type of bread rolls
whipped butter

Salads
ceasar salad
seafood potato salad
regular salad
fruit salad
coleslaw

others, but I can't remember

Veggies
aspargus sauteed in something wonderful tasted just like broccoli
fresh greenbeans and carrots
corn on the cob

pasta
italian antipasto salad (warm) with melted cheese -really good!

Ribs
baked chicken
carved meats
fried cod?

soups
chicken cordon bleu soup. Wonderful!
New england clam chowder

mrludwig
09-07-2006, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the review. We love Cape May Cafe. Glad to hear that the chef was so great with the allergy. We love this place and my DH requests this restaurant every time we go to WDW. We are going back in July,2007.

serendipity
09-07-2006, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the review. We didn't like Cape May Cafe either. We did dine there on a sunday I believe though, so after so many positive responses maybe it was just an off night. Of course I grew up at the Jersey shore so I might be a bit picky. When we ate the clams there there was sand and cracked shells! Anyway I don't think we'd go back anytime soon. That's great about the chef though, I love that disney touch.

Gina35
09-08-2006, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the review..Wow the chefs seem so considerate when it comes to food allergies I have heard several times of them coming out and talking to families..
Several posts ago I said no one had ever been quite as thoughtful in making a separate dish for my DS w/ a peanut allergy. While that's true, I must say that ALL of the chefs came out to speak w/ us when we went in August. I think it must be a WDW rule or something; but whatever the reason, it really does make the allergic person as well as the family feel much better. They come out to the table as soon as they're able; and they're very, very pleasant. Kudos to all of them!

sschochet
09-08-2006, 09:16 PM
We also weren't big fans of the CMC clam bake. Love the character breakfast, it was the usual fare and everything was great including the character interaction with our son. The food at the clam bake was mediocre at best, and not what we've come to expect from a table service meal at Disney.

Laurafoster
09-09-2006, 04:55 AM
Loved reading your review! Thanks for sharing!

Nice to know the Chef catered for dietary requirements!

Pea-n-Me
09-09-2006, 05:04 AM
That's pretty impressive. We'll be traveling next year with a family who has a child with a peanut allergy also.

Eventer98
09-10-2006, 04:38 PM
DF and I LOVED CMB when we are there last month..I am a huge fan of steamed clams and I'm not picky about them! :thumbsup2 So unlimited clams is fine by me! DF also enjoyed the steak (although one tour book said it was prime rib and it isn't) Either way we will be back!

Mad4Dizne
09-10-2006, 06:01 PM
our last trip food and service were horrible. The answer for one of our party's dairy allergy was to bring her plain items, no flavorings at all, even after she told them what she could have (she had asked for oil and vinegar on the side even--and never got that-). I have never seen a smaller, drier offering of beef at a restaurant before. Over cooked seafood items--yuck....ribs were grossly overcooked...terrible experience....Very disappointing. We won't be going for dinner again.

StitchIsOurHero
09-10-2006, 06:17 PM
I'm sorry you had a bad experience there! It is a must-do for us--DH loves the clams! :thumbsup2 We also did the Cape May Breakfast on our last trip (June 2006), and I changed our ADR's when we got home to do it again for our Sept. trip--I love their version of the breakfast pizza! ;)

jwfla422
09-11-2006, 02:04 PM
our last trip food and service were horrible. The answer for one of our party's dairy allergy was to bring her plain items, no flavorings at all, even after she told them what she could have (she had asked for oil and vinegar on the side even--and never got that-). I have never seen a smaller, drier offering of beef at a restaurant before. Over cooked seafood items--yuck....ribs were grossly overcooked...terrible experience....Very disappointing. We won't be going for dinner again.

I can totally relate. We've done dinner here before but the last time was our last time. It was terrible. The buffet was in need of LOTS of refills especially for the kids items and the only items my dd ate (coincidence I'm sure), but we spent more time going up there and waiting in line to see if stuff was available than we did at our table eating and when we finally did eat the food left a lot to be desired. The salad area was cleaned out. Very unimpressed with the refill staff that night.

And even more disappointing was our recent breakfast experience here. Never had a bad experience at breakfast here and we go everytime, BUT, this past trip there were such slim pickens for a buffet (no french toast, no pancakes-just hard Mickey waffles, eggs and potatoes and cold stuff), it was a bummer. DD barely ate anything and the bagel I asked our server to toast came back 20 minutes later as hard as a rock. Think we'll be skipping this one too for a while and hope they make some improvements as we'll miss it (but not the lousy food or lack of good food).

dawgfan
09-13-2006, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the review.

Lexxiefern
09-13-2006, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the review. Cape May is one of my favorite dinners - sorry you didn't love it.